PDA

View Full Version : free agent Tim Thomas

ducks
06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
he is a sun but someone has to go unless they want to pay taxes

It will be hard to re-sign unrestricted free agent Tim Thomas, even at a midlevel exception starting price of about $5.5 million, and avoid being taxed unless a player is moved.

also
Phoenix has until preseason to work out contract extensions for its rising players, Barbosa and Diaw, who reiterated hopes to stay Sunday. Barbosa, 23, might sign for a deal approaching the one Bell signed last year (five years, $24 million), but Diaw, 24, will be much more expensive. Both remain on rookie deals next season, paying them a combined $3.5 million.

they also have a 3.6 trade exception

so who do suns keep?

JamStone
06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I think there will be several teams interested in Tim Thomas for the MLE, and plenty of them contenders.

Miami
San Antonio
Dallas
LA Lakers
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Washington
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Houston
LA Clippers
Golden State

All of those teams could use a veteran combo forward that can shoot the 3-ball. Especially at the MLE. Tim Thomas will have a lot of options this summer. As lazy and as untapped as his expected potential has been, he raised his value since he joined the Suns and especially in the playoffs. Teams will bid for his services.

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I think they try to resign Thomas, but they try to move Marion and his $15M a year contract while his value is at its peak.

And no, before someone mentions it, I don't think they'll take a package involving Rasho for Marion. :)

Amarelooms
06-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Tim Thomas is going no where...he fits in perfectly in Phoenix. Don't forget...AMARE LOOMS. Next year is the year of the Suns. Expect them to win 65+ and cruise through the playoffs.

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Tim Thomas is going no where...he fits in perfectly in Phoenix. Don't forget...AMARE LOOMS. Next year is the year of the Suns. Expect them to win 65+ and cruise through the playoffs.
They could certainly win 65. They should be dangerous in the playoffs.

I'll believe that they can "cruise through" the playoffs only when I see it.

ducks
06-05-2006, 11:25 AM
article posted in nba forum has them NOT trading marion

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks, ducks. I hadn't seen that yet. :)

picnroll
06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Suns are going to try to sign Diaw and Barbosa to extensions this summer. They also have a couple of picks' salaries to deal with or trade. A blessig is that in the next couple of years they'll likely have a couple of lottery picks courtesy of Atlanta but they'll also have the attendant salaries of those lottery picks, starting minimum likely $2 million. Don't count too heavily on Thomas being a Sun. Maybe, just maybe if they can unload Marion without taking on salary they'll keep Thomas.

Thomas has said money will matter. He also said he's not interested in NJ.

JamStone
06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Starting frontcourt of Amare, Marion, and Diaw would be nice.

But, that means Tim Thomas is not starting. He could get a guaranteed starting position with a lot of other teams. Diaw, Marion, and Amare (when healthy) all merit 36-42 minutes a game. Where does that leave Tim Thomas, especially if they're closer to the 40 mpg marks?

While I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Thomas remains a Phoenix Sun, it also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he chooses to go somewhere else.

mabber
06-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I don't see Thomas going anywhere. He definitely is in a good situation in Phoenix. In regards to the Suns cruising thru the playoffs...that could very well happen but I think Diop is quick enough to slow Amare down somewhat (Mavs didn't have him to guard Amare in prior years). And that is assuming Amare is back playing at that top level. The odds are against that happening.

Extra Stout
06-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Tim Thomas is going to sign with the highest bidder and retire in place as soon as he gets paid.

picnroll
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I don't see Thomas going anywhere. He definitely is in a good situation in Phoenix. In regards to the Suns cruising thru the playoffs...that could very well happen but I think Diop is quick enough to slow Amare down somewhat (Mavs didn't have him to guard Amare in prior years). And that is assuming Amare is back playing at that top level. The odds are against that happening.
Amare will foul Diop out in one minute tops.

George Gervin's Afro
06-05-2006, 11:46 AM
No to the Spurs signing Thomas because we need to get younger.

JamStone
06-05-2006, 11:46 AM
One thing is none of us know for sure if Amare will come back even remotely close to the player he was before getting injured.

Penny Hardaway.

And, with Amare, the majority of his game is built on power and explosion. It remains to be seen how great Amare will be when he is "recovered." I hope he's close to what he was because he was really fun to watch. But, even Suns fans can't bank on that happening for sure.

JamStone
06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Thomas is 29 years old. You don't want to go too young and have the player not be able to effectively contribute.

Considering the ages of Tim and Manu, Thomas is actually at the right age to add to the Spurs if both sides were interested.

mabber
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Amare will foul Diop out in one minute tops.

That's 45 seconds longer than he used to foul Dampier out in :lol :depressed

BillsCarnage
06-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Marion will always be the topic of trade rumors until he's traded. There's been mention in a nation article (ESPN?) or local sports show of Sarver not being too fond of Marion. I'll see if i can find the article.

However, i think they should keep this team together for next season and worry about salaries after that. Give them a healthy Amare and KT and i'll put them up against any team in the league.

The only concern i have is that everyone has a busy off-season and hopefully they won't come back tired.

rayray2k8
06-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Hellboy.
I like that nickname.
I wished someone would of came up with one before, cuz Amare is a fucking beast.

baseline bum
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
No way in hell do I want the Spurs signing Tim Thomas. I wanted to rent him for the season in 2006, but I would never had that bum a 3-year, much less a 5-year contract. Thomas has always been one of the great busts in NBA History, and I think he'll return to being that next year. Phoenix would be nuts to move a player as versitale as Marion to keep a two-month wonder like Thomas.

strangeweather
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Phoenix would be nuts to move a player as versitale as Marion to keep a two-month wonder like Thomas.
If it were just an either-or, it wouldn't even be a question. But they've got other guys like Diaw that are going to need to get paid after this next year, in addition to big deals for Amare and Nash.

Marion is an all-star -- the only knock is that he's being paid like he's the franchise.

ducks
06-05-2006, 02:30 PM
If I am thomas I make sure if I sign with suns I make raises if I am traded

timvp
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Tim Thomas is going to sign with the highest bidder and retire in place as soon as he gets paid.

Yeah, this is what I think too. If Thomas played like he did with the Suns, he'd make a lot of sense. But that is highly unlikely. He only plays well when he's motivated ... and having a 5-year contract will be no motivation at all.

He's pretty much what the Spurs are looking for but hopefully they don't fall for the fool's gold.