PDA

View Full Version : Still not better

JamStone
06-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Don't know what the rating were for game 2, but I am still not even remotely close to believing that a Mavs-Heat finals is much more entertaining than a Spurs-Pistons match-up.

Granted, the first four games of last year's finals were all blowouts. But I think we were all led to believe that higher scoring and more open offense would be more appealing to non-interested (both casual fans and those fans whose teams were not in the finals) NBA fans.

But, I watched the first quarter and was bored out of my mind. 18-17 with something like 10 turnovers combined by the two teams. The main attraction superstars that Stern so desperately wanted in the finals not playing very well. Shaq only scoring 5 points. Wade shooting 6-19 and turning the ball over like it was a burnt pancake. Even Dirk who was 8-16 was shooting fade-away jumpers that were barely grazing the front of the rim.

This is not better basketball. Thus far, it hasn't even been more entertaining basketball.

I can easily admit that some of my opinion is attributable to sour grapes. But, I still think it has some merit even if I were not biased.

Still not better.

:baby It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

nkdlunch
06-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I ain't watching and I don't know anyone who is remotely interested in this series.

CubanMustGo
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Here's what I think of this "series" so far:

http://www.mastroillustration.com/Jpegs/images/yawn.jpg

leemajors
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
last year we had an all-time great finals matchup. this one's a snore so far...

Shank
06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Another Spurs-Pistons circlejerk.

I love the 'we should be there' thought.

Texas_Ranger
06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Dallas is winning easy so far, perhaps it is going to be 4-0 for Dallas.

Texas_Ranger
06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Dallas is winning easy so far, perhaps it is going to be 4-0 for Dallas.

leemajors
06-12-2006, 10:47 AM

not really, at this point the teams don't seem to be close to evenly matched. the heat can change all that, but at this point it is pretty boring. i imagine you though the same after the first 2 games of the finals last year.

mike detroit
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM

no one said that. they just said these finals are boring, which they are. I don't know about the spurs, but I've yet to hear a pistons fan so much as hint that they think we belong in the finals this year.

pussyface
06-12-2006, 11:13 AM
ill go with you on this one jamstone.

it hasn't been the type of show i was expecting from a pure entertainment point of view. not a lot of showtime for dirk/wade/shaq or anything.

i agree that this series has the look of a sweep. i think the last game of the year has already been played in Dallas and am still waiting for Miami to show they can play with us.

anyway, even though I am enjoying this immensely on a personal level, I can understand how you spurs/pistons types could be underwhelmed given that these two teams both have reputations for playing a particularly entertaining brand of 'ball.

clambake
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Maybe the spurs and the pistons should be allowed to play some kinda consession game for 3rd and 4th place.

mabber
06-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't know what the rating were for game 2, but I am still not even remotely close to believing that a Mavs-Heat finals is much more entertaining than a Spurs-Pistons match-up.

Granted, the first four games of last year's finals were all blowouts. But I think we were all led to believe that higher scoring and more open offense would be more appealing to non-interested (both casual fans and those fans whose teams were not in the finals) NBA fans.

But, I watched the first quarter and was bored out of my mind. 18-17 with something like 10 turnovers combined by the two teams. The main attraction superstars that Stern so desperately wanted in the finals not playing very well. Shaq only scoring 5 points. Wade shooting 6-19 and turning the ball over like it was a burnt pancake. Even Dirk who was 8-16 was shooting fade-away jumpers that were barely grazing the front of the rim.

This is not better basketball. Thus far, it hasn't even been more entertaining basketball.

I can easily admit that some of my opinion is attributable to sour grapes. But, I still think it has some merit even if I were not biased.

Still not better.

:baby It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to.

This has been shitty basketball. Both teams are playing poorly. Other than a couple of good spurts by the Mavs and some decent defense I barely recognize the Mavs. They are playing like crap. That doesn't say much for the Heat though.

TheSanityAnnex
06-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Shaq and DWade have made for zero entertainment.

I take that back...........Shaq's freethrow shooting has been quite entertaining.

Trainwreck2100
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
The only people enjoying this year's Finals are Mavs fans

Leetonidas
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I like how writers called our matchup boring and this was supposed to be extremely exciting. Shit, our Game 5 and Game 7 were epic. This shit is just damn boring. The Pistons vs. Lakers was much better, and the Lakers vs. Pacers, Sixers, and Nets was way more entertaining.

This is just boring.

sickdsm
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the NBA. No one really cares despite all the new records they set.

Back to reality, no one cared outsde of the teams playing even when it was Det and SA. Its just that now you see it when your outside your bubble. In all honesty, i haven't watched either game yet. I wanted to but not bad enough to make the sacrifice needed to.

pussyface
...only 2 games in man.

if this thing goes beyong 4 or 5 games (and im not convinced that it will) it will likely have its share of great games/moments.

MadDog73
The only people enjoying this year's Finals are Mavs fans

No true. I was really enjoying watching Shaq get killed last night. It made the whole thing worth watching.

Shaq Sucks. So much for the Heat making the right choices... they would be doing much better with a Josh Howard type to back up Wade, than a huge, lumbering off whose only comparison to Wilt will be his awful free throws.

And I don't recall game 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the Spurs/Piston series being very exciting. Game 5 and 7 were...

DubMcDub
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
No true. I was really enjoying watching Shaq get killed last night. It made the whole thing worth watching.

Shaq Sucks. So much for the Heat making the right choices... they would be doing much better with a Josh Howard type to back up Wade, than a huge, lumbering off whose only comparison to Wilt will be his awful free throws.

And I don't recall game 1, 2, 3, or 4 of the Spurs/Piston series being very exciting. Game 5 and 7 were...

Yeah the first 4 games last year were quite a snore.

JamStone
06-12-2006, 02:18 PM
It's true the first four games last year were blowouts and not very exciting. But, that's why Mavs-Heat was supposed to change things. Should be exciting from game 1 on. Should be high scoring. Should be dominated by great play by the superstars.

None of that yet to have happened.

Can't compare these first two games with the first four games last year because Spurs and Pistons were SUPPOSED TO BE BORING.

Mavs and Heat were SUPPOSED TO BE EXCITING.

That's my point.

dirk4mvp
06-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Of course Spurs fans wouldn't watch the Finals. Th Mavs owned y'alls ass, now y'all are the bitches. hahahaha

himat
06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Of course Spurs fans wouldn't watch the Finals. Th Mavs owned y'alls ass, now y'all are the bitches. hahahaha

Yeah the Spurs got owned all right.
:rolleyes . Get out of here you panzy.

Darrin
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
I haven't found these Finals boring, although I fell asleep for the second half of last night's game. But if you were waiting for the Superstars to show up like Dirk Nowitzki (21.0 ppg on .400 FG%), Shaquille O'Neal (11.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, no blocks), and Dwyane Wade (25.5 ppg on .333 FG%), or were waiting for close games that came down to the last shot, then you've been disappointed.

Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry have made their names in this series, thus far. Walker is playing well, but no one else on the Heat looks anywhere near as good as they did in the last series.

sanman53
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I tried to watch a few minutes of game 1, but I just can't make myself watch shaq. Someone wake me up with the finals are over.

himat
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I like how writers called our matchup boring and this was supposed to be extremely exciting. Shit, our Game 5 and Game 7 were epic. This shit is just damn boring. The Pistons vs. Lakers was much better, and the Lakers vs. Pacers, Sixers, and Nets was way more entertaining.

This is just boring.

You know I think Pistons and Spurs will "sneak'' back to the finals. Yeah I think both are still the best teams in basketball, but many think both teams runs are over. They're wrong., Sure both teams messed up in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean the teams are done. 99% of the time you clearly see when a champ just can't do it anymore. i don't think I've seen that yet. I hope mavs close the heat out because I couldn't stand watching Zo, GP, and Wade getting rings.

himat
06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I haven't found these Finals boring, although I fell asleep for the second half of last night's game. But if you were waiting for the Superstars to show up like Dirk Nowitzki (21.0 ppg on .400 FG%), Shaquille O'Neal (11.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, no blocks), and Dwyane Wade (25.5 ppg on .333 FG%), or were waiting for close games that came down to the last shot, then you've been disappointed.

Jerry Stackhouse and Jason Terry have made their names in this series, thus far. Walker is playing well, but no one else on the Heat looks anywhere near as good as they did in the last series.

How could you not think these Finals have been boring so far?

Darrin
06-12-2006, 03:25 PM

The 1998 NBA Finals have set a low standard that is hard to break. :)

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Walker is playing well

Going by stats alone....maybe.

He's lazy on D, no rebounding to speak of and alot of his points have come when Dallas is way out front.

Leetonidas
06-12-2006, 03:32 PM

So do you admit the Mavs were our bitches for the last 23 years or so?

See, this is why I hate Mavs fans. They have no fucking brains. All they can say is we got owned, when their team almost choked away a fucking 3-1 lead and a 20 point lead in Game 7. You guys were one silly foul away from fishing. No one got owned.

With that being said, the Spurs and Mavs series was probably the best the entire playoffs.

MadDog73
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
To be fair, it's not the Mavs Fans fault the series is sucking so far...

the Mavs are just vastly superior to the Heat. I'm embarassed I even thought the Heat had a chance...

Darrin
06-12-2006, 04:09 PM
With that being said, the Spurs and Mavs series was probably the best the entire playoffs.

That's an understatement. I'd say that series is top-five in the last 15 years.

Close games don't automatically = a close series. But the Spurs and Mavs definitely were the definition of a close series. You got the impression that if these teams played 82 games against each other, both teams would be at .500.

That was a playoff series where not only the teams evenly matched, they were playing their best basketball of the season, and they were very talented. It's rare to get all of those qualities simultaneously, and that much harder to get both teams in one series to play at that level.

mabber
06-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Going by stats alone....maybe.

He's lazy on D, no rebounding to speak of and alot of his points have come when Dallas is way out front.

Very true. Plus, the Mavs are almost begging him to shoot so he's gonna get his points in this series.

Bob Lanier
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
The best thing about sports is watching one team play at the top of its game. That usually requires another team to suck it up, and that's unfortunate. But even though I don't enjoy the Mavs' offense, dislike several of their players, and despise Mark Cuban - I can appreciate the domination.

JamStone's point is well taken, though.

Horry For 3!
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I have watched about 5 game time mins of Games 1 & 2 combined....probably even less

I was watchin Joe Dirt last night.... Joe Dirt > Mavs-Heat

Tanya
06-12-2006, 04:47 PM
The only series I didn't skip a game this year was SA-DAL. That was pretty amazing and exciting. That series should be the final.