PDA

View Full Version : Heat eyes Blazers' Woods

ducks
10-14-2004, 12:58 PM
O'Neal says Jackson's book will vindicate him

By Michael Russo
Staff Writer
Posted October 14 2004

MIAMI · Shaquille O'Neal held court Wednesday at AmericanAirlines Arena, but few questions pertained to the sore hamstring that caused the 7-foot-1 center to miss practice for the first time since joining the Heat.

Instead, O'Neal offered his views on excerpts released to Sports Illustrated and Los Angeles magazine from the soon-to-be-published Phil Jackson book, The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul.

advertisement

advertisement

In the book, the former Lakers coach depicts the incessant feud between O'Neal and Lakers star Kobe Bryant, one that Jackson reveals led him to hire a therapist. Jackson discloses that he sought to trade Bryant and even consulted with O'Neal during a trip to Miami in February whether he should offer Bryant a leave of absence, something O'Neal advised against.

"I'll just wait until Phil's book comes out, and then you guys will know the truth," O'Neal said. "But just keep in mind that everything I've said over the years has been true. When it all adds together ... I'll just sit back and laugh as I read it and say, `I told you so.'''

In the book, Jackson tells of a conversation before the 2003-04 season in which Bryant warned Jackson that if O'Neal "starts saying things in the press, I'll fire back. I'm not afraid to go up against him. I've had it."

Jackson writes: "At times the pettiness between the two of them can be unbelievably juvenile. Shaquille won't allow himself to be taped before a game by Gary Vitti because he's too aligned with Kobe. Kobe won't let Chip Schaefer, Shaq's guy, tape him. Reporters aren't immune from these territorial disputes. If a writer lingers too often around one superstar's locker, he is likely to be shut out by the other."

O'Neal confessed Wednesday: "A lot of stuff like that may go on. But I was taught how to use psychological warfare by the best psychologist, Phil Jackson. He was a great guy, and a lot of stuff that went on between me and [Jackson] was orchestrated by me and him to take pressure off of other people [Bryant]."

Jackson writes often about his strained relationship with Bryant: "Ask Shaq to do something and he'll say, `No, I don't want to do that.' But after a little pouting, he will do it. Ask Kobe and he'll say, `OK,' and then he will do whatever he wants."

Responding, O'Neal said: "I'm a strong-willed guy, but when it comes down to it, respect factor and order factor, I know the pecking order. [Jackson] says something sometimes. Sometimes I disagree, but you always have to listen to the boss until you're your own boss.

"When I'm general manager and coach, I ain't listening to nobody."

O'Neal's not worried about the book, saying: "I'm sure he won't have that much bad to say about me. But if he does have some bad stuff to say about me, I'll be a man and own up to them. And that's why I'm a great guy. Because I'm real. When I mess up, I mess up, and I say I mess up."

Heat eyes Blazers' Woods

The Heat reportedly has spoken to the Portland Trail Blazers about a potential trade for troubled forward Qyntel Woods, who is suspended from the team because of allegations of animal abuse and staging dog fights at his home.

Trail Blazers General Manager John Nash told The Oregonian that the Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers have contacted him, but nothing is imminent.

It is thought that a deal for Woods, a 2002 first-rounder who is set to make $1.172 million, would include center Wang Zhi-Zhi or power forward Jerome Beasley.

Heat GM Randy Pfund wouldn't confirm the report. Asked about the dog-fighting allegations, Pfund said: "I know it, but I haven't done any research on that. We're only at the point in talking to them about some interest in some of their guys, but I haven't done any added investigation into the world of dog fighting." ...

O'Neal said he hopes to practice today and play in Friday's exhibition game against Orlando in Tampa. ...

Forward Christian Laettner (back spasms) returned to practice after missing a week. Guard Keyon Dooling missed practice with a sore calf.

Staff Writer Ira Winderman contributed to this report.