PDA

View Full Version : "This is AMERICA. WHEN ORDERING, 'SPEAK ENGLISH.' "

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Probably not good for business, but he does have a point.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/14788804.htm

Cheesesteak impresario Joey Vento is more than ready for his close-up.

The brash owner of Geno's Steaks has sparked new controversy after two weeks of nearly nonstop national attention for signs posted near his take-out window that declare: "This is AMERICA. WHEN ORDERING, 'SPEAK ENGLISH.' "....

A city agency charged with investigating discrimination plans to file a complaint Monday that questions the legality of the signs, which Vento has said are directed at the Mexican immigrants in Geno's South Philadelphia neighborhood.

Mary Catherine Roper, a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union, said the signs straddle a line between free speech and discrimination.

Geno's "has a right to express its opinion, however offensive," she said. "But there are specific limitations on places of public accommodation, because they are supposed to be available to everyone."

Councilman Jim Kenney called the signs a "divisive and mean-spirited" blow to the city's image and this week asked Vento to remove them. Scores of Inquirer readers have said they would boycott the shop for its "Speak English" directive, while many others said they would buy Vento's steaks in solidarity.

Vento told The Inquirer last month that he could not serve non-English speakers: "If you can't tell me what you want," he said, "I can't serve you."

He has since insisted to other media outlets that he has never refused a customer due to a language barrier. On Good Morning America, he said he coaches non-English-speakers on the nuances of Cheez Whiz and provolone. And he characterized the signs, posted six months ago when illegal immigration became a hot-button issue, as tough love meant to help newcomers assimilate.

"You're giving them a crutch" if you don't demand English, Vento told ABC.

But the "Speak English" placards are not aimed at tourists, according to the Ventos.

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 08:39 AM
:lol They were all over this on the radio this morning. I guess props to Geno's for creating more advertising and buzz around his chain. However, it's probably insulting to many people...especially those who have are foreign, but speak English with an accent.

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 08:39 AM
More business for Pat's, I guess :)

Extra Stout
06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
"NO se habla espanol" would be a gentler way of putting it.

CharlieMac
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't even respond to customers that refuse to speak english to me when I know for a fact they speak english.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
wouldn't it be easier to have an English-Spanish menu and have the people who don't speak english just point at what they want? I guess he wants the publicity

ShoogarBear
06-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Gee, I wonder if he would ever think of doing this if everyone was speaking Italian like in the old neighborhood. :rolleyes

JoeChalupa
06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I've found that American currency language always works for me. I haven't found too many businesses that don't speak dead presidents.

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Gee, I wonder if he would ever think of doing this if everyone was speaking Italian like in the old neighborhood. :rolleyes

:lol True.

Trainwreck2100
06-12-2006, 10:37 AM
The only time I hate customers talking to me in Spanish is when it's those rich white jerks from Mexico. Because they expect you to know it

TheTruth
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Yo quiero taco bell.

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM
That is so fucked up! It's like all Mexican restaurants asking for everyone to order in Spanish, Chinese restaurants in Chinese, Italian restaurants in Italian, etc...

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
That is so fucked up! It's like all Mexican restaurants asking for everyone to order in Spanish, Chinese restaurants in Chinese, Italian restaurants in Italian, etc...

Be Honest. If you went to France, and saw a sign that said "This is France, order in French.", would you really be all that shocked?

dougp
06-12-2006, 11:08 AM
That's a pretty stupid analogy OSC ... He's not saying, "This is American food, please order in English." He's saying, this is AMERICA, please order in English. If I were to visit somewhere, I'd atleast attempt to speak in their native tongue, especially if ordering food. The US needs to just break down and make English the native language, and crap like this would go away ...

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Be Honest. If you went to France, and saw a sign that said "This is France, order in French.", would you really be all that shocked?

I would be like :wtf and then :madrun and then :flipoff

ObiwanGinobili
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM

yes.
way to reel in the tourist dollar.

I've had plenty of non-english speaking customers at the verious places I've worked. Mexican, polish, easr african, korean.....
if they are paying we figure out a way to understand one another.

zero signal
06-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Actually, I'd be expecting a sign that says "This is France, if you don't speak French then don't try to order in French because we don't want you fucknuts butchering our language. We probably speak better English than you anyway."

pache100
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Actually, I'd be expecting a sign that says "This is France, if you don't speak French then don't try to order in French because we don't want you fucknuts butchering our language. We probably speak better English than you anyway."

:tu

Slomo
06-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Be Honest. If you went to France, and saw a sign that said "This is France, order in French.", would you really be all that shocked?Yes very! It's way too stupid.

Now a sign saying "This is France, we don't serve ketchup with our food" would be entirely plausible. :lol

Extra Stout
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
If I go to Germany, while it's true that most people speak English, in the event I run into an establishment where they don't speak English, am I supposed to be offended or something? It's a privilege to have them speak my language, not a right.

The same thing goes for Spanish-speakers in the United States.

Melmart1
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I was in Japan a few years back and pretty much only knew konichiwa and arogato. Restaurants that were in tourists areas, they had either pictures or fake plastic food out and you just pointed to it, and they brought it to you for tourists. Not very hard to do, and very non-discriminatory.

It doesn't matter if the signs are "not meant for tourists". They do no specify "this applies to immigrants only". If I am a tourist, I will be damned if I give you my money if I saw a sign like that. I mean, seriously. How can he tell which are living there as immigrants and which are tourists? Answer: you can't. So what is the point, other than being an asshole?

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
How can he tell which are living there as immigrants and which are tourists?

:lol Good point. Do we even get tourists here in Philly?

Leetonidas
06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
If they can't speak English, does he expect them to read it? :wtf

Get a damn person that speaks Spanish then to take orders. Geez.

Melmart1
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
:lol Good point. Do we even get tourists here in Philly?

I saw some Japanese tourists in Center City once taking pictures of the architecture! :lol

SpursWoman
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Not at all ... it's rather ethnocentric to assume that in a foreign county these people need to be speaking anything other than their native tongue. I'd just be afraid if I tried to order anything other than an enchilada in a different language, I'd end up with something covered in magical unicorn mayonnaise.

:drunk

travis2
06-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Not at all ... it's rather ethnocentric to assume that in a foreign county these people need to be speaking anything other than their native tongue. I'd just be afraid if I tried to order anything other than an enchilada in a different language, I'd end up with something covered in magical unicorn mayonnaise.

:drunk

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 01:07 PM
If they can't speak English, does he expect them to read it? :wtf

That's the part that stuck out to me. Assuming they don't understand english, how the hell does he expect them to read it?

SpursWoman
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Did you watch Robot Chicken last night? :lol

Extra Stout
06-12-2006, 01:10 PM
It doesn't matter if the signs are "not meant for tourists". They do no specify "this applies to immigrants only". If I am a tourist, I will be damned if I give you my money if I saw a sign like that. I mean, seriously. How can he tell which are living there as immigrants and which are tourists? Answer: you can't. So what is the point, other than being an asshole?
:lmao Yeah, he's scaring off that huge tourist crowd in South Philly.

T Park
06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Bravo to him for having the balls to stand up to the wimp ass politically correct crowd, that I see has invaded this board as well...

"OOOo thats sooo offensive"

Im offended by people that are offended. Thats my new organization.

Pobptao.

Melmart1
06-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Bravo to him for having the balls to stand up to the wimp ass politically correct crowd, that I see has invaded this board as well...

Pobptao.

Funny, I went back and re-read the entire thread, and not a single person said they were offended or that it was offensive.

Slomo
06-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Pobptao.I congratulate you on your choice!

So I'm guessing your busy painting similar sign to put at your carnival rides?

Keep us informed how it'll work out. :tu

JoeChalupa
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Can I still ride if I have cinco tiquetes?

Gatita
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I congratulate you on your choice!

:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM

:lol :tu

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 02:34 PM

:fro Slomo rocks!

MoSpur
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Its just another way to get attention. That's all this guy wanted and he got it. Too bad he had to stoop to that level. As long as people pay him he shouldn't care. He's in business to make money. Not to teach an English lesson.

Do you hear Mexicans in Mexico complain about the gringo not speaking Spanish? No. They don't care as long as they have pesos (money for those of you who don't understand).

Extra Stout
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Its just another way to get attention. That's all this guy wanted and he got it. Too bad he had to stoop to that level. As long as people pay him he shouldn't care. He's in business to make money. Not to teach an English lesson.

Do you hear Mexicans in Mexico complain about the gringo not speaking Spanish? No. They don't care as long as they have pesos (money for those of you who don't understand).
Umm... they don't bitch about the gringo who doesn't speak Spanish. They bitch about the gringo who gets all pissy because they don't speak English.

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Muy bien dicho :lol

xrayzebra
06-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Well it's his place. Guess he can run it like he wants to. He
didn't seem to be hurting for business.

ShoogarBear
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Pobptao.

Gee, was this predictable or what?

Spurminator
06-12-2006, 03:33 PM
Maybe it's my lack of customer service experience in heavily non-English-speaking areas, but I'm having trouble imagining a scenario where this would be a lot of trouble.

Do people complain if you're unable to help them because they don't speak English? Doesn't the discussion normally go as follows...

"Me gusta una..."
"Sorry, no hablo Espanol"
"Okay, lo siento"

What's the big deal? Does anyone really insist on having their order taken in Spanish?

Spurminator
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I suppose, if the two parties really had no comprehension of the other's language, it could go something like...

"Yo quiero un..."
"English only, please."
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"
"Que?"
"What?"

... and so on.

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
:lol True, I'm not sure just how many non-English speaking people go there for the over-priced cheesteaks anyways :)

scott
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM

I wouldn't be shocked only because the French are pricks. Is that what we aspire to?

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 11:32 PM
http://news.pajamasmedia.com/lifestyle/2006/06/11/9131911_Immigration_and_.shtml

On Friday alone, he [Vento] granted interviews to five TV programs and seven radio talk shows across the country, said his son, Geno Vento. But he would not talk to The [Philadelphia] Inquirer.

As several TV crews milled about working the lunchtime crowd, the elder Vento walked past with an entourage and said: "I don't want to talk to you. Fuggedaboutit."

He did talk, two weeks ago.

In an hourlong interview, Vento expressed hostility toward illegal immigrants, mainly from Mexico, who have moved into his old neighborhood.

"You can't call them 'illegal.' You got to call them 'undocumented,' " said the Shamong resident. "Give me a break."

He described illegal border crossers as sources of crime and drains on hospitals, schools, and other public services. It's "wrong, wrong, wrong that a Mexican girl comes here to pop a baby" who is automatically a U.S. citizen, Vento said.

"A lot of diseases are coming in" with illegal Mexican immigrants, he said at the time. "They weren't here before. [Mexicans] play and drink out of the same water."

Vento, whose grandparents came from Italy, did acknowledge the prejudice that immigrants face. "Every group goes through this: 'We don't want no dagos, no wops here,' " he said

Buddy Holly
06-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Some americans can be retarded to no end.

Why doesn't his sign say:

"THIS IS AMERICA, WHEN ORDERING, SPEAK ENGLISH... AND ENJOY A HOT PLATE OF FREEDOM FRIES WITH A SIDE OF FREEDOM TOAST. OH YEAH, IF YOU'RE ASIAN, BE PREPARED TO BE THROWN INTO A 'FUN' CAMP."

Buddy Holly
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM

It's one thing to go against the PC and another to be a red blooded ignorant racist.

Geez, aren't we the smart one here.

ALVAREZ6
06-13-2006, 05:51 AM
:lol i heard about this

ObiwanGinobili
06-13-2006, 08:03 AM
"A lot of diseases are coming in" with illegal Mexican immigrants, he said at the time. "They weren't here before. [Mexicans] play and drink out of the same water."

ohhhhhhhh. I understand now. He;s afraid of cooties.

:flipoff what a fuckign mental midget.

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Government to the rescue!!!

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/local/14803774.htm

Geno's hit with bias complaintsThe Commission on Human Relations said it would insist on removal of a "Speak English" sign at the cheesesteak shop.

By Mitch Lipka
Inquirer Staff Writer

One of South Philadelphia's biggest names in cheesesteaks is in a bit of a legal pickle for a lunch-line political statement against immigrants who don't speak English.

The city's Commission on Human Relations yesterday filed a discrimination complaint against Geno's Steaks over signs that read: "This is AMERICA ... WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH."

Owner Joey Vento has become a mini-celebrity over the issue and has steadfastly refused to pull down the signs despite the growing legal brouhaha. His son, Geno, said his father would not comment on the matter to The Inquirer.

Reached at his home yesterday evening, the Rev. James S. Allen Sr., commission chairman, said it was incumbent on the commission to get the sign removed.

"We think it is discriminatory, and we are concerned about the image of Philadelphia," he said.

According to the complaint, which was served on Geno's yesterday afternoon, the restaurant is in violation of two sections of the city's antidiscrimination laws: denying service to someone because of his or her national origin, and having printed material making certain groups of people feel their patronage is unwelcome.

In two weeks in the media spotlight, Vento - who has done a whirlwind of local and national talk shows - has defended the sign and said he had no intention of removing it.

He has said it is an immigrant's duty to learn the language and has acknowledged that his strong feelings were directed at Mexican immigrants, whose ranks are growing in South Philadelphia.

Vento, 66, said that the sign had been up for six months without complaint until recently and that it simply spoke to the notion that people who choose to live in this country should endeavor to speak English. He has made a point of saying he had never denied anyone service regardless of language.

But Allen said that didn't matter.

"The issue is not whether anyone has been denied service, but that such a sign discourages people from coming asking for service," he said.

Vento's son said yesterday his father would not comment on the issue to members of the print media on the advice of legal counsel.

Allen said the complaint begins a legal process that could subject Geno's to sanctions if the sign is not removed. It was not immediately clear how severe a penalty Geno's could be subject to if the complaint is found to be valid and an order to remove the sign is ignored. Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the commission, did not return repeated calls seeking clarification and comment.

An investigation will begin, Allen said, and Vento will be afforded an opportunity to respond to the complaint. Then the two sides are supposed to get together to resolve their differences.

If the issue is not resolved, Allen said, a public hearing will be scheduled. The process, he said, could continue beyond that and has no certain time parameters.

"It depends on what his response is," Allen said.

The American Civil Liberties Union said that Vento had a right to express his opinions, regardless of how offensive they might be, but that his particular message might cross the line because of specific laws intended to make so-called public accommodations available to everyone.

Public opinion on both the Geno's episode and the larger issue of immigrants speaking the language of the land has been split. The Pew Hispanic Center last week drew attention to a poll that showed a large majority of immigrant Hispanics want to learn English.

City Councilman Jim Kenney said it was time for Vento to back down. He asked the cheesesteak wiz to take down the sign before the matter escalated.

"I asked for consideration, and the consideration was rebuffed," Kenney said yesterday. "I just think it's mean-spirited and divisive, and it's not good for the city's image."

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
So now it's a legal issue? Talk about missing the mark.

pache100
06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
According to the complaint, which was served on Geno's yesterday afternoon, the restaurant is in violation of two sections of the city's antidiscrimination laws: denying service to someone because of his or her national origin, and having printed material making certain groups of people feel their patronage is unwelcome.

"The issue is not whether anyone has been denied service, but that such a sign discourages people from coming asking for service," he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union said that Vento had a right to express his opinions, regardless of how offensive they might be, but that his particular message might cross the line because of specific laws intended to make so-called public accommodations available to everyone.

Wait a minute. What about all those signs that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."? I still see those signs around all the time. I'm not defending this guy (I think he's an idiot), but if his sign is illegal, how come these other signs are legal? It doesn't say why they might refuse service (for all I know, they might refuse service to people with bad breath, or green eyes or ugly shoes). His sign doesn't say he absolutely won't serve anyone who does not speak English. What about deaf people? How does he accommodate them? I think someone is making a mountain out of a molehill here, especially considering the signs had been up for six months before some instigator put enough thought into it to make a public issue out of it.

If they'd just leave it alone, it would probably die a natural death. Again, I'm not saying I think he's right to have the signs. I think he's discriminating against people. I think he's endangering his business. I think he's an idiot (did I already say that?). I think he's an asshole. But, I don't think he's done anything illegal.

jcrod
06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Wait a minute. What about all those signs that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."? I still see those signs around all the time. I'm not defending this guy (I think he's an idiot), but if his sign is illegal, how come these other signs are legal? It doesn't say why they might refuse service. His sign doesn't say he absolutely won't serve anyone who does not speak English. What about deaf people? How does he accommodate them? I think someone is making a mountain out of a molehill here, especially considering the signs had been up for six months before some instigator put enough thought into it to make a public issue out of it.

If they'd just leave it alone, it would probably die a natural death. Again, I'm not saying I think he's right to have the signs. I think he's discriminating against people. I think he's endangering his business. I think he's an idiot (did I already say that?). I think he's an asshole. But, I don't think he's done anything illegal.

Its a huge difference. He's targeting a group of people, where the other is just a right to refuse service, which is known to mean if you're rude we won't serve you.

pache100
06-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Its a huge difference. He's targeting a group of people, where the other is just a right to refuse service, which is known to mean if you're rude we won't serve you.

I think that's an oversimplification. His sign does not say "I refuse to serve Mexicans". It does NOT specifically target any certain group of people as it is stated.

jcrod
06-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Yes he is, he's targeting non-english speakers. That's a group.

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Do signs that say "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" discriminate against people who can't afford shoes?

Making this a legal issue is just as stupid as putting the sign on display. Let the free market decide if the sign should be detremental to his business.

pache100
06-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Do signs that say "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" discriminate against people who can't afford shoes?

Making this a legal issue is just as stupid as putting the sign on display. Let the free market decide if the sign should be detremental to his business.

:tu

Extra Stout
06-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Great, they take legal action, and set a precedent so that all restaurants in Philadelphia are forced to have bilingual employees to take orders.

This is exactly why shooting liberals should be legal.

katyon6th
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM

Well said.

MoSpur
06-13-2006, 12:59 PM
The idiot in an interview admitted he was referring to Mexicans.

gameFACE
06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
kill whitey.........

MoSpur
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
What happened to your old avatar Gameface? I would always crack up when I would see it.

gameFACE
06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
I had changed avatars for the playoffs. I was thinking of switching to Caine from Kung Fu.

Extra Stout
06-13-2006, 01:24 PM
The idiot in an interview admitted he was referring to Mexicans.
Yeah, probably after about the third time some guy came up and ordered in Spanish he put up the sign.

"No se habla espanol aqui" would get the job done without the ethnic rancor, but if people didn't act like obnoxious assholes, it wouldn't be Philadelphia.