PDA

View Full Version : draft prospect Jordan Farmar, PG, UCLA

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Jordan Farmar, PG, UCLA
Not only is Farmar the best prospect in the camp, he's the best one to play in a pre-draft camp in a while.

Farmar is a pure point guard who led UCLA to the NCAA championship game. He's ranked by many NBA teams as the second- or third-best point guard in the draft.

could spurs trade with suns for their 20 pick and get this kid?

Bruno
06-07-2006, 06:25 PM
What do you want to trade to get the 20th pick ?
and I rather have Beno as backup PG than a rookie.

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:28 PM
let farmar and beno fit it out in training camp

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
http://nbadraft.net/profiles/jordanfarmar.asp

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
NBA Comparison: Luke Ridnour

Strengths: True point guard with excellent vision and passing ability ... Has a great feel for the game, with the ability to elevate the level of play of his teammates ... Amazing creativity and anticipation ... Sees plays before they develop, finds teammates the instant they become open, the mark of a great passer ... Ball handling ability is superb ... Very good shooter with range ... Uses change of speeds well ... Good quickness, gets into the lane and by defenders well ... Has a bag of tricks offensively with a nasty crossover and good ability to pull up for shots when open ... Plays solid team defense, reads passing lanes for steals ..

Weaknesses: Athleticism and strength could be an issue for him in the NBA ... Lacks great body strength, not a physical specimen type but has some leaping ability and quickness ... A big or real physical guard can push him around ... Turnover prone, can get caught up trying to be too fancy ... Makes a lot of spectacular passes, but in trying to do so makes a lot of turnovers ... Small hands seem to make him more prone to turnovers ... Lacks explosiveness and finishing ability around the basket ... Not especially long or tall, cant see over defenses and must make ball fakes to get passes over or around bigger defenders ...

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
if I draft an american I draft him
beno has no confidence so you have to bring in somone else anyhow
he is not going to cost much

trade picks with the suns they will want them after nextr year with them being over their money problem

strangeweather
06-07-2006, 06:36 PM
NBA Comparison: Luke Ridnour
No offense, but I'm not dying to trade up to make sure we land The Next Luke Ridnour.

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
we are just looking for a backup not a starter
do you want to keep trying nve's out of the world?
beno is no the answer because po would rather play the nve's of the world

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Strengths: Farmar’s best attributes revolve around his phenomenal playmaking skills, basketball IQ and the way he makes everyone around him better, which separates him from every other point guard in this draft except for possibly Marcus Williams. Farmar is an unbelievable passer, possessing terrific court vision and an uncanny knack for delivering the ball in a favorable position to score. Much of his success as both a passer and a scorer has to do with his terrific ball-handling skills. Farmar possesses all the crafty little tricks great shot-creators have. Considering that he is not an explosive athlete, this ability to create space to operate is extremely important.

Weaknesses: The most glaring would be his lack of athleticism, as he possesses average explosiveness at best. His first step is not all that impressive. He often needs a screen, nifty ball-handling or other tricks to get by his man at the college level. He is not a consistent shooter. Farmar showed some definite problems with not knowing his limitations at times. Farmar’s second biggest weakness is his defense. He only possesses average length and lateral quickness and therefore struggles to stay in front of quicker opponents.

Outlook: A prospect with rare strengths and glaring weaknesses, Farmar is clearly a beauty in the eye of the beholder type of prospect. Farmar has a definite itch to play in the NBA, and would likely stay in the draft should he be guaranteed a first-round selection. He said he will not attend the Orlando pre-draft camp, relying on private workouts to try and get his stock to where it needs to be.

Comparison: Deron Williams

Bruno
06-07-2006, 06:39 PM
trade picks with the suns they will want them after nextr year with them being over their money problem

I rather keep our pick for 2007. 2007 will be a way better draft than 2006.

A rookie like Farmer won't help us for the 06-07 year more than a min player like Palacio, Pargo or Vaughn.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I have seen him play a lot and I don't even know if he'll make it in the NBA. He's a bad finisher, not too athletic, poor percentage shooter, inconsistent and turnover prone. He's okay, but I'm surprised if people think he's a first round pick.

Mr. Body
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Trade up for this guy? Get real.

strangeweather
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
we are just looking for a backup not a starter
do you want to keep trying nve's out of the world?
beno is no the answer because po would rather play the nve's of the world
Personally, the top PG on my wishlist for next year is Pargo. Fairly cheap, has some experience, and he and Beno can compete for the backup spot.

I don't hate the idea of drafting Farmar, I'm just not that excited. His bio looks a lot like Beno, maybe with a better handle.

Mr. Body
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
I rather keep our pick for 2007. 2007 will be a way better draft than 2006.

A rookie like Farmer won't help us for the 06-07 year more than a min player like Palacio, Pargo or Vaughn.

I don't think you can trade away picks in consecutive drafts. So if we trade away a 1st rounder, it must be 2008 or later.

Bruno
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
He's okay, but I'm surprised if people think he's a first round pick.

Welcome in the 2006 draft. :)

strangeweather
06-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I don't think you can trade away picks in consecutive drafts. So if we trade away a 1st rounder, it must be 2008 or later.
There are loopholes. You end up trading the resulting player after the draft instead of the pick before the draft, but the net result is the same.

Bruno
06-07-2006, 06:45 PM

In fact you can do a Famer for 2007 first round pick trade.
Phoenix had to draft Farmer for us and than we trade Farmer draft rights for a 2007 first round pick just after the draft.

Mr. Body
06-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the inf. But of course the Spurs should onto 2007 picks.

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I only say him in march madness

he looked decent then
then some thought he would go in the first round I thought he would be ok
soem have said he was the second or 3 best point guard in draft
if that is the case he might go in the first round

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
I have seen him play a lot and I don't even know if he'll make it in the NBA. He's a bad finisher, not too athletic, poor percentage shooter, inconsistent and turnover prone. He's okay, but I'm surprised if people think he's a first round pick.

you should write these draft info's up

one that I posted said he was an good shooter

Mr. Body
06-07-2006, 06:50 PM
^^^
Probably, but it's an incredibly weak year for PGs. They all came out last year.

What about Dee Brown?

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:51 PM
dee brown has been impressive

DDS4
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Other than Bill Walton and Baron Davis, how many Bruins have panned out in the NBA? Not many.

*I'm a UCLA alum.

ducks
06-07-2006, 06:56 PM
DEE BROWN

The Griz own the 24th pick in the first round of the June 28 NBA draft.

"We think that's an area we want to look at in the draft," said Tony Barone Sr., the team's director of player personnel. "We want to investigate as many combo guards as we can find. A combo guard to us is a guard who can absolutely play both positions. We want someone who can survive at either position."

Enter Illinois' Dee Brown, who Friday helped give the Grizzlies what Barone described as the organization's best workout since arriving in Memphis.

Brown displayed deft shooting and exceptional speed throughout a session with Rutgers' Quincy Douby and South Carolina's Tarence Kinsey.

Brown easily proved himself as the most electrifying prospect.

"Those are very hard guys to find because if you're trying to convert a shooting guard into a point, then that's next to impossible," Barone said of combo guards. "And most point guards aren't big enough to play shooting guard. Strength is the No. 1 attribute you're looking for in these (combo) guys."

The Griz will resume pre-draft workouts Tuesday.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2006, 07:00 PM
:td No thanks, he's not quick enough.

baseline bum
06-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Farmar is in this draft for one reason: it's his only shot to ever be picked in the first round and get that guarnateed contract. He's not a point. He's a mini 2-guard who has a good jumpshot by college-level standards. Have you ever seen this guy try to run a pick and roll? He can't execute it in the NCAA, so he'll be eaten alive in the NBA trying to attack defenders twice as fast as he is. He's definitely not a PG. UCLA's offense runs so much better when he plays the 2 and Collison is running the point. He's mostly a streak-shooter. When he's hot, he'll put up 20 points in 10 minutes like it's nothing, but when he's not hot then he's ice-cold. I don't see the potential for him to really improve, and without speed, this guy's size spells doom for him in the NBA. I'd take his teammate Afflalo over him in a second, only because the guy is a great defender who looks like he hasn't realized his potential yet. Farmar's your protypical UCLA legend, NBA bust in the making.

ducks
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Kyle Lowry

Name:Kyle Lowry
Height:6' 1"
Weight:175 pounds
Current Team:Villanova , Sophomore

NBA Position:PG
Date of Birth:3/25/1986 (20 Years Old)
High School:Cardinal Dougherty
Hometown:Philadelphia, Pa.
Earliest Draft Class:2006
Current Position:PG
Possible Positions:PG
Best Case Scenario:Jamaal Tinsley
Worst Case Scenario:Marcus Banks
Profile Written By:Jonathan Watters
Last Updated:4/30/2006

Strengths:
Kyle Lowry’s game is all about explosiveness. Certain point guards have that electric ability to do something special every time they put the ball on the floor, and Lowry belongs in that category. Thick-bodied and physical, Lowry embodies that tough Villanova mentality we saw all season long, and is probably the most athletically imposing point guard in the 2006 draft.

Simply put, Lowry is a blur on the court. His pure speed makes him a threat to create a fast break basket in the blink of an eye, and he generally makes good decisions in the open court. He pushes the ball relentlessly at every opportunity, seeming to pick up steam when other players begin to tire.

His first step sticks out even at the NBA level, as very few point guards anywhere are as dangerous as Lowry off the dribble. It doesn’t take much of an opening for Lowry to get to the basket, even with defenders usually daring him to beat them with his jumper. He will cross defenders over, slash to the basket, or pull up for the occasional midrange jumper in traffic. Lowry’s strength is a major advantage here, as he has no problem powering through a bit of body contact on the way to the basket.

Lowry’s explosiveness is even more evident on the defensive end, where is capable of changing a game at the drop of a hat with his brutal on-the-ball pressure defense. Villanova’s vaunted 4-guard lineup was known for its suffocating fullcourt defense, and while Randy Foye and Allan Ray might have been the big-time scorers, Lowry was the catalyst on the defensive end. An opposing point guard’s worst nightmare, Lowry never stops pressuring the basketball. He has lightning quick hands and feet, and that thick frame perfect for getting physical with already overmatched lead guards.

Lowry seems to relish playing the aggressor on the defensive end, and shows great anticipation skills any time an opponent starts to get lazy passing the ball. He led the Big East in steals as a sophomore, and given Lowry’s ability to handle the ball and get down the court, many of those steals resulted in two points before the opposition even had a chance to react.

As a point guard, Lowry has received plenty of help in his two seasons at Villanova, but took over as Jay Wright’s primary floor general as a sophomore. Flawless as a dribbler, Lowry has excellent court vision and does a good job of moving the ball within the offense. Very rarely does he make a pass that isn’t productive in some way. He improved his Ast/TO ratio substantially this season, finishing at a respectable 1.7-to-1. When things are clicking for him, there are times when Lowry can take over as a fullcourt ballhandler, breaking presses by himself, making lightning quick decisions and creating for his teammates effortlessly.

Lowry uses his physical nature to his advantage around the basket. He rebounds very well for a smaller point guard (4.3 per game), and his ability to get off the floor quickly allows him to find success on the glass against much taller players. If one only saw his game-winning offensive rebound put back against Notre Dame this past season, they would never guess that Lowry is a 6’0 PG.

Finally, special mention must be given to the way that Lowry plays the game. He had a bit of a hothead reputation coming out of high school, but Lowry has managed to filter out most of the negatives while keeping every bit of his fiery, aggressive on-court persona. He plays with unrivaled physicality and passion, and displays a relentlessness that many college-level guards really can’t prepare for. Every coach wants to have a KyleLowry-style guard in his backcourt.

Weaknesses:
While Lowry generally passes the look test as an NBA point guard prospect, questions still remain about his ability to control a game full-time. Lowry played a complementary role (at least offensively) to Randy Foye and Allen Ray in Jay Wright’s backcourt rotation, and while many have claimed that their presence was the only thing keeping Lowry from exploding into full-fledged stardom, they also unquestionably made things easier for him.

How would Lowry have handled being a marked man next fall, with defenses now focused in on him instead of Foye and Ray? Would he be able to keep up the defensive intensity and stamina with his increased offensive role? Most believe that Lowry has the tools to play in the NBA, but he could prove it once and for all by returning to Villanova and leading the Wildcats back to the NCAA Touranment in that “go-to” role.

Beyond this, Lowry’s biggest question mark at this point may be a suspect perimeter jumper. While his percentages look good, Lowry rarely attempted to score from the outside at Villanova. Part of this was due to the presence of three outstanding shooters in the Villanova lineup in Ray, Foye, and Nardi, but defenders didn’t feel compelled to guard Lowry’s jump shot most of the time, and Lowry rarely made them pay for it. His form has improved substantially from his freshman season, but Lowry still must that he can keep defenses honest on a consistent basis.

There is a fine line between aggression and forcing the issue, and with Lowry’s mentality, he tends to toe it quite often. There are moments on both ends of the floor where Lowry will get a bit overeager, forcing a pass that really isn’t there, forcing the action off the dribble when nothing is there, or picking up silly perimeter touch fouls on the defensive end. These issues don’t appear to be crippling in the case of Lowry, but decision making issues have cropped up from time to time. As Lowry matures as a floor general, he will have to learn how to reign in his own attacking nature a bit better.

There are also size issues with Lowry. While he supposedly grew an inch between his freshman and sophomore seasons and is now listed at a respectable 6’1, he doesn’t appear to be quite that tall. Lowry’s lack of size really hurts him right now, as he isn’t an outside threat and defenders are free to sag off and focus on altering his finishes at the rim. Proving himself as a jump shooter changes everything, but if Lowry measures in under 6’0, his stock could take a bit of a hit.

Lowry tore his ACL headed into his freshman season at Villanova, but made a near-miraculous midseason return, ending up as the catalyst for the Wildcats’ sweet 16 run. NBA teams will certainly do their homework on the injury, though Lowry’s quick recovery would seem to indicate that there isn’t much to be concerned about.

A certain buzz had developed around Lowry throughout the season, to the point where another big NCAA Tournament performance may have pushed his stock into the lottery. Unfortunately, just the opposite happened. Lowry shot the ball poorly, forced the issue offensively, and didn’t come through in clutch situations. Essentially, we are talking about the major question marks scouts have about his game coming to the forefront in the most important moments of the season. While Lowry’s NCAA Tournament performance doesn’t come close to erasing an outstanding sophomore season, it would be a very disappointing way for Lowry to end his college career, and Lowry may have to re-prove himself a bit in competitive situations.

Competition:
Lowry returned quickly from an ACL tear before his freshman season, sparking Villanova to a nice run in the NCAA Tournament. Lowry scored 15 points in the second round win against Florida, and followed that up with a huge 18 point performance in a near-upset of North Carolina in the Sweet 16. On the season, Lowry averaged 7.5 pts, 3.2 reb, 2.0 ast and 1.3 stl in 23.5 mpg, shooting 42.1% from the floor, 63.5% from the line, and 22.7% from beyond the arc.

As a sophomore, Lowry emerged as Villanova's primary ballhandler and defensive catalyst. While flashes of scoring prowess were seen, his main role on the offensive end was to complement prolific seniors Randy Foye and Allan Ray. A subpar NCAA Tournament performance put a damper on what was a very impressive overall season. He averaged 11 pts, 4.3 reb, 3.7 ast, 2.1 to, and 2.3 stl in 29.3 minutes, while shooting 46.6% from the floor, 78.6% from the line, and 44.4% from beyond the arc.

Outlook:
Kyle Lowry will have a very difficult choice to make on whether or not to stay in the 2006 NBA Draft. This draft is definitely light on point guards, and Lowry has a very good chance to get into the late first round, if not higher. He was one of the top defensive players in the nation this past season, and Villanova didn't truly emerge as a national power until Lowry began contributing. At the same time, Lowry has a lot to prove. His role within the Villanova system was a complementary one, and he has never been relied upon to shoulder the load for his team. Combined, his lack of size and shaky outside shot are big issues. Lowry has a lot to gain by heading back to Villanova for his junior season, but the lure of a spot in the first round may be too much for him to pass up.

ducks
06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Kyle Lowry, Villanova: Lowry is still testing the waters, although he told me Monday that he's leaning toward staying in the draft.

Lowry is built like an NFL defensive back, with huge shoulders, a thick chest and big calves. He's strong, physical and explosive. He's a blur on the floor and it's clear he's going to be a nightmare in the NBA on the defensive end.

In the type of workout I saw Monday, it was impossible to gauge his point guard skills. He did run a few drills up and down the floor throwing lobs to Simmons, but not much else. His ballhandling was excellent in some agility drills.

The one thing that stood out to me was how well Lowry shot the ball. He has had a rep as a poor shooter in college, but he looked as though he could sink his shot with ease from everywhere on the floor Monday.

I'm surprised Lowry hasn't gotten more buzz in the draft. He is a legit point guard, has NBA strength and speed, and is a great defender. Also, his jump shot is better than advertised. The 76ers, Wizards, Nets and Cavs, among other teams, could use a player like him in the backcourt.

Once he declares, expect his stock to rise.

chad ford from espn insider 6-7 2006

ducks
06-07-2006, 07:34 PM
NBA Draft: Kyle Lowry

College: Villanova
Class: Sophomore
Stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=22441
Position: PG
Height: 6”0”
Weight: 185 lbs

Accolades: Pennsylvania High School Player of the Year (04), Big East All-Rookie Team (05), Philadelphia Big Five Rookie of the Year (05), Big East Second Team All-Conference (06), First Team All-Big Five (06).

Scouting Report: Aggressive, strong point guard who lacks an outside shot.

Strengths: Very quick at both ends of the floor. Great hands – gets a ton of steals. Great rebounder for his size. Good defender. Very aggressive player. Great floor general.

Weaknesses: Lacks an outside shot – has only made 13 three pointers in 40 attempts in his career. Not much of an offensive threat – never been looked upon to score in college. Not very experienced having only played 2 years in college. Little on the short side for the NBA.

Projected 2006 Draft Range: Mid to late first round pick.

Consensus: On a Villanova squad jammed with talented guards, Lowry emerged as the best point guard. He hopes to do the same in this year’s draft’s weak point guard field. Another year in college, where he could show what type of offensive game he has, would definitely help

Mr. Body
06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
A black dude named Kyle?

MissAllThat
06-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Jordan Farmar, PG, UCLA
Not only is Farmar the best prospect in the camp, he's the best one to play in a pre-draft camp in a while.

Farmar is a pure point guard who led UCLA to the NCAA championship game. He's ranked by many NBA teams as the second- or third-best point guard in the draft.

could spurs trade with suns for their 20 pick and get this kid?

Whoa, I was totally going to start a thread about Farmar. He was pretty good with UCLA this year. And actually he's ranked as the #25 PG by ESPN. He's a guarantee to go in the second right now, and maybe late in the first, but at the moment that's doubtful. If he has a good camp he might move up, but he could still slip. If he's still around in the second round, I'd say the Spurs need to figure out a way to trade up because there's no way he'll be around when they pick. Another UCLA guy I wouldn't mind us going after is Arron Afflalo. He's also amazing. Either one would be great. Of course Jordan would probably become the new Beno among the female fans in SA. I think the Spurs should work both of these guys out. Alas if they show much interest in them and don't trade up then I can see Dallas stealing one of them just for the sake up keeping them from San Antonio ala Eduardo Najera.

Phil Hellmuth
06-08-2006, 02:41 AM
farmar is a backstreet boy with no basketball skill at all at the NBA level.

MissAllThat
06-08-2006, 11:35 PM
farmar is a backstreet boy with no basketball skill at all at the NBA level.

Yeah, thats what people say about lots of people that slip in the draft/don't get drafted at all. If he's still around I say go for it. Go look at the recent drafts. There's been a lot of players that obviously people thought weren't all that great before the draft that slipped and are now good players. Whatever San Antonio gets will probably work out well, at least if not for us somewhere else. They've been pretty good at this draft thing.

Spurologist
06-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Farmer will be lucky if he gets drafted. His dimiunitive stature, lack of passion/killer instinct, snail like speed and inadequate jumpshot make him useless at this time. However, he would fit right into suns' social class considering his "backstreet boy" background

Kori Ellis
06-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Farmer will be lucky if he gets drafted. His dimiunitive stature, lack of passion/killer instinct, snail like speed and inadequate jumpshot make him useless at this time. However, he would fit right into suns' social class considering his "backstreet boy" background

He's expected to be drafted around 20th. So I don't think he'll not get drafted at all. But I do agree that it will be tough for him to become an NBA player.

Gin N Juice
06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Other than Bill Walton and Baron Davis, how many Bruins have panned out in the NBA? Not many.

*I'm a UCLA alum.

Reggie Miller,

Spurologist
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
He's expected to be drafted around 20th. So I don't think he'll not get drafted at all. But I do agree that it will be tough for him to become an NBA player.

I was exagerrating a bit. He will be consistently one of the best 3rd string back up point guards.

TheSanityAnnex
06-09-2006, 01:17 PM
This is one of the worst drafts concerning PG's. Saying he is the second or third best isn't saying much. The dude has skills, but is not very athletic.