PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Rods.

Das Texan
06-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Alright, Let's see if any of you can be useful to me for a change.

:lol

I am in the market for a new fishing rod and reel. I'd like to get it all for as far under $100 as possible, but still to be a good product.

I'll mostly use it for fishing off a pier, though I could use it in some other locations....so I probably wont be catching anything over 20 lbs.

Any suggestions? Its been wayyyyy too long since I bought one and I dont want a piece of crap you find for 20 bucks with a rod/reel combo at some stores.

Also any good stores that you can purchase said items, either online or bricks and mortar.

Thanks!

IceColdBrewski
06-13-2006, 08:04 PM
In my experience, an Ugly Stick with a Zebco 33 reel on it can't be beat for the price.

Das Texan
06-13-2006, 08:24 PM
anyone ever been to cabela's?

SequSpur
06-13-2006, 11:42 PM

Yep. Pretty cool store. We went to the grand opening last year. There is a topic in here somewhere I believe.

tw05baller
06-13-2006, 11:51 PM
In my experience, an Ugly Stick with a Zebco 33 reel on it can't be beat for the price.

lol reminds me of the first austin powers when he attacks bazzles mom

Das Texan
06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
i might go check out the one in ft worth tomorrow evening.

spursgurl101
06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
try the Pro Angler 4000.
It's awesome

DJREN37
06-14-2006, 07:44 AM
There is a real sweet spinning combo at Sportsmans Warehouse made by Penn. I t cost around $69.99 and the reel has 11 bearings for real smooth retrieval. Rod is medium action and 7ft long. This is perfect for what ur looking for. If not Pfluger President spinning combo for $75 is another sweet combo.

Taco
06-14-2006, 07:50 AM

Great store they have a great website

if you go to Cabelas take your camera they have neat setups

http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=BVQYOY5GRWNGPTQSNOLSCNOOCJVYQI WE?_requestid=33395&_requestid=12519

BTW

Where do you go fishing at?

Taco
06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=catalog&target=weeklyad&pgNum=18

pache100
06-14-2006, 08:31 AM
i might go check out the one in ft worth tomorrow evening.

The Bass Pro in Grapevine is excellent, too; I LOVE that place - you catch them when they are having a big sale and you can get some great stuff really cheap. I have never been to any Cabela's in Texas, but the one in Dundee, Michigan is very cool. I do think I prefer Bass Pro to Cabela's, though.

Also, try this place: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
I have gotten some unbelievable fishing bargains at this website; they have great deals on clothes, too.

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
You need to be careful if you are planning to principally fish salt water...A lot of the cheaper products out there are subject to corrosion...spend just a little more and you can get a rig that will last you a lifetime...I only buy Shimano reels...they are great products, do well in salt and the warranty is suberb...I dunk mine (both baitcasters and spinning) all the time when wading/kayaking...you can get a great spinning reel for $50-$60 (the Sedona or Sahara). I also like All Star rods...they have good rod blanks and corrosion proof fuji guides and seats (again about $50-$65)...you should probably go with a medium/heavy or heavy action on the rod for pier fishing...if you are going to fish "inside" in the bay you might want to get a little lighter rod...I use a shimano sahara with a medium/fast action rod wading with croakers and load the reel with 20# fireline....no "stretch" on the line and superb "feel" for super light trout pickups....for other bay fishing (lures or plastics) I use shimano bait casters on appropriate weight rods but those are definitely out of your price range... the rig I reccomended will still work for those applications...

Taco
06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Also, try this place: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
I have gotten some unbelievable fishing bargains at this website; they have great deals on clothes, too.

COOL SOMETHING ELSE FOR ME TO BOOKMARK

pache100
06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
COOL SOMETHING ELSE FOR ME TO BOOKMARK

:tu

I check it every day. Things change pretty fast on there. They will also let you sign up for email alerts.

AlamoSpursFan
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
My favorite rod/reel combo is a Mitchell 500/Browning rod setup I scored at the boat show for $30 bucks a few years back. The dude who ran the booth was at lunch and it didn't have a price on it so his wife just guessed $30. Needless to say, she guessed wrong! :lol

I also picked up a heavy Shakespeare combo at the WalMart in Aransas Pass that hasn't let me down at Port A.

Taco
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Let's Go Fishing!!!!!

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Let's Go Fishing!!!!!

just got back Sunday.

pache100
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Let's Go Fishing!!!!!

I'm ready! Where we goin'? Never mind, it don't matter...http://i5.tinypic.com/14ctt95.gif

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
speaking of going fishing...a friend of mine just bought one of these...(32' Fountain)...sucker runs 75mph...we will start going offshore next month...

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/boats/fish/images/32CC_mn.jpg

tlongII
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
speaking of going fishing...a friend of mine just bought one of these...(32' Fountain)...sucker runs 75mph...we will start going offshore next month...

http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/boats/fish/images/32CC_mn.jpg

Did it come with the chick in the bikini?

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
^^^^:lmao

Sonia_TX
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Going fishing this weekend in Port Aransas/Corpus for Fathers Day. This is the first FD w/out Grandpa and he LOVED fishing so we're going for him. :( All of us girls know how to fish but as far as what rod/reel to get I can't help you. Gramps had a collection (there are about 30 of them in our garage right now) of rods/reels he would fix up and sell.

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 11:58 AM
where is the mud bridge?

Taco
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
just got back Sunday.

We went a week a go saturday and then again this past sunday to Calavaras Lake we just caught some channel cat's

Taco
06-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm ready! Where we goin'? Never mind, it don't matter...http://i5.tinypic.com/14ctt95.gif

:lol

Taco
06-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Going fishing this weekend in Port Aransas/Corpus for Fathers Day. This is the first FD w/out Grandpa and he LOVED fishing so we're going for him. :( All of us girls know how to fish but as far as what rod/reel to get I can't help you. Gramps had a collection (there are about 30 of them in our garage right now) of rods/reels he would fix up and sell.

That's nice you are going as tribute to your grandpa

Hope you catch a Whopper

good luck

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 04:55 PM
You need to be careful if you are planning to principally fish salt water...A lot of the cheaper products out there are subject to corrosion...spend just a little more and you can get a rig that will last you a lifetime...I only buy Shimano reels...they are great products, do well in salt and the warranty is suberb...I dunk mine (both baitcasters and spinning) all the time when wading/kayaking...you can get a great spinning reel for $50-$60 (the Sedona or Sahara). I also like All Star rods...they have good rod blanks and corrosion proof fuji guides and seats (again about $50-$65)...you should probably go with a medium/heavy or heavy action on the rod for pier fishing...if you are going to fish "inside" in the bay you might want to get a little lighter rod...I use a shimano sahara with a medium/fast action rod wading with croakers and load the reel with 20# fireline....no "stretch" on the line and superb "feel" for super light trout pickups....for other bay fishing (lures or plastics) I use shimano bait casters on appropriate weight rods but those are definitely out of your price range... the rig I reccomended will still work for those applications...

I think I'm leaning toward an Ugly Stick....I have always heard good things about them and used one once that a friend had, seemed pretty cool. Considering the one I think I'm looking at is over 50 bucks, it better not corrode. However, I almost always wash off the rod when I'm done, and if not one night then I will befor a fishing weekend is over. I'll be fishing inside the bay so the light one is probably what I'll end up getting, no real need in getting something super heavy when its not needed.

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Great store they have a great website

if you go to Cabelas take your camera they have neat setups

http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=BVQYOY5GRWNGPTQSNOLSCNOOCJVYQI WE?_requestid=33395&_requestid=12519

BTW

Where do you go fishing at?

I'm only going to Cabela's because I have a) never been there and b) its only 14 miles from my hotel oh and c) i'm bored as fuck at night.

Never been to Bass Pro Shops, the one in San Antonio isnt open yet is it?

Dont know if I will buy anything, mostly wanna get a feel for the various products I'm looking at before making a purchase.

Dont really wanna be transporting that thing back on Friday when I head back home anyway. :lol

Oh and I do almost all my fishing in Rockport off a pier. Will occassionally goto Copono Bay (sp). Am planning on going out on a boat at some point this year, but I wont need to worry about equipment on that as it will be a chartered boat where they got it all for me.

Taco
06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm only going to Cabela's because I have a) never been there and b) its only 14 miles from my hotel oh and c) i'm bored as fuck at night.

Oh and I do almost all my fishing in Rockport off a pier. Will occassionally goto Copono Bay (sp). Am planning on going out on a boat at some point this year, but I wont need to worry about equipment on that as it will be a chartered boat where they got it all for me.

Did you go?

I've heard of Copono Bay supposed to be good fishing there

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 08:23 PM
i actually just got back from cabela's. interesting place, its fucking huge.

now that i have seen teh rods and reels, i have to sit down and make a decision.

i'll hopefully do that before i leave ft worth so i can see if my best deal is online or in teh store.

i didnt like the fishing in copono bay, mostly cause its not a private pier that i like to fish on. didnt really catch much that night but a buzz.

valluco
06-14-2006, 08:39 PM

now that i have seen teh rods and reels, i have to sit down and make a decision.

i'll hopefully do that before i leave ft worth so i can see if my best deal is online or in teh store.

i didnt like the fishing in copono bay, mostly cause its not a private pier that i like to fish on. didnt really catch much that night but a buzz.
Have you gone to Academy on Bryant Irving and 20? You might find the same rods for cheaper there. Oh, and I have a question. Are you planning on using the rods for salt water only or do you bass fish as well?

valluco
06-14-2006, 08:42 PM
sometimes the best catch of the day is a good buzz.

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Have you gone to Academy on Bryant Irving and 20? You might find the same rods for cheaper there. Oh, and I have a question. Are you planning on using the rods for salt water only or do you bass fish as well?

it will just be for salt water out in the gulf.

academy is on my list of places to check for prices.

valluco
06-14-2006, 08:49 PM
it will just be for salt water out in the gulf.

academy is on my list of places to check for prices.
Well then, if it's just salt water may I suggest NOT to buy an automatic (push-button) reel like a zebco. It will rust. I recommend a Penn or a good surf rod with a spin casting reel. Academy has combos on sale most of the time. Good luck on your fishing trip.

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 11:21 PM
btw...

i really liked the ugly stik when i was taking a look at the reels.

i may go back tomorrow and buy it, just gotta find me the reel that i really like. or i may just go with one of their combos for 50 bucks.

pache100
06-15-2006, 08:11 AM

Wait until you go to Bass Pro Outdoor World. It's like going to another planet. We spent a whole day at the one in Grapevine. I have spent several hours a couple of times at the one in Katy. You never see everything.