PDA

View Full Version : So...Soccer..

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Boy does it suck.

Solid D
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
USA looks like a "Y" league team against the Czechs.

IceColdBrewski
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
USA looks like a "Y" league team against the Czechs.

USA will never field a team good enough to win the World Cup. Our best athletes just aren't interested. Neither are most Americans for that matter.

MoSpur
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
They played like crap. Oh well, my other team Mexico won.

ObiwanGinobili
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Viva la Mexico.

MoSpur
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Mexico looked very nervous out there yesterday. They played much better in the second half.

nickbroken
06-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I wish I could get into soccer, but it's just like hockey to me.I can't take watching a puck/ball go back and forth for 3 periods ending with scores of 1 to 0 or 2 to 1.

ashbeeigh
06-12-2006, 01:21 PM
The game went so fast. I woke up and was like "OH soccer is on...oh we lost..."

pache100
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
The game went so fast. I woke up and was like "OH soccer is on...oh we lost..."

That's exactly the way I feel. I like watching kids play soccer, but watching adults play is like watching paint dry or grass grow...actually, on second thought, I don't think it's that exciting.

And, what's the heck is up with them hauling people off the field on stretchers and three minutes later, they are back in the game, running up and down the dang field???

I don't want to hear any more about how soccer is tougher than the NFL. In the NFL, if you bring a stretcher onto the field for someone, that sucker is never gonna walk again.

ashbeeigh
06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
And, what's the heck is up with them hauling people off the field on stretchers and three minutes later, they are back in the game, running up and down the dang field???.

I saw that too, but I think the czechs big guy Kohler or something went out mid game like 40th minute and may be out rest of the Cup.

MannyIsGod
06-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Soccer is what it is. I love it. People here just don't get it and thats fine.

What I don't get is the average American's need to bash soccer. So you don't like it and you think its boring, well thats how I feel about baseball which is somehow America's past time. Yeah, there's a ton of action in that Sport. In between the ass scratching and the spitting I don't know how to contain myself.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Soccer is what it is. I love it. People here just don't get it and thats fine.

What I don't get is the average American's need to bash soccer. So you don't like it and you think its boring, well thats how I feel about baseball which is somehow America's past time. Yeah, there's a ton of action in that Sport. In between the ass scratching and the spitting I don't know how to contain myself.
:lmao :tu

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 01:43 PM
That's exactly the way I feel. I like watching kids play soccer, but watching adults play is like watching paint dry or grass grow...actually, on second thought, I don't think it's that exciting.

And, what's the heck is up with them hauling people off the field on stretchers and three minutes later, they are back in the game, running up and down the dang field???

I don't want to hear any more about how soccer is tougher than the NFL. In the NFL, if you bring a stretcher onto the field for someone, that sucker is never gonna walk again.
I don't think anyone ever said football is tougher than American Football. I've heard Rugby is tougher than American Football, but never football.

pache100
06-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't really have anything bad to say about it. But people who diss those who don't care for it or find it boring should think about this when they talk about baseball and NASCAR (and man, do they ever chop those two sports to hell). To each his own. But it works both ways.

ashbeeigh
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I love you Manny, everything can be an argument. The weather, different sports, cell phone services. My apperence. Whatever it may be.

MannyIsGod
06-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't really have anything bad to say about it. But people who diss those who don't care for it or find it boring should think about this when they talk about baseball and NASCAR (and man, do they ever chop those two sports to hell). To each his own. But it works both ways.

jman3000
06-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Rugby will own the crap outta you... I played for 3 years starting my junior year in highschool and there was at LEAST 1 injury every game...whether it be severe or not... it was like clockwork. In 1 season alone I had a busted bursa sack (small sack that cushions your patella), gouged eye, lacerated finger, multiple twisted ankles, and bruises out the wazoo. It basically adds the speed and pace of soccer with the physical nature of football... good times.

Old School Chic
06-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Mexico won yesterday 3-1 :spin

That's all that matters

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Rugby will own the crap outta you... I played for 3 years starting my junior year in highschool and there was at LEAST 1 injury every game...whether it be severe or not... it was like clockwork. In 1 season alone I had a busted bursa sack (small sack that cushions your patella), gouged eye, lacerated finger, multiple twisted ankles, and bruises out the wazoo. It basically adds the speed and pace of soccer with the physical nature of football... good times.
I play rugby since I was 6, its preety darn rough. I'm not too used to American Football though so I can't really say which is tougher. I expect the excessive padding in American Football kind of lessens the blows though

pache100
I didn't know "I don't think it's that exciting" was such a bad thing. My apologies. Everything else I said stands as MY OPINION.

MannyIsGod
My passport says United States on it. I like Mexico as well, but some people forget where they live.

T Park
06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
What I don't get is the average American's need to bash soccer. So you don't like it and you think its boring, well thats how I feel about baseball which is somehow America's past time

gee maybe cause it was invented in america, played by americans forever?

nahh.,

T Park
06-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I expect the excessive padding in American Football kind of lessens the blows though

no it does not.

jman3000
06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
I play rugby since I was 6, its preety dran rough. I'm not too used to American Football though so I can't really say which is tougher. I expect the excessive padding in American Football kind of lessens the blows though

American football is nowhere near as rough as rugby... I played both so I can compare. Some rugby players use padding... but it's minimal at best... like maybe small cushioned pads to protect your shoulders. The hits in rugby are everybit as punishing as those in football, but without all the padding. My coach always said, "Soccer is a gentlemen's sport played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen" and I took pride in that.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-12-2006, 02:10 PM
American football is nowhere near as rough as rugby... I played both so I can compare. Some rugby players use padding... but it's minimal at best... like maybe small cushioned pads to protect your shoulders. The hits in rugby are everybit as punishing as those in football, but without all the padding. My coach always said, "Soccer is a gentlemen's sport played by hooligans, Rugby is a hooligan's sport played by gentlemen" and I took pride in that.
:tu by the way, anyone see Argentina vs Wales?

MannyIsGod
06-12-2006, 02:11 PM
gee maybe cause it was invented in america, played by americans forever?

nahh.,Inventing a sport doesn't mean its not boring.

zero signal
06-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I play rugby since I was 6, its preety darn rough. I'm not too used to American Football though so I can't really say which is tougher. I expect the excessive padding in American Football kind of lessens the blows though Rugby is pretty intense. You're always thinking "oh shit I'm about to die" so you have lots of adrenaline to run like hell.

I wouldn't say that American football is less tough because of the pads, though. American pro football players are monsters, they'll kill each other without some protection at least.

zero signal
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
In general rugby is probably more brutal, especially as a youth sport, but what about at the pro level? I'm ignorant of the average size and strength of pro rugby players. How do they compare to pro football defenders?

jman3000
06-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Rugby is pretty intense. You're always thinking "oh shit I'm about to die" so you have lots of adrenaline to run like hell.

I wouldn't say that American football is less tough because of the pads, though. American football players are monsters, they'll kill each other without some protection at least.

Very true... football players and rugby players are built for different purposes. Football player's bodies are conditioned for fast bursts of speed in a relatively short amount of time while rugby players are usually conditioned more along the lines of traditional soccer players... but more physical.

race vs marathon.

Melmart1
06-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I enjoy both soccer and baseball and have never understood why fans of one feel the need to bash the other. I can't get into hockey unless there is a fight, but that doesn't mean that I make fun of those who love it. Different strokes.

jman3000
06-12-2006, 02:21 PM
In general rugby is probably more brutal, especially as a youth sport, but what about at the pro level? I'm ignorant of the average size and strength of pro rugby players. How do they compare to pro football defenders?

I would say that football has a big advantage on rugby in terms of quality of the athlete... but like I said before, they are built for different purposes. If you took an average lineman and told him to play forward on a rugby team, his stamina probably wouldnt let him last too long. I'm not sure about the back positions... I think those would be interchangeable between the 2 sports.

pache100
06-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I enjoy both soccer and baseball and have never understood why fans of one feel the need to bash the other. I can't get into hockey unless there is a fight, but that doesn't mean that I make fun of those who love it. Different strokes.

:tu

I have the ability to think a sport is not enjoyable to me without thinking there is something wrong with those who do like it. It's a matter of respect. And that's all I'm asking.

AlamoSpursFan
06-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Mexico looked very nervous out there yesterday. They played much better in the second half.

They were playing against Iran. At any moment the player they were facing off against could blow up. Literally. No wonder they were nervous.

:lol

jcrod
06-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Both are fun to play, but boring to watch.

mcornelio
06-12-2006, 03:01 PM
si Se Puede Fuckers!

Bob Lanier
06-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Sounds similar to what I'd say about any team sport in the world but basketball and football (soccer).

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Baseball is one of the worst invented sports ever.

Rugby and American football are completely different, both require tough athletes, but rugby is more of a marathon than a sprint, as already mentioned.

I play varsity football, but I've never played rugby before. I really want to play though, it sounds fun. My dad was a really good rugby and soccer player growing up in Argentina, but I never got the chance to play rugby because our family moved from Buenos Aires to the US when I was 1.

I've never actually watched a game of rugby, at least not one that I can remember. How hard are the tackles??? I heard somewhere that you're not allowed to spear someone or something along those lines...I thought you were though.

When you are comparing the hits of football and rugby, it's pretty versatile. Although you have a lot more padding in football, a lot of it is hard material. Shoulder pads aren't what I call really soft material, and a heavy, metal caged helmet to the ribs sucks.

timvp
06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Soccer is pretty damn boring to watch. The action comes in bursts but most of the game is pretty dull. You couldn't pay me to watch a soccer game that wasn't during the World Cup.

That said, the World Cup is pretty awesome. The entire world looks forward to it and the emotion involved is unmatched. That alone makes the games fun to watch.

But that doesn't mean that I like soccer. I don't think anyone who just watches the World Cup could be considered a soccer fan.

And as far as who I root for, it depends. I had a grandfather who played for Argentina so they usually are up there. Other than than, I usually root for the underdog. The US is usually filled with whiners who weren't good enough to play other sports, so I don't make a habit of going out of my way to root for them.

degenerate_gambler
06-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Anybody remember watching Australian Rules Football on espn?

Pretty entertaining game....except the refs wearing the safari hats looked kinda funny.

jman3000
06-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Anybody remember watching Australian Rules Football on espn?

Those are some crazy bastards.. I remember even rugby players called them insane.

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2006, 05:34 PM
And as far as who I root for, it depends. I had a grandfather who played for Argentina so they usually are up there.
Really???

That's pretty cool. What was his name?

ALVAREZ6
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Isn't New Zealand to rugby as Brazil is to soccer????