PDA

View Full Version : Brevin Knight

MoSpur
06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Just wanted to know what you guys might think about bringing him to backup Tony. He has one guaranteed year left on his contract and after that its the team's option. I don't know who Charlotte would want in return. There are rumors he is available, but for the right price.

SPARKY
06-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Let's give them Rasho and a case of Lone Star.

MoSpur
06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
We want to give Rasho to everyone. I wouldn't mind getting Primoz for Rasho, but don't think it matches up.

strangeweather
06-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Knight for Barry ought to work under the cap.

I haven't seen him play much. Fantastic assist numbers -- can he defend at all?

MoSpur
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
He's not known for his defense, but he is a very smart player.

MrChug
06-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Nope Primoz definately would not yield a Rasho player-for-player. He plays hard, what we expected from Rasho...but didn't get.

Brevin is a helluva player, tight defense...deft passing. Like AJ with defense...no jumper tho.

MoSpur
06-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't think they would give up Primoz either. I would just like him. However, Brevin is somewhat available.

SCdac
06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Brevin Knight would make a great backup to Parker imo. Just the kind of pass-first guard we need... I'd be suprised if he came to the Spurs though.

*goes back to lurking* :p

ChumpDumper
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't know why anyone would think Bernie would take Barry for a starting point guard.

Brezec's D is a joke without a punchline, though he is pretty aggro on offense.

megamanu
06-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Knight becoming a hot commodity
Several teams interested in Bobcats point guard
RICK BONNELL
[email protected]

ORLANDO, Fla. - The pre-draft camp is supposed to be about rookies, but the Charlotte Bobcats keep getting asked about a veteran.

Brevin Knight. It sounds as if a deal could happen this summer.

"There's a lot of interest in Brevin," coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff told the Observer on Thursday during a break at the pre-draft camp at Disney's Wide World of Sports. "Most of the conversation includes him.''

Bickerstaff said he's spoken with the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers, along with other teams he didn't identify, about various possibilities. The Raptors and Blazers could use a veteran point guard, although at 30 Knight would likely be more attracted to a contender.

Knight is aware the team might consider trading him, with Raymond Felton emerging at point guard late last season. Bickerstaff asked Knight to play more off the ball the last month of the season to allow Felton to develop.

Neither Knight nor his agent, Bill Strickland, could be reached Thursday. Late in the season Knight said he'd prefer to remain a Bobcat, but if his minutes drop dramatically, he'd be receptive to a trade.

"If I'm going to play just a little bit of minutes, I'd rather be on a playoff team," Knight said during the season. "So if (the situation) changes, we'd address that."

That process might soon begin, although Bickerstaff said the team isn't close to a deal. Bickerstaff respects how Knight helped shape this franchise, and wouldn't blindside him.

"I haven't talked to him, but I will," Bickerstaff said. "It would entail him getting some input."

That doesn't mean Knight could kill a good deal.

"He doesn't have veto power," Bickerstaff said. "But I wouldn't just throw him in a situation that wouldn't be right for his skills."

A deal could be complicated because teams with the most use for veteran point guards -- contenders -- might have the hardest time fitting Knight's salary under their caps. He'll make $4.2 million next season, so the Bobcats would likely have to take back some salary from any team acquiring Knight.

Also, Bickerstaff says he has to be realistic about how high a draft pick he'd get in compensation.

"You're not going to break the bank (trading) him," Bickerstaff said. "You have to be careful if you're talking about getting greedy. Brevin came here as a free agent. If you get something in return" you're ahead.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/basketball/nba/charlotte_bobcats/14776296.htm

exstatic
06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Brevin Knight is a true PG in the sense that he gets players good shots in their comfort areas. I didn't reallize that he was available, so add him to the list with Speedy.

loveforthegame
06-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I would love to see him backup Parker.

Barry/Udrih for Knight works.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Again, why in the world would Bernie want Barry?

JMarkJohns
06-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Suns are thought to have interest as well. Might even offer one of their picks with part of their remaining trade exception or even a player like Jones.

Bruno
06-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Knight is a very good player but I find that $4.4M to play 12 mpg as backup PG is too expensive and I don't like Parker as SG even for few minutes.

Barry will be a nice fit for Charlotte : they need a shooting guard who can shoot, Barry is a nice guy with a lot of experience and his contract expire at the perfect moment for them.

All in all, I think Barry to charlotte for a trade exception or Jumaine Jones (S&T to use the MLE on another player) or Bernard Robinson can be a good trade.

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Knight would be ok. Assuming the Smith trade is still available and the Bobcats would take Barry for Knight, the Spurs would have an interesting decision to make.

Team needs are a rebounding athletic bigman, backup small forward and backup point. Smith doesn't fit any of those but you have to think about his potential. In the right situation he might just blow up and become an elite player.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Assuming the Smith trade is still available and the Bobcats would take Barry for Knight, the Spurs would have an interesting decision to make.Charlotte isn't at the point where they'd be looking for crusty vets to get them into the playoffs like NOLA/OKC. They're reportedly looking at Flip Murray.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 03:00 PM
He's not known for his defense, but he is a very smart player.

:lol Not known for his defense? He's one of the best on the ball swipe artists in the league.

http://www.82games.com/random24.htm

Scroll down some, he's the top on the dribble steal artist in the league. He's also been in the top 5 in steals in the league for the last 3 years running, including #2 this year.

Yeah, horrible defender......

strangeweather
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
:lol Not known for his defense? He's one of the best on the ball swipe artists in the league.

http://www.82games.com/random24.htm

Scroll down some, he's the top on the dribble steal artist in the league. He's also been in the top 5 in steals in the league for the last 3 years running, including #2 this year.

Yeah, horrible defender......
As I said above, I don't know enough about Brevin Knight's defense to have an opinion.

But a number of players with high steal stats gamble too much trying to steal the ball, and end up giving their man open shots and drives. Having a high number of steals is no guarantee of sound defense.

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 04:54 PM
The Spurs have never been a big steals team because their focus on defense is on challenging every shot and funneling penetrators to the baseline. Steals aren't really a key to a great defense. You would think that a basketball god like AHF would know such things.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 07:16 PM
But a number of players with high steal stats gamble too much trying to steal the ball, and end up giving their man open shots and drives. Having a high number of steals is no guarantee of sound defense.

While it's no guarantee, in Brevin's case it is indicative of his defensive capabilities. Get yourself NBA League Pass next year, and you'll get to see teams play more than when they come to SA or are on national TV.

Knight would be a great player in our system.

SsKSpurs21
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Brevin Knight would almost be an avery johnson of the late 90's spurs PG but without the vocal leadership. i had him on my fantasy team and he would regularly give me double digit assists and would get me 3-5 STEALS almost every night....

2nd in the league in assists per game
2nd in the league in steals per game
2nd in the league in assist to turnover ratio

shelshor
06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Brevin Knight would be fine--

cherylsteele
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll tell you who he reminds me more of and that is Johnny Moore in his prime.
Not a great shooter but solid assists man. Good on the ball defender with good hands.