PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: Mavericks rise as DA once did

spurschick
06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Web Posted: 06/13/2006 12:00 AM CDT
San Antonio Express-News

MIAMI — The Mavericks are just five days into their first Finals, and they look like they could be playing these games for another five years. Dirk Nowitzki is still getting better, and Mark Cuban is still getting richer.

But things happen, and five years is a long time in this sport. The case of Derek Anderson says that. In 2001, he appeared to be indispensable to the Spurs, yet he was so forgotten Sunday, he didn't play a second for a team that once trailed by 27 points.

So the Mavericks might be beginning a dynastic run. Or they might look back some day, as Anderson does now, and wonder what happened.

When Anderson looks back, he sees what he also sees tonight. The Mavericks. If not for one play against them, he might have stayed a Spur.

Anderson had arrived in San Antonio in 2000 with a one-year contract and a golden opportunity to earn more gold. The Spurs needed someone to score and create, and his talents fit. Everyone called him DA, as well as the X Factor, because he became the scoring option who took pressure off Tim Duncan.

He was the second-leading scorer on a team that put together the league's best regular-season record. But then he looked skittish in the first round against Minnesota, and he became the X-ray factor in the second round.

Anderson went high for a score in the series opener, and Dallas' Juwan Howard fouled him hard enough to earn an ejection. Anderson left the series for good, however, when he separated his right shoulder in the fall to the floor.

"There's no replacing Derek," David Robinson said then, and everyone nodded. The Spurs still beat the Mavericks in five games, but the Lakers swept the Spurs in the next series.

That's also when Anderson, with too much time on his hands, showed some cracks in his personality. With the Western Conference finals still going on, with his teammates getting embarrassed, he threw out a few contractual demands.

Avery Johnson, among others in the Spurs' locker room, had heard Anderson talk about money often that season. It's a business to all of them, but Anderson was notably obsessed.

Little wonder, when the Spurs hesitated to pay him what he wanted, the worst came out in Anderson. When the Blazers bid high, with more years in a $48million package, Anderson's anger grew. The Spurs reluctantly came back with an offer closer to Portland's, but Anderson's mind was made up.

Some in the Spurs' front office feared they had made a terrible mistake. In those days, before Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, the Spurs were old and getting older. Would Duncan leave the franchise for that reason?

But it was Anderson whose fortunes fell. The Blazers bickered and imploded, and Anderson became just another player in a talent cesspool. Last summer told how far he had regressed. The Blazers cut him using the luxury-tax amnesty — choosing to pay off the same contract Anderson once saw as the only thing that mattered.

He signed a minimum deal with Houston, thinking there might be a role for him next to Tracy McGrady. Anderson could still shoot, and his court sense was still intact. But the Rockets saw Anderson as Portland eventually did — as a 31-year-old without the zip to create anymore. The Rockets traded him to Miami in February for a player they cut shortly after.

Now he's on the end of an awful bench that Jerry Stackhouse outscores by himself. Pat Riley ought to try Anderson, because he couldn't be any worse than his teammates.

Anderson has told reporters that sitting is "absolutely, 100 percent frustrating. I've been playing nine-straight years, and all of a sudden just, bam, cold turkey."

But not playing for other championships bothers him, too. He mixed with the Spurs so well that he wonders what would have happened had he never gotten hurt. "Who knows what I would have done," Anderson told the Houston Chronicle this season. "They've won with Ginobili. Who knows?"

What has followed answers that question. Anderson, in tenacity and toughness, doesn't compare to Ginobili.

But no one knew that in 2001, when Anderson was precisely what the Spurs needed. And that's why, ultimately, what comes next is always a guess.

The Mavericks' run should just be starting, right?

Just as Anderson's run once was.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA061306.1D.buck.129b8cb9.html

J.T.
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
All this Mav Dynasty shit is sickening. Wait till they fucking win a championship first. As far as I'm concerned, they still have zero. And as a Spurs fan, I know you can go up 2-0 and still lose.

Extra Stout
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Dynasty talk should not begin until a team is gunning for its third title in four years.

Goons
06-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Dynasty talk should not begin until a team is gunning for its third title in four years.

Even as a Mavs fan, I have to agree with this. According to the Dallas media, the Mavs will not lose another game for the next 4 years. I just hope the team isn't buying into the hype. How this can even be written before they've won ONE championship is beyond ridiculous. The pissed-ons were going to be a "dynasty" too. LeBron has a whole "era" that is supposedly being ushered in... every young black "gonna be the next superstar" is "the next Jordan" except Dirk, who is "the next Bird". Puh-leeeease...

davi78239
06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
we would have beaten lakers that year

freaking howard and his foul

Don't know about that one. The Lakers were pretty damn hot that playoff run. Maybe we would of won 1 or 2, but I still think the Lakers go on to win that series.

rayray2k8
06-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Good article..
I was one of many who thought the spurs were in trouble when they let D.A go to Portland. That was until we had gotten Manu and Tony. I imagne that 1 of the 2 would go, so losing DA by being greed, wasnt such a bad thing after all.

So im glad to know that bitch is suffering.
I sure some who read this, noticed that he insulted Manu by saying basicly that "if they won it with manu, then they would have been a dynasty with me"
Yeah.. right..

Extra Stout
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
we would have beaten lakers that year

freaking howard and his foul
Please explain how a playoff pussy like DA was going to prevent the anal gangrape the Lakers performed on the Spurs.

Leetonidas
06-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Who knows what could've happend. Who cares. We've won 2 championships since then and it's DA's fault for being an asshole and leaving that he sits at the end of a shitty bench and has no hardware to show for it. Fuck him.

ChumpDumper
06-13-2006, 02:40 PM
A pretty shitty comparison.

The Mavericks might be a dynasty or they might be bought out by Portland?

td4mvp3
06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Even as a Mavs fan, I have to agree with this. According to the Dallas media, the Mavs will not lose another game for the next 4 years. I just hope the team isn't buying into the hype. How this can even be written before they've won ONE championship is beyond ridiculous. The pissed-ons were going to be a "dynasty" too. LeBron has a whole "era" that is supposedly being ushered in... every young black "gonna be the next superstar" is "the next Jordan" except Dirk, who is "the next Bird". Puh-leeeease...
i think such talk started with the pistons. everyone seemed to be really enamored with their team play-no stars-tough defense stuff and then such a big deal was made of their reg. season run, that they became some kind of de facto dynasty in the making even though they'd only won the thing once with the current crop. the hype just flows all of a sudden so that anyone who wins anything is the greatest or near to it of all time.

angryllama
06-13-2006, 04:04 PM
A pretty shitty comparison.

The Mavericks might be a dynasty or they might be bought out by Portland?

Yeah...that was a pretty stupid article.

It was nothing but a pep really cheerleading piece to keep Spur fans' collective hopes up.

Dallas should be much better next season. SA should still compete as well though. No need for this cheerleading writer to blow sunshine into places it shouldnt be.

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah...that was a pretty stupid article.

It was nothing but a pep really cheerleading piece to keep Spur fans' collective hopes up.

I'm glad Buck wrote this column. I had forgotten that there might be some glimmer of hope for the Spurs next season. Until Buck reminded me that all things can deviate from an expected course, I figured that the Mavericks would challenge the 95-96 Bulls for regular season supremacy and the 00-01 Lakers for playoff supremacy, leaving my helpless Spurs in their awe-inspiring wake. I'm thankful that Buck Harvey reminded me that there alway some hope!

ChumpDumper
06-13-2006, 05:11 PM
It was nothing but a pep really cheerleading piece to keep Spur fans' collective hopes up.Not really; it was just an article to shit on an injury-prone player that the Spurs were lucky went somewhere else for more money. The Mavs just happened to be the team he's (not) playing against.

And dynasty talk is bullshit.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I have not been reading the DMN lately but if they are seriously talking dynasty, perhaps this article's ulterior message was to convey how injuries can turn around even the league's best team.

Mavs were injured all season, finally they are healthy and they are putting on a dominating playoff performance against every team but the Spurs. If they stay injured going into the playoffs, who knows what happens. (mavs fags, dont mention KVH, it only makes you look stupider)