PDA

View Full Version : Spurs working out Rich Melzer

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Former Minneapolis Washburn and Wisconsin-River Falls star Rich Melzer is to leaves today for San Antonio for a week of individual workouts with the Spurs. Melzer, who is 6 feet 8, is scheduled to play this summer for the Orlando Magic.

I don't know anything about him outside this profile.

http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/RichMelzer.html

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=breakers_playerprofile&profile=268

ChumpDumper (or anyone else)?

koopa
06-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Position: SF
Class: Early Entry
High School: WIsconsin River Falls
Ht., Wt.: 6'8, 225

ANALYSIS: Melzer was the Division III Player of the Year this season. He suffered a hip pointer in the first game at the Portsmouth Invitational and sat out the final two contests but showed enough to get invited to Chicago. Melzer was just 7-of-27 from the field in Chicago but played good defense and was active. He has worked hard in the weight room since the end of the season. He has nice mid-range jumper and 7-2 wing span but needs to show an outside game after playing mostly inside in college. Melzer is a good, but not great athlete who hopes to be the first Division III player drafted since Devean George, another Minnesota native.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2004/draft/players/18942.html

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 02:19 AM
7-2 wingspan on a 6-8 player is awesome. No wonder he was a good shot blocker.

Interesting.

ChumpDumper
06-12-2006, 02:34 AM
He measured 6'8.75" in shoes in draft camp, so he does fit the bill for long.

He apparently played briefly for Albuquerque this season but I don't remember him at all

I saw on DraftExpress that we are also working out James "Flight" White from Cincinnati. i kind of wish we could have a shot at Eric Hicks, who could be the next, next Malik Rose.

ChumpDumper
06-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Seemed to stroke the three halfway decently in the D-League and CBA, for what that's worth.

T Park
06-12-2006, 02:54 AM
intriguing.

But I always look at it like this, these guys are there for a reason.

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 02:55 AM
intriguing.

But I always look at it like this, these guys are there for a reason.

Yeah. So was Bruce Bowen once.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-12-2006, 04:06 AM
He measured 6'8.75" in shoes in draft camp, so he does fit the bill for long.

He apparently played briefly for Albuquerque this season but I don't remember him at all

I saw on DraftExpress that we are also working out James "Flight" White from Cincinnati. i kind of wish we could have a shot at Eric Hicks, who could be the next, next Malik Rose.

I really hope that James White falls to us late in the 1st round, he might not have the greatest skills ever, but he is freakishly athletic, and you can't teach athletisism

kolko
06-12-2006, 05:48 AM
I really hope that James White falls to us late in the 1st round, he might not have the greatest skills ever, but he is freakishly athletic, and you can't teach athletisism
We don't have a first round pick.

whottt
06-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Yeah. So was Bruce Bowen once.

And Mario Elie, and Stephen Jackson(who came out of the same league as Shane Heal :) ).

T Park
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Stephen Jackson(who came out of the same league as Shane Heal ).

Just goes to prove not every player out of that league is good.

Leetonidas
06-12-2006, 03:28 PM
He put up monster numbers. He is tall and has a huge wingspan. Sign him up.

CubanMustGo
06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
He PLAYED IN DIVISION III! Non-scholarship ball - the same division that Trinity plays in. UW-River Falls didn't even make the playoffs the year this guy's last year, losing to a sub-.500 team in their conference semis.

The "player of the year" in Division III would be hard-pressed to make a D-I roster. His NBL FT stats (66%) qualify him for a tryout, tho ... :lol

xcoriate
06-12-2006, 04:30 PM
watch yourself Tpark :lol

Don't go bagging on Shane Heal.