PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives Forced Me To Have An Abortion

Nbadan
06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
What Happens When There Is No Plan B?
By Dana L.
Sunday, June 4, 2006; B01

The conservative politics of the Bush administration forced me to have an abortion I didn't want. Well, not literally, but let me explain.

I am a 42-year-old happily married mother of two elementary-schoolers. My husband and I both work, and like many couples, we're starved for time together. One Thursday evening this past March, we managed to snag some rare couple time and, in a sudden rush of passion, I failed to insert my diaphragm.

The next morning, after getting my kids off to school, I called my ob/gyn to get a prescription for Plan B, the emergency contraceptive pill that can prevent a pregnancy -- but only if taken within 72 hours of intercourse. As we're both in our forties, my husband and I had considered our family complete, and we weren't planning to have another child, which is why, as a rule, we use contraception. I wanted to make sure that our momentary lapse didn't result in a pregnancy.

The receptionist, however, informed me that my doctor did not prescribe Plan B. No reason given. Neither did my internist. The midwifery practice I had used could prescribe it, but not over the phone, and there were no more open appointments for the day. The weekend -- and the end of the 72-hour window -- was approaching.

But I needed to meet my kids' school bus and, as I was pretty much out of options -- short of soliciting random Virginia doctors out of the phone book -- I figured I'd take my chances and hope for the best. After all, I'm 42. Isn't it likely my eggs are overripe, anyway? I thought so, especially since my best friend from college has been experiencing agonizing infertility problems at this age.

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/02/AR2006060201405_pf.html)

Rodeodance made it clear she uses a diaphragm not birth control pills. Since they can only be acquired by prescription, it is highly unlikely that she had any spare pills lying around. Perhaps she is too smart to be willing to play russian-roulette with her biochemistry via hormones. Most doctors will not prescribe birth control pills (or patches) over the phone, which leaves her in exactly the same position she was in via the Plan B issue.

DFW Spurs
06-06-2006, 01:51 PM
WTF, no one told her to bone her husband without taking precautions. I'm 29, married, and still use a condom during sex because I'm not ready to be a father. It's very convenient to push the blame on someone else for her screw up. Everyone wants the easy way out of their responsibilities to make their live easy. Get a grip man...

xrayzebra
06-06-2006, 02:06 PM
And she also said in her blog that she, in her panic, forgot about planned parenthood
where she would have been given the pills. Once again, get all the facts straight.
Bush didn't screw her or no conservative screwed her. Her husband did. Both of
them are evidently stupid and don't know about taking precautions.

DFW Spurs
06-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh by its not the fat peoples fault their over weight. Its Mc's or B King’s fault their plump. Whatever.

xrayzebra
06-06-2006, 02:17 PM
It's Bush's fault that they are fat, cause he tells them to supersize. But no worry
it is already on regressive (I mean progressive) agenda, right up there with SUV's,
conserving water and saving mankind from itself, by stopping global warming.
And turn that damn air conditioner off, you are ruining the ozone layer.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Both of you may be right, but that still doesn't make the fact Plan B should be more available considering the consequences.

DarkReign
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
WTF, no one told her to bone her husband without taking precautions. I'm 29, married, and still use a condom during sex because I'm not ready to be a father. It's very convenient to push the blame on someone else for her screw up. Everyone wants the easy way out of their responsibilities to make their live easy. Get a grip man...

Why not use birthcontrol? Condoms suck!

Jekka
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Why not use birthcontrol? Condoms suck!

Do you mean pills? Because not every woman can take hormones, for many reasons. A friend of mine almost died from blood clots in her lungs because she had an undiagnosed blood disorder that the hormones aggravated - it's genetic, which meant that her sister also could not take them. If a woman cannot handle hormone pills, that also rules out IUDs, Depo Provera, the ring, and the patch. Many women are also allergic to spermicide, which means that they have to use condoms without the spermicide which would give them secondary protection. If a woman is prone to chronic yeast infections - be it via UTIs, sensitive skin, or a digestive tract issue (and many more women have chronic yeast infections than you probably think) - then she cannot use copper IUDs, diaphragms, or cervical caps. This leaves women who do not want to mess with their hormones for fear of health problems with one option - condoms. And condoms can break. There needs to be a more immediately available option for women who do not live close to a Planned Parenthood or willing doctors/pharmacists.

exstatic
06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Sounds like she needs a new doctor. Of course, if the doctor weren't such a prick, the pharmacist probably would be.

gtownspur
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Sounds like she needs a new doctor. Of course, if the doctor weren't such a prick, the pharmacist probably would be.

I guess having religous beliefs makes one a prick.

And you wonder why your type of politics is struggling in this country.

gtownspur
06-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Do you mean pills? Because not every woman can take hormones, for many reasons. A friend of mine almost died from blood clots in her lungs because she had an undiagnosed blood disorder that the hormones aggravated - it's genetic, which meant that her sister also could not take them. If a woman cannot handle hormone pills, that also rules out IUDs, Depo Provera, the ring, and the patch. Many women are also allergic to spermicide, which means that they have to use condoms without the spermicide which would give them secondary protection. If a woman is prone to chronic yeast infections - be it via UTIs, sensitive skin, or a digestive tract issue (and many more women have chronic yeast infections than you probably think) - then she cannot use copper IUDs, diaphragms, or cervical caps. This leaves women who do not want to mess with their hormones for fear of health problems with one option - condoms. And condoms can break. There needs to be a more immediately available option for women who do not live close to a Planned Parenthood or willing doctors/pharmacists.

bc for men....

solved.

next.

Jekka
06-06-2006, 10:34 PM
bc for men....

solved.

next.

I think birth control for men is a great idea - they are testing different types of it now - but I don't see a whole lot of men embracing it by any means, it's a threat to masculine virility. I know there are a lot of men that would be willing to try it, but I see a whole lot more than don't want any kind of outside influence on their "manhood". As much as this society worships the penis, I can't see too many men taking birth control. Maybe I'm wrong - which would be wonderful - but there is still a culture of male dominance out there that would likely inhibit male BC. </gloria steinem rant>

Vashner
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
lol

Vashner
06-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Back in the old China dynasty days the emperor would have male servents sit in a wooden chair with a hole in the middle and WHACK... off it went.

So that none of them could compete with him and his cadre of concubines.

Trainwreck2100
06-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Back in the old China dynasty days the emperor would have male servents sit in a wooden chair with a hole in the middle and WHACK... off it went.

So that none of them could compete with him and his cadre of concubines.

I'm pretty sure that was India

Vashner
06-07-2006, 12:02 AM

Want to reconsider that?

I never said it was NOT other places.. I just said China dynasty era.

In ancient China castration was both a traditional punishment (until the Sui Dynasty) and a means of gaining employment in the Imperial service. At the end of the Ming Dynasty there were 70,000 eunuchs (»Â¹Ù hu¨¤n'gu¨¡n, or Ì«±O t¨¤iji¨¡n) in the Imperial palace. The value of such employment¡ªcertain eunuchs gained immense power that may have superseded that of the prime ministers¡ªwas such that self-castration had to be made illegal. The number of eunuchs in Imperial employ had fallen to 470 in 1912, when their employment ceased. The justification of the employment of eunuchs as high-ranking civil servants was that, since they were incapable of having children, they would not be tempted to seize power and start a dynasty. Concurrently, a similar system existed in Vietnam.

The tension between depraved eunuchs in the service of the emperor and virtuous Confucian officials resisting their tyranny is a familiar theme in Chinese history. In his History of Government, Samuel Finer points out that reality was not always that clear-cut. There were instances of very capable eunuchs, who were valuable advisors to their emperor, and the resistance of the "virtuous" officials often was procrastination on the part of a privileged class which blindly resisted any change, whether it be for the good or the bad of the empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuch

xrayzebra
06-07-2006, 09:35 AM

I pretty sure it smarted. And made you want to say: "ouch". And maybe
even: "bet you cant do that again". :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I pretty sure it smarted. And made you want to say: "ouch". And maybe
even: "bet you cant do that again". :lol
do we have another ducks on our hands? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

xrayzebra
06-07-2006, 09:44 AM
do we have another ducks on our hands? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Oh, one thing I forgot. In the military, many years ago, they had what they
called "small arms inspections". Now those guys could really fill the
bill on that one. Wonder if they still have those?
:rolleyes

j-6
06-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Don't you mean a "shortarm" inspection, xray?

DarkReign
06-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Holy shit. Awesome explanation.

Condoms it is.