PDA

View Full Version : Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Anyone given this CD a full listening to?

I never liked QOTSA that much, i liked 'go with the flow' from their album in 2003, and thought they were an overall solid band, just nothing that really caught and held my interest. But recently I was lent a copy of Lullabies to Paralyze and have listened to it non stop for 2 days.

You know an album is good right away when it defies genres and is unique and whole. This album fucking rules guys. It's totally mellow, freaky, and spooky at the same time!

What really blows is that they played alot of these songs opening for NIN back in October, but I find it hard to appreciate songs live you have never heard before. At the time I nodded my head to the beat, but the songs practically went in one ear and out the other...totally night and day compared to the effect the CD has had on me.

This CD is loaded with good songs. Feeling lazy on a friday afternoon? Pop this cd in. It is mellow, in a positive groovy sort of way.

Best album I've heard since 10,000 Days.

ALVAREZ6
06-09-2006, 06:42 PM
burn the witch, little sister :tu

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 06:45 PM
My favorite song is "I Never Came" The guitar has a groovy cascading effect when it kicks in after the chorus. I dig Little Sister too, didn't it used to be a radio single?

ALVAREZ6
06-09-2006, 06:47 PM
This CD in general is good.

You can listen to it through without skipping.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Little sister was the first single off this album. In My Head is a great video, and the Long and Slow Goodbye is a great song live or when you're drunk.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 07:01 PM
My favorite song would have to be Tangled up in the Plaid or Long Slow Goodbye... but their best work, imo, was still in the self titled album...followed by SFTD, Rated R then Lullabies. Give all their shit a listen... even any b-sides you can find... it's all great shit.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:04 PM
My favorite song would have to be Tangled up in the Plaid or Long Slow Goodbye... but their best work, imo, was still in the self titled album...followed by SFTD, Rated R then Lullabies. Give all their shit a listen... even any b-sides you can find... it's all great shit.

Yeah, Regular John is great. I think we've discussed that before.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I never liked too much of SFTD. The overall sound of Lullabies is just so bad ass I think. Very unique. I wish I coulda caught that show in Austin, it was like a week after I saw them in San Antonio.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
I never liked too much of SFTD. The overall sound of Lullabies is just so bad ass I think. Very unique. I wish I coulda caught that show in Austin, it was like a week after I saw them in San Antonio.

You'll like the first album and Rated R if you like the past album. It's got that stoner-rock vibe to it. It seems like you dig that. Also, the new Eagles of Death Metal is good. Maybe Jman remembers because I dont right now but there was another side project Homme was involved with. SFTD is good when you feel like hearing an album that is just balls out rock from beginning to end.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
The version of Regular John that they have in the CD/DVD "Over the Years and Through the Woods" kicks sooo much ass it's not even funny.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 07:14 PM
You'll like the first album and Rated R if you like the past album. It's got that stoner-rock vibe to it. It seems like you dig that. Also, the new Eagles of Death Metal is good. Maybe Jman remembers because I dont right now but there was another side project Homme was involved with. SFTD is good when you feel like hearing an album that is just balls out rock from beginning to end.

He's involved in a lot of shit that I know of:

Desert Sessions
Eagles of Death Metal
Masters of Reality
Millionaire
Remixed some of DFA 1979's songs
I believe he actually was in studio with Tool when they were recording 10,000 Days.
Some other stuff that is even less known that ^^^^.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Desert Sessions was it.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-09-2006, 07:16 PM
What are some good songs on Rated R? I don't think I've heard anything from that album before.

CharlieMac
06-09-2006, 07:18 PM
What are some good songs on Rated R? I don't think I've heard anything from that album before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004TH6O/qid=1149898639/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-0773016-0100930?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Sample it. If you like it send me a PM and I'll create a you send it or some shit for you this weekend.

jman3000
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM

Feel Good Hit of the Summer
Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
Auto Pilot
Better Living Through Chemistry
In the Fade (probably my favorite QOTSA song)
Tension Head
I Think I Lost my Headache

pretty much the entire album is great...

jman3000
06-09-2006, 07:28 PM
If you like whatever eriks sends you, lmk... I can send you the other Desert Sessions stuff and the b-sides I have.