PDA

View Full Version : For The People Who Are Optimistic About Ben Wallace

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-09-2006, 08:50 PM
You want him to come, but what will be the trade? Or if we just plain sign him, what will happen with Nazr, Rasho, and Fabio? Will we lose our rights for Scola? Say how it's gonna go down.

exstatic
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
It's not.

Buddy Holly
06-09-2006, 09:02 PM
In someone's dream.

Hell, I wouldn't sign Ben out right. He was a long term big money deal.

Fyck that, this ain't 2001.

GrandeDavid
06-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Last year it would've seemed unfathomable to be skeptical about acquiring a great post defender like Ben Wallace, but if this year's playoffs is any indication of the long term future of the game, you gotta have some doubts about him on a team like the Spurs. Crazy, I know.

theroc5
06-09-2006, 09:31 PM
well we could do a sign and trade with nazr for ben..similar salaries then trade barry for jr smith and you have

parker/beno(talk about youth)
manu/finely(fire power)
bowen/jr smith
duncan/scola
wallace/rasho

yall like?

Russ
06-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Wallace would be a salary cap albatross within two years.

exstatic
06-09-2006, 09:43 PM
You people need to pull your heads out of your asses. If Detroit decides he needs to be moved because he wants 'X' dollars, why in the HELL would they make an equal trade for Nazr for that amount to meet the CBA salary matching requirements?

And before you say "Ben might take less", remember, he hired a money agent, Arn Tellem. He knows that this is his LAST shot at a contract, and that Tellem can get him the most $$$.

milkyway21
06-09-2006, 09:43 PM
You want him to come, but what will be the trade? Or if we just plain sign him, what will happen with Nazr, Rasho, and Fabio? Will we lose our rights for Scola? Say how it's gonna go down.Sports Illustrated is reporting Ben Wallace wants Chicago among his short list of teams he'll consider this summer.

I know we don't really have so much to offer but is it possible for us to have Chandler?

TheSanityAnnex
06-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Wallace would be a wonderful pickup for two years, after that though, you are stuck with a dude who is the decline for four more years. It may be worth it though because that would make your team instant favorites.

Fabbs
06-09-2006, 09:49 PM
You people need to pull your heads out of your asses. If Detroit decides he needs to be moved because he wants 'X' dollars, why in the HELL would they make an equal trade for Nazr for that amount to meet the CBA salary matching requirements?

And before you say "Ben might take less", remember, he hired a money agent, Arn Tellem. He knows that this is his LAST shot at a contract, and that Tellem can get him the most $$$.

And Tellem if famous, as our some other agents for simply pretending there is interest in other teams, knowing all along Wallace will re sign with Det and is just driving up the price. I remember when this asswipe was defending Karl Malones cheapshots trying to pimp up the price.

The other side of the board has an alleged conversation between Joe Dumars and Ben Wallace, with Wallace saying "Just get it done quickly" to Dumars.

Not saying its impossible, but very very improbable.

estatic and all is BenWa not an unrestricted free agent, therefore no one has to be traded to Det to acquire him should the improbable occur.

theroc5
06-09-2006, 09:51 PM
if ben says im going to SA either way they might as well get a decent center

Bob Lanier
06-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Don't worry about Rasho, Nazr, and Fabbs. We aren't greedy. I'm sure Buford, Pop, and Joe D. will have to haggle about the picks you'll be throwing in, but as far as player personnel go just the one will do.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/6058/timmy213fh.jpg
(You get the rights to Bing's retired jersey in the deal)

exstatic
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
estatic and all is BenWa not an unrestricted free agent, therefore no one has to be traded to Det to acquire him should the improbable occur.

Then he's DEFINITELY not coming, since all we have available is the two salary exceptions, neither of which will come even close to the salary that he WILL command from someone, either Detroit or one of the under the cap teams.

SPARKY
06-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Whoa. The Spurs are not going to land Ben Wallace.

Pistons < Spurs
06-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I've been wrong plenty of times......but I really...really don't think Ben is going anywhere.

milkyway21
06-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I've been wrong plenty of times......but I really...really don't think Ben is going anywhere.so it's not true he said he hates playing for Flip? He'd rather go to NY and join Brown? or play alongside Tim Duncan?

ducks
06-09-2006, 11:34 PM
why would the spurs want wallace on a max deal and max years?

ducks
06-09-2006, 11:35 PM
so it's not true he said he hates playing for Flip? He'd rather go to NY and join Brown? or play alongside Tim Duncan?
new york has no money and looks to me the knicks are dragging their feet on buyout so larry brown can not get a job elsewhere :lol

SPARKY
06-09-2006, 11:45 PM
It'd be interesting if LB is bought out and free to join his bud's staff in SA...

FreshPrince22
06-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Ben for Timmay. Straight up.

Slinkyman
06-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Ben Wallace is overrated

F that, Rasho, Barry, Scola's rights for Sheed.

NBA Junkie
06-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Even if the Spurs had the pieces for a sign-and-trade, I don't think Detroit would do a deal considering that they still see the Spurs as a roadblock in hopes of capturing another NBA Title.

If Ben leaves on his own accord, I think he'll wind up in Chicago as they have a team on the rise, the money to spend, but, most importantly, the opportunity for him to stick it to his former team by playing for a division rival.

milkyway21
06-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Even if the Spurs had the pieces for a sign-and-trade, I don't think Detroit would do a deal considering that they still see the Spurs as a roadblock in hopes of capturing another NBA Title.

If Ben leaves on his own accord, I think he'll wind up in Chicago as they have a team on the rise, the money to spend, but, most importantly, the opportunity for him to stick it to his former team by playing for a division rival.whoa, Chicago with Big Ben(?), +Chandler, +Ben Gordon+ Deng,+ Nocioni + #2 over-all 1st round draft pick.

Scary! :wakeup

midgetonadonkey
06-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't sign Ben Wallace to a MLE contract.

milkyway21
06-10-2006, 01:46 AM
what scares me most is if Big Ben decides to join KG in Minny. Garnett is really aching for a solid center.

then there would be another WC solid team to play against in the playoffs..

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 02:38 AM
well we could do a sign and trade with nazr for ben..similar salaries then trade barry for jr smith and you have

parker/beno(talk about youth)
manu/finely(fire power)
bowen/jr smith
duncan/scola
wallace/rasho

yall like?

You're telling me the Pistons would take Nazr at the price of a Ben?

NBA Junkie
06-10-2006, 02:57 AM
what scares me most is if Big Ben decides to join KG in Minny. Garnett is really aching for a solid center.

then there would be another WC solid team to play against in the playoffs..

That's no way to tease a Timberwolves fan! All we have to offer is the MLE, and he'll want more than that.

It's bad enough that I have to see Iverson to Minny rumors that have no chance of happening. :depressed

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 03:01 AM
That's no way to tease a Timberwolves fan! All we have to offer is the MLE, and he'll want more than that.

It's bad enough that I have to see Iverson to Minny rumors that have no chance of happening. :depressed

As a Minny fan you should be glad there's "no chance of that happening" with AI.

NBA Junkie
06-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Getting Iverson would be a risk, but it's one I'm willing to take.

Pros- Iverson and KG have both lacked that true second superstar that would complement each others games. I think such a situation would work as I think both would be rejuvenated over the prospect of playing alongside one another. I don't think their styles of play would clash as Garnett is the type of player who is unselfish to a fault and Iverson is the go-to-guy that the Wolves need as Garnett isn't really a clutch perfomer in GW shot situations. I can't even begin to tell you how many close games this cost us earlier in the '06 season before the team lost confidence altogether.

Cons- Iverson hasn't won with players like Jerry Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, and Chris Webber at his side, but in all fairness Hughes and Stackhouse were young me first players like Iverson was earlier in his career and by the time Webber arrived in Philly, he was a one-legged player with declining skills due to the punishment his knees have taken over the last 4 years. Iverson is injury prone and has only played an entire 82 game season just once in his career.

I'm all for it as it would beat the alternative of trading Garnett and not getting fair market value in return. If Garnett were to leave, Timberwolves officials may just as well board up the Target Center permanently

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Yeah.
Just what the Spurs need.
Another piss-poor free throw shooter.
:jack

RON ARTEST
06-10-2006, 05:50 AM
I wouldn't sign Ben Wallace to a MLE contract.
dont be stupid, yes you would.

RON ARTEST
06-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah.
Just what the Spurs need.
Another piss-poor free throw shooter.
:jack
i dont care if he shot 5% from the freethrow line. if he came to the spurs they would be the best team in the nba period. hell they might be anyway.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 10:15 AM
People, wake up and join the rest of us in reality.

Ben Wallace isn't coming to San Antonio. Ben Wallace isn't going to Chicago.

Sports Illustrated is reporting Ben Wallace wants Chicago among his short list of teams he'll consider this summer.

The report quotes an unnamed NBA coach. :lol Scott Skiles, anyone?

The only reason Ben is reportedly looking at other teams is so that when Tellum goes to the negotiating table he can bend Detroit over for big money.

ducks
06-10-2006, 10:20 AM
sports illustrated is not the only one reporting that
another article in the NBA forum about it

ahf if he goes to the bulls he will be considered the man when they win
with pistons he will not
it is not like the bulls are a scubs team anyhow without him

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Getting Iverson would be a risk, but it's one I'm willing to take.

Pros- Iverson and KG have both lacked that true second superstar that would complement each others games. I think such a situation would work as I think both would be rejuvenated over the prospect of playing alongside one another. I don't think their styles of play would clash as Garnett is the type of player who is unselfish to a fault and Iverson is the go-to-guy that the Wolves need as Garnett isn't really a clutch perfomer in GW shot situations. I can't even begin to tell you how many close games this cost us earlier in the '06 season before the team lost confidence altogether.

Cons- Iverson hasn't won with players like Jerry Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, and Chris Webber at his side, but in all fairness Hughes and Stackhouse were young me first players like Iverson was earlier in his career and by the time Webber arrived in Philly, he was a one-legged player with declining skills due to the punishment his knees have taken over the last 4 years. Iverson is injury prone and has only played an entire 82 game season just once in his career.

I'm all for it as it would beat the alternative of trading Garnett and not getting fair market value in return. If Garnett were to leave, Timberwolves officials may just as well board up the Target Center permanently

I like Iverson's game. But he's never won anything. In a perfect situation with the perfect coach he went to the finals and lost. That was the climax of his career.

He can't play with another star. Hell, he can't play with somebody CLOSE to being another star (an old injured Chris Webber). What makes yout hink he could play with Garnett?

Plus, isn't KG trying to get OUT of Minny? Why would AI go somewhere where the other star wants out and Minnesota isn't exact appealing to black people.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I can see Ben going to Chicago.

I can't see him coming here.

There's money to offer in Chicago as well as the prestige of knowing you're the guy that put them over the hump. Hell, even if he doesn't win another ring...he'll still be getting paid more and he already has a ring. Big whoopie.

himat
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
People, wake up and join the rest of us in reality.

Ben Wallace isn't coming to San Antonio. Ben Wallace isn't going to Chicago.

The report quotes an unnamed NBA coach. :lol Scott Skiles, anyone?

The only reason Ben is reportedly looking at other teams is so that when Tellum goes to the negotiating table he can bend Detroit over for big money.

:lol Scot Skiles.

ducks
06-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I can see Ben going to Chicago.

I can't see him coming here.

There's money to offer in Chicago as well as the prestige of knowing you're the guy that put them over the hump. Hell, even if he doesn't win another ring...he'll still be getting paid more and he already has a ring. Big whoopie.

I can see bulls or pistons not anyone else
I want him to be a piston so spurs can beat him in finals but would not be mad if he went to bulls

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 11:21 AM
sports illustrated is not the only one reporting that
another article in the NBA forum about it

ducks, both articles cite an unnamed NBA coach. Like I said, Scott Skiles anyone?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I can see bulls or pistons not anyone else
I want him to be a piston so spurs can beat him in finals but would not be mad if he went to bulls

But we've already beat them.

The Pistons already look stupid for there "we deserved to win it last year, we'll show you this year" act. Then they turned on there coach. Just sit back and enjoy the trainwreck. :smokin

clubalien
06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I just don't see bulls signing both ben wallace AND nazr
so ithink nazr to bulls ben to spurs

ducks
06-10-2006, 11:26 AM
humm nazr or ben

not a very hard chose one is way better then the other one

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
humm nazr or ben

not a very hard chose one is way better then the other one

Ya, I'd go with Nazr too.

clubalien
06-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Ben is better because he isn't going to take half the season off and call it a relgious duty

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Ben is better because he isn't going to take half the season off and call it a relgious duty

Nazr did that?

ducks
06-10-2006, 11:55 AM
no nazr spent time with his wife because she had a baby and had problems
spurs gave him permission in trainging camp

it will hurt though because nazr never went thru training camp with spurs

clubalien
06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Yes at the begiaing of the season he has to "fast" or whatever and not eat

this causes him to be weak when he comes back

so he is out the time he is not eating and playign and then sucks when he coems back because he has to rebuild himself to playing shape

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 12:04 PM

so he is out the time he is not eating and playign and then sucks when he coems back because he has to rebuild himself to playing shape

Huh?

We had nine games in October:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/schedule/index.jsp

Most games are in the evening time. The "fast" breaks at sunset, so I don't think it was that big of a problem. It did affect him during day games though I'm sure. I think the wife thing had more of an affect then did Ramadan and fasting.

Mr. Body
06-10-2006, 01:02 PM

Yay anti-Muslim bigotry!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 01:11 PM
so ithink nazr to bulls ben to spurs

YOu think Ben Wallace to the Spurs for the midlevel exception? :lol Pass the bong.

It sucks when people are ignorant about shit. All the fasting means is that he can't eat during daylight hours. Before the sun comes up or after it comes down, he can eat as much as he wants.

Slinkyman
06-10-2006, 01:31 PM
why is everyone so high on Ben? Sheed is the better one on one defender and he was the one who had the most success on Tim last year in the Finals, Sheed > Ben plus Sheed can hit the 3 and has a decent low post game. A starting line up of Parker, Gino, Bowen, Sheed, and Tim would be killer next season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, it'd be great to have Wade in our lineup too, but I think it's safe to say you won't be seeing him or either of the Wallaces here next year.

clubalien
06-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Slinky
why because we SUCK SUCK totaly at rebounding
ben wallace can rebound

[edited in Rasheed]wallace would demand shots
we want to FEED shots into TIm and then have him dish it out for a three pointer. or want us to use our slashers manu and tony to take it to the hole

we suck at center comapretely then we do at 4 (assuming tim refuses toplay center)
that means we have for a center.

Ben wallace plays defense, he rebounds, he won't take shots away from or other players, and most importantly he cannot hit a free throw that makes him spurs materal

I think it is realsitic to want ben wallace. He is avilable there have been trade rumors. He has said he will refuse to play with flip and their GM said we will keep flip. What were chances shaq would leave a championship team like lakers. Now the problem I do see with walalce is you have 2 libalities on Ofense bowen and ben. But then again rasho isn't lighting up the board to much either. I think getting ben just proves we NEED an upgrade at the 3 spot. WHo woudl be my perfect 3. Soem one like sean elliot with nija skills. That is why when Ron Artest was avilable I wanted to go after him. He isn't avilable but I think we need someone to replace bowen espcially if you don't have a dominant scorer in there like ian.

clubalien
06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
In the end I think the most likely outcome is we sign javk because he will be cheaper. Reason we traded for nazr was to get rid of roses contract and draft picks that would cost us money. Holt won't pay anyone. So I think the question is whether ben wallace is cheaper than javk not if ben wallce is better. However if we could trade rasho we woudl be able to have both.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 03:39 PM
why is everyone so high on Ben? Sheed is the better one on one defender and he was the one who had the most success on Tim last year in the Finals, Sheed > Ben plus Sheed can hit the 3 and has a decent low post game. A starting line up of Parker, Gino, Bowen, Sheed, and Tim would be killer next season.

Sheed does guard Tim better.

In fact Timmy rapes Ben Wallace one-on-one. But...not every big guy in the league is Tim. And Ben is a top 3 defensive player in the NBA. Not to mention, Sheed is a headcase.

ChumpDumper
06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Sheed isn't a free agent.

Slinkyman
06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Sheed isn't a free agent.

He's not but we'd have to trade with Detroit to get Ben because we're not signing him for the MLE, so my thought is if we're going that route i'd rather have Sheed then Ben. It's pure fantasy of course but so is ben wallace on the spurs, i just feel Sheed is the better fit and would complement Tim with his outside shooting.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't take Sheed over Ben Wallace.

I love Rasheed's game. He's a very unerrated defender, and his offensive game is comparable to a Dirk Nowitzki. That said, he's a headcase. With him and Timmy on the floor at the same time, you'd need a mop to clean up all the whine drops.

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Hey, we're not getting Ben Wallace. The starting center next season will be Lithuanian or, um, Slovenian. Not Alabamian.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Hey, we're not getting Ben Wallace. The starting center next season will be Lithuanian or, um, Slovenian. Not Alabamian.

Listen, guy.

It's the middle of summer and we're not playing anymore. I'll be damned if you don't let me ramble about shit that will probably never happen. :madrun

Russ
06-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Would Wallace have played against Dallas?

strangeweather
06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
We should totally get Elton Brand.

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Would Wallace have played against Dallas?

That's the other aspect of this discussion I'm not following. How does Wallace enable the Spurs to play "small ball"? Aren't we on the hunt for an athletic big who can play the 4, run the floor, and rebound no matter the pace?

Aren't we?

ChumpDumper
06-10-2006, 05:33 PM
That's the other aspect of this discussion I'm not following. How does Wallace enable the Spurs to play "small ball"? Aren't we on the hunt for an athletic big who can play the 4, run the floor, and rebound no matter the pace?

Aren't we?I doubt it. We wouldn't have gone small if Pop remotely trusted his centers.

But how would Ben not fit that description?

SPARKY
06-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I think Pop trusts Radoslav to do what he's told, for the most part. Pop didn't go with his centers because that ultimately requires TD to guard Nowitzki.

mike detroit
06-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't doubt that Wallace might try his luck elsewhere next season but SA? I hope you like games that look like big ten wisconsin performances.

Russ
06-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't doubt that Wallace might try his luck elsewhere next season but SA? I hope you like games that look like big ten wisconsin performances.
True, Ben seems like more of an Eastern Conference performer. I'm afraid the Eastern Conference is becoming a bit of a dinosaur in terms of NBA title-winning potential. Sorry Shaq, Rasheed, Chaucey, Zo, Kidd and Riles. :)

Extra Stout
06-10-2006, 07:34 PM
True, Ben seems like more of an Eastern Conference performer. I'm afraid the Eastern Conference is becoming a bit of a dinosaur in terms of NBA title-winning potential. Sorry Shaq, Rasheed, Chaucey, Zo, Kidd and Riles. :)
It's not so much a dinosaur as a mayfly.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Aren't we?

We're in the hunt for an athletic perimeter guy b/c we don't have a big we can keep on the court.

Wallace is a capable big. If we had him, we wouldn't be going small-ball. Not the whole fucking game anyways.

NBA Junkie
06-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Plus, isn't KG trying to get OUT of Minny?

No! That's the media's spin on this whole situation.

KG is frustrated and he has every right to be. Kevin McHale has done an awful job as the GM. But, never once has Garnett come out and publicly demanded a trade. He loves Minnesota and would prefer to spend the rest of his career here. He's not going anywhere-yet!

At this point, McHale has to go for broke and see if he can make a deal for Iverson. Like I said, such a move could rejuvenate both players and give their respective careers the shot in the arm it desperately needs. Such a move would surely meet Garnett's approval and should be enough to convince him that owner Glen Taylor is serious about putting a winning team on the floor. Could they win a title together? Highly unlikely as the West is packed, but I will say this, it would get fannies back in the seats at Target Center where attendance has been lagging and rightfully so.

Hell, if it winds up being a failed experiment after two years, fine. Then and only then should management blow up the team and start from scratch. But, the effort has to be made to get a second star player in here or the Wolves go nowhere.

strangeweather
06-11-2006, 08:31 AM
No! That's the media's spin on this whole situation.

KG is frustrated and he has every right to be. Kevin McHale has done an awful job as the GM. But, never once has Garnett come out and publicly demanded a trade. He loves Minnesota and would prefer to spend the rest of his career here. He's not going anywhere-yet!

At this point, McHale has to go for broke and see if he can make a deal for Iverson. Like I said, such a move could rejuvenate both players and give their respective careers the shot in the arm it desperately needs. Such a move would surely meet Garnett's approval and should be enough to convince him that owner Glen Taylor is serious about putting a winning team on the floor. Could they win a title together? Highly unlikely as the West is packed, but I will say this, it would get fannies back in the seats at Target Center where attendance has been lagging and rightfully so.

Hell, if it winds up being a failed experiment after two years, fine. Then and only then should management blow up the team and start from scratch. But, the effort has to be made to get a second star player in here or the Wolves go nowhere.
What they ought to do is fire McHale and find a GM that can actually sign, draft, and trade for players that can play. How badly does the guy have to consistently screw the pooch before he gets replaced? It's like David Stern's real punishment for the Joe Smith deal was forcing you guys to keep McHale or something.

freedom&justice
06-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't take Sheed over Ben Wallace.

I love Rasheed's game. He's a very unerrated defender, and his offensive game is comparable to a Dirk Nowitzki. That said, he's a headcase. With him and Timmy on the floor at the same time, you'd need a mop to clean up all the whine drops.

Ben does quite a bit of whining himself. he doesn't whine as much as Sheed does (no one in the NBA does) but he does whine, and he's had a history of problems with his coaches.

ChumpDumper
06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
All we have to do is tell Ben we'll run some plays for him and he'll sign for the midlevel.