PDA

View Full Version : dallas paper predicating sweep :rolleyes

ducks
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Finals will end in Miami
Monday, June 12, 2006

Attention, Mavs fans: In the NBA Finals ticket package you split with your business partner, here's hoping you didn't draw Games 6 and 7.

The only way the Mavs come back from Miami is on a float.

Map the parade route. Schedule the sick day.

Train the fire hoses on Mark Cuban.

Miami's chances of getting back here?

Good as a Shaq free throw.

What else are you supposed to think after the Mavs' incredibly easy 99-85 victory Sunday put the locals up 2-0?

Pat Riley knows what we'll say. He's heard the same in virtually each round of the playoffs.

"We were history," he said, chuckling at the media reaction. "I'm sure we're history right now."

Couldn't have said it better, actually.

Certainly Riley said it better than Shaquille O'Neal, who disappeared from this series long before he left American Airlines Center on Sunday without a word.

Never got off the bench in the fourth quarter. Came up with a career playoff-low 5 points on 2 of 5 shooting.

And that after Miami vowed to get him more touches than he had in Game 1.

Even when he got the ball, Shaq didn't exactly help himself. He's now 2-of-16 from the free throw line in the Finals, which pretty much sums up Miami's effort, too.

Correction: On behalf of my colleagues at SportsDay, I'd like to apologize for the half-dozen geniuses who picked the Heat to win the NBA Finals.

Geez. I feel guilty for picking the Mavs to win in six.

In pivotal Game 2, where an angry Shaq figured to wreak havoc after going ignored in the opener and Dwyane Wade was supposed to be close to getting over his cold, the so-called best 1-2 punch in the game was KO'd.

Question: How has the best set of NBA playoffs in memory come to this ugly end?

Answer: At least it ought to be quick. Not sure how merciful.

Think this series is still too early to call? Want to remind of the San Antonio series, when the Mavs went up 3-1 and needed a miracle three-point play from Dirk Nowitzki just to get into overtime in Game 7?

Forget it. San Antonio was a far more worthy opponent. Phoenix, too.

Even Memphis wasn't as grisly as Miami.

In these Finals, only Dallas beats Dallas.

Take Sunday's first half. Nowitzki and Josh Howard were a combined 3-of-10 in the first quarter, a continuation of Game 1's malaise. And their teammates weren't much better.

Shot 33.3 percent for the quarter.

Turned it over six times.

And still led by one.

Not until midway through the second quarter did the Mavs finally take off, specifically on the 3-point shooting of Jerry Stackhouse.

Otherwise, the Mavs' didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Nowitzki had his usual 26 points and 16 rebounds.

Dallas' depth, defense and versatility simply made the Heat look old and slow and confused and about two games short of summer vacation.

Who's going to beat the Mavs now? Not Wade. Not when he's going to have less time to recover between games.

Shaq? Not when he's taking half as many shots as Jason Williams took in the first half.

Antoine Walker had more shots, too, and seemed to think it was a good idea afterward.

Question: Who do you think gets booted first in the Miami Heat version of Survivor, Walker or Williams?

Come to think of it, maybe it wouldn't have mattered if Shaq had the ball any more. Any time the ball went into the post, and the Mavs moved in, Shaq simply passed out of the double team.

Note to the rest of the big, bad East: Do you think now it's a good idea to double Shaq?

"They know who to stay home on," Riley said of the Mavs' defense, "and who to leave open."

Give Avery Johnson credit. He and Del Harris have come up with another great game plan.

But don't forget the Heat's contribution. Riley hasn't.

"We'll obviously have to play a helluva lot better," he said, "than we played here."

And even that won't be good enough. Four games, maybe five, and that's it.

Question: Do they still make ticker tape

snowboarder
06-12-2006, 10:50 PM
its going 6

adrienne
06-12-2006, 11:00 PM
At least 5, probably 6...Miami is playing terribly, but they are not a bad team. In front of their home crowd and with their backs to the wall, they will definately win a game or two IMO.

Phil Hellmuth
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
one injury is all it takes.

DubMcDub
06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
He's an opinion columnist. Damn him for offering his opinion!

ponky
06-13-2006, 01:06 AM
one injury is all it takes.

Are you referring to Haslem's injury or hoping for a Mavs innjury?

1. Haslem's injury doesn't matter, it's not like he's the make or break for the Heat.
2. Mavs have some injuries right now (JHo) but they are playing through them.

Mavs in at least 5, maybe 6. I initially said six but it depends on whether they relax or not in Miami. To the original op, way not to highlight the "maybe FIVE" part.

Phil Hellmuth
06-13-2006, 05:30 AM
Dirk goes down, heat win series.

RON ARTEST
06-13-2006, 05:35 AM
thats just what your hoping. :lol

CubanMustGo
06-13-2006, 08:23 AM
City of Dallas announced plans for victory parade yesterday.

J.T.
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM

City of _allas announced plans for victory parade on April 21st.

Amarelooms
06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Why is your ID JT? We all know that belongs to the JET....you should change that or become a Jason Terry fan lol!!!

Holmes_Fans
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Only a spurs fan would wish injury on another player. Typical classless shit.

Shank
06-13-2006, 09:52 AM

Whether it's announced publicly or not, every team that makes the playoffs has a plan for a parade in place. It's when it becomes more of a reality that the specifics are outlined.

Amare_32
06-13-2006, 11:30 AM
It won't be a sweep. The media are too quick to count the Heat out. This series will go back to Dallas. THey will take the next 2 out of 3 from the Mavs. I won't even be surprised if the Heat go up 3-2.
________
Vaporizer wiki (http://vaporizerwiki.com)
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

SpurForLife
06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
It won't be a sweep. The media are too quick to count the Heat out. This series will go back to Dallas. THey will take the next 2 out of 3 from the Mavs. I won't even be surprised if the Heat go up 3-2.

Miami win 3 straight??? Forgettaboutit!!!

Amare_32
06-13-2006, 11:38 AM

Anything is possible. Did anyone think they were going to beat the Pistons?
________
Honda P series (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_P_series)
________
Goddesszaira Cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/goddesszaira)

mabber
06-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Only a spurs fan would wish injury on another player. Typical classless shit.

He doesn't appear to be wishing for an injury. Just an opinion that if Dirk goes down the Heat win the series. That's a fair but debatable assessment.

pussyface
06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
although i was convinced all regular season that detroit would beat miami, by the time they played each other in the playoffs i thought miami had a great chance to beat them. doesnt apply here.

rayray2k8
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Didnt we do that last year as well before we game 6?
I think Piston fans would remember that.
:lol

Goons
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Newspapers just want to sell copies of their newspaper. Every Mavs fan in Dallas wants it to be a sweep, (as would every hometown fan of any team) so the paper prints it and they buy it to validate their wish.

Fortunately, basketball is played on the court and not in the newspaper. A sweep would be sweet! If Dallas dominates them again tonight, I think it will be a sweep. On the other hand, it would be nice for them to a least make a series out of it...

LEONARD
06-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Who cares...it's a PAPER!! AJ certainly isn't planning a victory celebration...that's all that matter.

Any Mavs fan that thinks it's over is an IDIOT...

I still say Mavs in 6...

City of _allas announced plans for victory parade on April 21st.

It's funny that people still refer to Dallas as _allas... :lol

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Maybe we should go with Dallasft; you know, since Dallas is always getting those extra free throws at the end.

:fro

MadDog73
06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Who cares...it's a PAPER!! AJ certainly isn't planning a victory celebration...that's all that matter.

Any Mavs fan that thinks it's over is an IDIOT...

I still say Mavs in 6...

I think it's over. If Miami wins tonight I'll be shocked.

Yes, it's the big D that held Shaq to 5 points... something even the Pistons couldn't do.

_allas moniker is about as fitting as "boring" Spurs.

I H8 Mavs Fans
06-13-2006, 01:36 PM
A Mavs fan being overconfident? the hell you say

LEONARD
06-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Maybe we should go with Dallasft; you know, since Dallas is always getting those extra free throws at the end.

:fro

Even more lame... :smokin

leemajors
06-13-2006, 01:53 PM

not as lame as I H8 Mavs Fans' sig, past and present versions.

I H8 Mavs Fans
06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
not as lame as I H8 Mavs Fans' sig, past and present versions.

And what is wrong with this one?

leemajors
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
it's just stupid.

I H8 Mavs Fans
06-13-2006, 02:04 PM
it's just stupid.

There, I put the apostrophe on Parents where it belongs, can't get nothing past you can I?

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2006, 02:21 PM

I expected you to think so.

:cooldevil

leemajors
06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
There, I put the apostrophe on Parents where it belongs, can't get nothing past you can I?

that has nothing to do with how asinine it is.

Shank
06-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Parents' mistakes

DubMcDub
06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Anything is possible. Did anyone think they were going to beat the Pistons?

Not a good comparison at all. Nobody thought the Heat were going to beat the Pistons before the series started--before anybody had seen how the two teams would matchup in the playoffs. After they won game 1 and game 3, a lot of people thought they would win.

It's a lot different to not think a team has a chance before Game 1 and to be proven wrong than to not think a team has a chance down 2-0.

Amare_32
06-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Ahem! Ahem! :elephant :lol :lmao
________
Buy Vapir Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/vapir-air-one)
________
Web shows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

ShoogarBear
06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Nice. Who was this reporter? And how does he get to keep his job?

Winnipeg_Spur
06-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Wow, I sure am glad I didn't post in this thread...

I love this game! :)

Holmes_Fans
06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I swear Spurs fans would rather see dallas lose than there team win. Half of the members names here are dallas bashing.

ducks
06-21-2006, 07:46 PM
dallas melted under pressure poor babies

Chris Childs
06-21-2006, 07:49 PM
lol