PDA

View Full Version : audioslave or soundgarden?

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
which chris cornell led effort do you like better? i like both but would say soundgarden...

blackbucket
06-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Soundgarden by far!!! Rage Against the Machine by far!!! Audioslave is good though.

jman3000
06-08-2006, 02:55 PM
soundgarden... easily.

leemajors
06-08-2006, 03:04 PM
soundgarden, easily. not even a question.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Soundgarden, no doubt.

sa_butta
06-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Soundgarden.

jman3000
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
On a related note.. has anyone heard Chris try to do RATM songs like LaRocha? Funniest stuff..... ever.

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 03:18 PM
On a related note.. has anyone heard Chris try to do RATM songs like LaRocha? Funniest stuff..... ever.

my thoughts exactly. i went to the bocktoberfest this past year in shiner and he covered some of their stuff and couldnt pull it off no matter how drunk i was. he did let the band do some of their rage shit and it sounded awesome. it was a decent concert but he should not have tried to pull off that stunt

MoSpur
06-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Temple of the Dog would have killed those bands.

Jimcs50
06-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Chris Cornell's Temple Of The Dog recorded perhaps the greatest vocal effort in his career when he put out Say Hello To Heaven . If you have not heard it, I suggest you do. He will blow you away.

Soundgarden's Jesus Christ Pose was another song that showcased Chris' vocal excellence.

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
^was that his solo effort? the one where he recorded 'she cant change me'?

Jimcs50
06-08-2006, 03:29 PM
^was that his solo effort? the one where he recorded 'she cant change me'?

No, he teamed up with former Pearl Jam band members to put out this CD.

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 03:30 PM
^i will have to look into that one

cornell actually puts on a hell of a show. he impressed me to be honest live

leemajors
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
cornell did have one solo album in between the bands, it was ok. he also did that song 'seasons' on the singles soundtrack solo. he also did some great vocal work on the AIC ep Sap.

IX_Equilibrium
06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I loved Cornell in Soundgarden. He was the man.

In Audioslave however, he is horrible. He went to this incredibly whiny singing style that gets old in about 5 seconds.

batman2883
06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Soundgarden

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 03:41 PM
spoonman will forever be a classic

MoSpur
06-08-2006, 03:48 PM
If not Temple of the Dog, then Soundgarden. I'm telling you, Cornell in Temple of the Dog was awesome. It was Gossard, Vedder, Ament, Cornell all working together.

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
way, way off subject anyone think ugly casanova is superior to modest mouse? their material was much better but only came out with one album.. the motherfuckers. i hate modest mouse

leemajors
06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
way, way off subject anyone think ugly casanova is superior to modest mouse? their material was much better but only came out with one album.. the motherfuckers. i hate modest mouse

haven't heard of them, but it sounds like a limbomaniacs/rhcp situation.

atxrocker
06-08-2006, 04:03 PM
haven't heard of them, but it sounds like a limbomaniacs/rhcp situation.

not sure if its your thing, but you may wanna give a listen. its the same lead singer of modest mouse with the band from another pretty big name group (cant think of it right now) and i like their stuff pretty good.. i hate the modest mouse thing tho

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2006, 05:43 PM
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-08-2006, 05:46 PM
I liked Audioslaves first cd, the 2nd wasn't very impressive IMO.

JoeChalupa
06-08-2006, 05:56 PM
soundgarden

katyon6th
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
soundgarden Cornell is greater than audioslave Cornell, by far. He's hot either way, though.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Soundgarden... btu truthfully it;s very close.
those 2 bands are from differnt times in my life.

Soundgarden numero with Audioslave a few milimieters behind.

SequSpur
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
soundgarden Cornell is greater than audioslave Cornell, by far. He's hot either way, though.

Stick to coed softball.

Soundgarden is asskicking music.

Audioslave is mellow stuff, both are good in my book.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I like both.

Queens of the Stone Age ain't bad either.

Anyone like QOTSA??

atxrocker
06-09-2006, 12:13 AM
alvarez i dig qotsa big time. really good stuff. plus i like josh homme alot. he played guitar for the screaming trees who i also dig. they were in ausitn a while back but i didnt get to catch their show. sucks.

leemajors
06-09-2006, 12:15 AM
lanegan also had a great voice. i wish i could find the screaming trees cd i had in high school.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 02:51 AM
These were taken when QOTSA did a gig @ Emo's in Austin... it was right after they did a small acoustic set at Waterloo records in front of maybe 200 people... great times... favorite band for me. Josh Homme is cool as shit in person, very laid back.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3682/meandalain6ve.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4228/meandjoey6qk.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8302/meandtroy0wl.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9091/meandjosh3jd.jpg

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8001/poster3vi.jpg

jman3000
06-09-2006, 02:52 AM
^^^^omg... sorry... i dont know how to make them smaller... many apologies.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-09-2006, 03:33 AM
QOTSA are good, but Kyuss were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better!
John Garcia has got one of the best voices in music.
Get ahold of anything from Kyuss, Unida or SloBurn, and find out for yourself!

Melmart1
06-09-2006, 03:37 AM
lanegan also had a great voice. i wish i could find the screaming trees cd i had in high school.

"Whiskey for the Holy Ghost" by Mark Lanegan is awesome.

But Soundgarden is much better than Audioslave, though I like both. I am glad I got to see Soundgarden before they broke up.

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2006, 07:32 AM
I like both.

Queens of the Stone Age ain't bad either.

Anyone like QOTSA??

me :spin

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Speaking of Emo's in Austin.....

we have gone 4 times to see various bands..
twice WE have gotton in free because Emo's name is EMO. :lol
they see his driver's licsence and laugh thier asses off.

:tu free stuff

jman3000
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
QOTSA are good, but Kyuss were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better!
John Garcia has got one of the best voices in music.
Get ahold of anything from Kyuss, Unida or SloBurn, and find out for yourself!

Kyuss is great too... but it's more "chillin in your room listening to music" music. While QOTSA is more of a driving type of music. Besides Wretch, Blues for the Red Sun, Sky Valley, and The Circus Leaves Town they also have some songs released on a split EP with QOTSA that features 3 great songs (one of which is a cover of Into the Void) and Unida's unreleased album is probably actually their best one. :tu

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Kyuss is great too... but it's more "chillin in your room listening to music" music. While QOTSA is more of a driving type of music. Besides Wretch, Blues for the Red Sun, Sky Valley, and The Circus Leaves Town they also have some songs released on a split EP with QOTSA that features 3 great songs (one of which is a cover of Into the Void) and Unida's unreleased album is probably actually their best one. :tu

I'd argue that "Blues....." is driving music moreso than most of anything of QOTSA's (with the possible exception of the debut album). "Wretch", "Welcome to Sky Valley" and "......and the Circus Leaves Town" are definately discs to listen to when you're just in the mood to hear some good tunes and not do anything else.
I've never seen that Kyuss/Queens split anywhere. I knew it existed, but never saw it anywhere for sale (aprt from eBay). I actually heard their version of "Into the Void" not too long ago, and I was VERY impressed with it!
I tracked down "Coping With the Urban Coyote" a few months ago, something I thought I'd NEVER find again! That is a great album. Their split with Dozer has some great material on it too.
You ever hear any of those "Desert Sessions" albums? Or Mondo Generator? Or Eagles of Death Metal? Or (naturally) Fu Manchu? All of which feature former Kyuss members.
I got to see Kyuss twice while they were still around, I've seen Fu Manchu two or three times and I saw Unida once as well. All were great live.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 12:48 PM
^^^ I probably have everything that any of those bands you mentioned has ever released. Did you by any chance see the QOTSA gig at the Wiltern in LA not too long ago? John Garcia actually came back and did a couple of songs with QOTSA, and I probably woulda spent my tuition money to go see it if I knew they were gonna do that :spin

I might of just giving it to hear Thumb :tu

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YQ0MwoZkPPo&search=queens%20of%20the%20stone%20age

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U-6F9rY5tso&search=qotsa%20garcia

there's more of the songs out there... but I can't find em at the moment.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
I didn't go but my friend was telling me about it.
He said that both John and Brant were up there with Josh and they did a 6 song Kyuss mini-set. Lucky fuckin' bastard!
He was also telling me that there were some kids not too far away from him talking, and one of them was schooling the other by informing him "This was QOTSA before they were QOTSA!"!!!!!
I just about fell to the floor laughing when he told me that!

jman3000
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I didn't go but my friend was telling me about it.
He said that both John and Brant were up there with Josh and they did a 6 song Kyuss mini-set. Lucky fuckin' bastard!
He was also telling me that there were some kids not too far away from him talking, and one of them was schooling the other by informing him "This was QOTSA before they were QOTSA!"!!!!!
I just about fell to the floor laughing when he told me that!

I never heard anything about Brant being there... if he was, they shoulda put him on drums instead of Castillo because he's the one who wrote the music in the first place... on another note, they just finished recording DS 11-12 not too long ago and apparently QOTSA is starting to work on their next album... I'm not expecting anything hard hitting.. I'm expecting more mellow stuff to reflect Josh's new found fatherhood.. should be interesting in the least.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-09-2006, 01:21 PM
My friend swears that Brant was there. Of course, he has done a lot of damage to himself through the use of chemical stimuli, but that's neither her nor there. *L*
I was never too big on those DS albums. IMO, the material was pretty thin. I'm not to high on that EoDM stuff, either. Too poppy for my liking, from what little I've heard.
What is John Garcia doing these days, anyway? Does he still have SloBurn going or has that outfit split up too?
What did you think of the live Queens disc/DVD?
BTW, thanks for those links. Those videos were awesome!

TheSanityAnnex
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Speaking of Soundgarden................................

Was anyone here a fan of Temple of the Dog?

That album fucking rocked.

"I don't mind stealing bread, from the mouths of decadence, and I can't feed on the powerless when my cups already overfilled"

What the fuck ever happened to that "type" of music. I'm not sure how to classify it.

You know, the "Soundgarden-Pearl Jam-Stone Temple Pilots-Red Hot Chili Peppers-Alice in Chains" years............what the hell happened to quality music like that?

jman3000
06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
My friend swears that Brant was there. Of course, he has done a lot of damage to himself through the use of chemical stimuli, but that's neither her nor there. *L*
I was never too big on those DS albums. IMO, the material was pretty thin. I'm not to high on that EoDM stuff, either. Too poppy for my liking, from what little I've heard.
What is John Garcia doing these days, anyway? Does he still have SloBurn going or has that outfit split up too?
What did you think of the live Queens disc/DVD?

The DS albums have to be listened to fully and preferably through headphones... they really are something special if you like experimentation and the like... Rickshaw is one of my favorite songs and it sounds unique because they use 2 drummers and it has a nice vibe. If you can, try to listen to every song and give them each a chance. EoDM shouldn't be taken as pop either... it's Jesse trying to make music that hasn't been done in quite a while and just because he's a little... eccentric, shouldn't be a knock against him. EoDM and QOTSA are some of the few bands that I like because once you hear 5 seconds of their songs you can immediately know who they are and there is no second guessing.

Spurminator
06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
What the fuck ever happened to that "type" of music. I'm not sure how to classify it.

Grunge?

leemajors
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Speaking of Soundgarden................................

That album fucking rocked.

"I don't mind stealing bread, from the mouths of decadence, and I can't feed on the powerless when my cups already overfilled"

You know, the "Soundgarden-Pearl Jam-Stone Temple Pilots-Red Hot Chili Peppers-Alice in Chains" years............what the hell happened to quality music like that?

it got overexposed and ate itself, and got regurgitated by too many imitators. the money went elsewhere.

katyon6th
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Stick to coed softball.

Soundgarden is asskicking music.

Audioslave is mellow stuff, both are good in my book.

You jerk.

Stick this. :flipoff

MannyIsGod
06-09-2006, 02:52 PM
I was dreading this thread.

Soundgarden man, how can you even come close to it? Fell On Black days is fucking classic.

I like Audioslave, but yeah, not even close.

On the live Audioslave DVD you can see Chris try the Rage songs, and I gotta agree, it is HORRIBLE.

MannyIsGod
06-09-2006, 02:52 PM
BTW, Pearl Jams new album is damn good.

SpursWoman
06-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Speaking of Emo's in Austin.....

we have gone 4 times to see various bands..
twice WE have gotton in free because Emo's name is EMO. :lol
they see his driver's licsence and laugh thier asses off.

:tu free stuff

I thought Emo was a nickname?

SpursWoman
06-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Yes. There used to be a poster here of that name. :spin

leemajors
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM

i agree. starts a little slow, but it really picks up momentum as it goes along.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Yeah, Euphoria Morning and that Sunshowers song off of the Great Expectations soundtrack are his best work. But between, Audioslave and Soundgarden, I'm going with Soundgarden. Tom Morello is fucking annoying.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I heard on the radio wrote most of the songs on a fucking yukelayle (sp..)

I saw Audioslave at 04 lollapalooza and it wasn't htat impressive. QOTSA were better. So were Incubus.

Soundgarden ended before it's time. It was a period when that era of rock was dying, 4 or 5 bands had broken up or killed themselves, and Soundgarden just decided to kick the fans when they were down. Their last album was very progressive, not even appreciated as it should have been, because (naturally) people were expecting Black Hole Sun pt. II.

Pretty Noose is one of my favorite songs ever.

ALVAREZ6
06-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Fell On Black days is fucking classic.

:tu

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:12 PM
You know, I used to hate Incubus but lately I've been into them. Maybe because on on a "The" band overload. All these bands with the in fronr of their name lately sound the same.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Incubus' SCIENCE was one of the most progressive albums of all time. Light years ahead of itself.

All downhill from there, they fired DJ Lyfe and got that DJ Killmore suck ass who, well, sucks ass.

Before they came on stage, fucking 8-bit Mario Bros theme song kicked in and thats what they opened up with. Pretty funny.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I need to start editing my posts. I sound retarded and the furthest thing from an English major.

gameFACE
06-10-2006, 12:48 AM
The thread is coming from the Soundgarden point of view but i'm a bigger Rage Against The Machine fan and I come to Audioslave from that angle. Audioslave has some pretty good material. Doesn't Remind Me is a great song. But I see Audioslave as just plain different from either one of the previous two bands. Soundgarden was heavier and RATM was more militant in their approach. Audioslave pulls it off pretty well, though.

gospursgojas
06-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Audioslave

Cant_Be_Faded
06-10-2006, 01:21 AM
The thread is coming from the Soundgarden point of view but i'm a bigger Rage Against The Machine fan and I come to Audioslave from that angle. Audioslave has some pretty good material. Doesn't Remind Me is a great song. But I see Audioslave as just plain different from either one of the previous two bands. Soundgarden was heavier and RATM was more militant in their approach. Audioslave pulls it off pretty well, though.

hahahahaha
more militant

zack de la rocha fucking owns j00

leemajors
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
peter tosh was militant. rage was ehhh. cornell wasn't in mad season, but that was also a great group.

Melmart1
06-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Mad Season put on one of the best shows I have ever been to, at the Moore Theatre in Seattle in 1995. Maybe even the best.

GrandeDavid
06-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Soundgarden.

jman3000
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
A band called Wellwater Conspiracy featuring Soundgarden's drummer and Monster Magnet's Guitarist and lots of guest appearances, is actually pretty good. Try to give em a listen.