http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/linton_johnson.jpg

Position: F
Born: Jun 13, 1980
Height: 6-8 / 2,03
Weight: 225 lbs. / 102,1 kg.
College : Tulane

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/linton_johnson/index.html

Plusses:
1.Knows the Spurs Defensive System from spending a year in the system.

2.Is above average rebounder.

IE: His NO rates per 48 would have been third on the Spurs this season.
In 18 minutes avged over 4 boards per game, compare this with Nazr Mohammed, the Spurs second leading rebounder who averaged a little over 5 per game in 17 minutes of play.

His 4.2 board per game in 17.4 minutes of play would have made him the Spurs 3rd leading rebounder this season.

3.Puts out effort on defense.

4.Showed decent accuracy from 3 point range in limited minutes with the Hornets. 361% on 13-36 shooting.

5.Should be able to be signed cheap.

6.Was here last year...we won a title last year. Coincidence? Probably, but it can't hurt to err on the side of caution now can it?

7.Runs like Dennis Rodman.

Negatives:
1.His shooting stroke makes Nazr Mohammed look like Reggie Miller.

2.Looks like Nazr Mohammed(which means Pop might leave him on the bench should we meet the Mavs in the playoffs next season).

3.Still developing his NBA game on offense.

4.His ball handling when last seen in a Spurs uniform made Nazr look like John Stockton.

I'd like to see the Spurs bring him back...he can definitely rebound and defend and if he has improved his 3 shooting and ball handling he could break into the rotation and help us against teams like the Mavs and Suns.

SPARKY
06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
Not a bad idea for the minimum, but he's not a killer app.

whottt
06-05-2006, 08:41 AM
We have limited options...this guy has the ability to be a contributor at the major need area of this team. He's above a scrub level talent. And he probably can be signed for the minimum. He's a nice stopgap option and one the Spurs should keep an eye on.

1Parker1
06-05-2006, 09:05 AM
You think Pop would actually play him?

Mavschick
06-05-2006, 09:07 AM
He's kind of like Darvin Ham - a good 10-minutes-of-hustle-and-energy-off- the-bench but nothing more than a deep sub/12th man.

boutons_
06-05-2006, 09:13 AM
stopgap until .... ?? It's not even 1 July, yet, and we're already stopping gaps?

Why not first try fill the damn gaps with players who willl help, then fill out the IR with LJII types?

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Linton Tea?

ObiwanGinobili
06-05-2006, 09:33 AM
isn't the IR a thing of the past? didn't the last CBA just about kill the IR?? or was I hallucinating?

boutons_
06-05-2006, 09:38 AM
ok, IR is gone. the inactive reserve.

waly.mg
06-05-2006, 09:42 AM
We only need great Players who can play minutes, not players for the Doghouse

whottt
06-05-2006, 09:50 AM
stopgap until .... ?? It's not even 1 July, yet, and we're already stopping gaps?

Why not first try fill the damn gaps with players who willl help, then fill out the IR with LJII types?

We only have the MLE and the LLE, and we are going to be extremely lucky to get 2 quality guys with our MLE. Barring a major trade, at least one of the team gaps is going to be filled with this type of player.

I know you guys want to fill our gaps with All Stars, but until something arises on the trade front...this type of speculation does have merit. And if you ask me you are just setting yourself up to be frustrated by thinking we are going to hit a grandslam and fill all our needs pefectly. Then again, you are boutons, and have no purpose in life if it's not to go around in a fit of miserable high strung bitching...so g'head and do your thing.

I don't think anyone can judge this kids upside or downside yet, he's only been in the league 3 years.

whottt
06-05-2006, 09:50 AM
We only need great Players who can play minutes, not players for the Doghouse

People in hell need icewater...

Texas_Ranger
06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
If he is a good rebounder we should take him in the team, but if he is going to play just for about 3-5 minutes per game, then better not.

easjer
06-05-2006, 10:17 AM
I was sorry that we did not resign him. He was reportedly a very hard worker and had potential as a Bowen replacement. Could his shooting/ball handling be improved by working with Chip? If so, add him back in (though seeing if there is a better deal to catch first isn't a bad idea).

timvp
06-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I liked Linton before the Spurs signed him and I like him now. It sucked that he got injured before training camp even started and never got a shot in SA. However, last year I watched him play a few times and he looked good.

He's definitely a rebounding long three that the Spurs need. Because his offense is so bad, he's not that high on my list. Although he makes more sense to me than a big name like Jared Jeffries and would be a nice signing for the minimum.

ace3g
06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
I was also thinking if the spurs relook at that deal of barry for jr smith why dont they see if they can get LJIII with Smith, 2 birds with one stone type deal

ace3g
06-05-2006, 03:28 PM
that way you get smith/LJIII instead of smith/Macijauskas

ChumpDumper
06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
This guy can't remember a play to save his life. I guess we only call plays that sit him at one place at all times, he might work out. I like almost everything else about the guy.

Bruno
06-05-2006, 05:33 PM
This guy can't remember a play to save his life. I guess we only call plays that sit him at one place at all times, he might work out. I like almost everything else about the guy.

a la Kevin Willis ? :lol

Rynospursfan
06-05-2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/linton_johnson.jpg
4.His ball handling when last seen in a Spurs uniform made Nazr look like John Stockton.

He played 2 games and took 2 shots, how many times could he have possibly dribbled? 10?

whottt
06-05-2006, 06:52 PM
He played 2 games and took 2 shots, how many times could he have possibly dribbled? 10?

Actually...it was more like one game he actually played in, the second game he was just in for a timeout...and yes, that one game was enough to judge.

He looked that good on d, that energetic, and that lousy on offense.

The fact that he only played 2 games is revelatory in and of itself. Ask any Spursfan that saw those games...their scouting report will resemble mine. His hands and shooting did make Nazr look good.

I think his total actual activity in a Spurs uni was stealing or coming up with the the ball impressively on 2 consecutive plays, to be followed by an awful upcourt dribble and shot each time. I think he threw a TO in there as well somehwere...he was thoroughly hideous on offense and 2 games was plenty enough time for me,(and the Spurs) to come to that conclusion.

LakerHater
06-05-2006, 06:55 PM
he was supossed to be the next Bruce Bowen.

whottt
06-05-2006, 06:57 PM
And he still could be...his D looked awesome while he was here. Bruce didn't make it into the NBA solidly until he was 28 or 29 years old.

FWIW, I do think LJ improved quite a bit on offense this season, obviously his 3 shot improved. He improved enough to where he was even earning some starts with NO/OK. I didn't get to see any of those games though.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
whawhottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt??

LJIII would be the shit. Bring back him AND Romain Sato, i say.

spurster
06-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Been there, done that.

Better to try someone else.

spurs=bling
06-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Linton??? http://bestsmileys.com/fainting/2.gif