PDA

View Full Version : Bulls to waive Trent

ducks
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
After Bull session, Doc happy in Boston

October 14, 2004

Advertisement

Chicago native Glenn "Doc'' Rivers is living half of a dream life these days as the new coach of the Boston Celtics.

"I had several offers to coach other NBA teams after I got fired last season,'' Rivers said.

Rivers, the 2000 NBA Coach of the Year, was bounced after the injury-riddled Magic, despite having superstar Tracy McGrady, got off to a 1-10 start in his fifth season with the team.

One of the first teams to call was the Bulls, who fired Bill Cartwright after the team started 4-10. The Bulls called Rivers' agent Lonnie Cooper. But Rivers had told Cooper that he would not resume coaching until the summer. The Bulls couldn't wait. They hired Scott Skiles. The Celtics eventually fired Jim O'Brien in the middle of the season.

"When the Celtics came calling, it was a no-brainer because of their history and because of my great relationship with [operations chief] Danny Ainge,'' Rivers said. "This is the best team I've had so far in the NBA.

''With talented veterans like Paul Pierce, Gary Payton, Raef LaFrentz, Ricky Davis and Tom Gugliotta, we can score some points and we have the experience, depth, toughness and skill to defend well, too.''

As for the other half of Rivers' dream, he says he'll have to wait two years to fulfill it. He still lives in Orlando, 1,339 miles away, with wife Kris and their four children.

"I refuse to disrupt my kids' lives right now,'' Rivers said. "They're so happy with the schools and friends they've grown to know there. So I'm a commuter. I have a place in Boston, but I go back to Orlando every chance I get and they often visit me, too.''

FUTURE NBA STARS? Rivers says he got a treat this summer in Orlando watching a Chicago kid "shoot the lights out'' in an AAU game against Team Florida, which features Rivers' 16-year-old son, Jeremiah.

"I said, 'Who is that kid? He's fantastic!''' Rivers said. "He must have scored at least 30. Somebody said, 'That's John Paxson's kid.' Hey, he looked just like his father. He is really outstanding.''

Someday, Ryan, a senior playing for Lake Forest High School, and Jeremiah might also play each other in the NBA as their fathers once did.

GROWING PAINS: Paxson says that although he was not pleased with his team's play in losing its preseason opener 104-74 to the Celtics on Tuesday night, he will not panic.

"We were a young team playing disjointed minutes against a good veteran team that made the playoffs last year,'' Paxson said. "Guys like Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni and others will have to grow into some things.

''They'll figure it out and get better. I don't expect my first cuts until next week after we play our first three preseason games.''

[b]NOTES: Bulls forward Gary Trent will be waived this weekend. Sources say the 6-8, nine-year forward did not report to camp in good shape. He first was excused from camp for "personal reasons.''

*Chicago native Kendall Gill, 36, who played last year for the Bulls, has trimmed down from 230 pounds to 195. Gill is sandwiching workouts around selling real estate and waiting for a "special situation'' to entice him to play again. "Until then, I'm very busy and very happy,'' the 14-year veteran shooting guard said.

*Deng says the left foot he hurt in Tuesday's game felt much better Wednesday, the team's first day off during preseason, and he expected it to be close to normal when practice resumes this morning.