PDA

View Full Version : Reaction from the U.S. camp after ugly loss to Czechs

MaNuMaNiAc
06-13-2006, 07:49 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/grant_wahl/06/13/us.fallout/index.html

BERLIN -- We're 14 games into World Cup '06, and the U.S. still has the distinction of owning the tournament's most lopsided loss, Monday's humiliating 3-0 blowout against the Czech Republic. I was on an insane magazine deadline and didn't get a chance to chime in here ... until now. With a must-win game coming against Italy on Saturday, here's what's on the minds of those in the know around the U.S. camp in Hamburg:

• What is up with DaMarcus Beasley? For the past month the SI cover boy has been a shadow of the relentless 20-year-old who was so dangerous against Portugal in the first game of World Cup '02. Unable to beat anyone on the dribble, Beasley is hampered even more by his placement on the right side, where he's unable to deliver a cross with his right foot.

Yet the most surprising aspect of Beasley's slide has been the way his frustration has bubbled over into biting criticisms of U.S. coach Bruce Arena in the media. A year ago Arena was telling anyone who would listen that Beasley was "our best player." Not long after the U.S. arrived in Germany, however, Beasley began the fireworks by saying he was "irritated" by Arena's unwillingness to reveal his lineup to the team until just before game time. (Arena told me he spoke privately with Beasley about that incident, after which Beasley wasn't made available to the media in the five days before the Czech game.)

Still, Arena decided to stick with Beasley as a starter on Monday, hoping that he could get behind Czech left back Marek Jankulovski while neutralizing the Janky Man's runs on the left side. "Beasley's not in the best form," Arena told me a few days before the game, "but he's a tough bastard in big games."

After Beasley was invisible for almost all of Monday's loss, Arena was blunt in the postgame press conference: "We got nothing out of Beasley." But unlike the other players Arena criticized by name, Beasley zapped right back. "I was back there defending the whole time," Beasley said. "I don't know what he wants me to do." After the U.S. switched to a 3-5-2 formation in the second half, Beasley said, "I was always defending the whole time. That's how the game went. Next time I'll leave the guy and play as a striker instead of a midfielder and then we'll see what happens."

I doubt Beasley is in any danger of getting sent home for his comments, but Arena said on Tuesday that he would probably sit down with Beasley again in the near future. A year after Arena hailed him as his best player, it's highly doubtful that Beasley will be in the lineup against Italy on Saturday.

• An interesting nugget: When the U.S. began its exhaustive scouting of the Czech Republic, Italy and Ghana six months ago, Arena delegated the extensive research on the Czechs to assistant Mooch Myernick and on Ghana to assistant Curt Onalfo. What about Italy? Arena saved that one for himself.

• Arena told me that he didn't start John O'Brien against the Czechs because he knew O'Brien was not fit enough to go 90 minutes and that he didn't want to start the game already one sub down. O'Brien developed a sore back last week, which hindered his training somewhat in the days leading up to the game. He did play 45 minutes, however, and may get the start against Italy.

• Who takes the blame for the Czech debacle? I'm a little surprised that Arena (a huge ACC basketball fan) didn't follow the gospel according to UNC's Roy Williams: When we win the players should get the credit, and when we lose the coach should get the blame (even if the coach doesn't really believe that). Arena didn't announce he was taking the blame for Monday's loss until he was directly asked if he deserved some on Tuesday.

On Monday, Arena had singled out Beasley, Kasey Keller and Landon Donovan for criticism. And early in Tuesday's press conference, Arena once again put the onus on the players: "The reason we lost the game is their players played better than our players," he said. "Individually, they were better and won most of the matchups on the field. At the end of the day, it is about that."

Was there anything else he would have done differently against the Czechs?

"No, actually. I wish we would have played a little better."

Later, though, he was asked how much he and the coaching staff were at fault. "I take all the blame," Arena said. "Check all the boxes. You can blame it all on me. I accept that. Players play a little bit of a role too, but I'm willing to take the big hit on that one."

That's what he said, at least. Does he believe that? I doubt it. But was it something that he probably should have volunteered earlier? You bet.

It does not bode well when internal strife begins right before a key match against Italy... this is supposed to be the time to stick together

FromWayDowntown
06-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure that Arena has enough of a track record to start throwing his players under the bus like he did. They may be at fault (partially or wholly) -- though the Czechs deserve all kinds of credit for their play -- but even if they are completely at fault, you don't do that to them unless you have some sort of incredible record as a coach of player; even then, I'm not sure that you do it.

Arena was wrong.

MannyIsGod
06-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Hmm, I disagree FWDT. I don't think he threw them under the bus, but it was evident to anyone who watched them play that they played with very little effort. I think thats the main reason everyone was so upset. Not because they lost, but because the way they played. And I think after a loss of that nature, you have to get through to your players in some way. Bruce Arena has never been one to go public, but perhaps this tells you the level of his frustration with his players at this point.

Donovan responded well to what Arena said, but Beasly sure as hell didn't. Beasly will probably end up on the bench, and I can't say I'm sorry about that. I think moving Landon back into the midfield and letting Eddie Johnson start will go a long way to removing the lethargic look to the team.