PDA

View Full Version : all about tips

pawe
06-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Hey guys, im new here in the USA and i just want to know how much do you usually tip for:
restaurants
barbers
bellboys
strippers
vallets
...and do you always have to tip for every service?

KEDA
06-11-2006, 06:44 PM
just be sure that when you valet your car you need to tip as well

MannyisGod is the resident expert about tipping, you should ask him

ZStomp
06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make sh*t.
Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money, she can quit.
Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a f****g Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you never ever tip, huh?
Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.
Mr. Blue: Hey, this girl was nice.
Mr. Pink: She was okay. But she wasn't anything special.
Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and **** your ****?
Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that

and later

Mr. Pink: I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's fu***d up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government f***s in the a** on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullsh*t I got two words for that: learn to f**in' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f**in' surprise.

http://www.muda.org/writings/images/20030201_tipping/buscemi_pink.jpg

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
food service - 15% minimum. I tip o nthe whole bill, food and alcohol. Some people only tip on the food.
I tip 18% -22% on averrage tho for excellent service.

barbers - $3-$6. depending. Even tho I as a women have more hair thne my husband, we usually tip his barber more since his ahir is particuarly hard to cut. it;s super thick and it gorws weird. Hel;s been fucked over at the barbers plenty of times.

bellboy - I've always tipped $1 per bag. someone let me know if that is wrong.

pawe
06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
thanks for the "tips" about tipping =)
coz where i come from, we dont tip at all so this is all new to me.

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 07:18 PM
restaurants:min 15% at a minimum.... but will tip up to 35% if the person is really bad ass...otherwise 17-15% is norm.
bartenders: depends on how i'm drinking.. like if i know i'm going to be there for a while, then if i order a beer, say 2.50, then i give the bartender(ess) a $5 on the first drink...if it is something on rocks and say like 4-5 bucks, then i give them a $10... even though it is a couple bucks theyusually they remember me and i can get the rest of my drinks asap and only have to tip like a buck per drink... however, if i run a tab and only have to spend like $15-20 bucks bc my liquor drinks were so strong, then i double it as well...
barbers: man, i had to stop going to barbers bc they only knew how to shave my fucking head...pissed me off.. now, i go to a lady and her cut is like $16, so i give her like 5 bucks extra...
bellboys: shit, i can carry my own stuff! haha... actually, i would like to say that, but yeah, $1 per bag if a lot, or 2-3 bucks if only 1 or 2 bags... would feel bad if the dude had to go all the way to my room for $2.
strippers: haven't been to one in a looooooong time... but it depended on how they acted...
vallets: :lol for the past couple years when i hear the word valet.... i just lmao!

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
when oberto was at the westin last summer, no one wanted to wait on him bc he wouldn't tip... i blame that on the spurs...they need to give the foreign players a crash course on the usa...

when the pistons were at the westin, most just didn't tip bc they were assholes... that is what a dude i know who works there told me...

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 07:22 PM
18% at a restaurant. 15% is only acceptable if your 16 years old and taking some chick out to eat that you're trying to nail.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, im new here in the USA and i just want to know how much do you usually tip for:
restaurants
barbers
bellboys
strippers
vallets

+About 5 bucks if it's under 50. About 10 if it's over.
+About 3-5 bucks. But I have this one guy now who does me good for 20 each time.
+Cheap, 2-3 bucks maybe.
+No tip. If she's real good at the end of the night give her a 10 or 20, that's it.
+I don't do vallet. Park your own car you lazy bastard.

No, you don't tip for every service. In fact, you hardly have to tip. Well I don't.

jman3000
06-11-2006, 07:30 PM
ez tip calculator on my phone... all day long.

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:31 PM
+About 5 bucks if it's under 50. About 10 if it's over.

wtf???

what restaurants do you eat at? so I can circulate your avitar pic as a warning.

cheap bastard.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:33 PM
wtf???

what restaurants do you eat at? so I can circulate your avitar pic as a warning.

cheap bastard.

:D

I said about, man.

If I go out with a girl and the bills like 35, I'll leave 40. If it's 15, I'll leave 20. If it's closer to 50 like 45...I'll leave 55. I think that's reasonable. If it's that big of a deal, tell me...I'll go to the kitchen and bring the tray to myself. :elephant

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 07:35 PM
dude, i know this guy who makes about 90k a year and NEVER tips... it pisses me the fuck off.. luckily, i only see him once every few years... but when we do go out i usually tip the waitress for the both of us...AND..he is the worst customer there is...always asking for shit, loud, etc... you know the type

pawe
06-11-2006, 07:38 PM
what we usually do in our country is leave the coins behind and take just the bills..

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:39 PM
you said under 50 - you;d leave about $5.
thats pretty much indicating that if the bill were $43 you would leave $5 ... thats barley 11%

if the bill was $55 and you were to leave your "about" $10.... well, thats fine.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:41 PM
you said under 50 - you;d leave about $5.
thats pretty much indicating that if the bill were $43 you would leave $5 ... thats barley 11%

if the bill was $55 and you were to leave your "about" $10.... well, thats fine.

You think waiters deserve that much?

They're waiting about 4-5 tables an hour, you think they deserve like $50+ an hour just for refilling your drinks and carrying a tray? Damn...I should drop out and work at Zios. :D

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:42 PM
what we usually do in our country is leave the coins behind and take just the bills..

Hahah, at least you leave the coins.

I'm Pakistani man...we have no concept of tipping.

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 07:42 PM

They're waiting about 4-5 tables an hour, you think they deserve like $50+ an hour just for refilling your drinks and carrying a tray? Damn...I should drop out and work at Zios. :D

i guess you have never been a waiter... great job while in school...

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:44 PM

so what country are you from?

somethign you may or maynot know about food servers in the US is that most are paid $2.15 an hour by thier employer. the minimum wage is $5.15 - which is a really shitty amount and they don;t even get that.
They survive on tips.
Also the majority of them get $0 on thier paychecks since most of thier $2.15 per hour has been witheld to pay the fed taxes on the guesstimated amount they earned in tips.

EX: if you waited on X amount of tables in one night and thier food tabs totaled $871 then the employer would guess that you had recieved a minimum of $104 (12%) in tips. he would add that to the "wages" you earned and withold the appriate tax from your check.

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:47 PM

you think it;s that fucking easy?
it ain't.
hitting all the points of service with each table, makeing sure all the orders are cooked on time and hte way the customer wants, keeping up with your entire section, co-ordinating the whole thing.,
Plus you have all kinds of cleanign duties beofre and after your shift that you are not getting tips for.
plus there are plenty off assholes out there who don;t tip.
or only tip $1 per person at the table.
or only tip $1 per $10 they spent.
and they sit and take up your table for a fucking hour and half.

yes PDBM - maybe you should get a job at Zios. learn a bit.

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
however, with tips, they can average over 10 per hour.. and bartending is where it is at in food service... i usually made 5.25-7.25 plus tips! sweet while in college..

and oh yeah, the waitstaff also has to tip out the bartender

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
You know, I have so many tourists come in and are amazed that I am so well spoken. They have the nerve to ask why I don't do something else. I mean, I probably will soon, but they don't realize that we probably make more then they do, despite the fact we make 2.13 an hour. Besides, any retard can wait tables. Except people coming from telemarketing. Those people really are idiots when it comes to dealing with people face-to-face.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:53 PM
you think it;s that fucking easy?
it ain't.
hitting all the points of service with each table, makeing sure all the orders are cooked on time and hte way the customer wants, keeping up with your entire section, co-ordinating the whole thing.,
Plus you have all kinds of cleanign duties beofre and after your shift that you are not getting tips for.
plus there are plenty off assholes out there who don;t tip.
or only tip $1 per person at the table.
or only tip $1 per $10 they spent.
and they sit and take up your table for a fucking hour and half.

yes PDBM - maybe you should get a job at Zios. learn a bit.

Nobody's forcing them to work there.

Why should I be obligated to help them survive? I think $5-10 for my table is more than enough. If they have a "whole section they have to take care of" like you say...than multiply that $5-10 by the number of tables and I think they make a reasonable amoutn per night.

I do just as much shit as they do, I have "cleaning duties", I make sure shits running right...I don't get tipped. But I don't expect other people to help me survive either.

If it's too much trouble for them, tell them to go apply at West Telemarketing. :princess

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 07:54 PM
You know, I have so many tourists come in and are amazed that I am so well spoken. They have the nerve to ask why I don't do something else. I mean, I probably will soon, but they don't realize that we probably make more then they do, despite the fact we make 2.13 an hour. Besides, any retard can wait tables. Except people coming from telemarketing. Those people really are idiots when it comes to dealing with people face-to-face.

lol, odd....i didn't see this telemarketing reference until i already posted.

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Why should I be obligated to help them survive? I think $5-10 for my table is more than enough. If they have a "whole section they have to take care of" like you say...than multiply that $5-10 by the number of tables and I think they make a reasonable amoutn per night.

I do just as much shit as they do, I have "cleaning duties", I make sure shits running right...I don't get tipped. But I don't expect other people to help me survive either.

If it's too much trouble for them, tell them to go apply at West Telemarketing. :princess

When you go oput ot eat at a sit down service restaurant. Yes you are expected to pay for that service. you pay the kitchen for the food and you pay the serveers tips for the service.

if you don't thinkthey should gewt that pament then go eat at Luby's.
Don;t take thier service and then not pay the appropriate amount for it.
Applbee's an outback have car side to go - I guess thats taoilor made for you.
Otherwise just stick to fast food.
You can't go to a sit down service restaurant and not pay for that service.

this isn;t about "if" servers should get thier $$. thats a fucking given for most normal people. the conversation here is "how much".

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 07:58 PM
For the record, I'd never work at a dump like Zio's or any other local restaurant. Graduation parties, prom dates, birthday dinners, and college kids on a budget? No thanks.

Locals and euro trash are the worst tippers. Especially when you bartend. Atleast locals are nice though. I take that back, upper class women from Mexico are the worst.

DannyT
06-11-2006, 07:58 PM

this dumb ass shows his wits more and more everyday ....my mother was a waitress for about 30 years ...doin all the hot spots in her prime from the riverwalk ballers to alamo heights snobs....and to to say four or five tables an hour is lame....maybe on a slow night....or maybe that is all you can handle...
do you think makin 200 plus dollars a night some from your lame dick two dollar tips and just "REFILLING" drinks all night....
and NO JUST STAY YOUR PUSSY ASS IN SCHOOL breakin your back everyday of the night puttin up with tons of RETARDED people(likeyourself), strange demands, and non-tippers(again like yourself) isnt for punk ass chester the molester type folks such as yourself...these cats get paid like three dollars an hour and make their money off of tips you ass...i agree with the others 15+ dependin on service...and i agree with my moms the drunker you get them the better the tips... :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 07:59 PM
For the record, I'd never work at a dump like Zio's or any other local restaurant. Graduation parties, prom dates, birthday dinners, and college kids on a budget? No thanks.

Locals and euro trash are the worst tippers. Especially when you bartend. Atleast locals are nice though. I take that back, upper class women from Mexico are the worst.

agreed.

DannyT
06-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Obi...you beat me too it girl ....but the same story from this many people only shows how lame this cat really is...he keeps showin his wits day in and day out....this might be a summer not to forget....

i think i am done wastin my knowlegde with this lame duck fuck....

pawe
06-11-2006, 08:05 PM
so what country are you from?

somethign you may or maynot know about food servers in the US is that most are paid $2.15 an hour by thier employer. the minimum wage is $5.15 - which is a really shitty amount and they don;t even get that.
They survive on tips.
Also the majority of them get $0 on thier paychecks since most of thier $2.15 per hour has been witheld to pay the fed taxes on the guesstimated amount they earned in tips.

EX: if you waited on X amount of tables in one night and thier food tabs totaled $871 then the employer would guess that you had recieved a minimum of $104 (12%) in tips. he would add that to the "wages" you earned and withold the appriate tax from your check.

im from the philippines and the waiters there are paid around 350 pesos ($5-6) per DAY. thinking about it right now, i dont even know how a waiter in our country would survive coz his salary is so small and doesnt get any tip at all..and that would be his full time job

exstatic
06-11-2006, 08:05 PM
restaurants 15%, hey food has gone WAY up, so they're making more.
barbers usually a buck or two unless it's the holidays. That is on an $11 haircut.
bellboys buck a bag, same as skycaps.
strippers whatever fits into the g-string.
vallets usually 3-4 bucks here in SA.
...and do you always have to tip for every service? Not if it's bad.

pawe
06-11-2006, 08:09 PM
what about taxis?

billboardbill
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I always tip good at a restaurant, because I know they depend on the tips for wages. I never tip my hairdresser, they charge good prices and besides I don't get tipped at my job. The only people I tip are restaurants or if places I know they depend on the tips for wages, like hotels, etc.

Kori Ellis
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
restaurants - 20% unless the service is bad
barbers - well I'm female but I tip a lot at the hair salon
bellboys - $2-3
strippers - :lol
valets - $2-4

Kori Ellis
06-11-2006, 08:11 PM
what about taxis?

10-15%

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 08:12 PM
When you go oput ot eat at a sit down service restaurant. Yes you are expected to pay for that service. you pay the kitchen for the food and you pay the serveers tips for the service.

if you don't thinkthey should gewt that pament then go eat at Luby's.
Don;t take thier service and then not pay the appropriate amount for it.
Applbee's an outback have car side to go - I guess thats taoilor made for you.
Otherwise just stick to fast food.
You can't go to a sit down service restaurant and not pay for that service.

this isn;t about "if" servers should get thier $$. thats a fucking given for most normal people. the conversation here is "how much".

I'm not saying they shouldn't be tipped.

But you make it sound like $5-10 is nothing. I think that's more than enough.

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 08:14 PM

15% is the minimum.

pawe
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
very educational replies..i actually got excited to go out tonight and tip the night away lol

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 08:16 PM
this dumb ass shows his wits more and more everyday ....my mother was a waitress for about 30 years ...doin all the hot spots in her prime from the riverwalk ballers to alamo heights snobs....and to to say four or five tables an hour is lame....maybe on a slow night....or maybe that is all you can handle...
do you think makin 200 plus dollars a night some from your lame dick two dollar tips and just "REFILLING" drinks all night....
and NO JUST STAY YOUR PUSSY ASS IN SCHOOL breakin your back everyday of the night puttin up with tons of RETARDED people(likeyourself), strange demands, and non-tippers(again like yourself) isnt for punk ass chester the molester type folks such as yourself...these cats get paid like three dollars an hour and make their money off of tips you ass...i agree with the others 15+ dependin on service...and i agree with my moms the drunker you get them the better the tips... :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk

Listen man, fuck you.

I don't what the fuck your problem is, but get off my dick. Seriously. You went from being somebody I had cordial conversations about the next Bball meet, to somebody who saw everyone else hating on me and decided it was the cool thing to do. Get a fucking life, seriously you stupid piece of shit. Now fuck off.

And to answer your post, that's great your mom was a waiter. Tipping more than 5-10 bucks is just retarded. Unless it's some really upscale restaurant...which wouldn't apply because they include gratuity.

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 08:16 PM

From what you say, you sound like a decent tipper. Not the greatest, but hey, atleast your're not dropping 2 bucks on a 50 dollar tab like some cops I had in today.

ObiwanGinobili
06-11-2006, 08:17 PM
very educational replies..i actually got excited to go out tonight and tip the night away lol

LOL!
also - tipping usually guarentees you above an beyond service if you frequent certain establishments enough.

the only place I think tipping gets out of hand is on cruise ships. :lol

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
LOL!
also - tipping usually guarentees you above an beyond service if you frequent certain establishments enough.

I need to get me on one of those.

Please_dont_ban_me
15% is the minimum.

15% of 50 is $7.50.

I said I would tip "about" 5 bucks. Hah, why am I getting lectured. =(

MannyIsGod
For food it really depends on where I'm at. Unless the waitstaff pisses me off, they're going to get at least 20%. However, at our Sushi place, I tip more because the guys there really take care of us and it is very appreciated.

For haircuts, I don't tip unless I receieve a good haircut. Then it just depends, but no more than five.

Vallets shouldn't be tipped if you have to pay for the service. If you're dropping 10 bucks for the parking, don't worry about it. However, if it is a complimentary vallet, tip at least 2 bucks. I tip a few bucks more and use them if possible because I know what its like.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
From what you say, you sound like a decent tipper. Not the greatest, but hey, atleast your're not dropping 2 bucks on a 50 dollar tab like some cops I had in today.

Cops are notoriously shitty tippers.

It's like you should pay them for gracing your store with there presence. :rolleyes

MannyIsGod
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
And yeah, people who don't tip get remembered. It is really shitty when you tip poorly. What difference does a couple of extra bucks make you?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 08:20 PM
LOL!

This is true.

Strippers start to gravitate to your table. :elephant

Jekka
06-11-2006, 08:21 PM
My friends and I have all gone out with guys that don't tip well, and it does reflect very poorly on the guy's character when he does that.

DannyT
i was never really sure about tips for bellboys..thanks
barbers get about 3-5 dollars(dependin on the fade) since i get a cut every week
but a weird thing i do is i have to round out my bills so whatever the tip i leave i have to give them the change so its and straight dollar amount....cooky but i dont know where i got that from ....

ZStomp

It's like you should pay them for gracing your store with there presence. :rolleyes

You should!!

:lmao

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 08:22 PM

But hey, they did manage to get the meal comped and a phone number from one of out hostesses, that's what really matters I guess.

ZStomp
06-11-2006, 08:23 PM
But hey, they did manage to get the meal comped and a phone number from one of out hostesses, that's what really matters I guess.

Hell ya!

Now thats what I'm talking about!

CharlieMac
06-11-2006, 08:23 PM
It's rough dining out with the ghetto side of the family. I have to make up for thier 50 cent tips out of my own pocket.

Pistons < Spurs
06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I've waited tables. I know what the job entails. I never leave less than 20% unless it was truly crappy service. For great service I've often left over 50%.

Haircuts are usually $14 or $15 for me, and I typically drop a $20 and let them keep the change.

jman3000
06-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Wow... don't I feel like a shitty tipper... I've been going to the same barber for about 19 of my 21 years. Ever since I was little my father would always tip the barber a dollar... and I just learned from him and did the same... I can't explain it because it's a first name basis all around and we're good friends with all the barbers there. My father and my grandfather having been going there for at least 30 years... guess I should adjust for inflation : /

Please_dont_ban_me
06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
I've waited tables. I know what the job entails. I never leave less than 20% unless it was truly crappy service. For great service I've often left over 50%.

Haircuts are usually $14 or $15 for me, and I typically drop a $20 and let them keep the change.

Haircuts are really important for me.

I used to get them at Fantastic Sams, and paid about $15 including tips. But it wasn't all that great, and they always seemed like they were in a hurry to get to the next guy. :rolleyes I recently found this barber who will do me at his apartment, and I end up giving him 20 for cuts but I do it gladly b/c he takes his sweet time doing it and I leave happy with how he's done it.

So, moral of the story...become a barber in my neighborhood. :drunk

DannyT
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Listen man, fuck you.

And to answer your post, that's great your mom was a waiter. Tipping more than 5-10 bucks is just retarded. Unless it's some really upscale restaurant...which wouldn't apply because they include gratuity.

and please IF YOU DO ever go to one of these resturants PLEEEEEASE tell me what the percentage of the gratuity is.....15 +.....

and no she was WAITRESS bitch....GUYS ARE WAITERS......GIRLS ARE WAITRESS'

and that was the first thread of yours i ahd ever read and the second was the DUMBASS madden tourney that never happened and if you do go back that you will see that I TRUELY HATED ON YOU.....THANKS....where do you like to eat so i can go spit in your food

CharlieMac
I get my haircut at that place at Crossroads Mall next to Burlington with that asian family. I tip like 3 on a 10 dollar haircut. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing when it comes to hair tipping.

Pistons < Spurs
I recently found this barber who will do me at his apartment, and I end up giving him 20
:lol :lol

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 08:29 PM
no shit...i was laughing at that too!

jman3000
06-11-2006, 08:30 PM
his haircuts come with a happy ending

Clandestino
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
"would you like any gel in your hair?" has a different meaning for him!

DannyT
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Haircuts are really important for me.

II recently found this barber who will do me at his apartment, and I end up giving him 20 for cuts but I do it gladly b/c he takes his sweet time doing it and I leave happy with how he's done it.

wheres that THIS POST IS RATED GAY picture at!!!!

ShoogarBear
06-11-2006, 08:40 PM
his haircuts come with a happy ending
:rollin

PinkBunny
06-11-2006, 09:30 PM
I recently found this barber who will do me at his apartment, and I end up giving him 20

I appreciate your buisness.

Rainbow Bunny
06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
wheres that THIS POST IS RATED GAY picture at!!!!

got'cho back.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/MrsTlong/AsGay.jpg

kingsfan
06-11-2006, 09:43 PM
If you're a bad tipper, you will be remembered and when you come back, the service will suck and you probably don't want to know what they do to the food.

Mr Dio
06-11-2006, 10:05 PM
bellboys - $2-3
valets - $2-4

BINGO!
Finally someone mentioned it. I could never be so stupid & naive to tip more than 10%-ish when service is bad. Many Service Industry people (Bartenders/Servers) think they are due a tip no matter how bad their service is. I can go into a place in my typical shorts & tshirt & have some bimbo/himbo treat their regulars like royalty & chat for 10min before walking over to take my order like they were walking to the electric chair. IF a person treats me right they get at least 20%. If my bill is $20-30 & I've ate/drank quite a bit & they did me right they're getting much more than 20%.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 12:30 AM
and please IF YOU DO ever go to one of these resturants PLEEEEEASE tell me what the percentage of the gratuity is.....15 +.....

and no she was WAITRESS bitch....GUYS ARE WAITERS......GIRLS ARE WAITRESS'

and that was the first thread of yours i ahd ever read and the second was the DUMBASS madden tourney that never happened and if you do go back that you will see that I TRUELY HATED ON YOU.....THANKS....where do you like to eat so i can go spit in your food

Aww, you hated on me...how cute.

Would you like me to bust a nut in your face now? I'll tip you good, I promise.

Nbadan
06-12-2006, 01:19 AM
I even tip the servers at Fiesta Texas. Talk about unlimited free refills!!

Mr Dio
06-12-2006, 06:25 AM
My friends and I have all gone out with guys that don't tip well, and it does reflect very poorly on the guy's character when he does that.

:lol

SpursWoman
06-12-2006, 07:55 AM
bellboys - $2-3
valets - $2-4

:tu

I just had to leave a $35 tip at the hair dressers...but that was 25%, rounded up. I don't fuck around with people who mess with scissors around my head if I ever plan to go back. :wow :lol

billboardbill
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
If I had to tip my hairdresser $35.00 to get a good cut, then I'd find somewhere else to go, there are plenty of others who do a good job........

SpursWoman
06-12-2006, 09:01 AM
I had a little more than just a haircut. :lol

leemajors
06-12-2006, 09:28 AM

those people are making probably $2.35 an hour. try waiting tables sometime, asshole. putting up with waiting on people like you makes life hell. leaving a good tip can make someone's day, i learned that from my fiancee. she outraeously overtips because she knows from experience how it makes someone feel when they get stiffed.

j-6
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
those people are making probably $2.35 an hour. try waiting tables sometime, asshole.

$2.13, actually.

Asking politely for items, and making use of "please" and "thank you", goes a long way too.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said 15% is for high school dates. If you can't tip at least 20% for good service or at a place you regularly visit you should either hit a drive-thru or cook at home.

leemajors
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
ahh ok some people at my last job got raises to $2.35 after a year... haha what a raise!

CharlieMac
06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
$2.13, actually.

Asking politely for items, and making use of "please" and "thank you", goes a long way too.

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said 15% is for high school dates. If you can't tip at least 20% for good service or at a place you regularly visit you should either hit a drive-thru or cook at home.

You know, you're absloutely right there. You'd be suprised how much please "please" and "thank you" mean to a person who does this shit everyday. I've had people who dont eat out much (which is fine because growing up my parents never took us out to a restaurant so they had no idea how to tip either) and they may leave a buck and change, but it really doesnt matter when they are so nice.

pache100
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
how much do you usually tip for:
restaurants
barbers
bellboys
strippers
vallets

Restaurants: 15%-20% depending on the service; I'm generally a good tipper because I'm so thankful I never had to do that kind of work...but I think you are doing a dis-service to the waiter and the restaurant if you leave a good tip for lousy service...you take care of me, I'll take care of you; you screw me, no tip (always leave a quarter for exceptionally poor service...it's a code for waiters...if you don't leave anything, they can always convince themselves you just forgot)

Barbers: I tip my hairdresser $5 for a haircut (that's the only thing I do at a salon, and I've been going to the same salon/hairdresser for over 20 years) that costs $30; at my appointment closest to Christmas, I give him $10.

Bellboys: Don't generally use them. My suitcase has wheels and I only carry one, so I do it myself. The only time I will allow anyone to carry my bag to the room is if the room is not ready when I check in and I leave it with a baggage check desk. In that case, if a bellman brings the bag, I tip $2 per bag. I don't generally use a skycap at the airport, either. If I do, I tip $2 per bag. I tip rental car or hotel shuttle drivers $2 per bag if they get my bag in and out (some do, some don't).

Strippers: Last time I went to a male revue, it was in Vegas. I wasn't close enough to tip anyone. The only other time I have been to a male strip club was when LaBare was on Fredericksburg Rd. There were 5 of us at our table and we tipped $1 each when a dancer came to our table.

Valets: Don't use 'em.

Car wash: I tip $3 at a full service carwash (for which I have an annual pass so the individual washes cost me nothing at the time) for vacuuming, drying my Ford Ranger, washing the windows inside, dusting the dash, and dressing the tires. If the truck is really buggy or dirty for some reason, I will tip $4. If, and this is rare any more, they back the truck off the edge of the berm and drain the bed of the pickup, they get $5. I will not ask them to do that, but I appreciate it when they do because it keeps my chrome bumper from having water streaks.

And, do you always have to tip for every single service?

IMO, yes, if you want good service. Good service is just like everything else in life...you get what you pay for. If you don't get good service, let them know through the tip.

Jimcs50
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
restaurants
barbers
bellboys
strippers
vallets

restaurants-20% of bill, but always at least 2 bucks.
barbers $5
bellboys $5
strippers never been with one.

:angel
vallets $2-$3

TheTruth
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM

TheTruth
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
restaurants - if the food isn't good I'll just give them a pointer or two on how to make it better.
barbers - same with a haircut, sometimes they fade it too high, and i'll just let them know afterwards.
bellboys - always lift with your knees
strippers - never put your knees into the groin.
vallets - go real slow

pache100
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
restaurants - if the food isn't good I'll just give them a pointer or two on how to make it better.

You shouldn't blame the quality of the food on the waiter; they have nothing to do with that, no control. The only time anything to do with the food should be blamed on the waiter is if your food is cold when you get it (that probably means he/she left it sitting). Tips to waiters should be based on the service they provide only. If you have a problem with the food, you should see the manager or ask to speak with the cook or chef. You would be surprised how many times this will get you a free meal or coupons for next time. But, it's NOT the waiter's fault. And, only complain if there is truly something wrong with the food (not just to get freebies).

And I do realize you were trying to be funny. My comments were for the thread starter.

MrChug
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
The rule of thumb is that if you've done what they're doing (at some point in your life) you'll know it's not an easy job, you get paid squat, you'll respect them more and you'll tip well. With that said, if you get so-so service, you're more apt to get pi$$ed and leave a crappy tip. It comes with the territory.

Personally, I'm not hard to satisfy...I love tipping big, but if you shaft me I'm not only liable to skip the tip, but speak to a manager if I feel it's bad enough. Maybe it's just me...

jcrod
06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I always tip 20% at restaurants, unless they're horribly bad then I leave a quater.

Barber, well I always tip my guy $3, thats because he always takes his time, he charges $12 for the haircut so thats 25%.

I don't do vallets (1-2 if its free to service), bellboys, strippers or taxis.

cherylsteele
06-12-2006, 08:29 PM

It ain't like Mickey D's were you go get the food yourself......you are requesting someone to bring it to you when you go to a sit-down restaurant.

If they went to work at West they would be calling you at the wrong time and you would still have a problem with that and then you'd tell them to work somewhere else and so on.

Das Texan
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
resturaunts: 15-20%...flucuates depending on level of service, i have left as little as 2 pennies and as much as 30% or so. I hate having to tip at a buffet though, that shit pisses me off, they get a buck. Which is still nice.
barber: 2 bucks on an 8 buck cut.
valets: i dont use that shit.
bellboys: rarely use them but a buck a bag, same for skycabs at the airport.
taxis: dont really use em, would tip depending on quality of the ride.

Overall, I think we have gotten to where we are expected to tip for everything though, at one time service was expected in the product you paid for, now thats not the case. I'm waiting for the day when you are going to be expected to tip the bank teller for giving you your money. Tipping at a car wash annoys me, I dont think those fucks make less than min wage and in reality the service of getting your damn car washed, cleaned, dried etc, should be included in teh price of said car wash. But thats just me. But what are you gonna do? I wanna get tipped when I provide service to people....oh well.

pache100
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Personally, I'm not hard to satisfy...I love tipping big, but if you shaft me I'm not only liable to skip the tip, but speak to a manager if I feel it's bad enough. Maybe it's just me...

I'm not that hard to satisfy, either. I'll put up with a lot when it comes to poor service; the food has to be top notch or I will send it back, but that is no reflection on the waiter. I am more likely to speak to a manager if I get super great service that if I get bad service (it has to be REALLY bad for me to seek out a manager). You'd be surprised how often that will get you coupons for next time, too. I will also go to chain restaurants' websites and send in evaluations or email them when I get exceptionally good service. And, that's in addition to leaving a super tip.

I hate having to tip at a buffet though, that shit pisses me off, they get a buck.

I don't usually tip at a buffet. However, we (Mom, sis, and I) eat frequently at the Golden Corral in Universal City. There is a waitress there that takes especially good care of us when we go there. She is right on top of things; she brings us plenty of plates and checks with us several times during our meal to make sure we don't need anything. We are big iced tea drinkers, and we usually go on Saturday for lunch after doing yardwork all morning, so we are really thirsty; she will bring us a pitcher of unsweetened tea and leave it on our table just for us. We really appreciate that, it's convenient for us and it saves her some steps. We usually tip her 1 or 2 dollars apiece. That's a nice tip for a buffet restaurant waitress. Most people don't tip them at all.

SpursWoman
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
I hate having to tip at a buffet though, that shit pisses me off, they get a buck. Which is still nice.

They still take away the used plates and refill your drinks. I always leave a dollar or two. Well, I'll leave a couple of dollars if there aren't used plates all over the table and I had to beg for a drink refill. :spin

pache100
06-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Tipping at a car wash annoys me, I dont think those fucks make less than min wage and in reality the service of getting your damn car washed, cleaned, dried etc, should be included in teh price of said car wash. But thats just me. But what are you gonna do? I wanna get tipped when I provide service to people....oh well.

I disagree with that. That's another job I'm soooo thankful I never had to resort to doing. What a thankless job! I can't believe some of the stuff those guys and gals have to put up with out of rude, picky customers. And the HEAT! All kinds of bad weather. I really appreciate my annual carwash pass (it's what my Mom gives us for Christmas every year, carrying on the tradition that my Dad started) so that I don't have to wash my truck myself and I can go anytime and as often as I want. If they do an above average job (and most of the ones at my carwash do), I sure as heck don't mind tipping them a few bucks.

SpursWoman
06-13-2006, 08:32 AM
I have a feeling if I ever took my car to be *professionally* cleaned, I'd have to leave a tip greater than the value of my car.

My car has been through 2 toddlers ... and it shows. :lol

pache100
06-13-2006, 08:44 AM
I have a feeling if I ever took my car to be *professionally* cleaned, I'd have to leave a tip greater than the value of my car.

My car has been through 2 toddlers ... and it shows. :lol

That's the beauty of having a pass; you get discounts on all services, including detailing. My old Mazda truck was in pretty bad shape inside when I got my first pass as a Christmas gift. I took that sucker in there and got a complete (all day) inside/outside detail job done and got it waxed. Then, I just use the pass to get it washed each week (or more often if I want) and all it costs me on the spot is the tip. Cool! I love my carwash pass!

CavsSuperFan
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
People I like to tip...Leave a card with cash at Christmas...

1-The garbage men... (I have done this for years & if I leave my containers in the back yard, they brave through my dogs & empty them...
2-My gardeners...(100 degree heat mowing lawns, trimming tress, pulling weeds, these guys work hard)...I leave a refrigerator in the garage where they can get Gatorade, ice water or beer...Plus I tip them at Christmas...
3-The mail carrier... (I never have to go to the post office to look for lost mail or packages)...

I don’t like to feel that I have to tip for terrible service....
Restaurants - 20% if the service is good...

Please_dont_ban_me
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
It ain't like Mickey D's were you go get the food yourself......you are requesting someone to bring it to you when you go to a sit-down restaurant.

If they went to work at West they would be calling you at the wrong time and you would still have a problem with that and then you'd tell them to work somewhere else and so on.

:)

I used to work for West. Go figure, right. :king

gay abc
06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
:tu

I just had to leave a $35 tip at the hair dressers...but that was 25%, rounded up. I don't fuck around with people who mess with scissors around my head if I ever plan to go back. :wow :lol

damn.... i going BACK to the beauty school and graduate this time

SpursWoman
06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
damn.... i going BACK to the beauty school and graduate this time

And if you didn't already have a SO, I'd tell you that there are some seriously good looking men who work at that salon.

turambar85
06-13-2006, 04:00 PM
When I have the money, I usually tip around 25%. But, it depends on the event. When we went to prom a couple years ago I tipped 45 dollars on a 40-50 dollar order(bad memory) because it was a good night, and I wasnt sure how my cheap friends would tip. Also, at applebees I have gotten to know some of the servers, and they give me free drinks and mashed potatoes, and I like the apps which are 1/2 price so the ticket is small. Usually me and my fiancee only have a 9-10 dollar tab there, so I top about 7-10 dollars to even things out.

gay abc
06-13-2006, 04:08 PM
And if you didn't already have a SO, I'd tell you that there are some seriously good looking men who work at that salon.

:lol

you should see the cute male students out at UTHSCSA dental school - they have this oral thing going on :angel

pache100
06-14-2006, 08:40 AM
When I have the money, I usually tip around 25%. But, it depends on the event. When we went to prom a couple years ago I tipped 45 dollars on a 40-50 dollar order(bad memory) because it was a good night, and I wasnt sure how my cheap friends would tip. Also, at applebees I have gotten to know some of the servers, and they give me free drinks and mashed potatoes, and I like the apps which are 1/2 price so the ticket is small. Usually me and my fiancee only have a 9-10 dollar tab there, so I top about 7-10 dollars to even things out.

When my friend worked at Chili's, she would comp us the chips and salsa and sometimes our iced tea. We paid the same amount we would have if she'd charged us for those items, so she got the difference in tips. There are several places we go that we have favorite waiters who won't charge us for drinks and we give them that amount in their tip.

Also, we have gotten in the habit of ordering from the kids' menu when the restaurant allows it (some have age restrictions). We do this at Chili's and at Fuddruckers. You get pretty much the same thing (smaller portions of fries, which is a good thing) as you get on the adult orders, but it's like half the cost. Sure makes your bill a lot less, you don't sit there and try to stuff all that food down, and you don't have much leftovers. At a lot of places we go, the child's menu has quite a variety, is inexpensive, and the portions are plenty for us three old ladies. When your bill is not so high (and the waiter doesn't give you a hard time about ordering from the kids' menu), it's easier to leave a generous tip!

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
When my friend worked at Chili's, she would comp us the chips and salsa and sometimes our iced tea. We paid the same amount we would have if she'd charged us for those items, so she got the difference in tips. There are several places we go that we have favorite waiters who won't charge us for drinks and we give them that amount in their tip.

Also, we have gotten in the habit of ordering from the kids' menu when the restaurant allows it (some have age restrictions). We do this at Chili's and at Fuddruckers. You get pretty much the same thing (smaller portions of fries, which is a good thing) as you get on the adult orders, but it's like half the cost. Sure makes your bill a lot less, you don't sit there and try to stuff all that food down, and you don't have much leftovers. At a lot of places we go, the child's menu has quite a variety, is inexpensive, and the portions are plenty for us three old ladies. When your bill is not so high (and the waiter doesn't give you a hard time about ordering from the kids' menu), it's easier to leave a generous tip!

:tu Good tip.
I've done that, and another thing we do alot is split a plate. Actually we split a plate about 70% of the time. Especially at Denny's or IHOP breakfasts.
If we are feeling really hungry we will get an appetizer and then split a plate.
Saves $$ and stops you from wasting food.

btw- 25 posts to go. :elephant

Gatita
06-14-2006, 10:37 AM
:tu Good tip.
I've done that, and another thing we do alot is split a plate. Actually we split a plate about 70% of the time. Especially at Denny's or IHOP breakfasts.
If we are feeling really hungry we will get an appetizer and then split a plate.
Saves $$ and stops you from wasting food.

btw- 25 posts to go. :elephant

We do that as well.

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2006, 10:39 AM
We do that as well.

we should do that together :spin

uhhh... in like 2 weeks. :lol

Gatita
06-14-2006, 10:42 AM
we should do that together :spin

uhhh... in like 2 weeks. :lol

California Pizza Kitchen..... :drool:

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
California Pizza Kitchen..... :drool:

:tu :p

Chica you got a date.

leemajors
06-14-2006, 12:24 PM
if you get items comped regularly, you should leave a tip at least as much as the bill would be minus comp. that's what i always do. get $20 comped off a bill, you leave at least $20. it ensures you get comped in the future =]