PDA

View Full Version : Report:Ben Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

Taco
06-12-2006, 11:32 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5687558
According to a report on WTAE's website, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for the Pittsburgh TV station, but there was no word about the extent of his injuries.
A witness told the station that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle, then hit the ground.

Roethlisberger was reportedly not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

Shortly after Kellen Winslow's motorcycle accident, which forced the Browns tight end to miss the entire 2005 season, Steelers head coach Bill Cowher expressed concern over his own star player's infatuation with the bikes.

"It (a pro football career) is a very small time in your life, and you've got to be very careful. You can see it documented with Kellen Winslow," Cowher said. "Not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with."

Cowher reportedly spoke to Roethlisberger in May of 2005 after photos surfaced in which the Steelers quarterback was posing helmetless on a motorcycle.

TheTruth
06-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Holy Moly. Hope he's alright.

But seriously. These guys are idiots putting millions of dollars on the line to ride around on those damn bikes.

leemajors
06-12-2006, 11:46 AM
you have plenty of time to tool around on a motorcycle after you retire at 35 from the NFL.

TheTruth
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
especially without a guarnateed contract. what a dumbass.

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2006, 11:50 AM
It's the " it'll never happen to me" syndrome.

Taco
06-12-2006, 11:52 AM
According to a report on WTAE's website, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle accident Monday morning.

The Steelers confirmed the accident for the Pittsburgh TV station, but there was no word about the extent of his injuries.
A witness told the station that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle, then hit the ground.

Shortly after Kellen Winslow's motorcycle accident, which forced the Browns tight end to miss the entire 2005 season, Steelers head coach Bill Cowher expressed concern over his own star player's infatuation with the bikes.

"It (a pro football career) is a very small time in your life, and you've got to be very careful. You can see it documented with Kellen Winslow," Cowher said. "Not just in riding motorcycles, but where you go and who you associate with."

Cowher reportedly spoke to Roethlisberger in May of 2005 after photos surfaced in which the Steelers quarterback was posing helmetless on a motorcycle.

THE NOT WEARING A HELMET IS WHAT GET'S ME

GrandeDavid
06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Idiot. Moron. Got what he deserved. Oger from Revenge of the Nerds. And riding without a helmet? OMG how this clown does not deserve a Super Bowl ring.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
In the report on yahoo they mention a big ass pool of blood at the scene, sounds like the guy got fucked up pretty badly.

nickbroken
06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Eh I hope he's ok, but he's a moron for not wearing a helmet, I've been reading on the Eagles message boards about it, says he lost like 4 teeth broken jaw and a gash on the back of his head and a concussion.

Mr. Body
06-12-2006, 01:30 PM
I hope he doesn't play this year, just for being one of the stupidest people on the planet. There has to be a Darwin Awards for professional athletes.

tlongII
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
The Seahawks GOT SCREWED in that Super Bowl I tell you!

mcornelio
06-12-2006, 02:30 PM
:owned :idiot :owned :idiot

rayray2k8
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Good God I hope the dudes alright.

Murphy
06-12-2006, 02:38 PM
No Helmet? Was Lectured by Bill Cowhart about it? YOU EARNED IT BEN! CONGRATS!

Vizzini
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
I hope he is all right as well, but he should've been wearing a helmet. It looks like he has put his name into the running for biggest fuck-up of the 2004 NFL first round, along side of Sean Taylor and Kellen "I'm a soldier" Winslow.

tlongII
06-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Isn't it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet? It is in Oregon anyway.

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Reportedly lost most of his teeth, fractured left sinus cavity bone, 9-inch laceration to back of the head and a broken jaw.

Poor dude but..............idiot.

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Isn't it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet? It is in Oregon anyway.

Lots of states make it optional to wear one.

AlamoSpursFan
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Just imagine what the driver of the car said when Ben Rothlisberger's grille was mashed against the windshield...

:lmao

"HEY! IT'S BEN ROTHL...ummmmm...uh-oh."

AlamoSpursFan
06-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Has anybody checked E-Bay for his chicklets?

Darrin
06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
In the report on yahoo they mention a big ass pool of blood at the scene, sounds like the guy got fucked up pretty badly.

I hope this isn't another Jay Williams situation. It would really stink if Roethlisberger and the Bus retired in the same game.

We won't really know until his doctors address the media the extent of the injury.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM

I don't feel sorry for the retard at all.

Stupid fucking Ben Roethlisberger, the dude's like 24 and he's doin stupid shit like that and the Steelers don't even have to pay him, he isn't guaranteed anything.

If he can't even play a game again then I will laugh, that stupid fucker probably spent all of his money already.

midgetonadonkey
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I remember an interview he did right after Kellen Winslow got in his accident, he said there was nobody that can tell him to not ride his bike and that he doesn't care about the risks. I bet the fucker cares now.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Dang, you people are harsh. I mean I know he made a mistake, but you gotta feel for the guy....

Taco
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5688078_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5688088_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5688084_7_2.jpg

Mr. Body
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Dang, you people are harsh. I mean I know he made a mistake, but you gotta feel for the guy....

Why, though? The guy insisted on driving his motorcycle recklessly after being told not to and then demands to go withotu a helmet. He's lucky to have his life.

Don't feel bad for him; feel good for the guy. Sort of.

What a moron.

mcornelio
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Nice Hayabusa... Fastest Legal Street Bike

rayray2k8
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I DO feel for the dude but...
He should of known better.
He put his career in danger as soon as he decided to ride a bike and ride one without protective head gear.
What was he thinking?
I agree with degenerate_gambler, that super ego mind set he had made him believe nothing would happen to him.
But something did happen to him.
Some of you are out of line in saying that he deserves this, but then again you'd think he'd be use to wearing a helmet since he plays in one.
I wonder how the fans are feeling.

nickbroken
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Eh says he lost most his teeth, 9 inch gash on the back of his head, broken jaw, fracture to left sinus cavity, and "serious" damage to his knees, that sucks so bad, I'd hate to be the person he crashed into if it turns out to be their fault, the steel city will lynch him/her.

rayray2k8
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Heres more on Ben...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday in which he was not wearing a helmet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition Monday afternoon, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.
The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said before the operation. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

ESPN.com's John Clayton has confirmed a report that Roethlisberger also suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost teeth and has knee injuries from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in.

Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda, was crying as she arrived at the hospital.
Steelers president Art Rooney said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital.

"I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery," he said.

Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.
The 24-year-old Roethlisberger was without a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.

Roethlisberger was between radio interviews and on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa -- large, racing-style bike -- and heading toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.

The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed.

Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.

"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn't really speaking. He seemed dazed but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down," said Ford, who didn't realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, something standard when there is an accident with critical injuries. Kraus would give no details on the extent of Roethlisberger's injuries or if anyone else was injured.
The accident occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. Police were detouring traffic around the crash scene as onlookers and media gathered.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship. He was 23 when he did it last February.

Paint outlines puddles of oil and blood on the street where Roethlisberger collided with an automobile while riding a motorcycle on Monday.
Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire." ESPN.com football writers Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I cant help but feel for the poor lady who was scared to death thinking that she had killed someone.

Ben was warned about riding that damn bike.
Jesus christ...

Who knows what the extend of the injuries could be.
How goddamn stupid can you be?

snowboarder
06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
That's exactly what I was thinkin...

True, he wasn't smart for riding without a helmet, but your glad he got injured and has a possibility of not playing anymore? Whats wrong with you guys?

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Did anyone say they were glad he got hurt? Well besides Alvarez the juvenile idiot.

clambake
06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Espn said the injuries to his knees are not that severe or a threat to his career. Next time, wear a helmet. Even though its his life, many other people are counting on him.

Kori Ellis
06-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Most pro players contracts have a stipulation that they can't ride a motorcycle. I don't get why they risk their lives (and their careers). I hate motorcycles.

:(

Get well soon, Ben.

clambake
06-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Motorcycles are a beautiful work of art. The best place to leave them is in the showroom.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Man some of you are complete assholes about all this.

Yes, he was stupid not to wear a helmet, but all the "haha, what a dumbass" shit is pretty pathetic.

nickbroken
06-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey I feel bad the guy got hurt, believe me it sucks. I hope he recovers well. He is a good kid and didn't deserve what happened to him, but anyone who drives a motorcycle without a helmet is a dumb shit, driving a motorcycle is dangerous enough as it is with one on, he is just lucky it wasn't pavement that his head hit.

I wouldn't wish this on any athlete...well but TO maybe....

Bo Malette
06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
that is seriously fucked up

to show that pool of blood on espn, i mean

seriously fucked up

poor ben

SA Gunslinger
06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
He was on Mike and Mike this morning doing a radio interview. The accident must have occurred shortly after his radio appearance.

Sad. Get well soon Ben.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
I hate motorcycles.

:(

I know, a good family friend recently got in a motorcycle accident. He's paralized from the waist down now, and lucky to even be alive. His helmet saved him.

For all their trouble, though, motorcycles are hella fun to ride.

scott
06-12-2006, 10:56 PM
I ain't a Steelers fan, but I hope Big Ben is alright. Never want to see anyone get hurt, no matter how dumb they were acting.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Word has it that it was a 62 year old woman who's car Ben collided with.
I HATE the Steelers with a passion, but I really do hope that dude fully recovers.

LEONARD
06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ebay'rs are so cold...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Roethlisbergers-Motorcycle-Helmet_W0QQitemZ8828227854QQihZ005QQcategoryZ86828 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are about 5 of those types of auctions right now...

and t-shirts...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-Ben-motorcycle-driving-school-t-shirt_W0QQitemZ8827893039QQihZ005QQcategoryZ25091Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I figured there might be some teeth on Ebay...there were parts from Winslow's bike on there after he crashed..

LEONARD
06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
What sucks is that there are so many people on the road that shouldn't be...not necessarily this lady, but people just don't pay enough attention to what's going on around them to SEE motorcycles.

You don't have to ride long to know this. Trust NOBODY when you ride and assume EVERY car is going to pull out in front of you...

He's lucky it wasn't worse...

JMarkJohns
06-13-2006, 05:17 PM
ESPN just reported he didn't have a vailid motorcycle license. Just a standard drivers license and a motorcycle permit that had expired months earlier.

He's getting dumber and dumber and this was before he flew head-first into a sheet of glass.

1. Risk my non-guaranteed contract to ride a motorcycle just for kicks: CHECK!
2. Risk my life by riding a motorcycle without a helmet for further kicks: CHECK!
3. Risk everything by doing the above without a proper license, daring the police to arrest me and the insurance companies to drop my coverage: DOUBLE CHECK!!!

Moron!

Bo Malette
06-13-2006, 05:52 PM
damn in the past year in victoria there's been a dozen or so people put in the hospital and/or dead because there's people out there driving cars who shouldn't be... i wonder what was up with the car driver in this case..

how do you hit a motorcycle head on while you're turning left?
my buddy from work is from pittsburg, he says that the streets there are incredibly unsafe. They're ultra narrow, and for some reason alot of the intersections are 3 street intersections that form triangles. And he said anyone stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet surely knew of how dangerous pittsburg streets are.

nbascribe
06-13-2006, 06:54 PM
From PA tv:
----------

Take Weeks

Bob Allen
Reporting

(KDKA) PITTSBURGH Police are now saying it could take weeks before they determine whether any charges will be filed in the accident that injured Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

While the official investigation is underway to determine what caused the accident and if anyone was at fault, witnesses have told KDKA that a car pulled into the path of Roethlisberger's motorcycle to make a left turn.

Roethlisberger slammed broadside into a 1996 Chrysler New Yorker driven by Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill -- smashing into the windshield and hitting the ground.

After undergoing about seven hours of surgery yesterday to repair facial fractures, doctors say he's in serious but stable condition.

As part of the investigation, officials have taken the Chrysler and Roethlisberger's motorcycle in for inspection.

So far no charges have been filed.

In the meantime, while Fleishman has not commented on the accident, her husband told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "We really have no statement."

"We certainly hope everything goes well for Mr. Roethlisberger," Martin Fleishman adds, "but we have no other statement. Certainly this is terrible and unfortunate. We hope he has a speedy recovery."

As for Roethlisberger's condition, doctors at Mercy Hospital say his surgery was a success and there have been no changes in his condition overnight.

No other updates are expected on his condition until possibly later this afternoon.
----------------------------

broadside huh...bet her excuse is "i didn't see him"

If you read the accounts from the Post-Gazette she didn't see him. She was making a left turn and Ben didn't slow down.

And yes he is a lucky idiot. NFL contracts do not carry any clauses that strictly forbid players from riding motorcycles while they are under a deal. They are negotiated by the clubs.

What Ben should have done was take the advice of his coach and that of Terry Bradshaw. The mere fact that even has lied on an interview saying he doesn't ride sport bikes shows that he doesn't have a clue about the type of example he is setting for future team members. What needs to happen is for the owners to re-work the CBA and put some serious stipulations in that if you're on a bike and you get injured, you're paying back the club money for 'theft of services' or a 'breech of contract' scenario. Kellen Winslow had to pay back the Browns and Big Ben should do so also just because he was being a foolish 24-year-old who thought he was invincible.

Taco
06-14-2006, 08:13 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5687852_7_2.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5687838_7_2.jpg

rascal
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Maybe he has learned his lesson now. He is lucky to be alive by the looks of the damage.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Ben = idiot.

AlamoSpursFan
06-14-2006, 08:55 AM
my buddy from work is from pittsburg, he says that the streets there are incredibly unsafe. They're ultra narrow, and for some reason alot of the intersections are 3 street intersections that form triangles. And he said anyone stupid enough to ride a motorcycle without a helmet surely knew of how dangerous pittsburg streets are.

I'll concur with that assessment. We went to PA to visit my ex's family a few years back and we spent a day in Pittsburgh. There were several times I was DAMN glad we got the insurance on the rental car!

Taco
07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
go to link for video

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2517756

Updated: July 13, 2006, 8:48 AM ET
Rescuers told Roethlisberger he was close to dying

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday night that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he told ESPN's Jim Rome in Los Angeles, where he was for the taping of the ESPYS.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

Roethlisberger was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

Additional portions of Roethlisberger's interview with ESPN will be aired Thursday on the 6 p.m. ET SportsCenter and subsequent editions. The ESPYS will be televised Sunday at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN.

Roethlisberger is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC championship game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team, and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

Roethlisberger didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

"I have no concerns about Ben," Cowher said backstage. "He's going to have to get hit a couple times to see if he's all the way back. Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously."