PDA

View Full Version : resolution software?

johngateswhiteley
06-09-2006, 11:26 AM
...i don't know a lot about computers and their software, so bear with me, but is there a program or something that improves (or makes better) the quality of digital photos. i have some on my computer that i would like to touch up. thanks in advance to any and everyone that responds.

-john

Slomo
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
For any type of photo manipulation, corrections and similar: Photoshop CS2.

But if by "making better" you mean to take a 200x100 pixels JPEG and resize it to 1024x768 while maintaining (or even improving) it's sharpness - I'm afraid this sort of things only exist in movies and TV series.

strangeweather
06-09-2006, 12:04 PM
For any type of photo manipulation, corrections and similar: Photoshop CS2.
CS2 is great, but I might recommend Photoshop Elements or even something more basic for someone that's a newcomer to graphics software.

ShoogarBear
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, there is no such thing as "resolution software" like the thread title implies. Basically you're stuck with the pixels you are given.

Slomo
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
CS2 is great, but I might recommend Photoshop Elements or even something more basic for someone that's a newcomer to graphics software.If he is a beginner, you are probably right. The only problem is that for "repairing" bad/old photos the tools you need are really in the full version.

Just a word of warning though. There is no quick magic solution for restoring pictures. It involves using an expensive software for a lot of hours (it can be quite frustrating) - but if you are willing to put in the time the results exceed older (analogue) methods by far.

johngateswhiteley
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
If he is a beginner, you are probably right. The only problem is that for "repairing" bad/old photos the tools you need are really in the full version.

Just a word of warning though. There is no quick magic solution for restoring pictures. It involves using an expensive software for a lot of hours (it can be quite frustrating) - but if you are willing to put in the time the results exceed older (analogue) methods by far.

thank you very much! this is what i needed to know. i'll check out what you mentioned and thanks again.

SpursWoman
06-09-2006, 04:29 PM
But if by "making better" you mean to take a 200x100 pixels JPEG and resize it to 1024x768 while maintaining (or even improving) it's sharpness - I'm afraid this sort of things only exist in movies and TV series.

:lol

User always says in shows like CSI or whatever..."Oh, that is such bullshit....you can't take a small picture and make it bigger at the same or better quality!! :cuss :cuss This show is stupid."

I should have put that in the pet peeve thread for him, I guess. :oops

Slomo
06-09-2006, 04:35 PM
:lol

User always says in shows like CSI or whatever..."Oh, that is such bullshit....you can't take a small picture and make it bigger at the same or better quality!! :cuss :cuss This show is stupid."

I should have put that in the pet peeve thread for him, I guess. :oopsThat's my biggest pet peeve. Even my wife know it's coming while we are watching CSI. But the worst was on a show they had this unsharp 200x200 pixels black and white security video camera shot, and then they "enhanced it" so that they not only could recognize the perp from the reflection in the victim's eye but were able to print nice glossy letter size copies of it! :lmao

SpursWoman
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
But the worst was on a show they had this unsharp 200x200 pixels black and white security video camera shot, and then they "enhanced it" so that they not only could recognize the perp from the reflection in the victim's eye but were able to print nice glossy letter size copies of it! :lmao

That's exactly the type I'm talking about. :lol