PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Needs an ESPN Zone

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay somebody needs to get the powers that be who have money to get this city an ESPN Zone facility. I was in Baltimore Friday night and caught the series between the Heat and Pistons.

The place was off the chain!!!.

This would be the ultimate get together spot for sports fans.

Was there Saturday for a bit to watch some of the Mavs/Suns. Again...off the freaking chain.

This town deserves a place like this!!

Can you imagine how crazy Spurs fans would get seeing the away games there?

dknights411
06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I thought that Hardberger didn't wan't any more chain restaurants on the riverwalk (where I would assume the place would be located).

The old Champions at Rivercenter Mall (Now a Chili's) was a pretty good place to eat and watch a game too. Too bad it's gone now.

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
screw flippin hardberger....we're a tourist city for pete's sake!!

angel_luv
06-06-2006, 01:42 PM
I can barely stand the ESPN crew on my smaller screen.

I certainly would not want to watch ESPN any place where I didn't have a mute button handy. :lol

Old School Chic
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I can barely stand the ESPN crew on my smaller screen.

I certainly would not want to watch ESPN any place where I didn't have a mute button handy. :lol

:lol

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
an espnzone is the worst possible place i could imagine to watch a game

And since you've never been there....your great observation on this is what?

I was there and the place had great atmosphere for watching a big game.

Nbadan
06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I watched most of the Pistons-SA series at the ESPNZone in Las Vegas last year. Best time I have ever had watching an NBA series. 3 - 52" high-def plasmas and that was just in the bar.

atxrocker
06-06-2006, 03:00 PM
i would like to see a billiards tournament if one was build in sa

spur219
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
ESPN Zone is awesome. I went to the one in Vegas.

davi78239
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Isn't there one in Las Vegas somewhere? I've thought I've seen one of these over there.

spur219
06-06-2006, 03:08 PM
Ya that is the one I went to. I believe its inside the NewYork NewYork

leemajors
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
the espn zones in new york and chicago are a blast. i don't think one major sports team justifies putting one in SA. maybe dallas or houston.

davi78239
06-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Ya that is the one I went to. I believe its inside the NewYork NewYork

There you go. That's where I saw it. Along with the Coyote Ugly.

DarrinS
06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
ESPN Zone's are to sports, what Chuck E. Cheese is to pizza.

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
yeah the one in vegas is in New York, New York

ducks
06-06-2006, 03:48 PM
if rose was not show cheap he could have put 53 inch screens in his business

MoSpur
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I've been to the one in Denver during a Monday Night football game, which the Broncos played in. It was pretty sweet.

skiernsurfer
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Strong rumor has it an ESPNZone is being built on the south side of the American Airlines Center in Dallas...

Kori Ellis
06-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I have been to the one in Vegas -- it's very cool.

Spurologist
06-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Okay somebody needs to get the powers that be who have money to get this city an ESPN Zone facility. I was in Baltimore Friday night and caught the series between the Heat and Pistons.

The place was off the chain!!!.

This would be the ultimate get together spot for sports fans.

Was there Saturday for a bit to watch some of the Mavs/Suns. Again...off the freaking chain.

This town deserves a place like this!!

Can you imagine how crazy Spurs fans would get seeing the away games there?

:tu I think I have been to that same one in Baltimore. ESPN Zones are always a great place to be at if you are a sports fan. I think some sports related tv media even hold their sports programs there like ESPN news.

samikeyp
06-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I have been to the one in NYC...that place kicked ass. We definetly could use one here.

SequSpur
06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
They should build one by the Toyota Plant. :rolleyes

ashbeeigh
06-06-2006, 06:02 PM
They should build one by the Toyota Plant. :rolleyes

My first thought was like La Cantera or something like that, but then people would bitch about everything being on the Northside. So, good choice. tu.
But I like watching the games on my butt in my pajamas.

T Park
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
If someone would go partners with me, I would build a Sports bar like that, but with double levels, NTN trivia, and trivia contests during half time of big games.

Oh, and it would be THE place to be on sundays for NFL football.

Rynospursfan
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
Champions at Rivercenter Mall (Now a Chili's)

Wow that is a bummer, I haven't been to SA since 2003. Yeah I too have been to the ESPN Zone in LV. I love that place. I always stay at NY, NY and always go to the ESPN Zone. Well except that one time when I was there durring March madness and Micosoft had rented it out for the weekend.

:pctoss

Willinsa
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I have been to the ESPN Zone in Las Vegas, Chicago, and Anaheim. Yes it is a great place to watch a game, last year after the 05 Rose Bowl watched a Cowboys game in Anaheim and it was awesome. The Las Vegas one is always happening no matter what time it is, the one in Chicago is ok. If in Chicago don't eat at the ESPN Zone eat at the pizza place next door. It has some awesome chicago style pizza.

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Okay seems like we are all in agreement. I say let's razz the mayor and get this done.

angel_luv
06-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't know about that mayor. He didn't even listen when I tried to say hello to him in the Terrace Club.

:lol

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 08:50 PM
He snubbed Angel Luv Oh that's his ass for that!!!

Snooty fans are not allowed to be mayors!!

angel_luv
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Well I do live in :oops Converse and couldn't vote for him. :lol

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
lol....consider it a blessing in disguise....lol

Brianna
06-06-2006, 10:46 PM
I say let's razz the mayor and get this done.

Why don't you just threaten to body slam his ass on a wall like you did mouse?

Melmart1
06-06-2006, 10:47 PM
The one in Baltimore Harbor is nice. Pricey, though.

kskonn
06-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I travel to New York quite a bit and stay right next to the espn zone and it is pretty nice. I usually go there by myself and sit in one of the big recliners in front of the 10 ft X 10 ft screens. having one on the river walk would do well but probably won't happen during the hardberger reign.

scott
06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
The one in Times Square was the only way I was able to watch Cowboys games while I was in grad school. The place was always packed on Sundays during NFL season though, and you'd have to show up for your (free) tickets at 9am, you could only stay for one game (early or late) and you had to have a minimum $20 bill.

nbascribe
06-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Why don't you just threaten to body slam his ass on a wall like you did mouse?
Hey Brianna why don't you go troll someplace that isn't an intelligent conversation. I'm sure Barney or Pee Wee Herman wants to go play with you.

jamezyjamez
06-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Fox Sports is a ton better - both food and tv's. ESPN Zone is Planet Hollywood except with a basketball instead of spare actors. Agree with the post about local sports bars over both.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Fox Sports doesn't have any broadcasting rights to NBA programming. Great for the othe three sports but that themed bar may not be able to show ESPN NBA basketball games due to a conflict of interest in their contractual agreements.

Brianna
06-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Brianna why don't you go troll someplace that isn't an intelligent conversation. I'm sure Barney or Pee Wee Herman wants to go play with you.

Your one to talk about intelligent conversation.

he knows I'd either body slam him into Kori's wall or something.

You will never work for any major networks as long as I have this quote to show them your true self.

GrandeDavid
06-07-2006, 07:48 AM
That would be off the hook! I'd love to see one open in San Antonio.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Here's a couple of links on the Fox Sports Grill and the ESPN Zone websites: http://www.foxsportsgrill.com/, www.espnzone.com/

Both of these projects look like they are 'company' owned deals so franchising would be out for individuals.

One good thing is that a friend of mine e-mailed me this morning saying that she had a great experience at the Zone in D.C. Who knows. Maybe somebody at Disney or Newscorp. may actually say, "let's do this in the Alamo City".

Buddy Holly
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
TPark, check your PMs.

DarrinS
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Don't get me wrong -- I love sports bars.

I'm just not too into the whole

Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe/Chilis/Benigans/AppleBees/TGI Friday's meets Dave 'N Busters
meets Atlantic City
meets Bjorn's Audio/Video

with tons of guys around named "Chip", "Chad", and "Clayton".

I'll stick to the local watering holes. :fro

StylisticS
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Cities with ESPN Zone
Anaheim(LA basically)
Atlanta
Chicago
Denver
Las Vegas
New York
Washington DC
Baltimore

If there are any cities in Texas that would have a chance to get an ESPN Zone, it's Dallas or Houston. San Antonio's lack of pro teams in other sports could be a huge factor in the city not getting one. I'm surprised that Baltimore has one considering they are so close to Washington DC and the one in DC is pretty damn good itself. I would have guessed it to be in Philadelphia. There is a rumor about one being built in Dallas in Victory Park just right by the arena. The thing that could work in San Antonio's favor I guess would be tourism. That's the only reason why Vegas has one. But I don't believe people look at SA as far as a tourism destination like they do Vegas, obviously.

I do believe San Antonio would b e great for Fox Sports Grill. Somewhere along the riverwalk of course. CanNOT be put anywhere else in the city.

kskonn
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Cities with ESPN Zone
Anaheim(LA basically)
Atlanta
Chicago
Denver
Las Vegas
New York
Washington DC
Baltimore

If there are any cities in Texas that would have a chance to get an ESPN Zone, it's Dallas or Houston. San Antonio's lack of pro teams in other sports could be a huge factor in the city not getting one. I'm surprised that Baltimore has one considering they are so close to Washington DC and the one in DC is pretty damn good itself. I would have guessed it to be in Philadelphia. There is a rumor about one being built in Dallas in Victory Park just right by the arena. The thing that could work in San Antonio's favor I guess would be tourism. That's the only reason why Vegas has one. But I don't believe people look at SA as far as a tourism destination like they do Vegas, obviously.

I do believe San Antonio would b e great for Fox Sports Grill. Somewhere along the riverwalk of course. CanNOT be put anywhere else in the city.

Yea I agree, SA has one of the largest tourists pulls in the nation, but most of the tourists are not going to spend their time in SA going to EspnZone and drinking like they do in Vegas.

StylisticS
06-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Don't get me wrong -- I love sports bars.

I'm just not too into the whole

Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe/Chilis/Benigans/AppleBees/TGI Friday's meets Dave 'N Busters
meets Atlantic City
meets Bjorn's Audio/Video

with tons of guys around named "Chip", "Chad", and "Clayton".

I'll stick to the local watering holes. :fro

lol..the thing about ESPN Zone is that it is expensive. If your Spurs was to get back to the finals and you wanted to catch the game at ESPN Zone. Get ready to spend money. They hike up the prices just for special events. 14 dollars for ONE glass of beer. :rolleyes :spin

DarrinS
06-07-2006, 03:32 PM
lol..the thing about ESPN Zone is that it is expensive. If your Spurs was to get back to the finals and you wanted to catch the game at ESPN Zone. Get ready to spend money. They hike up the prices just for special events. 14 dollars for ONE glass of beer. :rolleyes :spin

YIKES!

Like the Disneyfication of Vegas, I don't want to see too many cookie-cutter big chain restaurants/bars on the River Walk. The next thing you know, they'll be selling adertising space on the freakin walls of the Alamo. I think bars like ESPN Zone and Foxs Sports need to be located out in suburbia, in strip malls with GAP, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Borders, where they belong.

Sorry. Just the way I feel about it.

leemajors
06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
it may have changed a lot, but in NYC in 99 i was drinking $2 imperial pints of lebatts blue while watching cowboys/jets... well my focus was on boys/jets, they had every game on at the same time. it was football heaven.

StylisticS
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
I hear you on that one. That's why I love the riverwalk. It has a sense of neighborhood feeling and San Antonio's urban environment that is unique because they have LOCAL stuff to cater to the tourists and residents of San Antonio instead of getting chains that everybody sees in every city. The only reason I would say to put a Fox Sports grill or an ESPN Zone on the riverwalk is to have more energy and activity in downtown. There would be some place you would go to have fun for the residents and workers of downtown SA.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised that Baltimore has one considering they are so close to Washington DC and the one in DC is pretty damn good itself. I would have guessed it to be in Philadelphia.

Baltimore has one because it's a two sport town. I would have to guess that the possible attraction to getting either type of establishment would be how many major league (meaning NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB) sports franchises you have.

I do know this. those things aren't cheap. From what I saw in Baltimore, you are talking about initial capital of almost $60M easy to handle fixtures, bells and whistles (tvs, furniture, etc), kitchen and other stuff for the restaurant and entertainment part. the Fox Sports Grill concept may actually be cheaper because you are not having the game room involved.

All I know is that big sports cities are now havig these establishments as a part of their sports culture and my experience last Friday was worth the money I spent on drinks!! :lol

gameFACE
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=447&dateline=1148068164
Just out of curiosity - why is a Fox guy plugging an ESPN place?

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Because the Fox guy also does stuff with ESPN??? hmmm

METALMiKE
06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
If they even build an espnzone or foxsports grill in SA, they should build it in the area of the at&t Center,because the center needs SOMETHING around it like this.

(or maybe not because it might be tagged up with graffiti in a week :lmao)

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 08:00 PM
If they even build an espnzone or foxsports grill in SA, they should build it in the area of the at&t Center,because the center needs SOMETHING around it like this.

(or maybe not because it might be tagged up with graffiti in a week :lmao)

Ain't happening. If one is built here, it's going to be in a heavily consumer trafficked area like Rivercenter.

That would be SA's downfall of not getting one. There's limited areas where such a venture could thrive WITHOUT a mall or heavy retail area.

j-6
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
(It's nice that I can provide insider information here for a change...)

I do recruiting for the Fox Sports Grill in Plano. It's doing 80K a week in sales now during Finals mania in Dallas but typically does 60-65K. A typical ESPNzone does about double that second number in overall sales, including merch. In other words, an ESPNzone does about the same amount of business that the Dave and Busters off 410 does. TPTB don't think that a one team town can support another venue doing that sort of production.

Supposedly there's an ESPNzone going into the West End by the AAC in Dallas - nothing is signed yet, but they wanted to be open before the NHL All Star game next year at the AAC. That's probabaly not going to happen in that time frame, but I think it'll be operational before the '07-'08 NFL season.

Unfortunately for my Alamo City brethren, you'll have to wait until Dallas' version is profitable and one in Houston is open as far as ESPNzone goes - at a minimum. But Fox Sports Grill is looking into the SA Northwoods area (and the Woodlands north of Houston) after the Charlotte store is open. Those are very close to the same concept, but with a lot better menu and lower prices. They also don't need a ton of square footage like an ESPNzone does.

Hope this helps a bit.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 08:38 PM
(It's nice that I can provide insider information here for a change...)

I do recruiting for the Fox Sports Grill in Plano. It's doing 80K a week in sales now during Finals mania in Dallas but typically does 60-65K. A typical ESPNzone does about double that second number in overall sales, including merch. In other words, an ESPNzone does about the same amount of business that the Dave and Busters off 410 does. TPTB don't think that a one team town can support another venue doing that sort of production.

Supposedly there's an ESPNzone going into the West End by the AAC in Dallas - nothing is signed yet, but they wanted to be open before the NHL All Star game next year at the AAC. That's probabaly not going to happen in that time frame, but I think it'll be operational before the '07-'08 NFL season.

Unfortunately for my Alamo City brethren, you'll have to wait until Dallas' version is profitable and one in Houston is open as far as ESPNzone goes - at a minimum. But Fox Sports Grill is looking into the SA Northwoods area (and the Woodlands north of Houston) after the Charlotte store is open. Those are very close to the same concept, but with a lot better menu and lower prices. They also don't need a ton of square footage like an ESPNzone does.

Hope this helps a bit.

Now that works. I've heard something about FSG coming to Northwoods but figured that because of it being so far away from downtown, that it might now work.

The one in Houston on Westheimer is always busy. Maybe you'd know more than anyone if retail traffic would be the key focal point in either concept being profitable.

Spurologist
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
I got my man Pete Holt on speed dial. A ESPN Zone in SA is in the works. The time that will happen........ eehhhhhh ............ it's confidential.

METALMiKE
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Ain't happening. If one is built here, it's going to be in a heavily consumer trafficked area like Rivercenter.

That would be SA's downfall of not getting one. There's limited areas where such a venture could thrive WITHOUT a mall or heavy retail area.

I just wish there was more around that area to do
:depressed ,I was thinking maybe that could spark growth in that area.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I just wish there was more around that area to do
:depressed ,I was thinking maybe that could spark growth in that area.

Has always been light industrial mixed in with socio-economic models that never spurned the growth you are talking about.

Blame Howard Peak for screwing up the plan of putting the arena across from the ITC on Durango.

As a matter of fact, you can pretty much blame poor urban planning for it not being at the Lone Star Quarry; a perfect place that would have given the Northeast side a serious economic boost and the ability to build retail properties similar to what the Quarry is on Basse.

Oh well.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
But Fox Sports Grill is looking into the SA Northwoods area (and the Woodlands north of Houston) after the Charlotte store is open. Those are very close to the same concept, but with a lot better menu and lower prices. They also don't need a ton of square footage like an ESPNzone does.

Hope this helps a bit.

That's cool to know. Thanks J-6.

T Park
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
I once again reiterate that my sports bar would be a combo of ESPN Zone in Disney World, Hooligans, and the food of a comboof places.

StylisticS
06-07-2006, 09:54 PM
(Supposedly there's an ESPNzone going into the West End by the AAC in Dallas - nothing is signed yet, but they wanted to be open before the NHL All Star game next year at the AAC. That's probabaly not going to happen in that time frame, but I think it'll be operational before the '07-'08 NFL season.

Are you talking about House of Blues? Because that's what they are building in the West End right now that is suppose to open by that time. If not, that's great for the West End. They need that kickstart in that area.

StylisticS
06-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Baltimore has one because it's a two sport town. I would have to guess that the possible attraction to getting either type of establishment would be how many major league (meaning NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB) sports franchises you have.

yeah. But it's still surprising to me that they would get one before Philadelphia considering the Philadelphia area is much larger than Baltimore and they have more teams that are all basically in the same general area. There's already one in DC which is about a skip and a hop away from Baltimore.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I once again reiterate that my sports bar would be a combo of ESPN Zone in Disney World, Hooligans, and the food of a comboof places.

We would been in on your idea, but we've researched and it takes such a huge amount of capital to start up, it's crazy. One local sports bar (not even that big) here in town went out of business and we looked into perhaps leasing the building to start a new one. It was 750K to buy the building or 8K a month to lease. That's too steep for me.

If (eventually) we ever start something it would be on a much smaller scale.

nbascribe
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
We would been in on your idea, but we've researched and it takes such a huge amount of capital to start up, it's crazy. One local sports bar (not even that big) here in town went out of business and we looked into perhaps leasing the building to start a new one. It was 750K to buy the building or 8K a month to lease. That's too steep for me.

Kori know that one all to well. The restaurant my dad and i are doing is around that price tag of $750k and it's just a standard fare with a building we already own.

Sports bars in this town are hard to really keep in business unless it's on a unique platform. A good example is Champs Americana. It's not a sports bar by design or concept; just a place that happens to put sports on huge as tvs.

Buddy Holly
06-07-2006, 11:38 PM

Your saying if they put it along Bandera Rd. north of 410 there wouldn't be enough traffic volume? :lol

Hell, they're proposing an elevated roadway all the way from 410 to 1604 on Bandera because of the horrible traffic.

I don't get what you mean?

A FSG or ESPNZone needs a heavily traffic'd (Both foot and car) area in order to survive.

A mall or a strip center.

Buddy Holly
06-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Which sports bar was that?

You don't actually have to pay for it forth right.

You simply get capital investments and loans.

You get the right partners and you might have to in two dollars. lol

Buddy Holly
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
A great place for a big sports bar would be The Rim.

Not only will there be a Bass Pro Shop there will be a 13 story hotel/condo.

Plus you have the La Cantera Resort across 10. Not to mention The Shops and Regal Hills as neighbors.

Plus, Turnberry (developer for Regal Hills) is going to build a couple of highrise condos next to Regal Hills.

That's a lot of potential customers.

If not The Rim, why not Legacy, which is being built at 1604 and 281.

That will have a mix of retail, office, hotel and housing.

It will be very urban in design and a great place for a large sports bar.

Buddy Holly
06-07-2006, 11:47 PM
FYI, here's Legacy:

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06192/legacy.jpg

nbascribe
06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
A great place for a big sports bar would be The Rim.

Not only will there be a Bass Pro Shop there will be a 13 story hotel/condo.

Plus you have the La Cantera Resort across 10. Not to mention The Shops and Regal Hills as neighbors.

Plus, Turnberry (developer for Regal Hills) is going to build a couple of highrise condos next to Regal Hills.

That's a lot of potential customers.

If not The Rim, why not Legacy, which is being built at 1604 and 281.

That will have a mix of retail, office, hotel and housing.

It will be very urban in design and a great place for a large sports bar.

Buddy and what major hotels are in the area that you are proposing? What other attractions are there in the Legacy or the Rim area that will be available AFTER a Spurs game or a college bowl game/BIG 12 championship?

the reason why the locations wherer other FSG or Espn Zone projects are located where they are is their proximity to something that has the traffic not only from regulars or people just passing by but because after a game or even during one, those who don't have tickets can go in and watch.

A good sports bar in a sports city usually is situated somewhere in proximity of the ball park. It's the old real estate model...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. In this case, the location is based upon an existing venue that is somewhat business related to the bar.

Oh and for the record, very few banks will BANKROLL restaurants unless the project is very sound. That's why it's very hard for ordinary people to just start one up from scratch.

leemajors
06-08-2006, 02:39 PM
the quarry is an incredible golf course. off topic, but i really enjoyed playing there.

Buddy Holly
06-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Buddy and what major hotels are in the area that you are proposing?

At The Rim this is the 13 story hotel/condo mix use that's going up.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5315/rimhotel7df.png

And across 10 from The Rim, there is the Westin La Cantera hotel.

http://www.sahelicopter.com/images/04_14.jpg

Not to mention Turnberry's residential high rise community being built next to Regal Hills. Regal Hills being built across 1604 from The Rim.

And these hotel at Legacy will be a Marriott.

What other attractions are there in the Legacy or the Rim area that will be available AFTER a Spurs game or a college bowl game/BIG 12 championship?

Movie theaters, restaurants, etc.

skiernsurfer
06-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Take a look at what is being built around the American Airlines Center in Dallas, the ESPN Zone in rumored to be going in the building on the left in this picture which shows the area just to the south of the AAC where the fountains are for those who have been there. The building on the right will house a studio for WFAA-Channel 8(ABC), and will have a outdoor video wall.
You can read and see the entire map and development plans at
www.victorypark.com

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/5198/0721studio2ni.jpg

nbascribe
06-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Buddy:

And where is the arena or football stadium.

Look at what Skiernsurfer shows. That's the concept and that's why it won't work out at the Rim.

Even in Baltimore, the ESPN Zone is near the ballpark/football stadium. Not to mention it's within walking distance from the Harbor and their downtown shopping district (two blocks).

T-Pain
06-09-2006, 02:42 AM
the espn zones in new york and chicago are a blast. i don't think one major sports team justifies putting one in SA. maybe dallas or houston.
I agree. I dont think ESPN would want to stick a ESPN Zone in SA with one major sports team. Thats like putting one in Sacramento.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2006, 03:39 AM
Buddy:

And where is the arena or football stadium.

Look at what Skiernsurfer shows. That's the concept and that's why it won't work out at the Rim.

Even in Baltimore, the ESPN Zone is near the ballpark/football stadium. Not to mention it's within walking distance from the Harbor and their downtown shopping district (two blocks).

All an ESPN or FSG needs is foot traffic, which is why they're put where they are.

Whether that foot traffic is because of a sports arena[s] or a very busy shopping area, it doesn't matter.

That's like saying a Hard Rock Cafe needs to be put in a city that has a lot of local bands that are big and popular in mainstream or it has to be next to a concert venue.

Las Vegas has one and it has ZERO professional teams. What it does have is a lot of foot traffic.

Atlanta's ESPNZone is located 7 miles north of their downtown in the area of Buckhead. A very heavily trafficked area. It would be like putting a ESPNZone at or near North Star Mall.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2006, 03:55 AM
In 2 years, there will be 4.5 million sq. ft. of retail at the corner of 1604 and 10. That's more than San Pedro and 410 right now and even when they finish Park North Plaza at the site of the old Central Park Mall.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Which sports bar was that?

You don't actually have to pay for it forth right.

You simply get capital investments and loans.

You get the right partners and you might have to in two dollars. lol

The one around Wurzbach and 10 - almost across the street from Golden Wok.

I know that I wouldn't have to pay 750K upfront. But even the lease situation of 7-8K a month is too much when your business likely won't even be profiting within it's first six months to a year. It's a risky venture. And since, I wouldn't want partners, we would start on a smaller scale than 7-8K just to lease a building. There's so many costs in running a bar/restaurant, I'd want much lower overhead on renting a space.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Investing in a restaurant is by far one of the worst investments I can think of. THeres a reason that chain stores are dominating now and it is mainly because of the requirements of starting up a business and keeping it from going under while running in the red for such a long time.

I know its the last place I'd try and put my money.

nbascribe
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
All an ESPN or FSG needs is foot traffic, which is why they're put where they are.

Whether that foot traffic is because of a sports arena[s] or a very busy shopping area, it doesn't matter.

That's like saying a Hard Rock Cafe needs to be put in a city that has a lot of local bands that are big and popular in mainstream or it has to be next to a concert venue.

Las Vegas has one and it has ZERO professional teams. What it does have is a lot of foot traffic.

Atlanta's ESPNZone is located 7 miles north of their downtown in the area of Buckhead. A very heavily trafficked area. It would be like putting a ESPNZone at or near North Star Mall.

Buddy you trying to make an orangapple with that Northwest cooridor idea. Atlanta's situation is prime for restaurants because of the city's entertainment models that are in place and the fact that many of the areas off of buckhead and peachtree cooridors are well developed. the Rim is not fully developed in comparison.

The one thing you are right on is the foot traffic. but again you are trying to compare San Antonio, which is still very much considered a small town environment, to cities of entertainment like Vegas. The Zone there is next to a hotel, New York, New York and they make no mistake in promoting it as part of their hotel.

And if you're talking about Hard Rock, there's a reason why that restaurant is not doing as well as it used to. Take it off the River Walk locale and it's shut down. Remember Planet Hollywood?

The reason why I'm even bringing this up is because I've already had some discussions about one with other friends and I've talked to the old man about it. His expertise is restaurants and their location and viability. There are things that he's told about on a deal for a Zone that I had never even thought of when it comes trying to look at a restaurant.

nbascribe
06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Investing in a restaurant is by far one of the worst investments I can think of. THeres a reason that chain stores are dominating now and it is mainly because of the requirements of starting up a business and keeping it from going under while running in the red for such a long time.

I know its the last place I'd try and put my money.

it's not the worst investment to do. What you have to do is have a concept that is rock solid and a track record of having success running one. I've got a friend of mine that has the franchise rights to two Buffalo Wow locations. It's just that people who don't have large sums of capital or liquid assets think they can start up a restaurant on hard work and sweat. That worked in the 60s but this is 2006; things have changed.