PDA

View Full Version : was aladdin THAT fucked up?

atxrocker
06-13-2006, 09:27 PM
entertainment weeklys top 25 list of controversial films:

1.The Passion Of The Christ
2.A Clockwork Orange
3.Fahrenheit 9/11
4.Deep Throat
5.JFK
6.The Last Temptation Of Christ
7.The Birth Of A Nation
8.Natural Born Killers
9.Last Tango In Paris
10.Baby Doll
11.Message
12.The Deer Hunter
13.The Da Vinci Code
14.The Warriors
15.Triumph Of The Will
16.United 93
17.Freaks
18.I Am Curious
19.Basic Instinct
20.Cannibal Holocaust
21.Bonnie And Clyde
22.Do The Right Thing
23.Kids
24.Caligula
25.Aladdin

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/7650/compare/paulinseattle

Das Texan
06-13-2006, 09:31 PM
why was aladdin that controversial?

jman3000
06-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Wasn't there subliminal stuff in the background?

I know the Lion King sex thing ... but im not sure about the aladdin thing.

Das Texan
06-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Wasn't there subliminal stuff in the background?

I know the Lion King sex thing ... but im not sure about the aladdin thing.

ya stuff you can only pick up on when you put it in freeze frame.

big damn deal.

jman3000
06-13-2006, 09:38 PM
I think it said something like "children take off you clothes" somewhere in the movie...thats off the top of my head though... could be wrong.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmm, Aladdin vs. Caligula?

http://parent-2-parent.com/forum/images/smilies/curious.gif

Yep, pretty close on the 'ol controversy scale . . .

atxrocker
06-13-2006, 09:41 PM
why was aladdin that controversial?

i read the actual article and it said something about racial undertones, a backlash from arabic countries. something about the film saying where else could you get your hand chopped off or something to that effect.

ObiwanGinobili
06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
How come Lolita isn;t on that list??

or that early 80's Sean Connery movie about the famous english mt. climber who had an affair with his 15 year old cousin (i think)??

jman3000
06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
I read the wiki:

One of the verses of the opening song "Arabian Nights" was censored because of political sensitivity. Following protests from the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, (ADC) the lyrics were changed in July 1993 from "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home," in the original release to "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense/It's barbaric, but, hey, it's home." The new change was seen on the 1993 video release of this title. The original lyric was intact on the initial CD soundtrack release that predated the movie's theatrical release and subsequent protests. The soundtrack was re-released at the time of the DVD release of the film; on the re-released soundtrack, the edited lyric is used.

It is rumored that during a scene in the film, Aladdin whispers "C'mon, good teenagers, take off your clothes". According to Snopes, Aladdin actually says "good kitty" to Rajah the tiger, only to have a second voice say "take off and go...". It has been suggested that this second voice was the Genie's, who at the time was under the balcony and had previously been commenting on what was going on. This dialogue is edited in the DVD version, lessening the chance of misunderstanding. Other Disney films have alleged subtle sexual references.

Also, when Aladdin & Abu are in the Genie's Cave and the lava appears, Abu is seen skipping across the rocks and lava spalshed in front of his, if listened to carefully, he appears to say "Oh shit".

King
06-13-2006, 10:11 PM
The Lion King 'sex thing' was actually a Lion King "SFX thing." It was put in there by the special effects team. It doesn't say sex.

spursgurl101
06-13-2006, 10:27 PM
that's fucked up.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-13-2006, 10:54 PM
:rolleyes clockwork orange isn't really that fucked up if you think about it, and i actually like the book/movie so im not just putting it down

is the movie Kids that one movie where this Kid is sitting in the back of hte classroom and crushes weed then rolls a picture perfect blunt on camera all in like 30 seconds?

Melmart1
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
it was controversial for its time though, CBF. Today their are far more messed up movies, but in its day, there was nothing like it anywhere in the mainstream.

ShoogarBear
06-13-2006, 11:10 PM
A Clockwork Orange was banned in England for like 30 years.

It was HUGE in its time. You can't tell now 'cause everything is a ripoff of Pulp Fiction. But basically there were almost no truly violent movies before it (and Bonnie and Clyde).

Darrin
06-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Why Aladdin and not Little Mermaid, where the priest has a hard-on?

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 11:25 PM
What was Deer Hunter controversial for?

ShoogarBear
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
The Russian Roulette scenes caused a lot of controversy. They were supposed to be allegorical, but some actual Vietnam Vets who say they never saw any shit like that were upset.

scott
06-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Fahrenheit 9/11 more controversial than Birth of a Nation? Some far left twit's documentary more controversial than what essentially was a KKK recruitment film? Ohhhhhhhkay.

atxrocker
06-13-2006, 11:31 PM
:rolleyes clockwork orange isn't really that fucked up if you think about it, and i actually like the book/movie so im not just putting it down

is the movie Kids that one movie where this Kid is sitting in the back of hte classroom and crushes weed then rolls a picture perfect blunt on camera all in like 30 seconds?

kids is the movie debut of rosario dawson (who the director literally found on the streets of ny) and chloe whatever her name is. very controversial at the time. yeah, they do roll a picture perfect blunt in the movie but its in a park, not a classroom.

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I plan to top this list when I complete my debut film, tentatively titled "Jew Baby Stew." It's alegorical as well.

scott
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
kids is the movie debut of rosario dawson (who the director literally found on the streets of ny) and chloe whatever her name is. very controversial at the time. yeah, they do roll a picture perfect blunt in the movie but its in a park, not a classroom.

Didn't that movie win an award for Best Use of Daterape in a Drama?

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Kids was annoying. I wanted to like it, but when your lead actor talks like he has a handful of marbles in his mouth, it's hard to hold the audience's attention.

scott
06-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Shhhhhhhhh Spurm... it's just me... Casper... shhhhhhhhhh

Spurminator
06-13-2006, 11:39 PM
:lol

It's also hard to take characters named "Casper" and "Telly" seriously...

atxrocker
06-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Shhhhhhhhh Spurm... it's just me... Casper... shhhhhhhhhh

:lol :lol

v2freak
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
How do people know about these little tidbits that Disney adds in their movies?

Mixability
06-20-2006, 01:00 PM
How do people know about these little tidbits that Disney adds in their movies?

http://www.snopes.com/disney/disney.asp

j-6
06-20-2006, 01:06 PM

Chloe Sevigny, the blowjob queen.

Guru of Nothing
06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
http://disney.jbug.net/mvdata/data/Song_of_the_South.jpg

tlongII
06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Natural Born Killers was a disgusting movie. I walked out of the theatre in the middle of it.

DarkReign
06-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Natural Born Killers was a disgusting movie. I walked out of the theatre in the middle of it.

One of my favorites of all time.
Disgusting in that if 2 serial killers managed to stay "at large" as long as they did, they would be famous and protected.

God Bless America.

It was offensive for the sake of being so. It was the point.

v2freak
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
http://www.snopes.com/disney/disney.asp

Ah, thank you very much

tlongII
06-20-2006, 04:48 PM
One of my favorites of all time.
Disgusting in that if 2 serial killers managed to stay "at large" as long as they did, they would be famous and protected.

God Bless America.

It was offensive for the sake of being so. It was the point.

It glorified senseless murder. That is ridiculous. Obviously our tastes in movies differ greatly! :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
06-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Bit of pain in the gulliver. Viddy again later, mum, or I'll tolchock you.