PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer: Rove won't be charged in CIA leak case

thepeopleslawyer
06-13-2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/06/13/rove.cia/index.html

Lawyer: Rove won't be charged in CIA leak case

Tuesday, June 13, 2006; Posted: 11:49 a.m. EDT (15:49 GMT)
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- White House senior adviser Karl Rove has been told by special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald that he will not be charged in the CIA leak case, according to Robert Luskin, Rove's lawyer.

"In deference to the pending case, we will not make any further public statements about the subject matter of the investigation," Luskin said in a written statement Tuesday. "We believe that the special counsel's decision should put an end to the baseless speculation about Mr. Rove's conduct."

A grand jury has heard testimony from Rove in five appearances, most recently April 26.

After that appearance, Luskin issued a statement saying, "In connection with this appearance, the special counsel has advised Mr. Rove that he is not a target of the investigation."

A Rove spokesman said there would be no statement from Rove on Tuesday concerning the matter.

The White House said President Bush had been informed of the decision and expressed satisfaction.

"We are pleased that the special counsel has concluded his deliberations," White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said. "Karl is, as he has been throughout the process, fully focused on the task at handcrafting and building support for the president's agenda." (Watch how Rove announcement helps the White House -- 2:17)

Asked if the CIA leak investigation is still continuing, Fitzgerald's spokesman, Randall Samborn, told The Associated Press there would be no comment.

At issue in the case has been how covert CIA operative Valerie Plame's name was disclosed to the media.

No one has been charged with actually leaking Plame's name.

On Monday, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a former aide to Vice President Cheney, appeared in court to update a judge on preparations for his trial in the case.

Libby, who resigned in October as chief of staff to Cheney, is fighting charges he lied to investigators and a grand jury about his knowledge of Plame.

Plame's husband, U.S. diplomat Joe Wilson, had openly challenged part of the Bush administration's prewar rationale for waging war on Iraq. But Libby's defense counsel has asserted there was no sinister effort to punish the Wilsons by revealing the identity of his wife to several reporters.

Tuesday's announcement cheered Republicans and disappointed Democrats, according to Associated Press reports.

"The fact is this, I thought it was wrong when you had people like Howard Dean and (Sen.) Harry Reid presuming that he was guilty," Republican Party Chairman Ken Mehlman said on Fox News Channel's "Fox and Friends."

"He doesn't belong in the White House. If the president valued America more than he valued his connection to Karl Rove, Karl Rove would have been fired a long time ago," Howard Dean, the Democratic Party chairman, said Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show. "So I think this is probably good news for the White House, but it's not very good news for America."

Plame's CIA status was publicly disclosed eight days after her husband, Wilson, accused the Bush administration of twisting prewar intelligence to exaggerate the Iraqi threat from weapons of mass destruction.

In 2002, the CIA dispatched Wilson to Africa to check out intelligence that Iraq had an agreement to acquire uranium yellowcake from Niger, and Wilson had concluded that there was no such arrangement.

Wilson alleges that the Bush administration leaked his wife's identity as a CIA employee in retaliation for his July 2003 op-ed in The New York Times disputing the claim that Iraq sought uranium in Niger.

Bush had cited the uranium claim in his 2003 State of the Union address as the invasion of Iraq loomed.

Fitzgerald was looking into why Rove initially did not disclose a conversation with Time magazine's Matt Cooper that included a discussion of the CIA job held by Plame.

Rove said he did not recall the conversation, and his team has noted repeatedly that he is the one who brought the information to the attention of prosecutors.

bonzi_isaspurskiller
06-13-2006, 11:52 AM
^I agree.

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
So that was the loud noise that woke me up this morning... It was the explosion of several thousand heads in the Blogosphere.

Burly_Man
06-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Guess that means that Cheney is in Fitzgerald's sights, not Rove.

What Luskin says:

We believe that the Special Counsel's decision should put an end to the baseless speculation about Mr. Rove's conduct.

What Luskin does not say:
This definitively clears Mr. Rove of any suspicion of wrongdoing.

Rove's lawyer is not saying he (Rove) is exonerated.

Nbadan
06-13-2006, 04:21 PM
The Speculation now on the blogosphere is that Rove has flipped and is now a state's witness...

What exactly does the phrase "doesn’t anticipate bringing charges" mean? Otis has some thoughts:

The language used by Luskin strongly suggests that Rove got immunity in exchange for his cooperation (it is probably the same deal I have been suggesting was offered to Novak way back when. . . )Otherwise he never would have testified in the Grand Jury to begin with.

“Does not anticipate seeking charges” means that if Rove testifies at Libby’s trial as expected, and as his agreement no doubt provides for him to testify, (lawyers call it providing “ongoing cooperation”), then all will be well for him. But if he “goes sideways” on Fitz and testifies differently from what is now expected, he could be charged–w/perjury certainly, and his deal to avoid criminal liability in the larger conspiracy could be “off” as he could face charges in that as well.

All told, a very standard deal and not unexpected. The more interesting issue and the reason for optimism now is that he couldn’t have gotten such a deal without having something important to offer Fitz. The “no prosecution” letter pretty much guarantees that he that he made a good deal. Either he offered up Cheney himself, or he offered up Libby to guarantee a conviction so Fitz can roll up Libby to Cheney. Either way, for me, I see Cheney going down and that’s something I can live with!

I have to say that immunity in exchange for cooperation is certainly something that has crossed my mind after the unusual multiple testimonial appearances before the grand jury that Rove made. And I have to wonder what that does mean, if so. And when we’ll find out.

This is much harder on the outside looking in, even though it’s much less work in terms of juggling evidence and the grand jury secrecy issues versus the public’s right to know questions that I head to deal with when I was prosecuting cases.

Bottom line for me: it’s not over until Fitzgerald says it is over.

Firedoglake (http://www.firedoglake.com/2006/06/13/some-things-to-contemplate/#comments)

xrayzebra
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh my goodness. Is dan, boutons and elpimpo4cc on suicide watch. How can
this be. They already had them in chains and on the perp walk. :madrun

Nbadan
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Why? Luskin is a lawyer and lawyers parse words. 'Doesn't anticipate' is a far cry from a complete Rove exoneration.

xrayzebra
06-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Warden: Keep a very close eye on dan, he is a little upset today.

Nbadan
06-13-2006, 05:03 PM
Whether Rove is guilty or not, we now know that the WH misleading reporters is not a crime...

Associated Press
Analysis: Telling FBI the Truth Saved Rove
By PETE YOST , 06.13.2006, 02:07 PM

The decision not to charge Karl Rove shows there often are no consequences for misleading the public.

In 2003, while Rove allowed the White House to tell the news media that he had no role in leaking Valerie Plame's CIA identity, the presidential aide was secretly telling the FBI the truth.

It's now known that Rove had discussed Plame's CIA employment with conservative columnist Robert Novak, who exposed her identity less than a week later, citing two unidentified senior administration officials.

Rove's truth-telling to the FBI saved him from indictment.

And by misleading reporters, the White House saved itself from a political liability during the 2004 presidential campaign.

So while Rove may not face an indictment, he did have his WH aids lie to reporters about what he knew about the Wilson leak, but since when did credibility matter in this WH?