PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chicks Tour Ticket Sales in the Tank

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2006, 06:56 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyid=2006-06-07T230808Z_01_N07224908_RTRUKOC_0_US-DIXIE.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

:lol

Vashner
06-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Saddam was gonna buy box tix but he was tied up at the moment.

DavidWooderson
06-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Man, I dig them Dixie Chicks.

billboardbill
06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't stand the Dixie Chicks, I hope all their shows bomb............

NameDropper
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Rumor has it the Dixie Chicks are having the last laugh.

Dixie Chicks Stay at No.1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060607/en_music_eo/19213)

For a second straight week, the Dixie Chicks' first post-Incident album--Taking the Long Way--ruled the roost at number one. For the week ended June 4, Long Way held the top spot, selling another 271,000 copies, according to the latest Nielsen SoundScan numbers.

This puts the group's two-week tally at 799,000 copies, just a 1,000 copies shy of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' four-week tally for Stadium Arcadium, which currently sits at three and which held the top spot for the two weeks prior to the Chicks' debut. Long Way also marks the Dixie Chicks third number one debut, which extends the trio�s benchmark as the only female group with multiple chart-topping bows.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
It's easy for a record company to go out and buy CDs of one of their artists to inflate sales numbers.

Not so easy for them to go buy 10,000 concert tickets and fill up those seats with imaginary people.

NameDropper
06-07-2006, 08:43 PM
True, but the fact is they ARE at No.1 and that fact cannot be disputed. Plus there are many very successful musicians who couldn't fill a HS gym but that doesn't mean they don't sell records. But I understand your hate for the Dixie Chicks.

SPARKY
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
America. Fuck. Yeah.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately for the Chicks, the bulk of a band's income most likey comes from touring instead of CD sales.

Solid D
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
"Dixie" - a song popular in the Confederate Army and sung at traveling Minstrel Shows, where white performers would blacken their faces with burnt cork or greasepaint.

exstatic
06-07-2006, 09:27 PM
It's easy for a record company to go out and buy CDs of one of their artists to inflate sales numbers.

Not so easy for them to go buy 10,000 concert tickets and fill up those seats with imaginary people.
If their record company were that interested in their success, they would have bought them some radio airtime. They got almost zero.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Uncle Jessie would not approve.

But at least he would be rich... selling his Shine for E85 mixing :)

PM5K
06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't really mind if they speak their mind about anything, including social or political issues, but when they do things like that simply to get their names in the paper and to sell albums, well I think that's fucking lame...

NameDropper
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately for the Chicks, the bulk of a band's income most likey comes from touring instead of CD sales.

That is not always the case since the cost of a tour is very high and not every tour is a money maker and are used to increase CD sales.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
They should start off a big concert..

NO AID or HATERS TOUR 2006...

.... with Bruce "the boss"

Rolling stones Sweet Neocon (where did that song go and why didn't they sing it on tour??)

etc

cecil collins
06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
A bunch of fucking assholes hate the Dixie chicks. Yet fucking retard hillbilly toby keith can yap his incest hole all day about loving the patriot act and he's great.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Red glow on your sherpa... Dark side of the force = dixie chick fan.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
A bunch of fucking assholes hate the Dixie chicks. Yet fucking retard hillbilly toby keith can yap his incest hole all day about loving the patriot act and he's great.

this quote is sigworthy

someone sig it

sig it i saiidd

DavidWooderson
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Fortunately for the Dixie Chicks they spent the first 8 years of their careers selling out huge stadiums. Fortunately for the Dixie Chicks they are each worth more than 10 million dollars.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Ted Nugent interview

Jeb: I have been on your board several times. You work hard and you believe in what you are doing with TNUSA and then you get someone like the Dixie Chicks…

Ted: Let me tell you what has happened with the Dixie Chicks… First of all, I salute them. They are not only amazingly talented, they have a wonderful work ethic and they make wonderful music. Plus, they are fine ass women! I also salute them for standing up for what they believe in. Unfortunately, most of your celebrities are insulated. They literally create a wall of comfort around them.

This morning Uncle Ted got up with my sons Toby and Rocco…. We shoveled the dog kennels. I shoveled the crap out of the horse stalls. We do this everyday. We carry hay and straw and bring water and feed to our livestock and then we go out and cut wood. We plant trees this time of year. In other words, I am a hand’s on guy. I am a rugged individual. I don’t have ‘yes’ men around me. I don’t have people catering to me. I don’t have people servicing me. I stand up for myself and I do my own jobs. I change my own oil and I kill my own food. I gut it, I butcher it and I cook it. I take care of my own life.

The Dixie Chicks are insulated. They are prima donnas. They wouldn’t know the truth if it smacked them right between the eyes. So I would like to offer them the truth: If you do not kill evil under the terms of righteous, freedom loving people like American’s then we will have to face evil in America on the evil’s terms. That is unacceptable. So Dixie Chicks, I just recommend you shut up and sing and let the warriors take care of your freedom. You love to deny the truth and live in an insulated world of fantasy and then criticize the very system by which you can live free and brave. Suck me!

Jeb: I love talking to you, man.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviews03/TedNugent2003.htm

T Park
06-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Ted Nugent is the fuckin man.

A bunch of fucking assholes hate the Dixie chicks

So thats about what 75% of America?

:lol looove being in the minority sunshine?

Yet fucking retard hillbilly toby keith can yap his incest hole all day about loving the patriot act and he's great.

incest hole?

Hmmm feeling holier than though?

BTW, link to the song that says that he "loves" the patriot act?

T Park
06-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I don't really mind if they speak their mind about anything, including social or political issues, but when they do things like that simply to get their names in the paper and to sell albums, well I think that's fucking lame...

I love also the "We dont want those fans of Reba and others"

Who the fuck was it that made you popular?

I just LOVE IT when these chicks open their pie holes, cause they keep DIGGIN.

BTW,

I agree with speaking your mind, but, also, uhhhh if your gonna rip your president, have the fuckin gonads to do it in your own country, instead of freakin England.

Chickenshits.

scott
06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Everytime I start to regain respect for T Park he reminds of what a twat he is.

I never have that problem with AHF though... it is easy to remember that he's a twat.

SPARKY
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Not exactly that familiar with their music but I would expect that ripping a GOP president at this moment in history would be a net negative for any country act. Maybe they were going for the progressive country angle ala Willie, but that seems like a commercial loser. It is still a free country, right T Park?

T Park
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
It is still a free country, right T Park?

When did I say it wasn't?

Everytime I start to regain respect for T Park he reminds of what a twat he is.

go fuck yourself.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
No one here is saying they should not have the right to say whatever. Because of the good graces of the forum gods we can take them on...

If they can dish it out they should be able to take it...

Melmart1
06-07-2006, 10:19 PM

:lol looove being in the minority sunshine?

75% of Americans hate the Dixie Chicks? link?

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Reeel Classey Scoot.

Vashner
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
More power to them...

Let them try that in China, North Korea, Iran (where even basic rock & roll is banned), or old Saddam..

They would be either beaten to near death or killed...

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
That one chick is fucking stupid for her comments, you'd think she'd be smart enough not to insult her key demographic to appease the fucking Brits. The only good thing about this was the repeated nude magazine covers.

scott
06-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Reeel Classey Scoot.

Goe fock yerselv

T Park
06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
The two poker know it alls getting together now I see.

No sucker games to play tonight mr rounders?

SPARKY
06-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey, maybe they believe that. I'm not sure where the assumption began that all country music performers must support Republicans. It's weird. How did we get from Willie, Waylon, and Johnny to pussy ass performers afraid to speak their mind and marching in lockstep with the mainstream?

scott
06-07-2006, 10:44 PM
The two poker know it alls getting together now I see.

No sucker games to play tonight mr rounders?

Nah, I'm playing online in a 15-30 right now. I'm up 28 grand in an hour but this is my first time playing in forever. Is this normal?

Vashner
06-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Well because back in the day it was not that they "support republicans"... it's supporting America.

Democrats and most of the media are currently aligned with and or aiding Al Queda.. so that kinda just leaves repugs holding the M16 at the moment. Democrats in the past would of kicked ass.. I mean.. a democrat is the one that used 2 nukes.. not a repug.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Nah, I'm playing online in a 15-30 right now. I'm up 28 grand in an hour but this is my first time playing in forever. Is this normal?
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

No way, I won 38 grand in 2 hours playing 20/40 after I deposited 200 bucks. Can I do this as a second income?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 11:00 PM
That one chick is fucking stupid for her comments, you'd think she'd be smart enough not to insult her key demographic to appease the fucking Brits. The only good thing about this was the repeated nude magazine covers.

links plz

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
I never have that problem with AHF though... it is easy to remember that he's a twat.

Because nothing says 'twat' like hating on a bunch of whiny cunts like the Dixie Chunks. What's pathetic about this whole album they just launched is they realized they burned their bridge with their former fan base, so now they're going for all the leftist fags like you, scott.

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
links plz

It's not full nude, i think the most you get is asscrack

Trainwreck2100
06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39133000/jpg/_39133269_dixiesap2.jpg

LMAO at Dixie sluts, they are sluts

scott
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Because nothing says 'twat' like hating on a bunch of whiny cunts like the Dixie Chunks. What's pathetic about this whole album they just launched is they realized they burned their bridge with their former fan base, so now they're going for all the leftist fags like you, scott.

Are you sure about that, or are we going to find out that you were wrong again in a few days?

You haved never answered my frequent question... are you ever right about anything? Damion Jones, gasoline price gouging, police shooting people on buses... the list of AHF misses is extensive.

You're a giant asshat, and that's okay.

MannyIsGod
06-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah, but you're a lefist fag.

Man, the list of people being owned by Scott in this thread keeps growing. Who's next?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39133000/jpg/_39133269_dixiesap2.jpg

LMAO at Dixie sluts, they are sluts

mmm the former preggo looks somewhat okay in that pic

SPARKY
06-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Well because back in the day it was not that they "support republicans"... it's supporting America.

Democrats and most of the media are currently aligned with and or aiding Al Queda.. so that kinda just leaves repugs holding the M16 at the moment. Democrats in the past would of kicked ass.. I mean.. a democrat is the one that used 2 nukes.. not a repug.

Between Johnny, Willie and Waylon which drug did they not abuse? I think hardly any of them lived anything approaching a lifestyle acceptable to the fundamentalist wing of the GOP.

So supporting Republicans is supporting America? How about supporting the "working man"? That's the shit most of those old country artists sang about. The working man going to work everyday and getting shit on by his Republican boss and then going home and having to pay his Republican banker before the asshole took his house. It's not like there weren't any leftward movements going on when those guys were at the top of their fame. Willie clearly broke from that. Johnny Cash sang about prison life a lot and went to a lot of them. How many of the WWJ&GWD? crowd are down with that? Shit, dig up Cocaine Blues and listen to it. I feel an estate tax repeal coming on.

As much as the America First crowd likes to dump on "Hollywood" for blindly supporting the left in this country it seems odd that they would expect the same from performers of a certain musical genre.

Melmart1
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM

I swear, every Republican, Conservative or Neocon I run into uses this phrase. When things aren't going their way or particularly when they are losing an argument, out comes the fag card. Like being called a homosexual when you aren't is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you.

Makes me wonder why that word is on their mind so much.

Trainwreck2100
06-08-2006, 12:55 AM
mmm the former preggo looks somewhat okay in that pic
That one in the middle is ugly as fuck

NameDropper
06-08-2006, 07:56 AM
No one here is saying they should not have the right to say whatever. Because of the good graces of the forum gods we can take them on...

If they can dish it out they should be able to take it...

And they've taken it to No.1!! :lol

exstatic
06-08-2006, 07:56 AM

looove being in the minority sunshine?
Considering that they ripped Bush, and his current numbers, I'd say you have that just about backwards, "sunshine"...

SpursWoman
06-08-2006, 08:10 AM
I swear, every Republican, Conservative or Neocon I run into uses this phrase. When things aren't going their way or particularly when they are losing an argument, out comes the fag card. Like being called a homosexual when you aren't is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you.

Makes me wonder why that word is on their mind so much.

I don't.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Damion Jones, gasoline price gouging, police shooting people on buses.

Shooting people on buses? WTF? Because I was wrong on DJ, that makes me a twat? :lol He was going to go to A&M but Rick Barnes promised him a starting spot (which isn't hard when 5 of your top 7 players leave), the guy wants to play one year and go pro. Texas is a better place for that one.

Price gouging? Sorry, don't even remember the conversation.

When things aren't going their way or particularly when they are losing an argument, out comes the fag card.

Sorry Mel, any guy who likes the Dixie Chunks has to be gay. *shrugs* I guess it's okay for dems to throw around terms like twat, shrub, dickhead, asshole, asshat, etc., but the moment one of us evil Republicans calls someone a fag, we're the name callers :lol

Typical hypocrisy from the left, but what's new?

CharlieMac
06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, real patriotism is speaking out against the war and Bush. When there is money to be made off of a book or cd.

I don't give a shit about Keith or those Chicks. I really just came in here to mock people who say, "Real patriotism is blah-blah-blah" or, "This is my country too!!!!!" for absolutely no reason.

Extra Stout
06-08-2006, 08:28 AM
So, reading the story, DixChix ticket sales suck in Memphis, Okla City, Houston, and Indy, but are strong in Phila., Toronto, and London.

So basically they just need to stick to left-leaning and foreign markets because they are persona non grata in the red states.

What exactly did they expect? It's not the crack on Bush by itself that got them in trouble so much as the continued remarks about country music's core demographic as being a bunch of wife-beating inbreds.

"Hey, we hate you people, everything you stand for, and your entire way of life! Come buy tickets to our concert!"

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
this quote is sigworthy

someone sig it

sig it i saiidd

done. :spin

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey, maybe they believe that. I'm not sure where the assumption began that all country music performers must support Republicans. It's weird. How did we get from Willie, Waylon, and Johnny to pussy ass performers afraid to speak their mind and marching in lockstep with the mainstream?

Amen.
it really does seem as tho the country scene is all stock hard core conservatives and if you say anythign thats not printed inthe party hand book you will be ex-communicated and burned at the stake for your love affair with satan.

sad.

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 09:20 AM
If everyone could be like Toby Keith, the world would be a better place.

IX_Equilibrium
06-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Amen.
it really does seem as tho the country scene is all stock hard core conservatives and if you say anythign thats not printed inthe party hand book you will be ex-communicated and burned at the stake for your love affair with satan.

sad.

Correct

beachbarbie948
06-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I love also the "We dont want those fans of Reba and others"

Who the fuck was it that made you popular?

I just LOVE IT when these chicks open their pie holes, cause they keep DIGGIN.

BTW,

I agree with speaking your mind, but, also, uhhhh if your gonna rip your president, have the fuckin gonads to do it in your own country, instead of freakin England.

Chickenshits.

I totally agreee.

dougp
06-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Amen.

sad.You know, there are quite a few more liberal country singers ... and Toby Keith really wasn't very active until he was called out by the bullshit media. Quite frankly, I don't give a shit what a singer thinks about politics, they're supposed to entertain me. If I'm at a concert and you spew political bullshit, I will be pissed ... I'm there to hear music and have a good time, not have you tell me why the world is piss poor. Remember, System of a Down did that in San Antonio and badmouthed the Army and got boo'd off stage. One of my most liberal friends was there, and said that he was completly ashamed of it and was glad they got boo'd off.

Spurminator
06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
What's depressing to me, as a fan of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash and even Rage Against the Machine, is that the Dixie Chicks have now become the figureheads of antiestablishment music in this country.

I guess when the Country Music airwaves have been muddled with trite garbage for so many years, anything that stands out as nonconformist is seen as a courageous undertaking (or outright treason, depending on which extreme point of view you hold).

Spurminator
06-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Also, remember that (unless something has changed that I'm not aware of) Album Sales are tracked by how many copies are purchased by retailers, not necessarily consumers. So an album being number 1 just means that the stores are stocking their shelves with it, not necessarily that people are buying it.

The album is alright as a whole, but the song getting all the attention ("Not Ready to Make Nice") is probably the worst song on the album. It should be called "Not Ready to Write Protest Songs." It's a stinker. So while Country Music stations may have other reasons for keeping it off the airwaves, it probably wouldn't be good enough for airplay anyway if it were written by an unestablished wannabe.

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 09:58 AM
What's depressing to me, as a fan of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash and even Rage Against the Machine, is that the Dixie Chicks have now become the figureheads of antiestablishment music in this country.

I guess when the Country Music airwaves have been muddled with trite garbage for so many years, anything that stands out as nonconformist is seen as a courageous undertaking (or outright treason, depending on which extreme point of view you hold).

The weird thing is that those who are most vocal against the Chicks likely worship Johnny Cash.

I agree with the need for a better 'figurehead'.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM

excellent point.
Country Music has been languishing in good enough for years, not motivated to do any better.
the 1st songthat really pissed me off was the mrs steven rudy bullshit. WTF was that? "that wedding rings as ugly as your husband is to you"?? huh??
buti t only got worse after 9/11 with about 50 remakes of god bless america and every country musician on earth battling to be the most patriotic with thier uber patritic song proclaiming thier ultimate patriotism.

sadly, even that couldn;t bring any new substance to country music.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 10:01 AM
forthe record - I lovethe Dixie Chicks and I could giove 2 shits about thier politcal agenda.
I like good music.
period.

I didn't agree with Madonna bing a big fat sex whore - but I bought all her shit too. Why? I like the music.

Spurminator
06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't mind the Dixie Chicks, and I still listen to their previous album pretty regularly... I just think they're out of their league in all of this...

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't mind the Dixie Chicks, and I still listen to their previous album pretty regularly... I just think they're out of their league in all of this...

most likely.

easjer
06-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Amen.

sad.

Given the large amount of country superstars that are on record as being Democrats, or in favor of more liberal legislation, I have to respectfully disagree. I'll cite Toby Keith (Democrat), Tim McGraw and Fatih Hill (Democrats and unapologetically Bush-'bashers') among others. And people still listen to them and buy their music and attend their concerts.

The reality is that there is multitude of aspects to country - the redneck/hillbilly crowd, the blue collar crowd, the rowdy cowboys, and the rest - middle America that feels more defined (or easier to relate to) Country music than any other genre (folks like me).

I am conservative, and I typically vote Republican. I was NOT outraged by the Dixie Chicks comments right at the beginning of the war in Iraq, though I was annoyed, my feeling was 'free speech'. What they said wasn't even that bad - that they didn't like that the president was from Texas. Big fucking deal. But their attitudes after that, when they realized that they had offended a large portion of their core fan base pissed me off. I am sure they were hurt by the reaction they received. But to be as rude as they subsequently were to that fan base and persist in trying to maintain their point is career suicide, imo, which makes them stupid, imo.

I like their old music, and still occasionally listen to it, hell, even danced to it at my wedding (father/daughter dance was the Dixie Chicks version of 'Landslide'), but meh. Totally meh. I'm not interested in them anymore.

But let's be honest here, they've been hurt by the lack of air time on the radio - the biggest country radio stations do not play them. But it's a little more than simply a gut reaction to the 'left wing nutjobs.'

jcrod
06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't listen to Country much, so I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks. But I believe they've been given worst treatment of all celebs who have bashed Bush. There was an article in Time Mag on them, which talked about their back lash. They named several music stars who have done the same, but haven't affected their fan base, Bruce Springstein comes to mind.

Wonder why, maybe because they're girls???? Where the majority of their listeners are Republic White America???

pache100
06-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Given the large amount of country superstars that are on record as being Democrats, or in favor of more liberal legislation, I have to respectfully disagree. I'll cite Toby Keith (Democrat), Tim McGraw and Fatih Hill (Democrats and unapologetically Bush-'bashers') among others. And people still listen to them and buy their music and attend their concerts.

The reality is that there is multitude of aspects to country - the redneck/hillbilly crowd, the blue collar crowd, the rowdy cowboys, and the rest - middle America that feels more defined (or easier to relate to) Country music than any other genre (folks like me).

I am conservative, and I typically vote Republican. I was NOT outraged by the Dixie Chicks comments right at the beginning of the war in Iraq, though I was annoyed, my feeling was 'free speech'. What they said wasn't even that bad - that they didn't like that the president was from Texas. Big fucking deal. But their attitudes after that, when they realized that they had offended a large portion of their core fan base pissed me off. I am sure they were hurt by the reaction they received. But to be as rude as they subsequently were to that fan base and persist in trying to maintain their point is career suicide, imo, which makes them stupid, imo.

I like their old music, and still occasionally listen to it, hell, even danced to it at my wedding (father/daughter dance was the Dixie Chicks version of 'Landslide'), but meh. Totally meh. I'm not interested in them anymore.

But let's be honest here, they've been hurt by the lack of air time on the radio - the biggest country radio stations do not play them. But it's a little more than simply a gut reaction to the 'left wing nutjobs.'

I am a liberal Democrat to the bone (and proud of it). If Toby Keith is a Democrat, he's one of the most conservative ones I have ever seen. And, he has performed for countless Republican rallies and fund-raisers and publicly endorsed Republican candidates for various offices, nationally and in Oklahoma. I know that his first pro-war song is not about the war in Iraq, but about the war in Afghanistan (which I also supported as the true "war on terrorism", BTW). Having said all that...I don't have a problem with him expressing his views, whatever they are. I don't think he should have publicly attacked the Dixie Chicks, but that's just me...and he was exercising his freedom of speech, just like the Chicks were. But, I like Toby, and I don't let people's political views interfere with my enjoyment of their artistic talents when I like what they do, no matter who they are. I still buy Toby's CDs.

I support the Dixie Chicks and their point of view and their right to express and exercise it, too. I had never bought a Dixie Chicks CD before their brou-ha-ha about Bush (which I agree with, whole-heartedly, BTW). The day that story broke, I went to Walmart and bought every Chicks CD they had. I've bought three more since then. I'll continue to buy them, and they'll go into my CD file right along with Toby. The only thing that disappointed me about the Chicks was when they started back-pedaling on their stand/remarks. I would have liked it better if they'd stood firm. But, whatever. I switched radio stations because the station I listened to stopped playing their music in protest...it was my own little protest agains their (radio station's) stupidity. When they made a statement about not taking public sides in politics and started playing the Dixie Chicks again, I went back.

BTW, the Dixie Chicks concerts in Toronto and Philadelphia are already sold out, so I heard on that same radio station this morning. They seem to think it's a "red state/blue state" thing. Maybe. I think it's an ignorance thing.

cecil collins
06-08-2006, 12:32 PM

I call bullshit. Is he a Zell Miller democrat?

pache100
06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I call bullshit. Is he a Zell Miller democrat?

Take, for example, Toby Keith. "Keith may sell four million albums at a pop these days and regularly enjoys number-one country hits, but he'll be the first to bring up how he's pretty much the Susan Lucci of the CMAs, country's most prestigious awards show," Chris writes. The reason: Keith is a Democrat. Granted, he croons patriotic songs like "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue" and once crowed to Chris proudly, "I dig being a flag-waving nedneck," but it seems apparent that, until he disavows the political affiliation he inherited from his poppa and he quits singing lustily about beer-swilling philandering, he won't win the CMA Entertainer of the Year Award.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2006/05/toby_keith_dixi.html#more

Observation: He doesn't act like any Democrat I know...ha-ands do-own.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Remember, System of a Down did that in San Antonio and badmouthed the Army and got boo'd off stage. One of my most liberal friends was there, and said that he was completly ashamed of it and was glad they got boo'd off.

Hadn't heard that, that's disappointing, I like SOAD.

Look, the bottom line for me in all this is that if you're an entertainer, be it a musician or a Hollywood star, just shut up and fucking entertain people. That's what you're getting paid to do.

When you start using your stardom as a platform to try and project your political beliefs on others, you're playing with fire, and the Dixie Chunks got burned.

I suspect a large majority of the 'backlash' goes to the fact that

1. They talked shit about this country's president in the immediacy of 9/11, and did so on foreign soil

2. When they got called out on it, they basically talked down to everyone like they knew something everyone else did it.

99% of these musicians and Hollywood types at the most graduated HS, and haven't really ever dealt with the real world, just having everything handed to them on a silver platter.

When you grow up that way, IMO, your views don't really jive with the rest of reality and what joe blow American sees, experiences, and deals with on a day to day basis.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Toby Keith is a democrat? Man, Now I know there's no fucking difference between the parties. If Toby Keith is a democrat, then we're fucked. Well, to be honest I think we're fucked anyways.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2006, 12:56 PM
And MB is right. Since when did the fucking Dixie Chicks become icons of protest? Weak.

MannyIsGod
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
BTW, if the Dixie Chicks got burned, its only because their music sucks. The general mainstream public couldn't care less what artists do. Sure, it gives the pundits something to talk about and maybe a group here or there will burn some CDs, but for the most part you can do whatever and it won't hurt you. America is fucking stupid.

SpursWoman
06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
BTW, if the Dixie Chicks got burned, its only because their music sucks.

:tu :lol

Duff McCartney
06-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Look, the bottom line for me in all this is that if you're an entertainer, be it a musician or a Hollywood star, just shut up and fucking entertain people. That's what you're getting paid to do.

When you start using your stardom as a platform to try and project your political beliefs on others, you're playing with fire, and the Dixie Chunks got burned.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me..if you can reach such a wide audience of people you are obligated to do it. Otherwise what good is it for?

It's not just hollywood or musicians that use their stardom as a platform...rich companies use their money to have the politics of congress the way they want them.

Tax breaks, etc....

Duff McCartney
06-08-2006, 01:05 PM
P.S. Country music sucks...all it does is take precious air space away from shock DJ's whose cruelty and profanity amuse us all.

SpursWoman
06-08-2006, 01:08 PM
You've gotta be fucking kidding me..if you can reach such a wide audience of people you are obligated to do it. Otherwise what good is it for?

I don't even know where to start with that. :lmao

pache100
06-08-2006, 01:09 PM
P.S. Country music sucks...all it does is take precious air space away from shock DJ's whose cruelty and profanity amuse us all.

They don't amuse me, but I respect your right to listen to whatever type of music you choose without insulting you about it or insulting the type of music you like. It's too bad everyone can't do that.

JoeChalupa
06-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I like their music myself and most democrats that I know are just like Toby Keith. How do ya like me now!?

scott
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Shooting people on buses? WTF? Because I was wrong on DJ, that makes me a twat? :lol He was going to go to A&M but Rick Barnes promised him a starting spot (which isn't hard when 5 of your top 7 players leave), the guy wants to play one year and go pro. Texas is a better place for that one.

Price gouging? Sorry, don't even remember the conversation.

If I had a resume of misses as long as yours, I'd try to forget too.

Sorry Mel, any guy who likes the Dixie Chunks has to be gay. *shrugs* I guess it's okay for dems to throw around terms like twat, shrub, dickhead, asshole, asshat, etc., but the moment one of us evil Republicans calls someone a fag, we're the name callers :lol

Typical hypocrisy from the left, but what's new?

I don't like the Dixie Chicks, but it is interesting to learn that any guy who likes them must prefer sex with other men.

Since you think I'm on the left, and most forum leftists thing I'm on the right... it must mean I'm in the right place.

JoeChalupa
06-08-2006, 05:47 PM
"If lovin' you is wrong, I don't wanna be right."

Musicians have been using their talent to express their views since the beginning of time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2006, 06:31 PM

It's not just hollywood or musicians that use their stardom as a platform...rich companies use their money to have the politics of congress the way they want them.

Tax breaks, etc....

I hate lobbying as much as the next person, but do you really think that spoiled Hollywood and Nashville prima donnas who grew up on a silver spoon are in any way equatable to successful multi-national, multi-billion dollar companies?

T Park
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
buti t only got worse after 9/11 with about 50 remakes of god bless america and every country musician on earth battling to be the most patriotic with thier uber patritic song proclaiming thier ultimate patriotism

oh god, that patriotism, and love of our country, ewwww HOW HORRIBLE!!!!

:lol

how pathetic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-08-2006, 11:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Right? The same people who are bashing musicians for patriotic are calling out anyone who makes fun of the Dixie Chunks, Michael Moore, etc.

Liberal Playbook 101: be a hypocrite.

GoldToe
06-08-2006, 11:25 PM
The Boss knows

Extra Stout
06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
^^^^^^^^^

Right? The same people who are bashing musicians for patriotic are calling out anyone who makes fun of the Dixie Chunks, Michael Moore, etc.

Liberal Playbook 101: be a hypocrite.
Patriotism is bad. It's better to acquiesce to your enemies.

Oops, gotta go. It's prayer time. Where's my rug?

Extra Stout
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Seriously, though, some of that over-the-top-yay-America country stuff that came out was so bad it made Bob Carlisle nauseous.

leemajors
06-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Between Johnny, Willie and Waylon which drug did they not abuse? I think hardly any of them lived anything approaching a lifestyle acceptable to the fundamentalist wing of the GOP.

So supporting Republicans is supporting America? How about supporting the "working man"? That's the shit most of those old country artists sang about. The working man going to work everyday and getting shit on by his Republican boss and then going home and having to pay his Republican banker before the asshole took his house. It's not like there weren't any leftward movements going on when those guys were at the top of their fame. Willie clearly broke from that. Johnny Cash sang about prison life a lot and went to a lot of them. How many of the WWJ&GWD? crowd are down with that? Shit, dig up Cocaine Blues and listen to it. I feel an estate tax repeal coming on.

As much as the America First crowd likes to dump on "Hollywood" for blindly supporting the left in this country it seems odd that they would expect the same from performers of a certain musical genre.

you forgot about Rush. it takes a canadian band to write about the working man!

Taco
06-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I Love this thread!!

It gives me another reason to say Chixie Dicks!!!!