PDA

View Full Version : Dumars hopes to keep Pistons' nucleus together FLIP IS BACK

ducks
06-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Dumars hopes to keep Pistons' nucleus together
By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Joe Dumars hopes to take his chances at competing for a title next year with the top six players the Detroit Pistons have had the past two seasons.

If Detroit is able to re-sign Ben Wallace, an unrestricted free agent, the Pistons president of basketball operations said he expects to keep the team's nucleus intact to make another run after falling short of the NBA finals for the first time since 2003.

ADVERTISEMENT
"This window we have right now is not closed by any means, so you have to maximize that as much as possible," Dumars said Monday at a postseason news conference. "You don't do what we did and get to where we got and say, 'We're not good enough."'

Dumars said he was "very disappointed" Detroit was eliminated by the Miami Heat in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals Friday night. But the player-turned-executive does not agree with those who said the Pistons failed or collapsed.

"If you want to call it disappointing, I'm with you 100 percent," he said.

The Pistons won a franchise-record and NBA-high 64 games and had four All-Stars for the first time in franchise history last season. Tayshaun Prince, the only starter that wasn't an All-Star, was their most consistent player in the playoffs, and reserve Antonio McDyess was a key contributor for much of the year.

Dumars wants those top six players back but acknowledged Ben Wallace could opt to sign for more money elsewhere.

"He's an unrestricted free agent, so at the end of the day, it's going to be Ben's call," Dumars said.

But what if a team offers Wallace a maximum contract?

"You're going too deep," Dumars said with a smile, declining to answer the question he might have to answer this summer.

Dumars said he talked briefly to Wallace last weekend about the upcoming negotiations with his agent, Arn Tellem, that can begin July 1.

"My thing to him was, 'How do you want me to deal with Arn?"' Dumars recalled. "And he said, 'Just get it done as quick as possible.' I was like, 'Cool."'

Besides re-signing Wallace, the Pistons would like to add more scoring off the bench, perhaps from a quick point guard. They plan to use the midlevel exception -- paying a free agent, or free agents, about $5 million annually -- and could also make a move with a trade.

"We have to rely less on the top six guys to carry everything. That can only go on so long," Dumars said. "We've relied on this starting five, top six for a while, and that has to change."

Dumars said he expects to have three or four new reserves next season but intends to bring back Carlos Delfino. He said the seldom-used player has not requested a trade.

The Pistons parted ways with Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown last summer after he led them to a championship and a return trip to the finals. Three years ago, they fired former coach Rick Carlisle after he took them to the conference finals in his second season.

Dumars said coach Flip Saunders will definitely return next fall for a second year.

"He's as safe as anybody here. That's a non-issue," Dumars said.

Bruno
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
A question for Pistons fans :
What was your main weakness against Miami and what need to be changed for next season to beat them ?

For Spurs the answer is something like the lack of a bigman who can defend on Dirk or Howard.

himat
06-05-2006, 08:11 PM
What was your main weakness against Miami and what need to be changed for next season to beat them ?

For Spurs the answer is something like the lack of a bigman who can defend on Dirk or Howard.

The "6 starters" ran out of gas. We didn't play the bench and it caught up with us. I hope Dumars resigns Ben, gets Bonzi Wells or some other good free agent, and Flip plays some of this talent we have on the bench. I'd rather see the Pistons go 50-32 with the starters playing 30 or less mpg than 40 = with another 65 win season.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2006, 09:00 PM
LOL Detroit will become such a joke after the now infamous Meltdown in Miami.

Drop that coach and get you a Mike Browwwwwn.

Vizzini
06-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Bench production, and rest for the playoffs. Flip also needs to adjust and perhaps go do some different things himself. I also think the Pistons need to lurk in the shadows and not win 60+ games a year. They are a better team when they are lying in wake, ready to pounce on some big fat ego bloated team.

FreshPrince22
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Bench production, and rest for the playoffs. Flip also needs to adjust and perhaps go do some different things himself. I also think the Pistons need to lurk in the shadows and not win 60+ games a year. They are a better team when they are lying in wake, ready to pounce on some big fat ego bloated team.

Personally, I hope they just cut the starters down to 30 minutes a game and let the bench gel and young players get experience. Normally, 36mpg would be fine. But these guys have played 83 playoff games in the last 4 years. That's like an entire seperate season. We need some fresh blood to help grind-out the 82. Get into the playoffs and make our move from there. We don't need 60 wins to win a title.

Pistons < Spurs
06-05-2006, 10:51 PM

Attitude. Energy. Effort. A true low post scorer.

Vinnie_Johnson
06-05-2006, 11:29 PM

I think it was just the fact the Heat were the hungry team and we were worn out and missed a ton of shots. Props to the heat they were the better team.

Darrin
06-05-2006, 11:37 PM
Personally, I hope they just cut the starters down to 30 minutes a game and let the bench gel and young players get experience. Normally, 36mpg would be fine. But these guys have played 83 playoff games in the last 4 years. That's like an entire seperate season. We need some fresh blood to help grind-out the 82. Get into the playoffs and make our move from there. We don't need 60 wins to win a title.

It doesn't have to be that severe. The Pistons had a bench in 2004, and have yet to replace Memo, Corliss, and Mike James. There was a game in 2004 that Memo out-rebounded Ben Wallace. It was the proudest day of his life.

They need to use these guys in key situations that keep the minutes down, or the stress of having to win and lose down. It doesn't necessarily have to be reflected in their averages. They are averaging good time. But the problem became Flip played them 45 minutes a night at the beginning of the season, put a lot of miles on them mentally, and then sat them down for the month of April to give everyone a nice vacation. Then, they had to gear back up for the postseason after that mini-break. This team needs to switch that around. October and November are for making sure everyone knows the system, and for the coaching staff to determine who is capable. Those are the goals. April is to make sure that established 9-man rotation is humming for the postseason. It's been that way since I can remember - except this season. The Pistons had everything wrapped up in 2004 and 2005 as well by mid-month. The only game they took off was the last one of the season.

The starting five don't have to be the best players on the court every night of the season in order to have a chance to win. It's the bench that has to match the starter's play, not the starters matching the bench's. They need leadership on the bench that says "we're going to be the best in the league." That's depth.

All those components, that is what has been missing since 2004.

Bruno
06-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Thanks for your answers.

Another question I have is about Big Ben and his extension :
This article say that Pistons will re-sign him and sign a point guard with the MLE. If Ben Wallace get a starting salary at $12M, pistons won't be able to spend more than $2M of their MLE without paying the Luxury Tax.
So I wonder what Pistons will do :
Pay the Luxury tax ?
Try to find a $2M backup PG who will likely be average ?
Sign an old player for the min (like NVE or Payton) ?
Trade young players + draft pick to get a talented PG who is still on his rookie contract ?
Trade Dale Davis to a team under the cap to save money and use the full MLE on a quality player ?
or maybe Ben Wallace will get less than $12m as starting salary ?

jochhejaam
06-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for your answers.

Another question I have is about Big Ben and his extension :
This article say that Pistons will re-sign him and sign a point guard with the MLE. If Ben Wallace get a starting salary at $12M, pistons won't be able to spend more than $2M of their MLE without paying the Luxury Tax.
So I wonder what Pistons will do :
Pay the Luxury tax ?
Try to find a $2M backup PG who will likely be average ?
Sign an old player for the min (like NVE or Payton) ?
Trade young players + draft pick to get a talented PG who is still on his rookie contract ?
Trade Dale Davis to a team under the cap to save money and use the full MLE on a quality player ?
or maybe Ben Wallace will get less than $12m as starting salary ?
I heard last year that owner Bill Davidson didn't want to get into the luxury tax salary range.

Edit: Found an article substantiating that.

Bill Davidson isn't cheap, but he abhors going above the NBA's luxury-tax threshold because he believes it's a sign of irresponsible ownership.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/110105/spo_2005110109.shtml

ObiwanGinobili
06-06-2006, 08:15 AM
I heard last year that owner Bill Davidson didn't want to get into the luxury tax salary range.

Edit: Found an article substantiating that.

Bill Davidson isn't cheap, but he abhors going above the NBA's luxury-tax threshold because he believes it's a sign of irresponsible ownership.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/110105/spo_2005110109.shtml

Holt cat don;t go there 'cause he's cheap. :lol

PaceMonster
06-06-2006, 09:20 AM
the Pistons need Bonzi or Al Harrington very badly....also a Sheed and alot of other stuff for KG wouldnt be bad

mabber
06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
the Pistons need Bonzi or Al Harrington very badly....also a Sheed and alot of other stuff for KG wouldnt be bad

I think Bonzi would be a great fit with Detroit. I'm not sure who would start at the 3 (Bonzi or Prince) and who would come off the bench but if one of them was willing to accept being 6th man it would make Detroit a much better team.

msufan420
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
After his incredible play against the Spurs this postseason, Bonzi will likely demand and get more money than the MLE.

FreshPrince22
06-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I think Bonzi would be a great fit with Detroit. I'm not sure who would start at the 3 (Bonzi or Prince) and who would come off the bench but if one of them was willing to accept being 6th man it would make Detroit a much better team.

Bonzi would obviously come off the bench if he were to come here (which isn't likely). Tayshaun was the guy who stepped his game up all throughout the playoffs. Bonzi would come in and play the 30mpg role backing up Prince and Rip. I don't think it's in Joe's plans though since he seems determined to get Delfino involved. Bringing in Bonzi would absolutely kill that thought. That's why I think they'll go after a Sam Cassell, Marcus Banks, Speedy Claxton type. Then hope Delfino turns into that slasher we need.

ducks
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I think they go after speedy because he is that quick point guard
and he also is younger then sam

banks is a dream not reality for pistons

sickdsm
06-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Jeez man, you were arguing this top to all hell preseason too.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34066&highlight=starter

Except you were jumping all over everyone for saying idiotic things like the Pistons starters are playing too many minutes.

jochhejaam
06-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Re-signing Wallace is a must if Pistons want another title

If the Pistons offer Wallace, their unrestricted free-agent center, what he deserves, there should be no reason a deal can't be reached.

Wallace, who will be 32 next season, should command a contract between $10 million and $12 million a year for four years.

If another team decides to be fiscally irresponsible -- by offering Wallace a max contract in excess of $15 million a season -- all bets are off. The Pistons, one of the best-run franchises in the NBA, have never simply thrown money around, so you can't expect a major bidding war.

"Ben Wallace is a high priority," Pistons president Joe Dumars said. "We want to re-sign him. He's an unrestricted free agent, though.

"At the end of the day, it's going to be Ben's decision."

Good with the bad

All signs are Wallace wants to be here. That's a good start. It's not enough, however.

The Pistons must come in with an outstanding offer with no games. The last thing they want to do is disrespect Wallace with a lowball offer.

Pistons officials have too much respect for Wallace to pull a scam like that.

Those who believe the Pistons shouldn't re-sign Wallace because he missed free throws in the disappointing postseason are overreacting.

Sure, it was terrible. Big Ben will be the first to tell you that. But Wallace always has been a great defender and a terrible free-throw shooter. In order to get one part of his game, you have to take the other.

Every player has a weakness he wishes he could correct. The same goes for Wallace taking his coaches to task publicly. You'd rather that be kept in-house, but it doesn't mean a player is a bad guy because he disagrees with his boss.

Addition, not subtraction

Let's not forget, Wallace has been named defensive player of the year four out of the last five seasons. That's nothing to pooh-pooh, especially when you know defense wins championships.

After all, isn't that what this is all about? It's about giving the Pistons a shot at another title.

Breaking up the starting five wouldn't give you the best chance to win again.

Adding players is the key.

Take a look around the East. The Pistons will again be considered one of the teams to beat.

Miami's squad is older. Nobody knows how long Shaquille O'Neal's knees will hold up.

Are LeBron James and the Cavaliers scary? Not yet. They still have to acquire more talent if they want to be in the hunt.

The windows of opportunity for the Nets and Pacers probably have closed.

That leaves the Pistons front and center.

They can win again.

It's not over.

Just ask the Spurs. They've never won back-to-back titles. But they have won three championships in seven years.

They didn't scrap their core because they lost. They simply added new pieces to go with what they had and what had worked.

Without question, another championship is obtainable.

That's why keeping Wallace is a no-brainer.

He's worth the loot.

Rob Parker Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060607/SPORTS08/606070382/1127/SPORTS0102

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 09:23 PM
mike brown

WHO-WHOOOO
MIKE BROWWWWWWWWWWNNN

bdubya
06-07-2006, 10:59 PM

Main weakness was a lack of clarity about the "Ball goes in the hole" thing. We shoot 45%, we win.

Needs to be changed? Bench depth and versatility - we need to be able to bring some different looks off the bench, and Flip needs to actually USE it. IMHO, he gets another year to show he can learn that trick, and if he can't, he's gone.

And one little minor note that I've posted elsewhere but haven't mentioned here: in the Heat, we may be seeing a team that has figured out how to play defense in the New NBA. All those open looks the Pistons bricked came out of the flow of the offense, and usually very late in the clock, to players who were usually not in their preferred spots. You can say we just happened to start shooting like ass when it really mattered, but for this year's high-scoring Pistons to suddenly suck so bad, I really think Miami's defense gets a whole lot of the credit, playing an effective zone, showing just enough of a double-team early in the clock to keep the Pistons off balance, closing the passing lanes, doing a lot of very effective stuff without actually, y'know, bumping and grabbing and getting in foul trouble. I'm interested to see how the Mavs fare against it.

himat
06-08-2006, 05:43 AM
Main weakness was a lack of clarity about the "Ball goes in the hole" thing. We shoot 45%, we win.

Needs to be changed? Bench depth and versatility - we need to be able to bring some different looks off the bench, and Flip needs to actually USE it. IMHO, he gets another year to show he can learn that trick, and if he can't, he's gone.

And one little minor note that I've posted elsewhere but haven't mentioned here: in the Heat, we may be seeing a team that has figured out how to play defense in the New NBA. All those open looks the Pistons bricked came out of the flow of the offense, and usually very late in the clock, to players who were usually not in their preferred spots. You can say we just happened to start shooting like ass when it really mattered, but for this year's high-scoring Pistons to suddenly suck so bad, I really think Miami's defense gets a whole lot of the credit, playing an effective zone, showing just enough of a double-team early in the clock to keep the Pistons off balance, closing the passing lanes, doing a lot of very effective stuff without actually, y'know, bumping and grabbing and getting in foul trouble. I'm interested to see how the Mavs fare against it.

Thats because we need to find a guy who can get us paint points whether its a lightning quick gaurd or a 7 foot post player. We need to get a bench and use it in the regular season to keep the starting 5 juiced for the playoffs. We were running on a half gallon of gas and we were only shooting jumpshots, not a good combonation at all. Joe D. told Flip he wants more bench players on the court so I'm hoping he listens.