PDA

View Full Version : Amare's the next Penny Hardaway, you figure?

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 05:29 PM
While I don't wish ill-will upon one of the best young players in the game, the injuries have been compared to each other...and we've all seen what happened to Penny's career.

It'd be sad if the same happened to Amare, would any of you really be surprised? For the next few years we coul be dealing with "what could have been".

:elephant

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
(didn't realize I had to spell it out to get a discussion going on the topic, sorry)

Budkin
06-12-2006, 05:33 PM
As a big fan of the Magic back in the day and seeing Penny go through this I would not wish it on anyone. It's total frustration all around, for the player, the fans, etc. I can definately see it possibly happening to Amare but let's hope he is the exception to the normal rule of this injury (that it usually jeapordizes one's career).

Leetonidas
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Amare had it taken care of right away and he's very young. I think he'll recover almost completely.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 05:35 PM
As a big fan of the Magic back in the day and seeing Penny go through this I would not wish it on anyone. It's total frustration all around, for the player, the fans, etc. I can definately see it possibly happening to Amare but let's hope he is the exception to the normal rule of this injury (that it usually jeapordizes one's career).

Penny survived it though.

I don't think Amare would. Guys like Danny Manning, Grant Hill, Penny...those guys have other areas they can still contribute with. But what else does Amare have other than his pure athletecism and leaping ability?

:wakeup

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Amare had it taken care of right away and he's very young. I think he'll recover almost completely.

He sat out almost a whole season, and when he came back he didn't look that great. He had no explosion, no lift. That was BEFORE he hurt his other knee.

I don't see him coming back as the same player. Maybe 70-80% if that.

atxrocker
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
god i want this guy to fully recoop. amare is the real deal. its good he had it done while he is very young. i want amare and d.howard to run this league.

CosmicCowboy
06-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Chris Webber and Jason Kidd both had the same surgery (at an older age) and came back fine. The medical prognosis on Amare's knee is apparently excellent. It was actually his other knee that was giving him problems at the end of the season when he was trying to come back.

kris
06-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Chris Webber and Jason Kidd both had the same surgery (at an older age) and came back fine. The medical prognosis on Amare's knee is apparently excellent. It was actually his other knee that was giving him problems at the end of the season when he was trying to come back.

Man I must have missed those seasons.

Fabbs
06-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Man I must have missed those seasons.

No doubt. The year the Kings won the NBA title* he looked great. After the injury next season, he has never been close. I would say 70%. He can't shuffle his feet on D worth a darn nor can he explode for boards and shots like he used to.

They won. I don't recognize the 28 4th qtr FT fixed Game 6.

Fabbs
06-12-2006, 06:41 PM
While I hope the best for Amare, I would think 90% would be great news.

I see more like 80-85 with 90 being tops.

exstatic
06-12-2006, 06:55 PM
CWebb has never been the same, and Kidd's game is played close to the floor anyway, not really requiring any explosion.

There's a reason it was Amare's other knee that went blotto: either he didn't trust it, or it wasn't up to snuff, causing him to over stress the previously OK knee.

Amare may never be the same explosive player again.

polayer1
06-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Can someone refresh my memory on Tim Duncan's knee injury/surgery. Did he suffer the same injury in question?

exstatic
06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Tim had a scope to clean/even out a cart. tear. Nothing like microfracture.

StylisticS
06-12-2006, 08:38 PM

Wasn't Antonio Mcdyess in the same situation? He was young, it was taken care of right away, and he played for Phoenix. I think that's a better comparison between the two instead of Penny and Amare.

THE SIXTH MAN
06-12-2006, 08:48 PM
god i want this guy to fully recoop. amare is the real deal. its good he had it done while he is very young. i want amare and d.howard to run this league.
Same here, isnt't he like 22 or something? D howard and Amare are just so damn fun to watch.

texas84
06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Wasn't Antonio Mcdyess in the same situation? He was young, it was taken care of right away, and he played for Phoenix. I think that's a better comparison between the two instead of Penny and Amare.

Yah, I forgot about McDyess. He tried to come back to soon tho and it cost him what, 3 or 4 years until he got with Detroit? I hope Amare comes back too because I want to beat them again with as full and healthy team as possible.

But, yah he's young and he's taking his time to recover, but look at McDyess, Randolph, Webber... nowhere near the same after the surgery.

It's scary.

texas84
06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Chris Webber... came back fine.

Is this a joke? Webber went from being an explosive dunker, driver, and finisher to being a spot up mid-range jump shooter.

Honestly, it's sad seeing what happened to that Sacramento team. They were fun to watch and were only a game away from beating the mighty Lakers in Game 7 and ending the dynasty. Then Webber goes down the next year on a fluke play against the Mavs in the second round, comes back the middle of the next year nowhere near like his old self, gets traded halfway through the next season... and the team falls apart (Vlade gets back problems and retires, they trade Bobby Jackson and Doug Christie, and then trade Peja this year). That was a good team and probably should have beaten the Lakers in '02 and possibly the Spurs in '03. But Webber's injury changed him, and that teams window shut immediately.

Webber went from being a dominant star to being a 2nd or 3rd option because of that injury.

clubalien
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
kings never won the title

well if they did then
spurs won the 2006 nba title

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
either way he robb the suns of a max contract

midgetonadonkey
06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Amare will be the next Shawn Kemp.

ducks
06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I think their is a reason they are not trading marion
the gm said why would they trade him with amare coming off 2 yes 2 knee surgies

I hope he is ok and comes back 100%
I think though if you get a good offer for amare you move him and keep the other team intact
had they are been healthy who knows they could have beaten those damm mavs

Please_dont_ban_me
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
No doubt. The year the Kings won the NBA title* he looked great. After the injury next season, he has never been close. I would say 70%. He can't shuffle his feet on D worth a darn nor can he explode for boards and shots like he used to.

They won. I don't recognize the 28 4th qtr FT fixed Game 6.

Again, CWebb and others who have come back are different types of players.

CWebb can go with his little floater, and is a great passer. He was never known for his rebounding ability to begin with, so nobody really noticed it after his surgery. Amare can't do that. His consist of : 1) Jumping over you for a dunk 2) Jumping over you for a block 3) Jumping over you for a rebound.

If he can't jump anymore, what will he do?

polandprzem
06-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Again, CWebb and others who have come back are different types of players.

CWebb can go with his little floater, and is a great passer. He was never known for his rebounding ability to begin with, so nobody really noticed it after his surgery. Amare can't do that. His consist of : 1) Jumping over you for a dunk 2) Jumping over you for a block 3) Jumping over you for a rebound.

If he can't jump anymore, what will he do?

Say what?

nbascribe
06-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Okay I missed this. When did that happen? Amare's surgery was the same as Kerry Kittles. The type of surgery he had takes almost two years to rehab from. When Kittles had it done, he sat out almost two seasons. They drilled holes in the knee cap folks!!!

CWebb and JKidd never had micro fracture surgery during their NBA careers and different knee operations require different recovery times. Mostt knee surgeries are out patient things now; especially scopes and such. But micro fracture is intricate as hell and requires an extensive time to heal.

MrChug
06-13-2006, 08:15 AM
There was a time when Penny Hardaway was considered the best player in the NBA...and this was AT a time when MJ was in the league. If Amare reaches those heights, I will make the comparison. He quite possibly could, so I'm intrigued. But as for right now I can't really see the correlation. Good topic, though...props.

CosmicCowboy
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Okay I missed this. When did that happen? Amare's surgery was the same as Kerry Kittles. The type of surgery he had takes almost two years to rehab from. When Kittles had it done, he sat out almost two seasons. They drilled holes in the knee cap folks!!!

CWebb and JKidd never had micro fracture surgery during their NBA careers and different knee operations require different recovery times. Mostt knee surgeries are out patient things now; especially scopes and such. But micro fracture is intricate as hell and requires an extensive time to heal.

Huh????

They both had microfracture surgery and both had good seasons this year.

Did you actually watch either one play this year? I realize that Webber doesn't play the same physical style of basketball that Amare does but he looked damn good this year and put up Duncan type numbers in 75 games...(20/10/+21.44eff) CWebb looked awful for a couple of years after the surgery but looks to have made a complete recovery with physical skills comensurate with his age...

Amare_32
06-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Amare will be fine. He even said on Suns.com that all the pain in his knees is gone. All that is left is rebuilding his leg muscles. He is planning on possibly playing in the summer leaque before going to Japan for the World Championship game.
________
Vaporizer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmixODIvAtM)
________
SQUIRT_HOTXXX (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/squirt_hotxxx/)

06-13-2006, 12:51 PM
While I don't wish ill-will upon one of the best young players in the game, the injuries have been compared to each other...and we've all seen what happened to Penny's career.

Amare and Penny both had microfracture sugury, but the similarities end there.

In Penny's case, the microfracture was a last ditch attempt to save a knee that had been bone-on-bone for quite some time. Not to mention that (per Dr. Carter) Penny was unmotivated and lazy.

Amare has several things working in his favor. First is his youth, second is the size of the lesion, and third is the location of the lesion - which is on a non weight bearing part of the knee. Plus (again, per Dr. Carter) Amare has great work ethic and is motivated to pick up where he left off.

In regards to the other knee. Amare had a cyst removed. There was no defect in the knee.

All that said. The microfracture is a scary surgery. It is only natural to assume the worst, especially with cases like Penny’s. However, there have been success stories as well. John Stockton had microfracture surgery in 1997 and recovered completely. Not many people know this, but Kevin Johnson had microfracture surgery in the early 1990's (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=50365), and (obviously) went on to have career years. Another example player who is having post-mictrofracture success is Zach Randolph (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/zach_randolph/index.html).

It is a scary surgery, no doubt about it. But there have been success stories for more than a few players. I imagine that we will be adding Amare’s name to that list in the future.