PDA

View Full Version : Best Spurs team to never win a championship?

BALLAHOLLIC
06-10-2006, 01:37 AM
I wont name the best team to never win a title will leave that up to you guys but I will give you a very good team who never won a title.

How about the great Spurs team of the early 80's?

This was one of the best offensive teams in NBA history . They had alot of legit players.

George Gervin
Mike Mitchell
James Silas then replaced by Johnny Moore

That tough defensive front line that consisted of the "bruise brothers"'
George Johnson
Dave Corzine
Kevin Restani
Mark Olberding
Reggie Johnson

This tough front line led the NBA in blocked shots and rebounds at one point if I remember correctly

Then Spurs pulled off a trade that sent Dave Corzine and Mark Olberding to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for 11-year veteran Artis Gilmore.

Moore was second in the league in assists,Gervin was 4th in points per game,Gilmore was first in fg%. and the Spurs as a team were second in the league in assists, rebounding, blocked shots and scoring.

Then they met the Lakers in the semifinals and lost in a close 6 game series.

After thatseries it all went downhill Gervin was traded to the Bulls and Johnny Moore got a desease which sadley ended his career.

They had one of the greatest offensive teams in NBA history and had a great team overall but just couldnt get to the next level and win a championship.

Russ
06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Nice take.

The '83 Spurs were a good team but no way they could beat the Lakers (or Celtics if they got that far).

1995 and '06 (gulp) Spurs were better. ('04 just misses the cut because Hedo Turkoglu was on the team).

SenorSpur
06-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Indeed a great team. However, if I recall that team eventually was swept by the Lakers in the '83 playoffs.

For my vote, I'd have to say the '94-95 Spurs team that lost in the WCF finals would the one. That team won 60 games and secured the best record in the league that year. It featured Rodman, Elliott, and AJ. A championship was in sight. Only to have Hakeen Olajuwon turn in one of the greatest performance in playoff history. Spurs lost 4-2. Rockets went on the defeat the Knicks for the NBA championship.

Russ
06-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Indeed a great team. However, if I recall that team eventually was swept by the Lakers in the '83 playoffs.
The Lakers beat the '83 Spurs 4-2 in the WCF. Game 6 (in SA) was a classic with Mike Mitchell missing a 15 footer at the buzzer that would have forced a Game 7 (or at least OT in Game 6) as I recall.

KEDA
06-10-2006, 11:09 AM
1979 Spurs

the phantom foul that sent us packing.

we would have won the east that year, and would have won the championship, but as we well know the zebras screwed us out of a title again. We would have been the first ABA team to make, and win the finals.

but we did that anyway, just 20 years later.