PDA

View Full Version : Fuck Star Wars, Fuck Lucas!

MadDog73
06-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I never thought I'd say that. For the record, I was a huge Star Wars geek (who wasn't!?!). I was even part of the "Star Was Fan Club", had all the action figures, etc., etc.

I saw the Special Edition of Episode IV at the Mann's Chinese Theater in January 1997. I was so pissed, they ruined that movie. Ruined it.

Ever since, I've been waiting for Lucas to release the Original versions on DVD so I could enjoy the movies in their original glory.

Well, apparently, that is not to be:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/Lucasfilm_PR_response.cfm

I wanted you to know how much we appreciate the passion and enthusiasm you have for Star Wars, and thank you for sharing your concerns about our upcoming DVD release.

The DVDs being released in September will contain two versions of Star Wars: Episodes IV, V and VI – the Special Editions (which represent George’s vision of the movies) and the first versions, which will be included as bonus material. We hoped that releasing those “original” movies on a bonus disc would be a way to have some additional fun with the debut of the movies as individual DVDs. We certainly did not want it to become a source of concern or frustration for any of our fans.

As you may know, an enormous amount of effort was put into digitally restoring the negatives for the Special Editions. In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed, and the Special Editions were created through a frame-by-frame digital restoration. The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

So many fans have requested the original movies, we wanted to find a way to bring them to you. But since these movies do not represent George's artistic vision, we could not put the extraordinary time and resources into this project as we did with the Special Editions. The 1993 Laserdisc masters represented the best source for providing the original versions as DVD bonus material. Although these are non-anamorphic versions, they do preserve the original widescreen composition of the movies.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans – now or in the future – to restore the earlier versions.

We hope you will understand our decision and, again, want to let you know how much we appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.

Sincerely,
Lynne Hale
[email protected]

There's lots of links out there, but I think this sums it up best:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

I listened to Gabriel with increasing disbelief. I'd heard, as I think everyone did, that the original - by which I mean the original original - Star Wars trilogy was coming to DVD. What I had not heard, and what Gabriel intimated to me with his eyes wide was that these would not be from the scrubbed, manicured footage they used to make the re-imaginings, they would, in fact, be anamorphic rips from old laserdiscs. What's more, they can't even be purchased separately. They can only be purchased with the newer versions, together, for ninety dollars! Ha!

Clearly, the original trilogy can't be put in a position where it can outsell the new one - that's just not going to happen, so those two things must be in a statistically coherent package. But as to why the original movies can't even be seen in their original format, it's actually been claimed that George Lucas (in a manner of speaking) "taped over" the classic trilogy. That terminology was a little too good to pass up. There are good shepherds of that beloved context, but they toil in the long shadow of a dark obelisk.

TheSanityAnnex
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
:cry

:lmao

Vashner
06-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Some things are better on film...

ObiwanGinobili
06-07-2006, 04:06 PM
:pctoss

Emo will have a fit.
but I'm cool with it. besides, StarTrek comes 1st for me , Star Wars 2nd.
As long as it;s on the bonus material I'll live.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 04:09 PM
It's got 2 versions of 4 5 and 6... how is that bad???

Making it look better is not going to change the story. You have to appreciate that ep 4 was so early in technology and filmed on .. well FILM..

The young need to respect the old.

John Doe
06-07-2006, 04:24 PM
:pctoss

Emo will have a fit.
but I'm cool with it. besides, StarTrek comes 1st for me , Star Wars 2nd.
As long as it;s on the bonus material I'll live.

Which series, original, Next Generation, Voyager.....?

ObiwanGinobili
06-07-2006, 04:38 PM
1. TNG
2. TOS
3. ENT
4. tie VOY/DS9... an;t really say one is better.. or worse than the other.

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
User was trying to get me to watch one the episodes in Spanish last night. Which was funny because neither of us speak it. :spin

ObiwanGinobili
06-07-2006, 04:42 PM
:lmao

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM
"Hey .... you wanna watch Darth Vader speak Spanish? :eyebrows :eyebrows "

Melmart1
06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Soy su padre, Luke!

SpursWoman
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Soy su padre, Luke!

Exactly! :lmao :lmao

Spurminator
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
http://www.devilducky.com/media/45466/

ZStomp
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Darn.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Wasn't it one of the gayest movie moments of all time at the end of Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader's ghost is Hayden Christiansen.

MadDog73
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Wasn't it one of the gayest movie moments of all time at the end of Return of the Jedi when Darth Vader's ghost is Hayden Christiansen.

It was.

Then Darth Vader finally emerging at the end of Episode III and crying "NOOOOOOOOO" like a little girl... that takes the Gay cake to a whole nother level.

Seriously, I expected the Emperor to hold him in his arms and cradle him.

That devil ducky clip has it right on.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Darth Vader swapped spit with Eva...
http://thebosh.com/archives/evahayden.jpg

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
It was.

Then Darth Vader finally emerging at the end of Episode III and crying "NOOOOOOOOO" like a little girl... that takes the Gay cake to a whole nother level.

Seriously, I expected the Emperor to hold him in his arms and cradle him.

That devil ducky clip has it right on.

roflroflrofl
it was at that exact moment that the movie lost all credibility with me....it totally ruined everything the movie eagerly rushed to achieve

where's padme?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Vashner
06-07-2006, 06:19 PM
It was "where's Padme"..

"It seems in your rage you killed her"

"NOOOO"..

But that was part of the story since George thought up the whole thing.. how did it "loose credibility?".

jman3000
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
could he have yelled "fuck" and keep the pg 13 rating? or maybe something more star wars in nature like ...."shit"

"son of a bitch"
"*cries*"
or how about he just starts killing people left and right and instead of the time it took for him to say "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" you could just have him killing a bunch of people?

jman3000
06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Darth Vader swapped spit with Eva...
http://thebosh.com/archives/evahayden.jpg

He has the unique ability to smile for 2 cameras at once... a very sought after skill in Hollywood nowadays.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 06:25 PM
he did kill a bunch of people.. Between that scene and EP6 a period of almost 30 some odd years.. he blew up a couple planets and drove around in an Executioner killing anything that pissed him off...

Ginofan
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
BUT I HAVE THE HIGH GROUnD!!!

PM5K
06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed

Well it can't be that hard to put 1 million pieces of dirt back on a piece of film...

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Dirt lol... particles...

I am still mad at Hollyweed for not making more good sci fi epics..

Look at the sales numbers for star wars...

Do they give us the sci fi fix?

No just Michael Moore's fat ass or more Jennifer / Brad...

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 09:37 PM
It was "where's Padme"..

"It seems in your rage you killed her"

"NOOOO"..

But that was part of the story since George thought up the whole thing.. how did it "loose credibility?".

The "noooooo" was so crappy, are you kidding? It ruined any feeling of empathy you were supposed to feel for Vader at that point. Also, it was all so very very rushed. From the beginning to the anticlimactic "nooooo" He goes from being a loyal Jedi to slaughtering Younglings in like 2 scenes.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I don't know if it was GL's intention for us to feel Empathy... more like pathetic fool... when the Emperor smiled...

He had been working him for years since he was a kid (Palpatine).. well I accept how GL served the movie. Sometimes you have to let go and let the movie take you where you would rather not go.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Meh. I'll always be one of the people who think the new trilogy was horrible. At least thye shouldn't have changed the old ones. I just like my classics to be left alone.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 10:00 PM
They said on this DVD master series release it will have 4 5 6 original and remastered.