PDA

View Full Version : Ladies? Need wedding attire help!

easjer
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
We're going to the wedding of one of Jason's groomsmen/his old roommate this weekend (and we know the bride as well, as I worked with her back in the day) on Saturday. There was no notice about attire, but I can surmise that at 6:00 on a Saturday evening with full hotel reception following (and from knowing the bride) that it's going to be fancy-shmancy.

I only have two dresses that fit right now - one is bright red (think, lady of the evening, streetwalker red) and the other is white (of course it is). Both would show off my recently acquired tattoo, which bothers me slightly, as I do not want to look like trailer trash or like I'm trying to upstage the bride (the white dress does not look at all like a bridal gown, but it's still white, and would still be tacky, you know?)

Unless it's absolutely necessary, I really don't want to buy a new dress, because I don't wear dresses often (I'm very uncomfortable in them, and self-concious), and that's not the way I want to spend clothes money.

Would a very nice beige-tone on tone-textured pinstripe suit be wholly inappropriate? Please help! I also have a black with white pinstripe suite, and several black dressy tops that I could wear with those pants, but I thought wearing black to a wedding was bad. . .

Gah! Need help.

katyon6th
06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Definitely not the white dress. The beige suit sounds decent but I don't think it's appropriate for "fancy schmancy". I guess your only option other than going out and buying a new dress would be the red dress. Which doesn't sound bad at all. Red is stunning.

Perhaps one of us ladies on the board has a dress to loan you? I'd ask what size you are, but ya know.

pache100
06-12-2006, 10:06 AM
If it comes down to your having to buy something, try Marshall's or Ross or somewhere like that, sometimes you can find great deals. My only other suggestion would be to explore some second-hand shops in your area. They often have wonderful buys on great clothes. They are not all like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Some of them are pretty up-scale and have strict requirements for consignments. There are a couple in San Antonio I have used in the past, but I have no idea what is available in Houston. Check the yellow pages?

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I would probably go with the "black with white pinstripe suite, with one of the several black dressy tops " (I wouldn't wear the suit jacket). Make sure you pair it with some nice heels and jewlery to make it look dressier. And you can wear black to weddings...people do that often (think little black dress).

Also, what you could do is wear a nice little knee length skirt (if you have any..maybe even from one of your suits?) and pair that with one of your nice dressy shirts, some nice heels and jewlery. You'll look classy :)

BTW, where's this tatoo of yours?

easjer
06-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Tattoo is all around my right ankle (and still peeling, which is kind of gross to look at).

And I am what you call a 'bigger' girl . . . Ross and Marshalls can't usually help me out in a pinch, unfortunately, and I generally (but not always) have the same issue with second-hand stores.

I like the red dress, I just don't want to look like I'm trying to call attention to myself. And I also don't know what the bridesmaids are wearing, but red wouldn't be out there. I definitely don't want to wear something close to that. Sadly, I have no skirts, I always buy slacks with my suits.

:bang

I also know that no one will pay nearly as much attention to this as I am right now (unless it turns into a hideous fashion faux pas, which is not outside the realm of possibility).

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Go for the nice pant suit with a dressy blouse. Just because It's a wedding that doesn't mean you have to wear a dress. Wear what ever you feel comfortable in.

Good luck and have a great time at the wedding :spin

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Tattoo is all around my right ankle (and still peeling, which is kind of gross to look at).

And I am what you call a 'bigger' girl . . . Ross and Marshalls can't usually help me out in a pinch, unfortunately, and I generally (but not always) have the same issue with second-hand stores.

I like the red dress, I just don't want to look like I'm trying to call attention to myself. And I also don't know what the bridesmaids are wearing, but red wouldn't be out there. I definitely don't want to wear something close to that. Sadly, I have no skirts, I always buy slacks with my suits.

:bang

I also know that no one will pay nearly as much attention to this as I am right now (unless it turns into a hideous fashion faux pas, which is not outside the realm of possibility).

In that case, go with the black pansuit (beige may look a little blah) and pair it with the dressy blouse as I first stated. If you wear some nice jewlery and cute strappy heels, you can pull it off :)

Damn, if I lived in SA I would have come over and raided you closet to find you the perfect mix-and-match outfit :lol

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh, but whatever you do, DON'T WEAR THE ACTUAL SUIT JACKET!!!

tlongII
06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Women devote WAY TOO MUCH mind space to things like this!

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:37 AM
^You wouldn't be going around saying things like "I'd hit it" if we didn't and just walked around in our sweatpants, t-shirts, and sloppy pony tails all day, every day (which by the way I did this entire weekend :)).

tlongII
06-12-2006, 10:39 AM
^You wouldn't be going around saying things like "I'd hit it" if we didn't and just walked around in our sweatpants, t-shirts, and sloppy pony tails all day, every day (which by the way I did this entire weekend :)).

You obviously don't know me very well! :eyebrows

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
:lol Guess not.

easjer
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
LOL 1Parker1 - I only wear the suit jacket when I have a recruitment event in a cold room, and then I only wear it over a cami. I generally just wear nice tops.

ObiwanGinobili
06-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I would wear the red dress and perhaps buy a pretty light sweater or wrap for it (say in black?) if you feel it's "street walker-ish"... but really. red is gorgeous.

Do not wear the white dress. no.

Perhaps you could wear the black suit with a VERY dressy black top, and high heels.
Accesorized with a fancy shmancy purse, hair-do, and perhaps a pin o nthe lapel.
That would work quite nicely.

ObiwanGinobili
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
In that case, go with the black pansuit (beige may look a little blah) and pair it with the dressy blouse as I first stated. If you wear some nice jewlery and cute strappy heels, you can pull it off :)

Damn, if I lived in SA I would have come over and raided you closet to find you the perfect mix-and-match outfit :lol

theres another reason why you are awesome.

SpursWoman
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
If you wear a skirt or dress to this wedding...whatever you do, do NOT wear white shoes with dark stockings. I think Kori can back me up on this. :lmao :spin

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Well crap, Liz. If you're getting that dressed up I can't wear my flip-flops, basketball shorts, and "Keep on Trucking" tee-shirt. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

Jekka
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I second 1Parker1 - there is nothing wrong with wearing dressy pants to a wedding, especially one that does not specify "formal attire". Putting some nice jewelry and shoes with it will bring it away from work. I could go look in the 1920 edition of Emily Post my grandmother gave me, but I'm pretty sure that 1Parker1 had sound advice :lol

jman3000
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Something must be wrong with my computer... the first 8 posts of this thread appear to be writen in binary : /

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 12:13 PM
:lol at Obiwan translating prostitute to "street walker-ish"...

Statements like that are why I love you, Obi.

2Blonde
06-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I agree with everything 1P1 said up until a point. I would bring the suit jacket with you. Because I think you said the reception is in a hotel. If that's the case. Then they always turn the temperature down to about 13 degrees below zero and you might need a jacket while you are sitting there for the 6 1/2 hours you are waiting for the wedding party to finish taking pictures and get into the reception hall. It's always best to be prepared. :spin

But I do think the black pinstripe sounds like the best option for an evening wedding.

1Parker1
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
2Blonde, sometimes we ladies just have to make sacrifices for our beauty. Or in Easjer's case, she'll have to sacrifice warmth and comfort for a frozen ass so she can look awesome in the wedding pics :)

pache100
06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
2Blonde, sometimes we ladies just have to make sacrifices for our beauty. Or in Easjer's case, she'll have to sacrifice warmth and comfort for a frozen ass so she can look awesome in the wedding pics :)

A nice lace shawl would solve that problem both ways (looks and warmth). I got a black one with long fringe at the Dress Barn a couple of months ago for about $6. It's no trouble to carry because it doesn't weigh anything. It looks great with slacks (especially the dressy suit slacks) or skirts. And it doesn't break the bank. You can just carry it over your arm when you don't need it and slip it around your shoulders to cover your arms if you get chilled. I love those things.

Gatita
06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping. :lol

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Since you think the red is too wild, wear the black suit and add fancy accessories. Black is very appropriate for an evening wedding. In fact, it's pretty much the norm.

ObiwanGinobili
06-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to go shopping. :lol

thats my language right thrrr.