PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an objective explanation.....

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok Kori, I didn't see the game but I'd like to know wtf went on. Gasol may have been Duncan's bitch last year in the regular season but he played well against him in the playoffs. I gave Tim the benefit of the doubt because he had recently come back from injury but wtf went on today?

Gasol went off for 29 points to Tim's 9? Someone was a bitch and it wasn't Gasol.

KoriEllis
08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Duncan only played 4 minutes in the first half and had five points (foul trouble).

In the second half, Gasol was held in check and Duncan played relatively passive to stay out of foul trouble. Though he had a few awesome defensive plays.

Gasol had a great first half and I give him props for that (though it wasn't against Duncan).

timvp
08-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Ok Kori, I didn't see the game

There's your answer, buddy.

Kevin Kaster
08-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Duncan absolutely owned Gasol when he was allowed to guard him. Gasol tore up everyone else he was guarded by. Then again, he got ridiculous superstar-like NBA treatment.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:38 AM
That still doesn't explain why Tim is getting into foul trouble early in a huge game. What's the deal?

LiLMissSPURFECT
08-26-2004, 10:39 AM
most of gasol's points were from line......let him try that flopping sh*t in nba ....

The int'l game is hard to watch with the calls they're making......

timvp
Why do you and your brother try to pin stuff on Duncan all the time. Is this Walton postng on the wrong computer again?

KoriEllis
Duncan absolutely owned Gasol when he was allowed to guard him.

He always does.

The commentators talking about how well Gasol played against "Duncan and the Spurs" this season was dumb too. They failed to mention Duncan didn't play in three of those regular season games.

Gasol is improving and not a bad player, but he's still Duncan's bitch.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:40 AM
There's your answer, buddy.Yes, that's why I asked the questions. What's your point?

timvp
08-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Duncan should have translated for the Spanish coach so that there wouldn't have been a fight. Duncan is such a soft player.

[/walton fam]

WriterNum934
08-26-2004, 10:41 AM
The first two USA offensive baskets were by Timmy, the latter being a AND1 play.

He then after 4 minutes of play got two fouls and sat the REST OF THE HALF (some 16 minutes).

He returned in the second half but had to play very carefully and passively because any bump and it's a foul. But on defense none the less, he makes key blocks and knew when to help on D.

As for Pau and his points, simply put, he owned Odom and Boozer, the main guys guarding him.

KoriEllis
08-26-2004, 10:42 AM
That still doesn't explain why Tim is getting into foul trouble early in a huge game.

One call was legit. The other was a weird Euro type call on the perimeter.

I never complain about refs, so I'm not blaming them. But this game was very hard to figure out what was going to be called and what wasn't. There were times a ticky-tack hand on the hip was a foul and a few minutes later a mugging wasn't.

Oh well, like Pop says, you can't worry about the officiating and just have to keep playing.

Duncan had a good defensive second half. He never got into the flow much offensively.

Marbury was super clutch today.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Why do you and your brother try to pin stuff on Duncan all the time. Is this Walton postng on the wrong computer again?Relax, I just wanted to know why Tim's matchup looked so lopsided after looking at the boxscore. And Walton is not my brother for the record.

WriterNum934
08-26-2004, 10:43 AM
That second foul on Timmy was BS. The guy faked a shot at the three and Timmy ran out to contend but the player drove instead and they bumped shoulders.

Whistle! Foul. BS!

WriterNum934
08-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I just wanted to know why Tim's matchup looked so lopsided after looking at the boxscore.

The fact is, Timmy hardly guarded Pau.

It was the Laker great Odom and the Putback (but not into Cleveland) King Boozer who were guarding Gasol and they were getting abused. Pau dunked on them atleast once and I think twice on Odom.

Whottt
08-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Gasol is a good player...he's a very good player, I don't see what the big deal is about him having a good game. There's a reason Spain was undefeated and riding a 10 game winning streak coming into this game.

WriterNum934
08-26-2004, 10:51 AM
No doubt Whott. I'd love it if he were on the Spurs along Duncan.

But it still doesn't take away from the fact that

A) Duncan owns Gasol like a pimp to a ho.

B) One of the villains from Superman II now plays for Spain.

KoriEllis
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Gasol's a good player, but he didn't do much when it counted.
He scored only 4 in the fourth quarter. He definitely dominated everyone who was trying to guard him in the first half though. USA was horrible defensively in the first half.

KoriEllis
08-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Question -- How tall is Gasol? He's got at least 4 inches on Duncan.

timvp
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Spain passes it to Gasol every time up the court. He better finish with that many points or something is wrong.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Gasol is a good player...he's a very good player, I don't see what the big deal is about him having a good game. There's a reason Spain was undefeated and riding a 10 game winning streak coming into this game. Yes, he's a good player but so is Tim. I'm not sure why he was allowed to be guarded by Boozer and Odom when they're mismatched and judging by his numbers, he clearly abused them.

It's just very unusual to see Tim score in single digits in a critical game. Who was guarding him? It makes me very uneasy to see that we required a 30 point effort from Marbury to get this win.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 10:56 AM
Question -- How tall is Gasol? He's got at least 4 inches on Duncan.:wtf

He's listed as 7'0". Duncan is probably 6'11" but he shouldn't have 4" on him.

Jimcs50
08-26-2004, 10:56 AM
TD played great defense even when he had 4 fouls. That assist to Marbury when Marbury hit the 3 was great, that was a key basket down the stretch.

Whottt
08-26-2004, 11:11 AM
THJ...Duncan likes to put his hand on guys hips when he is defending them...you can get away with that in the NBA but it is illegal in international comp and the refs will call it. Just a bad habit...

Team USA is not playing with a full hand here...they don't know each other like these other teams do, they don't know the rules like these other teams do.

I wanted to kick Doug Collins ass when he said team USA was just turning on the switch...it's not true...these guys are not gods that can just master all styles of play and learn their teamates in a month and a half.

Anyway Gasol picked up at least two fouls on Duncan because of that hand check.....

Spain plays American style ball anyway...they take it inside and they went at Duncan all day. Even when it wasn't Gasol it was other players..

Duncan stepped up huge on D in the second half though and he was a big reason Gasol had the lousy 4th quarter.

Gasol is a going to be a great player...he is big, and he is tough...I personally like the way he plays...no he'll never be Duncan but he's definitely one of the better bigmen in the NBA and he's going to get even better...

Guy is only like 21 or 22. He and Spain played well today...Team USA was the one that pulled off the upset...

Solid D
08-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Spain plays American style ball anyway...they take it inside and they went at Duncan all day. Even when it wasn't Gasol it was other players..

True, Spain's style is closer to team USA than almost any other team in the Olympic tournament, including the lower 3-pt shooting proficiency. That is why some would say that getting Spain in the first game was to the USA's advantage.

Team USA is still vulnerable to a hot 3-pt. shooting team that drives and kicks.

Spurminator
08-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Duncan has two or three guys draped all over him every play on offense before he even gets the ball. He just hasn't been given enough opportunities to score, because teams are allowing the perimeter players to shoot at will.

It's a different game. There's no Defensive 3 Seconds, for one thing, so two players can stand between Tim and the basket. Entire defenses are built around keeping Duncan from touching the ball.

TwoHandJam
08-26-2004, 11:37 AM
THJ...Duncan likes to put his hand on guys hips when he is defending them...you can get away with that in the NBA but it is illegal in international comp and the refs will call it. Just a bad habit...

Team USA is not playing with a full hand here...they don't know each other like these other teams do, they don't know the rules like these other teams do.

I wanted to kick Doug Collins ass when he said team USA was just turning on the switch...it's not true...these guys are not gods that can just master all styles of play and learn their teamates in a month and a half.

Anyway Gasol picked up at least two fouls on Duncan because of that hand check.....

Duncan stepped up huge on D in the second half though and he was a big reason Gasol had the lousy 4th quarter.Thanks for the clarification Whottt. I didn't see the game and when I saw the boxscore, it didn't look too impressive for TD. He only managed 4 rebs as well. 2 blocks is good in the limited time played but I guess he must have altered a lot of shots and made other defensive plays that just don't show up on the stat sheet.

SAmikeyp
08-26-2004, 12:36 PM
I wanted to kick Doug Collins ass when he said team USA was just turning on the switch...

Craig Sager asked Marbury that and Steph said that wasn't it...he said its been a learning experience for Team USA. Which is true.

From Way Downtown
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
He scored only 4 in the fourth quarter.

. . . and those 4 points came only after the game was, for the most part, decided -- two free throws with about two minutes left and an undefended dunk with 9 seconds to go.

For what it's worth, the play-by-play (http://www.nbcolympics.com/results/5052329/detail.html)shows that in the first half, when Pau got 19 of his 29, he got 4 before Duncan's second foul and 15 after it. Paul had 6 in the 3rd Quarter, but only 2 before Duncan picked up his 3rd foul. So, with Duncan on the floor, Pau had 10 (though, obviously, Tim wasn't necessarily guarding him at all times).

Gasol was terrific, especially going left against Boozer/Odom in the first half, and he padded his numbers with a couple of cheapie put-backs and lobs after the Spanish guards broke down the perimeter defense, but virtually all of his damage was done with Duncan stewing after those "interesting" calls in the 1st.

I thought Duncan was an absolute horse in the 4th with his defense, particularly given his foul trouble. Spain had that possession where it got the 3, the foul, the ball, and about 4 looks at the hoop. The best look they had in that series was a drive that Duncan swatted away, forcing a scramble situation. When the U.S. survived that possession, I think the Spanish lost any belief they had that they could win the game.

I thought Lampley hit the nail on the head immediately after the game when he called Duncan "the best 4 foul defender in the world."