PDA

View Full Version : Herrmann Interview

Kori Ellis
06-08-2006, 12:24 PM
08/06/2006
ARG - Looking forward is Herrmann's motto

MALAGA (FIBA World Championship) - Walter Herrmann has been riding an emotional rollercoaster in recent years.

He had enjoyed plenty of success on the court but that has been overshadowed by personal tragedy.

Tempted to quit the game after losing the three most important women in his life in a car accident in July 2003, the 26-year-old forward decided to push himself and kept on living through basketball.

In an exclusive interview with PA Sport’s Cindy Garcia-Bennett on behalf of FIBA, the 2004 Olympic Champion with Argentina talks about the new challenges in his career, overcoming the deepest grief and learning to look to the future with optimism.

FIBA: Congratulations Walter, on playing in your first FIBA World Championship in Japan later this year after being included in Argentina's 12-man provisional squad. What are your thoughts looking forward to the tournament?

Herrmann: It's a great satisfaction to represent your country, I think it's a dream come true for any player. Sometimes you don't value it as much when you are actually involved in a tournament but as time goes by, the significance of what you achieve hits you. As a player you know the sacrifices you have done, the hard work you put in throughout the year so it gives me a lot of joy to be a part of the national team again. It's going to be difficult to earn a starting place in the team in Japan because every player has proved in their respective teams and competitions their worth. I know that everyone will have to work hard in training in order to earn a place in the team.

FIBA: You were a member of the Argentina side that won gold in Athens. How has your life changed since becoming an Olympic champion?

Herrmann: That was the most beautiful experience of my career. It is the maximum that a sportsman can aspire to and when the final game ended, I was overcome with joy. That medal has a lot of value to me and right now it's in a security box in a bank in Spain. They are keeping it safe for me! Last year when I went back to Argentina, many of my friends wanted to see it but I didn't think it was safe to take it home.

FIBA: Two years on from that success in Athens, how confident are you going into the tournament in Japan?

Herrmann: Winning in Athens gave me a big boost in confidence. Experience definitely gives you more self-belief. I still know that I have to work hard every day because there are many talented youngsters that can take your place and I have to keep on working regardless of the titles I have achieved.

FIBA: Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez has included eight players from the gold-medal winning Olympic team in Athens in his pre-selection squad. How will Argentina build on that experience in Japan?

Herrmann: I think we have a lot of options in Japan. Of course, in such a difficult competition as the World Championship is, it's difficult to choose a favourite side. it really boils down to the team that is in the best form at the tournament and not necessarily the team that has the best players.

FIBA: Is Team USA the team to beat in Japan and do you think they will be better prepared for the tournament following their disappointment in Athens where you beat them in the semi-final and they finished third?

Herrmann: I think Team USA has changed it's mentality in recent years. Before, they could send any team to an international tournament and win it. Nowadays, it's very different. World basketball has gone from strength to strength and they will face opposition in Japan.

FIBA: Argentina will face a battle right from the start as they are in Group A of August's event in Japan, alongside reigning champions Serbia & Montenegro, France, Nigeria, Venezuela and Lebanon. Serbia & Montenegro, in fact, beat Argentina in overtime at the FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis four years ago.

Herrmann: "We know the challenge it's going to be for us to progress to the second round because we know that even any team, regardless of their name and history, will be complicated. Players have an added incentive to play above their best level when they are representing their country in such a prestigious tournament. Therefore, no game will be easy."

FIBA: Your countryman, Tau Ceramica point guard Pablo Prigioni, has also been included in the pre-selection squad but is doubtful for the tournament with a viral infection. Prigioni was included in the ACB ideal side in the regular season. How important is Prigioni for Argentina?

Herrmann: We know Pablo's quality. I hope that his current illness will not affect him and that he will be able to play with us in Japan. He has had a great season for Tau but (laughing) I prefer him to recover for the national team and not for the ACB play-offs. Tau are very difficult rivals! (Both Tau and Unicaja held 2-0 leads in their respective play-off semi-finals at the time this interview was published).

FIBA: You have enjoyed your best campaign with Unicaja this season, averaging 12 points and four rebounds per game in the ACB. Are you satisfied with your performances?

Herrmann: I feel very comfortable with my game and I also feel well physically. I think the fact that we were given a break from the national team last summer has helped all the players. I am still polishing certain defects and I can still improve on many things but I am confident about my game. I think little by little, I have improved a lot on my defensive play and I feel more solid in defence.

FIBA: One aspect of your game which has improved has been your perimeter shooting. You were the fifth best three-point shooter in the regular season and with the play-off games included, you are hitting 40% from the arc.

Herrmann: This year I feel more confident with my outside shot than in previous years. If you work, you are bound to improve.

FIBA: Unicaja have taken a 2-0 lead in their ACB play-off semi-final against DKV Joventut. Having won the Copa del Rey last season, and having finished top of the regular season standings this year, has the time come for Unicaja Malaga to be crowned Spanish champions?

Herrmann: We are focused on winnning the semi-finals for the time being. There's a lot of expectation, more than in previous campaigns, and we have the ambition to reach the final. It's very difficult because we face a complicated rival. Joventut started the league irregularly but they have played a great second round, not only in the Spanish competition but also in the FIBA EuroCup. We expect a difficult challenge but we are prepared for everything that comes along.

FIBA: This summer you will become a free agent with your contract with Unicaja Malaga ending later this month. Have you decided what you want to do next?

Herrmann: It's true, for the first time in my career I will be out of contract with my club. I will evaluate what my options are after the end of the season.

FIBA: Argentinians like Manu Ginobili and Andres Nocioni have been big hits in the NBA with San Antonio and Chicago, respectively. It was interesting, Walter, that at the Olympics in the semi-final against the USA, you had a terrific game with 11 points in just 14 minutes. Are you going to follow in the footsteps of Manu and Andres?

Herrmann: I would love to go to the NBA. One always has the dream of playing in the strongest league in the world and if that opportunity comes along, I will take it. But I don't lose any sleep over it. The Spanish league has nothing to envy with respect to the United States, the organisation here is fantastic and we play at a very high level.

FIBA: You joined ACB side Fuenlabrada in 2002. How hard was it to adapt to the Spanish competition and to life in Spain?

Herrmann: At the beginning, it was hard to leave my family, friends. We are similar countries but there are still differences in terms of lifestyle. This is my fourth year in Spain and one adapts to everything. The treatment I have received in the past four years has been wonderful and that makes my life more comfortable here.

FIBA: You were the rookie of the year in the Argentinian league in the 1998-99 campaign, which earned you a place in the national team at the PanAmerican Games in 1999. You were voted most valuable player in Argentina's domestic league in the 2000-01 season. What made you decide to cross the Atlantic, leave your country and play in Spain?

Herrmann: Spanish basketball is very competitive, whether your rivals are the top team or the bottom team in the league, they can still beat you. Every game is complicated and that's the challenge, in this league you are competing against the best players in the world.

FIBA: In a nation that is known for their passion for football, why did you decide to play basketball?

Herrmann: I started to play basketball at the age of six, driven by my grandfather, who loved the sport. I was also tall as a child so that helped. Although most of my friends played football, I grew to like basketball and luckily, I kept it up.

FIBA: Which players did you look up to when growing up and which player do you admire most now?

Herrmann: I grew up watching Michael Jordan but I really admire Dirk Nowitzki. He is a complete player in every sense and it's great to watch him play.

FIBA: Walter, you have experienced a lot of tragedy in your life. In 2003, you lost your mother, your sister and your fiancee in a car accident in Argentina and exactly one year later, your father passed away. How do you cope with such grief?

Herrmann: One always looks ahead, thanks to the support of family and friends. It depends on the person, some people struggle more than others. Things have certainly changed, I don't believe in anything anymore. Faith is the first thing you lose because you think back at all the things you did as a child, such as go to church, be baptised, do your communion, and you realise it hasn't served for anything. The number one person that has helped me to carry on has been my sister. We've gone through the same thing and we've helped each other out (Herrmann’s sister moved to Spain after the accident). Little by little, we have recovered our strength and continue living. We've managed to overcome that low point together. I try to think about the future and what's next and not look back because if you do that, you are lost.

FIBA: How difficult was to get back on a court?

Herrmann: When the accident happened, I really considered leaving basketball. It seemed stupid to carry on because I played for my family and after the accident, I had no motivation whatsoever. I admit I still find it difficult today to find that extra incentive that I had when I played prior to the accident. I see things different now, I assume things as they are. Basketball helps me not to think about those things. It is a demanding sport, you train a lot, you travel a lot and you play many games, it's a distraction.

FIBA: Good luck with the rest of the season and we look forward to seeing you in Japan.

PA Sport
Exclusively for FIBA

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/interview_article.asp?r_act_news=12870

Trainwreck2100
06-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Fiba sucks

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Sign him up.

ace3g
06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I wouldnt mind the spurs looking at herrmann, he is a very Aggressive SF who drives to the basket alot, and by the looks of it, his 3 point shot is getting better

intlspurshk
06-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I like him more than Oberto and he is more physical.

ace3g
06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Started out as strictly a post player, he's capable inside the paint. But he also added some perimeter skills to his game in recent years. Has the size to play the 3 in the NBA. He's actually quite a good shooter, the leading scorer in the entire Spanish league averaging 49% from the field as well as 45% from three-point range. He shows good athleticsm, he can take his man off the dribble in one-on-one situations. He's a warrior on the court, and the team's leading rebounder despite playing primarily on the wing. He's averaging nearly a double-double (has 20ppg and 9.6rpg right now). A great leaper and slasher, likes to dunk and make spectacular passes.

Link (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/walterherrmann.asp)

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2006, 02:34 PM
He's kind of like a Nocioni-type player.

Walter has some nice ups for a white boy too, that dude can dunk.

angel_luv
06-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I remember Herrmann and his story from the last summer olympics. I was so happy that he won a medal with the Argentina team. He sounds like a really nice guy.

Solid D
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Fabio South.

Solid D
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.freeplayers.com/sportalents/walterherrmann.jpg http://deseretnews.com/photos/1910847.jpg

CubanMustGo
06-08-2006, 03:02 PM
But can he shoot free throws??

whottt
06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't even remember him making it off the bench during the 04 Olympics.
I know he was devastated with personal tragedies...but I've never seen him play that I can think of, and I don't remember him making many on court contributions to Argentina's win.

diego
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
are you kidding? it seemed mostly lucky to me but he killed the US in the 3rd, like the article said 11pts in 14 min! he was huge for us

Mr. Body
06-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I know he was devastated with personal tragedies...but I've never seen him play that I can think of, and I don't remember him making many on court contributions to Argentina's win.

Did you watch at all? He was a major factor at times.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2006, 03:53 PM
seriously, did you watch the game vs. USA?

angel_luv
06-08-2006, 03:59 PM
I remember that he played on several different occasions because that is when the announcers would talk about his story.

Horry For 3!
06-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I was askin about Herrmann a week ago

Solid D
06-08-2006, 04:30 PM
are you kidding? it seemed mostly lucky to me but he killed the US in the 3rd, like the article said 11pts in 14 min! he was huge for us

I'd have to side with Whottt on this one. I seriously believe he didn't notice that Walter Herrmann was killing the US in the Olympics, including 9 points in the last 5 minutes. :lol

Buddy Holly
06-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Some dunk highlights by Walter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrV_gPbl63A&search=walter%20Herrmann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgfx6VtFHo&search=walter%20Hermann

danyel
06-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Started out as strictly a post player, he's capable inside the paint. But he also added some perimeter skills to his game in recent years. Has the size to play the 3 in the NBA. He's actually quite a good shooter, the leading scorer in the entire Spanish league averaging 49% from the field as well as 45% from three-point range. He shows good athleticsm, he can take his man off the dribble in one-on-one situations. He's a warrior on the court, and the team's leading rebounder despite playing primarily on the wing. He's averaging nearly a double-double (has 20ppg and 9.6rpg right now). A great leaper and slasher, likes to dunk and make spectacular passes.

Link (http://nbadraft.net/profiles/walterherrmann.asp)

That info is 3 or 4 years old...

He was a big factor in both beating Greece and USA in the olympics.

ducks
06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
one game against the us does not make him great

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Hmmm...athletic 3 who can score and board a little? Sold.

ShoogarBear
06-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Can he play any D, though?

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
As long as that Argentine knows not to foul a layup when you're up 3 with 20 secs left, it's all good.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Some dunk highlights by Walter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrV_gPbl63A&search=walter%20Herrmann

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgfx6VtFHo&search=walter%20Hermann
Thanks for the vids.

Did you see the dunk where he took off his jersey, shorts, and shoes and dunked??? :lol The dunk itself sucked but he got all his shit off quickly. I didn't notice he took off his shoes and shorts until I watched the highlights.

I wouldn't mind someone to back up Bowen, an athletic guy who is tough and can palm the ball and dunk over people. Either Herrmann or Nocioni would fit pretty well.

whottt
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
How many minutes did Hermann play in the Gold Medal Game?

How many of the 8 games did he even play in?

How many guys on Team Argentina played less? Less minutes, fewer games? Out of all the guys that actually saw court time that is.

Excuse me for overlooking his Olympic MVP.

I'll be back in a bit to collect the apologies...starting with Solid D....the Argentinians can line up afterwards.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2006, 08:55 PM
if he comes to our team, than SAN ANTONIO will have problems, can the city survived with 2 fabios?? can the real fabio plz stand up :D

Solid D
06-08-2006, 08:56 PM
:lol Chain sufficiently pulled.

timvp
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I was actually thinking about how the "Derrick McKey" type player Pop is looking for might be found in Europe. I've looked through the NBA free-agency lists and I don't see anything even close.

Are there any Toni Kukoc type players out there? 6-foot-9 or 6-foot-10 perimeter bigmen who can shoot, pass and just stay out of the way.

There's gotta be a couple in Europe who fit the bill.

intlspurshk
06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Did you watch at all? He was a major factor at times.

Yes, He made significant contribution in the Olympic games. He also played aggressively and seems to be the one with the greatest heart. Too bad he is inconsistent. Otherwise, I want him to play for SPURS.

whottt
06-08-2006, 09:00 PM
You guys want to pile on an act like he was Jordan...

Tearing up Team USA proves nothing, it's puts him on the level of Bacile or whoever that Italian guard was that tore us a new one...everyone in that touranment tore us up, but none as badly as the FIBA C team refs...

When I said factor I was referring to the Olympics over-all and most specifically the Gold Medal Game, which obviously I did watch, at least moreseo than anyone else in this thread...

He wasn't that big of part of their championship as anything other than symbolically, his tragedies being a rallying point for his mates. He didn't even get off the bench in half the games, including the Final.

whottt
06-08-2006, 09:02 PM
:lol Chain sufficiently pulled.

You completely fucking misspelled "I apololgize for not checking my facts more thoroughly". For a guy whose board cred is almost entirely tied up in his factually based objective type posts...I think you just played some of the most unsolid D of your posting career.

Disappointing.

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 09:10 PM
whottt, have a beer.

timvp
06-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Oh I thought Herrmann was Oberto the whole time.

whottt
06-08-2006, 09:13 PM
No, Oberto played in just about every game...till Marbury broke his hand.

smeagol
06-08-2006, 09:18 PM
whottt is back (full throttle) :lol

danyel
06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Herrmann didnt play in the gold medal game.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2004/04_moly84_box.html

He had 8 points 6 rebounds in 17 minutes against Greece. Nocioni had 7 & 5 in 18 mins.

SPARKY
06-08-2006, 09:53 PM
All them Argentinians look the same.

whottt
06-08-2006, 10:12 PM
No...if they speak Spanish they all look the same, non-white ;) And don't give me any Hermann the German shit eitherrr.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2006, 10:14 PM
right hurr?

exstatic
06-08-2006, 10:19 PM
No...if they speak Spanish they all look the same, non-white ;) And don't give me any Hermann the German shit eitherrr.
whottt, you posted some stupid shit, but this takes the cake, and that's a BIG FUCKING CAKE. Of course he's fucking German. Germans and Italians fled Europe in droves to South America after WWII, for reasons that may not bear close scrutiny.

whottt
06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
whottt, you posted some stupid shit, but this takes the cake, and that's a BIG FUCKING CAKE. Of course he's fucking German. Germans and Italians fled Europe in droves to South America after WWII, for reasons that may not bear close scrutiny.

Geezus H LMAO. Yo gotta be fucking kidding me. Pleasse tell me you are joking.

I knew you were stupid exs...but I just never really understood how stupid you truly are until just now.

exstatic
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Geezus H LMAO. Yo gotta be fucking kidding me. Pleasse tell me you are joking.

I knew you were stupid exs...but I just never really understood how stupid you truly are until just now.
What? You think Josef Mengele and Hermann Goering were the only Axis refugees to Sud Amerika? You must be fucking kidding....

Solid D
06-09-2006, 12:40 AM
http://www.allaboutar.com/culture.htm

All About AR
Argentina Travel Guide

People & Culture Guide

European influences permeate Argentina's art, architecture, literature and lifestyle. With an excellent university level education, the citizens of Argentina have quite modern and refined tastes and customs. Argentine arts and sciences have achieved international renown among many audiences. Probably the best known manifestation of Argentine popular culture is the Argentine Tango, a dance and music which has captured the hearts of romantics world-wide.

Language:
Spanish is the official language of Argentina spoken almost everywhere. But there are still some small immigrant communities that retain their native language as a badge of identity. Italian is frequently used in some neighborhoods, reflecting the influence of Argentina's single largest immigrant group . In fact, it's not hard to confuse an Argentine with an Italian, as their manner of speaking is quite similar. English, German and French also show their influence in many places of business. There are also about 17 Native American languages in Argentina, but you will have to go a good distance off the beaten path to experience any of them.
Spanish in Argentina

Cuisine
Walk into any Argentine restaurant in the world and you will get an excellent selection of grilled meat. Parilla, the Spanish word for grill, is often the word you will find in the name of restaurants in this meat-loving country. In Argentina, you can sample anything from regular steaks to parts of animals that only natives dare to eat such as livers, kidneys, and tongues.

That being said, Argentina is not a vegetarian's nightmare. Italian favorites such as gnocchi are a welcome alternative in many restaurants. Likewise, there are many French, Spanish and German restaurants that are sure to please. Also, in the last few years, vegetarian and organic restaurants have been popping up everywhere.

Solid D
06-09-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.allaboutar.com/history.htm

All About AR
The History of Argentina

The Building of an Independent Nation
Having become independent, Argentina still remained a large area of land with very few people. The next chapter of Argentine history has to do with numerous "civil wars" within Argentina. At that time the country was broken up in the major urban center of Buenos Aires ruled by fairly organized government and almost a dozen provinces that were controlled by their major land owners. This is the time when the infamous dictator Juan Manuel de Rosas came to power. After many years of oppressive rule by Rosas and by the lessons that the dictator had taught Argentina's citizens, the country was ready to unite into one cohesive unit.

In the years between 1895 and 1912 the population of the country doubled to 7.5 million. Immigration from Europe was the main cause of this growth spurt and the Argentine policy towards immigration was especially welcoming. Starting in 1826 with Bernardino Rivadavia, Argentina's first president, the country has encouraged immigrants to come by giving free passage from Europe, land and even start-up money. By 1914, four-fifth of the Argentine population was immigrant based, consisting of mostly Italian and Spanish people.

The country continues to grow and prosper without many problems until 1930 and the beginning of the world financial crisis. Until 1943 the country experienced a period of military involvement in politics and governing. The military stepped in whenever it felt the government was felt to not be patriotic enough. Fascist-Nazi sympathies ran deep in Argentina and the country did not side with the Allies until the end of World War II.

Solid D
06-09-2006, 12:46 AM
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://aula.el-mundo.es/aula/noticia.php/2003/05/06/aula1052154166.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHerrmann%2Band%2BSons%2BArgentina%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D

Walter's grandfather was German, according to this article.

whottt
06-09-2006, 12:58 AM
Good lord. Say it aint so Solid, say it aint so.

ChumpDumper
06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
No one has said he came over on the last boat from Middle Earth yet?

whottt
06-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Is Middle Earth in Europe? Like Germany?

And Spain(ish)?

Ariel
06-09-2006, 02:15 AM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9228/quizzicaldog7gp.jpg

exstatic
06-09-2006, 07:16 AM
No one has said he came over on the last boat from Middle Earth yet?
:lol:rollin

Doc Jerome
06-09-2006, 07:40 AM
No way! This guy looks slow as hell. Can you all leave the slow lumbering types off the Spurs short list, . . . or long list for that matter? Spurs need youth and athleticism, and I stress ATHLETICISM. No way is this fellow even close to what they need to address.

Just keep looking, and stay tuned. :fro

Ariel
06-09-2006, 07:45 AM
No way! This guy looks slow as hell. Can you all leave the slow lumbering types off the Spurs short list, . . . or long list for that matter? Spurs need youth and athleticism, and I stress ATHLETICISM. No way is this fellow even close to what they need to address.
Say you don't like him because his haircut looks goofy if you will, but don't make up excuses if you've never seen him play, which is obviously the case.

SPARKY
06-09-2006, 08:10 AM
I would think that Herrmann is somewhere on the Spurs' list of free agent targets. The concerns I have center around his shooting and his D. A small forward needs to be able to do both in the Spurs' system.

Ariel
06-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Personally, I don't even think he's NBA bound, let alone on the Spurs. His athleticism, skill level, and shooting are just fine at the very least, it's his defense and mainly his motivation I have reservations about. He just hasn't been quite the same since the tragic events.

Doc Jerome
06-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Say you don't like him because his haircut looks goofy if you will, but don't make up excuses if you've never seen him play, which is obviously the case.

Wow! You stated the obvious. I was commenting on what I have seen in the video link. There is no game footage; it's a dunking contest, and he looks to be really slow. I have seen enough ball players to tell if a guy is athletic enough to handle the kind of responsibilities the Spurs need, and he does not have it.

Many thought Brent Barry was athletic enough to handle certain on the court responsibilities just because he won a slam dunk contest, but I have yet to see him perform any kind of awe inspiring athletic play during the corse of an NBA game during his tenure with the Spurs. Go figure.

Thank you very much.

Ariel
06-09-2006, 10:34 PM
Wow! You stated the obvious. I was commenting on what I have seen in the video link. There is no game footage; it's a dunking contest, and he looks to be really slow. I have seen enough ball players to tell if a guy is athletic enough to handle the kind of responsibilities the Spurs need, and he does not have it.
To be honest, I did fear calling you out for not knowing what you were talking about was a little obvious. I have no problem with anyone not being acquainted with Walter Herrmann, since I don't know a lot of things about a lot of subjects myself, I'm as human as you are. I do have a problem, however, with you acting as if you had the final word after having seen nothing but a clip of not even a basketball game, as you just admitted.

Personally, I'd rather not comment on that which I know nothing about, and I most certainly don't feel like preaching about it. But to each their own I guess, and here you are again, taking pride in coming to a definitive judgment having seen nothing but a few seconds worth of video, pulling the "I have seen enough to know" card.

What you fail to understand is that I have watched him play, and that's why yours comes accross as such a ridiculous comment. Athleticism, which is the reason you cite for dismissing him as a legit prospect, is probably the least of all concerns for those who have seen Walter Herrmann play. He, who has been referred to as "an Argentine Dr. J", is one of the most athletic players on the Argentine NT, and by no means is he "slow as hell", as you stated. May I remind you, Manu, Nocioni and Delfino adjusted just fine from an athletic standpoint, and Oberto's athleticism wouldn't be a big problem if he were 5 years younger.

Now, for you to understand that it's not just about me drinking one too many beers and posting random crap out of a single clip (* gulp *), I'll post a few quotes from other sources. For starters, here's a passage from his ACB file (http://acb.com/jugador.php?id=B23):

"Tiene una capacidad atlética asombrosa, con altura, envergadura (largos brazos y grandes manos), coordinación, potencia de salto y un letal primer paso que le hace muy difícil de defender en sus penetraciones"

Here's a translation, if case you can't read Spanish:

(Walter Herrmann) has amazing athleticism, with size, wingspan (long arms and big hands), coordination, leaping skills and a lethal first step that makes him very difficult to guard when driving to the basket.

Here's another quote, this time from DraftExpress (http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1038):

Unlike most players featured in this article, there's no physical or athletic flaws in Walter Herrmann. At 6-8, he enjoys excellent size for a small forward, paired with a great wingspan and enormous hands that he uses to snatch the ball out of the air like a tennis ball. Besides, he's a strong player and rather explosive. All in all, his body is ready to step onto a NBA court.

Herrmann's main strength rests in his slashing ability. He has a nice first step and some handles (not that good, especially with his off hand) to start moving, while his athleticism (he has won several dunk contests in his career) and big hands do the rest. He can take advantage of his size and strength in the lane.

So, before you come again trying to tell me with a straight face that yours is an authoritative word, please consider that others may actually know what they're talking about, so if you haven't watched all that much, instead of confronting try giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Many thought Brent Barry was athletic enough to handle certain on the court responsibilities just because he won a slam dunk contest, but I have yet to see him perform any kind of awe inspiring athletic play during the corse of an NBA game during his tenure with the Spurs. Go figure.
It must have taken some foresight... who would have thought that a slam dunk contest winner at age 24, wouldn't have that kind of athleticism anymore at age 33?

SPARKY
06-09-2006, 10:44 PM
For those of you scoring at home, the Spurs don't exactly have a bevy of possibilities to be their backup small forward.

picnroll
06-09-2006, 10:51 PM
What I've seen of Hermann, which is 2002 WCs limitedtime and 2004 Olympics, he doesn't seem to share the same high basketball IQ of some of his compatriots.

Cherry
06-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I don't remember him making many on court contributions to Argentina's win.

Athens 2004 Basketball Semi Finals, Argentina-EEUU, 5 minutes, 4° cuarter...

...remember? :angel

danyel
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
What I've seen of Hermann, which is 2002 WCs limitedtime and 2004 Olympics, he doesn't seem to share the same high basketball IQ of some of his compatriots.

He wasn't on the 2002 roster.

I agree with Diego, he is not NBA ready. Some lottery team might spend a million or two making an experiment and singing him, but I don't think he is Spurs material.

Cherry
06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
As long as that Argentine knows not to foul a layup when you're up 3 with 20 secs left, it's all good.

can you GET OVER IT for god sake?

take a breath :lol

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Personally, I'd rather not comment on that which I know nothing about, and I most certainly don't feel like preaching about it. But to each their own I guess, and here you are again, taking pride in coming to a definitive judgment having seen nothing but a few seconds worth of video, pulling the "I have seen enough to know" card.

You just did. If you know so much why are YOU on this site extolling the merrits of your "knowledge" and wisdom on the matter. You should be employed by the Spurs, traveling the world scouting and beneath such mundane matters as trying to illuminate the good Doctor here in this little sub-culture at SprusTalk.

Noone here is a professional at evaluating talent, and all here, with no exceptions, are compelled to give opinions based on what we see and think we know, and how we feel at the time of such. I do not profess to be "THE AUTHORITY," I just come across that way when I type. There is no need to pull any type of card when you see something for what it is and give your opinion about it. Perhaps Walter Herrrmann will get the chance to prove me and others wrong, and make an impact if he should join the League. That's what's so great about sports.

What you fail to understand is that I have watched him play, and that's why yours comes accross as such a ridiculous comment. Athleticism, which is the reason you cite for dismissing him as a legit prospect, is probably the least of all concerns for those who have seen Walter Herrmann play. He, who has been referred to as "an Argentine Dr. J", is one of the most athletic players on the Argentine NT, and by no means is he "slow as hell", as you stated. May I remind you, Manu, Nocioni and Delfino adjusted just fine from an athletic standpoint, and Oberto's athleticism wouldn't be a big problem if he were 5 years younger.

I don't fail to do anything. Obviously YOU covet him as the elusive long, athletic 3 the Spurs are so desperately seeking. I do not; and, based on the video I saw, he is too slow for NBA 3's. We are not talking about Manu, Nocioni, or Delfino and Oberto wasn't that much more athletic 5 years ago. Now, . . . you are entitled to disagree; however, your abstention from concurring must be tempered with some humility and not the pious rhetoric with which you think you were compelled to practice.

Now, for you to understand that it's not just about me drinking one too many beers and posting random crap out of a single clip (* gulp *), I'll post a few quotes from other sources.

Sorry, you assumed I drink; but, I do not. I'll give you this, the quotes were nice backup material, but in this case, I'll trust my own instincts and my eyes. Perhaps Walter will proove me wrong.:fro

So, before you come again trying to tell me with a straight face that yours is an authoritative word, please consider that others may actually know what they're talking about, so if you haven't watched all that much, instead of confronting try giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Tell me again. Who did I confront? You called me out with a seriousness akin to having "screwface." I am just making a house call.

And for the record, I do give others the benefit of the doubt in most cases; but in this case, the highlights posted by Buddy Holly helped with my opin, er ahh, diagnosis. Now take 2 and call me in the morning.:fro

Ariel
06-10-2006, 01:31 AM
You just did. If you know so much why are YOU on this site extolling the merrits of your "knowledge" and wisdom on the matter. You should be employed by the Spurs, traveling the world scouting and beneath such mundane matters as trying to illuminate the good Doctor here in this little sub-culture at SprusTalk.
Me? nooo... There are dozens of more knowledgeable posters in these boards. My only merit is, after watching a player on the court a hundred times, being able to tell that he's not "slow as hell", "the slow lumbering type", or "not athletic enough". But all it takes is a little bit of work, and not a analytical basketball mind.

Tell you what though, I know this fellow who can tell scouts and long time followers wrong, merely off a short clip worth a few seconds!!!... and not even from a basketball game, but off a contest!!! Here, I have a few of his quotes:

I don't know about you, but to me that looks like the real deal. Don't know his name though, but if you find out, don't waste any more of his time, and put him in touch with the pros. That kind of skill doesn't come accross every day!

Noone here is a professional at evaluating talent, and all here, with no exceptions, are compelled to give opinions based on what we see and think we know, and how we feel at the time of such. I do not profess to be "THE AUTHORITY," I just come across that way when I type. There is no need to pull any type of card when you see something for what it is and give your opinion about it. Perhaps Walter Herrrmann will get the chance to prove me and others wrong, and make an impact if he should join the League. That's what's so great about sports.
I agree with the general sentiment of this paragraph, but that's not really what I got off the following quotes:

Nah... it must be me though. Chalk it up to my poor reading comprehension skills.

Obviously YOU covet him as the elusive long, athletic 3 the Spurs are so desperately seeking. I do not; and, based on the video I saw, he is too slow for NBA 3's. We are not talking about Manu, Nocioni, or Delfino and Oberto wasn't that much more athletic 5 years ago. Now, . . . you are entitled to disagree; however, your abstention from concurring must be tempered with some humility and not the pious rhetoric with which you think you were compelled to practice.
Is that so? I thought the following post in this very same thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1020692&postcount=55) would be enough for anyone to figure I wasn't advocating for Herrmann to be targeted:

Personally, I don't even think he's NBA bound, let alone on the Spurs. His athleticism, skill level, and shooting are just fine at the very least, it's his defense and mainly his motivation I have reservations about. He just hasn't been quite the same since the tragic events.
Guess I was wrong... In that case, for further reassurance, let me say it again: I do not think Walter Herrmann is the answer to that long coveted young, athletic, defensive 3. Ever since tragedy hit his life, he hasn't displayed the kind of motivation, consistency and defensive effort needed to succeed at that level, and I'm not sure he ever will. Furthermore, the urgency of the matter is such that even if none of the above applied, he'd still be far from my shortlist, since I do not believe the Spurs can afford for him to develop and then contribute even if in a year. Does that cover it, or do I have to release a legal document?

You called me out with a seriousness akin to having "screwface." I am just making a house call.

And for the record, I do give others the benefit of the doubt in most cases; but in this case, the highlights posted by Buddy Holly helped with my opin, er ahh, diagnosis. Now take 2 and call me in the morning.
Gee... sorry, Doc, but after seeing first hand your 1 minute diagnosis, you'll have to excuse me if I go ahead and ask for a second opinion, alright?... :lol

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Me? nooo... There are dozens of more knowledgeable posters in these boards. My only merit is, after watching a player on the court a hundred times, being able to tell that he's not "slow as hell", "the slow lumbering type", or "not athletic enough". But all it takes is a little bit of work, and not a analytical basketball mind.

Then perhaps there is a bit of self discovery going on here. You have watched this fellow hundreds of times only to come to the exact same bottom line that I have after only having watched a clip of him showcasing his hops. And you say the reason you've come to this conclusion is "since TRAGEDY hit his life, he hasn't DISPLAYED the kind of MOTIVATION, CONSISTENCY and defensive EFFORT needed to succeed at that level, and I'M NOT SURE HE EVER WILL." Sounds like with a little psychological counseling, accoding to you, he will be a contender.

Tell you what though, I know this fellow who can tell scouts and long time followers wrong, merely off a short clip worth a few seconds!!!... and not even from a basketball game, but off a contest!!!

I would explain it, but it's apparent, you would not understand.

Nah... it must be me though. Chalk it up to my poor reading comprehension skills.

I will; but, I won't hold it against you.

I do not think Walter Herrmann is the answer to that long coveted young, athletic, defensive 3. Ever since tragedy hit his life, he hasn't displayed the kind of motivation, consistency and defensive effort needed to succeed at that level, and I'm not sure he ever will. Furthermore, the urgency of the matter is such that even if none of the above applied, he'd still be far from my shortlist, since I do not believe the Spurs can afford for him to DEVELOP and then CONTRIBUTE even if in a year. Does that cover it, or do I have to release a legal document?

Interesting use of words, ''develop'' and ''contribute.'' He simply is not ready. No legal document necessary.

Gee... sorry, Doc, but after seeing first hand your 1 minute diagnosis, you'll have to excuse me if I go ahead and ask for a second opinion, alright?... :lol

That's what everyone should do, afterall, it is a free internet, well, . . . kinda.:king

This is not about some high brow basketball analysis. It simply is about weather or not U think this guy can be on the Spurs team and do all the things needed to help them win a title on the court. Based on viewing, wheather it is hundreds of times or a video clip, U see what U see and U drew your conclusion, and of course, I drew mine. Surprise, they are both congruent, for varing reasons.

Now what's the beef?

:fro

leemajors
06-10-2006, 09:16 AM
ariel has seen him play in person, you have seen a low quality streaming video.

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 09:29 AM
ariel has seen him play in person, you have seen a low quality streaming video.

That solves everything. :fro

leemajors
06-10-2006, 10:03 AM
That solves everything. :fro

i don't think anyone is saying he's the perfect sf to solve all our problems. the problem is you dismissing him after seeing a grainy video.

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
i don't think anyone is saying he's the perfect sf to solve all our problems. the problem is you dismissing him after seeing a grainy video.

OMG! You act as if no opinion can be made after watching a decent quality video. We are not evaluating a slight of hand trick, in which case, video quality would matter. We are watching a guy run and jump repeatedly to dunk a ball. This is not the umteen generation of the "Zapruder film." I guess all video needs to be HD quality for posters to render an opinion?

If so, I'll take note when everyone does the same. Stay tuned, . . . :fro

Dartherus
06-10-2006, 11:27 AM
That's precisely the interesting thing ofr a franchise like Spurs, Herrman has a LOT of Potential, regarding strenght, athleticism,shooting and skills he was ahead of Nocioni (they have the same age), and he was the MVP of the Spanish league at a young age , before the HORRIBLE tragedy in his life (can you imagine that happening to you? For the records, apart from his direct family dead there, his fiancee was like a second mother to him, she was the one that encouraged him to play basketball at the best of his potential)...

After the car accident, he has never been the same, he show flashes of his great talent, but it seems he needs to come back at his best motivation, I guess that going to the NBA, and having Manu and Oberto as teammates, could be a motivation booster, and I guess the Spurs could get him with a minimal contract, so if it doesn't work, they wouldn't lose more money that the one invested in Jason Hart, Linton Johnson or Sean Marks, for instance, but if they can work out his motivation, they could have another Nocioni at hand...

I seriously doubt that another NBA franchise, with less familiar atmosphere and no argentinian buddies for him, could have quite a chance with this guy....

leemajors
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
OMG! You act as if no opinion can be made after watching a decent quality video. We are not evaluating a slight of hand trick, in which case, video quality would matter. We are watching a guy run and jump repeadly to dunk a ball. This is not the umteen generation of the "Zapruder film." I guess all video needs to be HD quality for posters to render an opinion?

If so, I'll take note when everyone does the same. Stay tuned, . . . :fro

exactly. you have seen him repeatedly run and jump to dunk. what kind of judgement can you make from that? one would think someone who had seem him play in a game would have a better grasp of what he can do. and btw, it's sleight of hand.

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 11:53 AM
exactly. you have seen him repeatedly run and jump to dunk. what kind of judgement can you make from that? one would think someone who had seem him play in a game would have a better grasp of what he can do. and btw, it's sleight of hand.

OK, now you are the site's "Grammar Police.'' You wear many hats my friend, defender of posters and correcting errors. And, btw, every sentence should start with a capital letter.

Stay tuned, . . .or not. :fro

leemajors
06-10-2006, 12:21 PM
i guess you have nothing to add. i just pointed your spelling error out, your grammar is fine. if this was any sort of formal communication, i would make sure to capitalize the first word in every sentece.

Doc Jerome
06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
i guess you have nothing to add. i just pointed your spelling error out, your grammar is fine. if this was any sort of formal communication, i would make sure to capitalize the first word in every sentece.

Enough said.
:fro

leemajors
06-10-2006, 12:51 PM
oh the irony.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Screwface?

Taking it to the Hole
06-10-2006, 03:48 PM
The one thing I don't question about Hermann is that he has HEART. I mean, this guy had to go through alot to just get back on the court. So if people are worried about baggage , they shouldn't. A tragedy like that would make most retire, yet here he is still playing. I think all the loss he has felt has propelled him to be both a better person and a better player. I think that if you are looking to put a guy on your team, you want one who has not had life so easy. It adds to the character of your team and you get a passionate competitor in the process. I don't think the idea of him playing in the NBA is unheard of. He certainly has done enough to warrant a chance to play in the NBA and I hope someone gives him a chance.

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Spurs fans talk like it's raining small forwards.