PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants In San Antonio that you miss

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I saw a thread about po folks and wanted to start this one, here are some of mine.

Ninfa's- On Nakoma, great salsas.
Fargo's Pizza- Good Pizza- various locations.
Bonanza- I loved that place.
Maverick Cafe- Good food

Just wondering if anyone has any others to add.

davi78239
06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey, there's a Maverick cafe of I-37 in the country not too outside of SA. Could this be the same one but just moved out there? If so, they got some pretty good food. As for me, I miss Fazolis for the fast food italian (most will probably disagree) and Boston Meat Market(had several of those around town about a good 10 years ago or so). Hey, what about Wyatt's cafeteria? Damn, we'd always eat up at the one in Windsor Park Mall.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Godfathers pizza

davi78239
06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Godfathers pizza

Hey, Godfather's is still here where I work, but it's on Lackland AFB. That pizza is the shit!!! I wish we had these all around town.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
LiL hips'

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey, Godfather's is still here where I work, but it's on Lackland AFB. That pizza is the shit!!! I wish we had these all around town.Really, well I dont go on Lackland so I thought they were all gone. They use to be the shit back in the day.

Old School Chic
06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
KP's the one that was located on SW Military Drive

dougp
06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Fratelli's, off of I-10 ... best Italian food ever.

RealEstateDude
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Shanghai Cafe (Changed to Haishang Cafe because of competitor with same name in UC) off NW Military. They had the best chinese food in town, especially the Sesame Shrimp...

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Bonanza
Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company (that was the best steak in the best atmosphere I've ever eaten, bar none)
Little Hips (we used to go there for 2-hr lunches when I worked downtown...then we'd have to stay late to make up the time :lol Shy-Poke Eggs rocked)
Wyatt's Cafeteria (Windsor location...you know, I haven't been in Windsor Park Mall in...probably 5 years! is anything still there?)
Pizza Inn
Bambino Huey's
Luby's (I mean the old Luby's, the way it used to be...I used to eat there at least once a week, but when I went in and got a LuAnn platter, tea, and dessert and it came to over $10, I quit going...I can go to Golden Corral and get all of any of that I want plus bread and salad, too, and it's not even $9! As far as I'm concerned, Luby's priced themselves right out the market...which is why most are closed up and so few are left.)
Crystal Baking Company (where Ocean Star is now)
Hardee's

Vashner
06-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Shy Poke eggs lol.. OMFG Cholesterol attack at that place...

Old School Chic
06-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Bonanza had the best salad bar ever...

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Shy Poke eggs lol.. OMFG Cholesterol attack at that place...

Yes, but it was soooo good. Where did they get those dill pickles? I have never tasted any anywhere else that were that good.

katyon6th
06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Hey, there's a Maverick cafe of I-37 in the country not too outside of SA. Could this be the same one but just moved out there? If so, they got some pretty good food. As for me, I miss Fazolis for the fast food italian (most will probably disagree) and Boston Meat Market(had several of those around town about a good 10 years ago or so). Hey, what about Wyatt's cafeteria? Damn, we'd always eat up at the one in Windsor Park Mall.

The Mavericks you're talking about is on HWY 181 in Floresville, it's not the same Mavericks the original poster is talking about. Either way, the Mavericks in Floresville is okay, the Mavericks in San Antonio was okay too.

I can't really think of any restaurants I really enjoyed that are no longer here. The only one that comes to mind is Old Country Buffet which is now known as Hometown Buffet. I only remember this because my grandparents lived across from it off 410 & Evers and it was their hangout.

Solid D
Remember the Bean Pot?

Vashner

MSG in the powdered Ranch.. but I do rember them keeping clean salad bar and good lettuce. I liked Bonanza was not bad on the cheap.

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
The only one that comes to mind is Old Country Buffet which is now known as Hometown Buffet. I only remember this because my grandparents lived across from it off 410 & Evers and it was their hangout.

We used to go to the Hometown Buffet on Austin Highway, that was one of my Dad's favorite places. It's not there any more. - :depressed

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Remember the Bean Pot?

Was that a chain? There used to be one at the Canyon Lake exit on IH-35. I always wanted to eat there because it always smelled so good when we'd stop for gas at that convenience store. Never did, though, was always in too much of hurry to get to the lake. It's closed up now.

katyon6th
06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Oh, what about Shoney's? The only one I know of in town is off 35 & Walzem, or something.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
KP's the one that was located on SW Military Drive

Was that a diner? It was a small place right?

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh, what about Shoney's? The only one I know of in town is off 35 & Walzem, or something.

Yeah, there's still one there. I never go there, but we eat at the Red Lobster next door a couple of times a month on the weekends. I used to LOVE that Shoney's breakfast buffet. I haven't been in years...last time I did that was in St. Louis about 5-6 years ago. In San Antonio, I always went to the one at Jones-Maltsberger and 410. We used to have a lot of office meetings and training classes that we held at the Drury Inn across the street.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Carl Jr.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 02:32 PM
:tu

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Ferdys. Way out 281 on the hilltop...I think it's a Caseys now...We used to skip out at lunch in high school and go there...Frosty ice cold pitchers of Lone Star and frosted mugs...ahhhhh

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Carl Jr.

Never got into that one, but GW Jr's.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Shanghai Cafe (Changed to Haishang Cafe because of competitor with same name in UC) off NW Military. They had the best chinese food in town, especially the Sesame Shrimp...Actually the Shanghai in UC is pretty good I use to go there for lunch sometimes with my mom.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Bonanza
Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company (that was the best steak in the best atmosphere I've ever eaten, bar none)-
Little Hips (we used to go there for 2-hr lunches when I worked downtown...then we'd have to stay late to make up the time :lol Shy-Poke Eggs rocked)
Wyatt's Cafeteria (Windsor location...you know, I haven't been in Windsor Park Mall in...probably 5 years! is anything still there?)
Pizza Inn
Bambino Huey's
Luby's (I mean the old Luby's, the way it used to be...I used to eat there at least once a week, but when I went in and got a LuAnn platter, tea, and dessert and it came to over $10, I quit going...I can go to Golden Corral and get all of any of that I want plus bread and salad, too, and it's not even $9! As far as I'm concerned, Luby's priced themselves right out the market...which is why most are closed up and so few are left.)
Crystal Baking Company (where Ocean Star is now)
Hardee's

Where was Stuart Andersons at? Just wondering.

I thought Wyatt's at Windsor was better than Luby's, you remember the El Chico's at Windsor that was right across from Wyatt's? I think Windsor was closed awhile back.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM

Barf out...
:vomit:

They got sued over bad food a couple times...

Old School Chic
Was that a diner? It was a small place right?

It was a small little Cafe back in the 80's. It then got remodeled and became Neptune's Seafood.

Willinsa
Never got into that one, but GW Jr's.

GW's was awesome, can not beat the frankfooter.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
We used to go to the Hometown Buffet on Austin Highway, that was one of my Dad's favorite places. It's not there any more. - :depressed

It's not? I live right by there and could have sworn it was still there the last time I drove by...my kids love that place. :wtf

SpursWoman

Guacamole burgers! :depressed

Willinsa
It was a small little Cafe back in the 80's. It then got remodeled and became Neptune's Seafood.

Ok I think I know where that is, you remember the Fargo's Pizza across from South Park mall?

MoSpur
There is a Carl Jr off of I-35 South towards Laredo exit off of Fischer Rd. Its connected to the Love's truck stop.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
It's not? I live right by there and could have sworn it was still there... :wtf

That's where Earl Abel's is moving too.

MoSpur
06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
What about Jailhouse?

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Where was Stuart Andersons at? Just wondering.

It was on NW 410 somewhere...past Military...Cherry Ridge or somewhere over there close to that Target store. The building stood there for years after the restaurant closed. That was SUCH a cool place. Dance floor and sometimes live music. Tons of atmosphere...each table was a private dining area. Great date place. Wonderful food.

I thought Wyatt's at Windsor was better than Luby's, you remember the El Chico's at Windsor that was right across from Wyatt's? I think Windsor was closed awhile back.

I liked that Wyatt's better than Luby's, too. I just always went to the Luby's at Rolling Oaks after they bought out Wyatt's because it was more convenient, and it was one of the better Luby's, besides my favorite one in New Braunfels. I'm sorry to hear that El Chico's closed. That was a good place. Remember Chelsea Street Pub? That was a cool place to go for a drink, too.

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:41 PM
That's where Earl Abel's is moving too.

Yes. Neither will ever be the same.

(Incidentally, *I* remember when that was a Waitz Model Market grocery store, :lol . Dang, I'm old!)

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:42 PM
It was on NW 410 somewhere...past Military...Cherry Ridge or somewhere over there close to that Target store. The building stood there for years after the restaurant closed. That was SUCH a cool place. Dance floor and sometimes live music. Tons of atmosphere...each table was a private dining area. Great date place. Wonderful food.

I liked that Wyatt's better than Luby's, too. I just always went to the Luby's at Rolling Oaks after they bought out Wyatt's because it was more convenient, and it was one of the better Luby's, besides my favorite one in New Braunfels. I'm sorry to hear that El Chico's closed. That was a good place. Remember Chelsea Street Pub? That was a cool place to go for a drink, too.

Chelsa's had the piled up nachos and great drinks, but yeah the mall is closed. I remember before the crime got bad there it was a cool mall to go too.

Old School Chic
06-07-2006, 02:42 PM

Just yesterday my brother and I were talking about how we used to go to GW's for their delicious burgers & frankfooters. Yummy!

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
(Incidentally, *I* remember when that was a Waitz Model Market grocery store, :lol . Dang, I'm old!)

There was one on N. New Braunfels... it turned into a Bookstop ... now it's some art place. I used to go their all of the time with my mom.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Just yesterday my brother and I were talking about how we used to go to GW's for their delicious burgers & frankfooters. Yummy!

They also had that piggy boat, i think it was little franks with fries. Great stuff, don't know why the church's people did not keep them open.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 02:44 PM

The buildings still there...It's a strip club now...(Sugars)

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
The buildings still there...It's a strip club now...(Sugars)

Yup I remember that.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
I asked someone here at work about this thread and they mentioned a fast food place called Alfonso's, it was a competitor to TC's.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I asked someone here at work about this thread and they mentioned a fast food place called Alfonso's, it was a competitor to TC's.

They had the best strawberry margaritas. That was our favorite late-night place to go in college. :drunk

Old School Chic
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM

Remember when Taco Cabana's used to be Tacasita's

I'm getting old :lol

CosmicCowboy
What about Jailhouse?

They got a divorce...he got the original location (expanded and went broke) and Lulu opened a new one...it's on Main at 35 downtown (across from Lubys) It's called Lulu's jailhouse cafe...same menu...

pache100
There was one on N. New Braunfels... it turned into a Bookstop ... now it's some art place. I used to go their all of the time with my mom.

That's the only Waitz' I ever actually went into, too. A friend of my Mom's used to work there, for years and years. Anytime we were in the area, we used to go in there. We used to make special trips down there to that strip mall to Jam and Jelly General Store from time to time. They had the best leather and beads selection (for hippie jewelry http://i5.tinypic.com/1217w2f.gif ), incense and stuff for candle-making...all kinds of cool stuff. That's another place I miss. We'd go there all the time at lunch and after work when I worked at Ft. Sam.

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
They had the best strawberry margaritas. That was our favorite late-night place to go in college. :drunk

Yes, they did. I LOVED Alfonso's. The only place in town that could beat their margaritas was Karam's Kantina downtown in El Mercado. Damn, those things were good, and so were their daiquiris.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 02:49 PM

ahhh...Alfonso's 99 cent frozen margarita's with everclear...in a frozen beer mug...the food sucked but it was a great cheap buzz...:lol

It's a Sonic now... :depressed

for bonus points name the restaurant that alfonso's replaced...*hint* seafood

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Remember when Taco Cabana's used to be Tacasita's

I'm getting old :lol

Actually they were 2 seperate places, a friend worked for TC back then and said that Ta casita was actually owned by an old TC executive who was trying to run TC out of business.

davi78239
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
There's still a Carl's Jr. at a truck stop off I-35 south outside of SA(think it's in Von Army if still there). What about Luther's BBQ, which then became The Sizzler off Walzem?(Now Marie Calendars)What about DW Jr's on Walzem? As for the high end, I'm gonna add DoBrazilla off 281 and bitters for there all you can eat different kinds of meats and salad bar. That place was pricey, but worth what you paid.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Actually they were 2 seperate places, a friend worked for TC back then and said that Ta casita was actually owned by an old TC executive who was trying to run TC out of business.

As far as I know the original location was always Taco Cabana...(at the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand)

pache100
06-07-2006, 02:55 PM
There's still a Carl's Jr. at a truck stop off I-35 south outside of SA(think it's in Von Army if still there). What about Luther's BBQ, which then became The Sizzler off Walzem?(Now Marie Calendars)What about DW Jr's on Walzem? As for the high end, I'm gonna add DoBrazilla off 281 and bitters for there all you can eat different kinds of meats and salad bar. That place was pricey, but worth what you paid.

OMG, yes! Luther's BBQ was great. They still have them in other parts of the country and I try to eat there whenever I see one. That Sizzler was excellent, too, you could not beat their salads and that cheese toast they served. I miss that place. I don't like Marie Calendar's. Everything there is so heavy and casserole-ish...I will, though, eat their pie if my arm is twisted tight enough. :angel

davi78239
06-07-2006, 02:59 PM
And how can we forget Sombrero Rosa off Walzem and in other locations? That was some pretty damn good mexican fast food.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM
And how can we forget Sombrero Rosa off Walzem and in other locations? That was some pretty damn good mexican fast food.

That was some former Luby's guys...they sold out to Taco Cabana...

jcrod
06-07-2006, 03:01 PM

:lol Damn you beat me by 2 minutes.

MadDog73
06-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Fajita Junction anyone? I think they put crack in the seasoning, that place was so addictive.

It was just a little shack you drove up to and got your crack Fajitas to go!

SpursWoman

That place was brand new when I went to Roosevelt ... it was the place to *be* (:rolleyes) . They were good, though.

CosmicCowboy
hmmm...I remember when La Fogata was a Dairy Cream ( a DQ knockoff)

jcrod
As far as I know the original location was always Taco Cabana...(at the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand)

Yep, I grew up in that area, use to always be packed.

davi78239
06-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Fajita Junction anyone? I think they put crack in the seasoning, that place was so addictive.

It was just a little shack you drove up to and got your crack Fajitas to go!

I remember that one too. Hey, remember when Taco Palenque tried a restaurant here in SA? This is a Laredo franchise and does real well over there. That's like their Taco Cabana to them.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 03:11 PM
I really liked the snack bar at the San Pedro drive in. The food sucked but it was a great place to pick up loose women...:lol

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 03:12 PM
That place was brand new when I went to Roosevelt ... it was the place to *be* (:rolleyes) . They were good, though.

I used to hang out at the one at west ave and blanco, and the one on wurzbach. It was a cool place to hang out.

davi78239
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Oh yea, what about Christie's Seafood on Broadway?

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Coney Island on Broadway.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 03:20 PM

All you can eat fish at Christie's on Fridays! :)

That sounds really, really wrong. :angel :lol

pache100
06-07-2006, 03:21 PM

Damn, I miss that place. It was another of my Dad's favorites, and we used to go there often when I first moved here (1974).

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh yea, what about Christie's Seafood on Broadway?That place was pretty damn good.

Dumbass
Here's one to ruin your supper:

Red Line Burgers

Willinsa
Don't know if anyone will remember there was a place called People's at the corner of 410-Blanco it was a family restaurant.

Also remember the Jimenez's restaurant also on Blanco-410, the 1st time my parents took me there was an hour wait. I was about 10 years old they made us wait at the bar and sitting there having a few cold ones were Coby Dietrick and Mark Olberding. I thought that was awesome.

pache100
06-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Don't know if anyone will remember there was a place called People's at the corner of 410-Blanco it was a family restaurant.

Also remember the Jimenez's restaurant also on Blanco-410, the 1st time my parents took me there was an hour wait. I was about 10 years old they made us wait at the bar and sitting there having a few cold ones were Coby Dietrick and Mark Olberding. I thought that was awesome.

Don't remember People's. But, I ate at that Jimenez' a couple of times. The food was great and very cheap if I remember. Didn't see anyone famous, though. :rolleyes

Remember Mario's downtown? Is it still there? I don't think so.

Anyway, I remember going there with my then boss. Going anywhere to eat with that man was a production. They met him at the door with two margaritas on the rocks and seated him in the best seat in the house; he'd have about 3-4 more margaritas while we were there, and you'd never know he had a drop...needless to say, I was driving. There were people fawning all over us the whole time we were there. He always tipped about $30-$50 for lunch, no matter how many of us there were or what (how little or how much) we ate. It was marvelous. They also treated him like that at LaFonda on N Main. Those people LOVED that man.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Also remember the Jimenez's restaurant also on Blanco-410, the 1st time my parents took me there was an hour wait. I was about 10 years old they made us wait at the bar and sitting there having a few cold ones were Coby Dietrick and Mark Olberding. I thought that was awesome.Jimenez's, yep always a long wait there.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 03:27 PM
I remember People's.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Mamas Hofbrau was really good...I never understood why they killed it off...

Vashner
06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Mamas Hofbrau was really good...I never understood why they killed it off...

Good steaks there... I think Mamas invested money in the more mainstream places.. Hofbrau just sounded cooler... and made you want to order a German beer.

Big P
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Taco Palenque's chicken fajitas & their chips & guacamole salsa were the best...that place was packed at all hours of the night during my college years...I think they had a "fire" at the one on Wurzbach, collected the money, sold the lot to Taco Bell(I think), moved out on Marbach & it was all down hill from there...I've been to the one in Laredo a few years back..good to hear they are still around...good times

rl64tx
06-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Po' Folks!!! Always liked the Chicken Fried Steak! :smokin

Jimcs50
06-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Fratelli's, off of I-10 ... best Italian food ever.

My mom loved this place. She always wanted to take my wife and me there when we would come to town.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:14 PM
This thread made me hungry, dammit.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
This thread made me hungry, dammit.No joke, I could go for a big bacon cheese-burger right now.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't remember People's. But, I ate at that Jimenez' a couple of times. The food was great and very cheap if I remember. Didn't see anyone famous, though. :rolleyes

Remember Mario's downtown? Is it still there? I don't think so.

Anyway, I remember going there with my then boss. Going anywhere to eat with that man was a production. They met him at the door with two margaritas on the rocks and seated him in the best seat in the house; he'd have about 3-4 more margaritas while we were there, and you'd never know he had a drop...needless to say, I was driving. There were people fawning all over us the whole time we were there. He always tipped about $30-$50 for lunch, no matter how many of us there were or what (how little or how much) we ate. It was marvelous. They also treated him like that at LaFonda on N Main. Those people LOVED that man.

Mario's was a hangout for our family on Friday nights, my dad was really good friends with the owner and his kids. The sons now run the Mario's on Fredricksburg and 410, same food. But yeah Mario's always felt like a mafia hangout. :lol

Jimcs50
06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Gallaghers on IH 10 and Wurzbach (used to work there)

Swiss Chalet on Loop 410 near Broadway(worked there too)

The Pig Stand

Stuart Andersons on Loop 410 betw Cherry Ridge and Vance Jackson(dated the DJ there a few times)

Crystal Baking Company on Loop 410

Reeds Red Derby on San Pedro where Maggies was.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
I know Maggie's hasn't been closed for very long ... but man, that place has a lot of memories.

Jimcs50
06-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Is Tip Top Cafe still there?

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Anyone remember the Shakey's on San Pedro and Fredricksburg, great pizza.

Also puffing billy's home of the first $1.99 hamburger combo.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
I know Maggie's hasn't been closed for very long ... but man, that place has a lot of memories.What are they doing with that place now? I drove by several weeks back and I thought something else was going up there.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
What are they doing with that place now? I drove by several weeks back and I thought something else was going up there.

I drive by it all of the time, but I still can't figure it out ... no signs up still.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
I drive by it all of the time, but I still can't figure it out ... no signs up still.
Did they knock the building down or are they just rebuilding from the old structure?

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Is Tip Top Cafe still there?

yep, still there.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Did they knock the building down or are they just rebuilding from the old structure?

They've totally rebuilt at least the front of it ... the last time I saw it it was bright-assin' yellow.

ashbeeigh
06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh my goodness. Fajita Junction was the shit back in the day. That was like the only Mexican food my parents would eat when we moved here in the early 90s. And Sombreo Rosa! I think my sister, who is 15 now, developed her color klnowledge there. We loved the I-10 Diner at the Colonade too. But that one was pretty crapy towards the end, but was amazing right when we moved here. We have so many pictures of me and my sister when we were real little there. All these other places, I don't know. I'm so sheltered on the northside.

jman3000
06-07-2006, 04:40 PM
Remember the Bean Pot?

Oh shit... was that the place located on Bandera road, kinda close to Marshal High School? I remember when I was like 5 or 6 going there... and they had a big pot or bucket on the top of the restaraunt... I got my hand smashed in the car door when I was young there... good times. :spin

MrChug
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
There's no more sorely missed restaurant legendary fatality IMHO than Lil' Hips...:cry

Richard Cranium
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Ralley's Burgers

Lebowski Brickowski
06-07-2006, 05:19 PM
What the hell happened to the Longhorn Cafe?? Does anyone else think it sucks compared to back in the day, like in the late 80's through mid 90's?? Burgers were like $1.85!! THE BIG JUICY!!! Now they are small and not so good for like $4 somethin! Maybe that's common knowledge but I live in Austin now so I'm not so in tune witht this stuff. Or maybe I'm just too ooooold.

Sombrero Rosa! Sombro!, we called it. I always thought it was better than Taco Cabana but it was probably the same food. :lol

katyon6th
06-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm going to assume that most of you who have posted in this thread are 30+. :lol

Melmart1
06-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Little Hip's and GW Jr's.

And no, I am not 30. I have a whole 5 months till that happens :depressed

degenerate_gambler
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
GW Jr's.

Loved their messy assed guacamole burgers.

Jimcs50
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Anyone remember the Shakey's on San Pedro and Fredricksburg, great pizza.

I remember the one on San Pedro. I remeber the guys playing the banjo and piano, and the live entertainment. Those were the days.

degenerate_gambler
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM

With an ear to the commercial real estate market here, the plans when the new owners purchased it were to turn it into an upscale cigar bar.

Jimcs50
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm going to assume that most of you who have posted in this thread are 30+. :lol

You bet your sweet ass. Nostalgia is not for babies.

:)

Melmart1
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
With an ear to the commercial real estate market here, the plans when the new owners purchased it were to turn it into an upscale cigar bar.

How ironic, considering that Maggie's basically closed down because of lack of business do to the smoking regulations. At least I have perfected my own version of the Chicken Ranch nachos.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Oh shit... was that the place located on Bandera road, kinda close to Marshal High School? I remember when I was like 5 or 6 going there... and they had a big pot or bucket on the top of the restaraunt... I got my hand smashed in the car door when I was young there... good times. :spin

Where exactly was it at?

Big P
06-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Wasn't there a Bean Pot on Austin Highway right by the last original Mobile Station(with the flying horse) before Broadway?

gameFACE
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Burger Chef Kick ass place for a kid. It was like a fast food version of Fudruckers.
Bonanza Fucking Bonanza was the shit! Sizzler was for snobs.
Jim's Frontier Burgers Unlike the Jim's coffee shops JFB char-grilled their hamburgers.
First Mate "Always clean as a whistle"
Little Hipps
Shakey's Pizza

Mario's was a hangout for our family on Friday nights, my dad was really good friends with the owner and his kids. The sons now run the Mario's on Fredricksburg and 410, same food. But yeah Mario's always felt like a mafia hangout. :lol
You're not too far off! :lmao

Here’s a very tiny bit of Mario's history for those who are interested:

Mario Cantu was one of the most colorful figures in SA history. He died in December of ’02 of cirrhosis of the liver. He was a both philanthropist and drug smuggler. Local community activist and arms smuggler. At one time the illegal aliens that worked in his restaurant weren’t just the cross the border type but guerillas in exile from Chiapas where he was seen aiding their cause on network news. In 1976 he called then Mexican President Echevarria a fascist right to his face. He also paid for a community center on the Westside and helped a lot of disadvantaged people. That’s kind of what he was like.

Local politicos, socialites, artists, g-men and mafiosos all ate at Mario’s. A “see and be seen” kind of place. In the early ‘80’s he tried to build this huge Mayan pyramid looking restaurant but failed to get support. His political and personal troubles led him to exile in Paris where he opened a pretty innovative Mexican restaurant. It was a hit with the Parisians and won several awards. He eventually came back to SA in the early 90’s and tried to open a similar restaurant on the Westside called Mario’s Papa Maya but it failed. It was too ahead of it’s time. Today it would probably be a hit seeing there are places like Acenar, Rosario’s and Azuca. Eventually his brother Hector opened the Fred Rd. location in ’97 with Mario in a lesser role as a consultant. It’s still doing okay. I think Hector has retired and the business is run by Mario's nephew.

I still eat at the Mario’s on Fredericksburg Rd every now and then. Mostly, it’s good food and I recommend it to anyone. But I really miss the original. It was located where UTSA downtown is.

I do research on Mario from time to time. His story would make a good screenplay. Kind of a cross between Like Water for Chocalate and GoodFellas.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 06:20 PM
lol First Mate.. was that the fish fry walk up shack on Rosevelt??

gameFACE
06-07-2006, 06:26 PM
No, but I remember the place you're talking about. Damn, I can't remember the name! There was another one on Blanco Rd.

First Mate was shaped like a boat and it was walk in.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Hum.. there was one of those on Rosevelt too near the bowling ally. They used to have all you can eat fried cod on Thursday.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I am in my early 30's and all these places are bringing back great memories, keep them coming.

RealEstateDude
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Actually the Shanghai in UC is pretty good I use to go there for lunch sometimes with my mom.

It's a funny story because people would call info for the phone # and would always get the opposite one. Then they'd place an order 4 food and of course when they'd show up it wasn't ready.

So finally they went to court over the name and since the one in UC had it 1st they settled. I've been to both but the one on NW Mil was far better. I think they had a gambling problem because they closed down despite being busy...

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Burger Chef Kick ass place for a kid. It was like a fast food version of Fudruckers.
Bonanza Fucking Bonanza was the shit! Sizzler was for snobs.
Jim's Frontier Burgers Unlike the Jim's coffee shops JFB char-grilled their hamburgers.
First Mate "Always clean as a whistle"
Little Hipps
Shakey's Pizza

You're not too far off! :lmao

Here’s a very tiny bit of Mario's history for those who are interested:

Mario Cantu was one of the most colorful figures in SA history. He died in December of ’02 of cirrhosis of the liver. He was a both philanthropist and drug smuggler. Local community activist and arms smuggler. At one time the illegal aliens that worked in his restaurant weren’t just the cross the border type but guerillas in exile from Chiapas where he was seen aiding their cause on network news. In 1976 he called then Mexican President Echevarria a fascist right to his face. He also paid for a community center on the Westside and helped a lot of disadvantaged people. That’s kind of what he was like.

Local politicos, socialites, artists, g-men and mafiosos all ate at Mario’s. A “see and be seen” kind of place. In the early ‘80’s he tried to build this huge Mayan pyramid looking restaurant but failed to get support. His political and personal troubles led him to exile in Paris where he opened a pretty innovative Mexican restaurant. It was a hit with the Parisians and won several awards. He eventually came back to SA in the early 90’s and tried to open a similar restaurant on the Westside called Mario’s Papa Maya but it failed. It was too ahead of it’s time. Today it would probably be a hit seeing there are places like Acenar, Rosario’s and Azuca. Eventually his brother Hector opened the Fred Rd. location in ’97 with Mario in a lesser role as a consultant. It’s still doing okay. I think Hector has retired and the business is run by Mario's nephew.

I still eat at the Mario’s on Fredericksburg Rd every now and then. Mostly, it’s good food and I recommend it to anyone. But I really miss the original. It was located where UTSA downtown is.

I do research on Mario from time to time. His story would make a good screenplay. Kind of a cross between Like Water for Chocalate and GoodFellas.

Thanks for the piece of information, I loved Mario's tacos. Do you remember a guy who wrestled for Joe Blanchard who went by the name of El Tejano? He was a waiter at Mario's during the day.

Burger Chef- Awesome
Jim's frontier burgers were very good.

sa_butta
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
there was this place called Burger hop I remember going to a few times too.
Oh and What about Rudy's where Las Palapas is now off 410 by the airport.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
there was this place called Burger hop I remember going to a few times too.
Oh and What about Rudy's where Las Palapas is now off 410 by the airport.

Rooty's had some great rootbeer, shame it is also gone.

Sapphire
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Tin Bucket Cafe at Ingram/410. Also, that's where the People's restaurant that I remember was. Both of them were kick-ass back in the day.

Sapphire
06-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Also, Quick Wok Chinese was the shizz-nit, too. You could get sweet n' sour pork delivered with egg roll, rice, and soup for like 3 bucks.

Good times. :fro

cherylsteele
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Stuart Anderson's Cattle Company (that was the best steak in the best atmosphere I've ever eaten, bar none)
You can still go there....sorta....but now since it is Sugar's you get more than a steak:D

cherylsteele
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Tin Bucket Cafe
Whopper Burger
Conan's Pizza
Puffin' Billy's
Great American Hot Dog
Po Folks
Bullpepper's
Waffle House
Kettle

Godfather's is all over the northern US.

jman3000
06-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Where exactly was it at?

Where Bandera and Huebner hit... on the side of Bandera that Bandera Bowl is... but across from it... where that Blockbuster video is now.

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Tin Bucket Cafe
Whopper Burger
Conan's Pizza
Puffin' Billy's
Great American Hot Dog
Po Folks
Bullpepper's
Waffle House
Kettle

Great american hotdog- home of the 39 cent hotdog.
Conan's Pizza- Another treasure.

exstatic
06-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Peoples
Kabuki - on 281. closed last summer and is now India Palace II.
Mr. Dunderbachs in Northstar.
Houlihans in Northstar.
Garcia's Mexican in the Rivercenter
Wind Chimes Japanese in U.C.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Damn, Kabuki closed? That sucks ass.

Sapphire
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I was just going to mention Houlihan's in North Star--they had the best French onion soup ever. Also, there was a place in Ingram Park Mall (or Westlakes--it's been so long I can't remember) that used to make these sandwiches on these pita-type breads. They were delicious. We ate there a couple of times and it became one of our favorites, then disappeared. There was a place called Burger Time that was really good, too--they had the best 3 piece fish dinner, and the burgers were decent, too, for the price.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Man, I'd forgotten all about Puffin Billy. That place kicked ass.

BTW, for those that like Lil Hips, there is a new place up in the same location that makes the hamburgers the same way. I've had them a few times and they're very good. They still do the tots and fries in huge orders and all that stuff.

downinhtown
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
chester's hamburgers

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Conans is still open in Austin...

Chesters is still open in town no?

Willinsa
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Puffing Billy's had some good burgers, Garcia's at Rivercenter was good but it was never packed.

katyon6th
06-07-2006, 11:00 PM
They're opening a Chesters at 410 & Culebra, down the street from my office.

Just great.

davi78239
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Hey, they're opening up a Houlihan's on 1604 and close to 281 north. It's under construction right now, so good news there. Coming back! Speaking of Puffin Billy's, man that was some good shit too! Home of the Rail Rider Specials and goo goo glusters! What about Fletchers Corn Dogs next door on Walzem, remember that? And about that Dunkerbauker place, too bad the sandwich thing wasn't popular back then becuase that place would definitely have a market in society now with Subway, Quiznos, and all these other sub shops. Here's another one guys....Grandy's. Remember that one?

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Grady's isn't around anymore?

davi78239
06-07-2006, 11:52 PM
No, not Grady's (which is good stuff too), Grandy's. They use to have fried chicken, and lots of other stuff.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Ohhhh ok.

davi78239
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Ohhhh ok.

I think there was once one on Nacadochez or something.

Vashner
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Hey us URCooks still open? just curious...

Willinsa
06-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Grandy's had the old lady on its sign, good chicken and biscuits.

jman3000
06-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey us URCooks still open? just curious...
No, I believe they closed it down about 3-4 years ago... I only knew of 1 location though.

exstatic
06-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Tutto's in U.C. Fantastic calzones, particularly the quattro fromaggi.

pache100
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
I know Maggie's hasn't been closed for very long ... but man, that place has a lot of memories.

Yes...memories :angel . I didn't even know it was closed :depressed . I don't get to that part of town very often anymore.

Tutto's in U.C. Fantastic calzones, particularly the quattro fromaggi.

Tutto's! Yes, those Verlanders knew how to cook Italian. Wonder what ever happened to Suzy? She was so good in that kitchen, cooking up sauce. I used to eat there at least once a week and order pizza delivery at least once a week. It's about 1/2 mile from where I work and I used to live about 1/2 mile on the other side of it (Palisades Park Apartments up on the hill).

You know, that place was started by one of the owners of Luca's Pizza that used to be in all the malls back in the 70s and 80s. He would go to all the new cities and open new locations and then move on to the next. He liked it here so much, he wanted his own place, so he opened Tito's Pizza and then sold out to the Verlander family who changed the name (but not the food, which was better than Luca's) to Tutto's.

gameFACE
06-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the piece of information, I loved Mario's tacos. Do you remember a guy who wrestled for Joe Blanchard who went by the name of El Tejano? He was a waiter at Mario's during the day.
That's a great piece of info! I don't remember El Tejano (Joe Ortega per Wikipedia) but I remember Jose "El Torito" Lothario. :smokin

Also, Quick Wok Chinese was the shizz-nit, too. You could get sweet n' sour pork delivered with egg roll, rice, and soup for like 3 bucks.
Today I would probably hate it but i thought it was the best back then. :lol

pache100
06-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Anyone remember Sambo's in UC? It was a Jim's/Shoney's/Denny's 24/7 type place, but a much smaller chain. They had the BEST burgers and sandwiches. My first apartment was in the Kitty Hawk Apartments and I could walk to Sambo's and get something to eat. I never ate anything there that wasn't just yummy. They got involved in a discrimination lawsuit (because they had the story of "Little Black Sambo" in murals on their walls) and they never recovered. Such a shame.

My parents used to run the concession stands at Trinity U and at Randolph HS during football season. We'd always go to Sambo's to eat after we finished cleaning up after a game. It would be 1 or 2 AM before we got there and we'd have the place to ourselves. I worked mostly evenings back then, and my Mom and I would go there a lot to eat before I went to work. It was so cool because we could get breakfast or lunch, whichever we felt like, and everything was always sooo good.

pache100
06-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Tin Bucket Cafe
Whopper Burger
Conan's Pizza
Puffin' Billy's
Great American Hot Dog
Po Folks
Bullpepper's
Waffle House
Kettle

Bullpepper's is GONE??? I didn't know that. I only ate there once, but I LOVED it! Conan's Pizza...now, that was some dang good pizza. I still eat at the Waffle House when I go to Ft. Worth (or just about anywhere in the South or Southwest). You can't beat their waffles for the price; I don't know why they never did as well or had as many restaurants here as they do other places. I also still go to the Kettle in Seguin from time to time, although it's been ages since I have been there. Never cared for Puffin' Billy's food, but it was a CUTE place.

chester's hamburgers

Chester's Hamburgers is NOT gone. I had a BLT and some of their delicious onion rings there on Tuesday. :spin

degenerate_gambler
06-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Does anyone remember the Bull Moose Restaurant that was on Blanco inside the Loop? My dad only took us there once cuz it was expensive as shit. But the menu consisted of wild game like elk, moose, buffalo, etc.

tlongII
06-08-2006, 10:20 AM
SA Prime

Willinsa
06-08-2006, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=gameFACE]That's a great piece of info! I don't remember El Tejano (Joe Ortega per Wikipedia) but I remember Jose "El Torito" Lothario. :smokin

El Tejano was one of the guys who always lost, I think Lothario used to own a place on Bandera road.

Willinsa
06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Anyone remember Sambo's in UC? It was a Jim's/Shoney's/Denny's 24/7 type place, but a much smaller chain. They had the BEST burgers and sandwiches. My first apartment was in the Kitty Hawk Apartments and I could walk to Sambo's and get something to eat. I never ate anything there that wasn't just yummy. They got involved in a discrimination lawsuit (because they had the story of "Little Black Sambo" in murals on their walls) and they never recovered. Such a shame.

My parents used to run the concession stands at Trinity U and at Randolph HS during football season. We'd always go to Sambo's to eat after we finished cleaning up after a game. It would be 1 or 2 AM before we got there and we'd have the place to ourselves. I worked mostly evenings back then, and my Mom and I would go there a lot to eat before I went to work. It was so cool because we could get breakfast or lunch, whichever we felt like, and everything was always sooo good.

Yeah Sambo's was good, very kind friendly place. I recall going there many times.

davi78239
06-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey, remember the Miami Grill just off 410 and blanco on the corner? I ate there once and it was pretty good. Now its some authentic mexican restaurant.

MrChug
06-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Great american hotdog- home of the 39 cent hotdog.
Conan's Pizza- Another treasure.

There is a Conan's Pizza in Austin off Burnet rd. and 183 if you wanna make a roadie!

Willinsa
06-08-2006, 01:04 PM
There is a Conan's Pizza in Austin off Burnet rd. and 183 if you wanna make a roadie!

Time for a road trip.

cherylsteele
06-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Bullpepper's is GONE??? I didn't know that. I only ate there once, but I LOVED it! Conan's Pizza...now, that was some dang good pizza. I still eat at the Waffle House when I go to Ft. Worth (or just about anywhere in the South or Southwest). You can't beat their waffles for the price; I don't know why they never did as well or had as many restaurants here as they do other places. I also still go to the Kettle in Seguin from time to time, although it's been ages since I have been there. Never cared for Puffin' Billy's food, but it was a CUTE place.

As I understand it the Waffle House owner here was sued for sexual harassement big time......the owner just decided to shut down alk the locations.

The big reason why thry don't come back is the coat....the corporate office requires the franchisee to pay for health insurance with no cost to the employee.

I was driving up San Pedro and went past the old Maggies and Bullpepper's....Bullpepper's looked deserted and run down and the sign was missing some of the letters on it.....in my book that says closed down.

Puffin Billy's was alot like Rally's. Fair burger but the cost was nice. Burger fries and a coke waa like $2.99 or so.

cherylsteele
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
There was also a place called Bugaloo Grill on Tezel.
It had some great mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak.
It was a little expensive but one plate could easily serve two people with leftovers.

sa_butta
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I think there was once one on Nacadochez or something.Yes that was good stuff.

sa_butta
06-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Hey us URCooks still open? just curious...Man I miss that place, they had good cuts of meat.

Sapphire
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I think there is a restaurant called Karina's that is going in where Maggie's used to be. Not 100% sure, but it seems like I read that somewhere. Bulpeppers has been closed for quite a while now. It looks like a nice little location, you wonder why no one else has gone in there with something.

Willinsa
06-08-2006, 06:26 PM
There was also a place called Bugaloo Grill on Tezel.
It had some great mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak.
It was a little expensive but one plate could easily serve two people with leftovers.

Great place I knew the owner and that place was good, too bad not enough business.

sa_butta
06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Is Chinese Cafe still around? I think there use to be one on Walzem long ago.

Willinsa
06-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Anyone remember the cafeteria style restaurant at crossroads back in the 80's? it was at the entrance by where radio shack is now?