PDA

View Full Version : Game 3: Dallas is extremely impressive

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 01:07 AM
As everyone here knows, I hate the Mavs. Nevertheless, I have to give major props to the Mavs. I know they lost, but Dallas looks like they are so much better than Miami.
It's difficult to know where to start, but allow me to say that they are one of the top 3 defensive teams in the league and might legitimately claim to be the best. When you can hold a team like Miami, which shoots extremely well from the field especially at home, to below 50 % from the field at home, that is very impressive.

Dallas ability to penalize Miami's weakness on the perimeter (esp Jason Williams and by using the screen and roll) is telling. Dallas' defense has made an already turnover prone Miami team look extremely weak with the ball. It is almost surprising when Miami gets a shot up. For that reason (so many turnovers resulting in fewer shot attempts), it does not matter if Miami gets a lot of high percentage shots up. Moreover, they have been particularly effective in defending Miami, holding them to a low field goal percentage.

Furthermore, Dallas looks like the smarter team and Miami looks stupid. So many fundamentals of basketball violated, it looks like they need to watch the Steve Nash video or go to basketball camp. Jumping with the basketball prior to making a pass, technical fouls...

Shaq appears the only player aware of the problem since he is the only one who really made it clear that he is aware of this glaring weakness in the postgame press conference.

Dallas, on the other hand, really had this game won. Only a magnificent fourth quarter by Wade saved by Miami from a sweep.

Miami will not win any more games like this (ie with 20 turnovers) or very few of them.

It is difficult to see how anybody could be confident about a Miami victory in game 4 and I say that as someone who wants them to win. The turnovers have been a problem in every game, the screen and roll has been a problem in every game, the perimeter advantage of Dallas has been a problem in every game. The other players have not stepped up when Shaq has been double teamed. As a result, Shaq has been made much less effective than if he had better teammates (other than Wade despite all of his mental mistakes).

We will see what happens in game 4, but the trends from games 1 and 2 continued in game 3 and those trends will normally result in a Dallas victory (unlike game 3).

Major props to Dallas.

Go Heat.

Shank
06-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Have I ever said anything bad about you? If so, I take it back. This is one of the most level-headed things I've read on this board in some time. Not looking for Dallas to be validated or anything, just feel you did a good job of taking a step back and looking at things for the way many others believe them to be.

Just sucks we're going to have to see 2 days of Wade-sucking before Game 4. It's already begun on Sportscenter. Somehow every player for the Heat is amazing and Miami is a bunch of worldbeaters now. Wade was insane and it came down to an uncharacteristic Dirk miss and a late Mavs meltdown for them to take the game by a mere 2 points.

Oh, and fuck Keith Van Horn.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Have I ever said anything bad about you? If so, I take it back. This is one of the most level-headed things I've read on this board in some time. Not looking for Dallas to be validated or anything, just feel you did a good job of taking a step back and looking at things for the way many others believe them to be.

Just sucks we're going to have to see 2 days of Wade-sucking before Game 4. It's already begun on Sportscenter. Somehow every player for the Heat is amazing and Miami is a bunch of worldbeaters now. Wade was insane and it came down to an uncharacteristic Dirk miss and a late Mavs meltdown for them to take the game by a mere 2 points.

It pains me to say this, but I have to be honest: Dallas looks like the best team in the NBA and I will be extremely shocked if they don't win this Finals and prove that to be true.

In addition to their other advantages, Avery has really impressed me as a coach. The thought process in putting this team together was tremendous. He saw this before anybody else did (or did something about it)- recent postgame press conference.

Anybody in their right mind think that Miami will win both games 4 and 5 after this game 3 with 20 turnovers? Are they really counting on Dirk to miss another free throw and Shaq to make two (or Payton's jumper at the end of the game)? If so, they will be disappointed. That was an entire series of extremely improbable events in a row just to win by 2 points when they should have been desperate (and played their best). Those multiple rare events will not reoccur. And I don't see any solutions to their problems.

Props to Dallas, their coach and their players. They came in knowing they were the better team and looking at their play, they were rightfully confident of that fact.

Just got to tell the truth, even if it is painful.

Shank
06-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Well, I'd hope none of the Mavs fans can rest until this whole thing is over. Nothing will come easy in this series.

But let me go back to something I mentioned earlier - the ESPN sucking of the Heat. Payton takes 4 steps and scores his only points of the night and somehow we're seeing vintage GP again. Shaq's FT woes are over. Dwayne Wade could lose both legs and still have the heart to play on (by the way, it's physically impossible to fall down 7 times and get up 8). Rachel Nichols still hasn't blinked. It's maddening.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 01:28 AM
BTW, any of those commentators who take something from this other than the fact that Dallas is clearly the much better team are either much, much smarter than me or are watching a different finals. I am looking at high percentage, fundamentally sound basketball and I find that the better team, the winning team, usually plays that type of basketball more often than the losing team. Dallas is the team that plays high percentage, intelligent, fundamentally sound basketball.

I used to say allas (Dallas has no D). Now, I have to change it to Dallas.

You don't need my validation to perceive the obvious.

However, the fact that someone who does not even like the Mavericks can see this means that it is pretty blatant.

If you can't see this, you are as blind as the person who can't see the sun at high noon on a cloudless day in West Texas. (That's blind!!!)

Shank
06-14-2006, 01:32 AM
We can tap the brakes on the idea that Dallas is an amazing defensive team. They certainly work better on the defensive end and the numbers might reflect that, but they have lapses where the D just goes to crap. We saw that a couple times in Game 3. Until I see 48 minutes of sheer effort, I'll remain reserved. I'll give them props because it's getting to where it needs to be, but no one should confuse the Mavs defense with that of SA or Detroit.

Fuck - some segment about Wade and how he saved a bunch of poor Ethiopian kids from a flaming bus en route to scoring 40+ is on deck on Sportscenter.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, I'd hope none of the Mavs fans can rest until this whole thing is over. Nothing will come easy in this series.

But let me go back to something I mentioned earlier - the ESPN sucking of the Heat. Payton takes 4 steps and scores his only points of the night and somehow we're seeing vintage GP again. Shaq's FT woes are over. Dwayne Wade could lose both legs and still have the heart to play on (by the way, it's physically impossible to fall down 7 times and get up 8). Rachel Nichols still hasn't blinked. It's maddening.

First, anyone who plays knows Payton's shooting form isn't good. I will say without fear of contradiction that he does not shoot well from the field by percentage. We can call him one timer.

I'm not trying to jinx them. I'm just speaking the truth. Dallas' players aren't going to be overconfident. In fact, they will be motivated by the loss.

Remember what the experts were saying about Detroit against LA in 2004?

Look at the patterns. With the trends we see (and they don't look to be changing), it is an anomaly when Miami wins.

Let them fall all over themselves about the win. It was 1 game. It required multiple miracles and included the very reasons why Dallas will win game 4.

They're just trying to build ratings.

Sometimes the experts miss the obvious. This is one of those cases.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 01:40 AM
We can tap the brakes on the idea that Dallas is an amazing defensive team. They certainly work better on the defensive end and the numbers might reflect that, but they have lapses where the D just goes to crap. We saw that a couple times in Game 3. Until I see 48 minutes of sheer effort, I'll remain reserved. I'll give them props because it's getting to where it needs to be, but no one should confuse the Mavs defense with that of SA or Detroit.

Fuck - some segment about Wade and how he saved a bunch of poor Ethiopian kids from a flaming bus en route to scoring 40+ is on deck on Sportscenter.

Our defense this postseason was not that great. No doubt the matchups made it worse, but this postseason revealed weaknesses. Moreover, Detroit's defense was not as good this year as previously.

Detroit was not able to keep Miami's shooting percentage down and did not force as many turnovers.

So, I put Dallas up there in terms of defense for a reason. I'm not overreaching. Believe me, I wouldn't give credit to Dallas unless I felt it was due.

If you want a negative, being outrebounded by 14 (?) boards isn't good.
But then look at Dampier (14 points 9 rebounds) which is almost what Shaq did. Of course, Shaq was doubled and Dampier really wasn't. Still, a good sign for Dallas.

East Coast Babe
06-14-2006, 01:57 AM
As everyone here knows, I hate the Mavs. Nevertheless, I have to give major props to the Mavs. I know they lost, but Dallas looks like they are so much better than Miami.
It's difficult to know where to start, but allow me to say that they are one of the top 3 defensive teams in the league and might legitimately claim to be the best. When you can hold a team like Miami, which shoots extremely well from the field especially at home, to below 50 % from the field at home, that is very impressive.

Dallas ability to penalize Miami's weakness on the perimeter (esp Jason Williams and by using the screen and roll) is telling. Dallas' defense has made an already turnover prone Miami team look extremely weak with the ball. It is almost surprising when Miami gets a shot up. For that reason (so many turnovers resulting in fewer shot attempts), it does not matter if Miami gets a lot of high percentage shots up. Moreover, they have been particularly effective in defending Miami, holding them to a low field goal percentage.

Furthermore, Dallas looks like the smarter team and Miami looks stupid. So many fundamentals of basketball violated, it looks like they need to watch the Steve Nash video or go to basketball camp. Jumping with the basketball prior to making a pass, technical fouls...

Shaq appears the only player aware of the problem since he is the only one who really made it clear that he is aware of this glaring weakness in the postgame press conference.

Dallas, on the other hand, really had this game won. Only a magnificent fourth quarter by Wade saved by Miami from a sweep.

Miami will not win any more games like this (ie with 20 turnovers) or very few of them.

It is difficult to see how anybody could be confident about a Miami victory in game 4 and I say that as someone who wants them to win. The turnovers have been a problem in every game, the screen and roll has been a problem in every game, the perimeter advantage of Dallas has been a problem in every game. The other players have not stepped up when Shaq has been double teamed. As a result, Shaq has been made much less effective than if he had better teammates (other than Wade despite all of his mental mistakes).

We will see what happens in game 4, but the trends from games 1 and 2 continued in game 3 and those trends will normally result in a Dallas victory (unlike game 3).

Major props to Dallas.

Go Heat.

Great post!! I agree with you about Dallas looking smarter than Miami. I did not see the post game interviews, but Shaq is smarter than he looks, huh? :lol It is interesting to me that he realizes that they are making too many turnovers, and are shooting less than desired from the field at home, and just making too many mistakes, among other things. I think that is what you are saying. Wade was insane tonight, and because I would like to see the Mavs win, I hope Wade got that kind of game out of his system for the rest of the series! The game did not look good for the Mavs early on, but then they came back to go ahead by 13 and thought, now that is what championship teams can do! I was dissappointed when they lost by 2. But when you consider that the Mavs won at home twice by double digits and could have pulled it off last night, maybe the Heat's win was not really that good. After all it was only 2 points. Enough to win, but certainly not convincing!

Amarelooms
06-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Good post for once on here. Hopefully the Mavs can bounce back but losing like this can also be difficult and change the momentum. I have no doubt the Mavs are the better team but playing on the road for 3 straight...anything can happen. Key is to win one of the next two and come back at worst up 3-2. Time will tell....

leemajors
06-14-2006, 07:38 AM

wade deserves all the credit in the world for that performance. is it really any different than the constant mav-sucking we have been subjected to for the last couple of weeks? sportscenter is sportscenter, i am just glad stuart scott isn't hosting it much anymore.

1Parker1
06-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Apparently the Mavs don't suck. I guess it's time to change my sig...:depressed

Islymore
Great post Manurules... I have to give you major props... Bc I know how much it is like torture to actually add that D to allas... Lol.

No but fareal - I pegged this game to be the one that Dallas losses. Miami just had too much motivation at home with their fans, on their court. I still believe this series is going only 6 games.

DWade was a beast last night, with 5 fouls for the remaining what? 4 mins? He put the Heat on his back and made sure they walked away with a win. Shaq even came to play and Walker shuffled his feet way too much for my personal liking. Even the Mitten showed up for his one shot! So the Heat played okay.

I dont think that game should be that much motivation however. Bc Dallas played horribly. Defensively and offensively. And even with Miami rolling offensively - they still only won by 2 pts, 2 pts that I attribute to a stupid foul in the final minute of the game. I'm sure AJ will wear them out with watchin footage and practicing. It was just an off night. And then when the Mavs had the lead, they seemed to suddenly start playing carelessly - like they too wanted Miami to win. It happens. But I should think that ppl realize Dallas has a knack for winning on the road EVEN IN THE PLAYOFFS and ppl shouldnt think Miami is gonna win all 3 in a row...

Im saddened by the fact that Josh's 25-0 stat is officially broken... but I'll take the 1 loss... and still root for him to hit his 20 pts.

leemajors
Great post!! I agree with you about Dallas looking smarter than Miami. I did not see the post game interviews, but Shaq is smarter than he looks, huh? :lol It is interesting to me that he realizes that they are making too many turnovers, and are shooting less than desired from the field at home, and just making too many mistakes, among other things. I think that is what you are saying. Wade was insane tonight, and because I would like to see the Mavs win, I hope Wade got that kind of game out of his system for the rest of the series! The game did not look good for the Mavs early on, but then they came back to go ahead by 13 and thought, now that is what championship teams can do! I was dissappointed when they lost by 2. But when you consider that the Mavs won at home twice by double digits and could have pulled it off last night, maybe the Heat's win was not really that good. After all it was only 2 points. Enough to win, but certainly not convincing!

dallas always does enough to hang around, save for the one game phoenix blew them out. they do a great job at not letting the opponent get out to a huge lead. miami probably can't win convincingly at this point, and even if they were up big they don't have enough of a bench to maintain a huge lead without leaving their starters in. but they don't need to win convincingly, they just need to win. wade is going to have to keep this up for them to have a shot.

Islymore
06-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Do you think that is likely @LeeMajors... Wade playin like he did last night for the next two games? Do you think that AJ wont find some way to attempt to contain him? Just askin...

AJ has been pretty good with the chess playin...

EDIT: AND SHANK -

They certainly work better on the defensive end and the numbers might reflect that, but they have lapses where the D just goes to crap. Until I see 48 minutes of sheer effort, I'll remain reserved. I'll give them props because it's getting to where it needs to be, but no one should confuse the Mavs defense with that of SA or Detroit.

Def gotta agree with you here... but I still would put them up there.
Defensively - I'd say it was DET, SA, DAL... or SA, DET, DAL - whichever variation suits... So... I give alotta props to them - but like you said - I'm still waitin to see it for 48 whole minutes. *maybe I'll settle for like 45*

LEONARD
06-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Good post!!

Before Payton made that shot, I was thinking "Damn, that dude needs to hang it up!" Not after the season though...BEFORE game 4!! He's horrible...give him credit for making 1 shot when it counted though...

Not worried...the Mavs are obviously the better team...

Mavs in 6

leemajors
06-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Do you think that is likely @LeeMajors... Wade playin like he did last night for the next two games? Do you think that AJ wont find some way to attempt to contain him? Just askin...

AJ has been pretty good with the chess playin...

EDIT: AND SHANK -

Def gotta agree with you here... but I still would put them up there.
Defensively - I'd say it was DET, SA, DAL... or SA, DET, DAL - whichever variation suits... So... I give alotta props to them - but like you said - I'm still waitin to see it for 48 whole minutes. *maybe I'll settle for like 45*

wade shot an unholy pct. vs detroit, i would say he is more than capable of keeping it up. it's probably more a matter of how much his knee bothers him and whether he gets enough help. if avery pays too much attention to wade it can open it up for shaq and everyone else. it's just whether everyone else can step up. i don't think avery wants to compromise his whole defense just to stop wade.

LEONARD
06-14-2006, 08:22 AM
wade shot an unholy pct. vs detroit, i would say he is more than capable of keeping it up. it's probably more a matter of how much his knee bothers him and whether he gets enough help. if avery pays too much attention to wade it can open it up for shaq and everyone else. it's just whether everyone else can step up. i don't think avery wants to compromise his whole defense just to stop wade.

I think he should...

Williams
Walker
Posey
Haslem

If those guys beat the Mavs with jumpers, then they can have it...especially Walker...give him TONS of room and let the "volume shooter" got to work :lol

bulletedge
06-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Wade had an awesome game. But Dirk hasn't had a good- or even normal- shooting game in this series. If he doesn't pick it up the Mavs might have a little trouble with the Heat. Not only did he miss the last free throw but earlier in the game he missed two FTs in a row. I can't remember the last time I have seen him do that. Dirk is scoring fairly well but his shot is very obviously off.

I am still saying as I have all along that Dallas wins in six. I hope I'm right.

MadDog73
06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Wade had an awesome game. But Dirk hasn't had a good- or even normal- shooting game in this series. If he doesn't pick it up the Mavs might have a little trouble with the Heat. Not only did he miss the last free throw but earlier in the game he missed two FTs in a row. I can't remember the last time I have seen him do that. Dirk is scoring fairly well but his shot is very obviously off.

I am still saying as I have all along that Dallas wins in six. I hope I'm right.

If that happened, the stats don't support it. Dirk went 10-12 from the FT line, so he only missed two total, and one was at the end.

Islymore
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah Im with you @ bullet... I been sayin in 6 since the WCFs.

Thats my whole thot process. The Mavs as a whole havent really had a great night as a team. It's okay for one person to get hot... but what does Miami expect to see when the Mavs have a game like game 2 vs SA... or even game 2 vs Phx.

What answers will Miami have for a night when Josh and Dirk click offensively from tipoff?

That is not to take nothing away from Miami bc they played well when it came time to play well... but... I just dont see Miami playing well for 2/3 games.

If that happened, the stats don't support it. Dirk went 10-12 from the FT line, so he only missed two total, and one was at the end.

and I think there was a lane violation on one he missed, that turned into a make for him...

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 08:48 AM

What you said makes sense. However, actually Dirk did miss two fts in a rowat one point. And yet Dirk made 1 out of 2 from the line on that same trip to the free throw line . Moreover, he was not fouled while shooting a 3 point shot. Dirk's shot when he was fouled that time did not fall and he was fouled in the act of shooting.

Mystery: how can all of that be true?

Answer: think Shaq. What always happens when Shaq goes to the free throw line.

So, in this case, the other poster was correct.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah Im with you @ bullet... I been sayin in 6 since the WCFs.

Thats my whole thot process. The Mavs as a whole havent really had a great night as a team. It's okay for one person to get hot... but what does Miami expect to see when the Mavs have a game like game 2 vs SA... or even game 2 vs Phx.

What answers will Miami have for a night when Josh and Dirk click offensively from tipoff?

That is not to take nothing away from Miami bc they played well when it came time to play well... but... I just dont see Miami playing well for 2/3 games.

and I think there was a lane violation on one he missed, that turned into a make for him...

You gave it away. I was leaving it as a mystery for him.

:lol

leemajors
06-14-2006, 08:50 AM
i know the mavs haven't really clicked for a whole game, but neither have the heat. they played fairly well in the first half and great in the 4th, but they keep having some real clunkers in the 2nd and 3rd quarters every game. i don't think the heat will win the series, but they do have a chance, and a great chance to make this a real competitive series. that's all i'm hoping for at this point since i don't like either team too much. i would rather the heat win, but they probably won't. if they cut down on the turnovers they could really get going after that comeback in the 4th.

bulletedge
06-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Well- I'll admit to having more than a few cocktails while watching the game with some buddies...but I think they called a lane violation on Dirk's second FT miss so he got a do-over.

It just looks like to me that Dirk is struggling with his shot- and has been for all three games of this series. To be honest, it seems like he is- dare I say it- choking a little bit. At the very least he is way off. He also fired up an airball on his patented fallaway in the lane...from inside the foul line. Can't remember when I have seen him miss everything from that range.

Dirk needs to step up for Dallas to win. I think (and hope) that he will.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Exactly.

Even when Miami pulls ahead, you, as a Dallas fan, have to remember how much Miami turns the ball over, the athletes that Dallas has which can take advantage of those turnovers and the much improved Dallas defense. In addition, the thing that in my view put Dallas over the top is the fact that Dirk now consistently goes aggressively to the rim. He is one of the best free throw shooters in the league as we all know (anomalies do happen like yesterday).

Plus, remember how poorly Miami defends the screen and role. Finally, when you lose all hope remember that often two of the best players for Dallas are Antoine Walker and Jason Williams (definitely volume shooters as the other poster said!).

In addition, Dallas shoots well from the free throw line and has some good shooters from 3 (Dirk and Jason Terry - the others are Dallas' volume shooters).

Add all of this up and even if Miami is up big, Dallas is likely to come back and have a good chance to win it.

And I say all of that reluctantly, but it is true.

:fro

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
IMO, if you watch the postgame press conferences and listen to what players from both teams are saying, it appears to me that Dallas' players understand how to play winning basketball better. Avery is very impressive to me. Jason Terry clearly understands how to play high iq basketball. Dirk obviously understands the game very well.

It's funny but a lot of really athletic good players don't understand the game well (at least not smart basketball).

How many mental mistakes did Miami make ? (Wade jumped twice in the air looking to pass- he got away with it once), Wade hung on the rim (give them an extra point when you are down in the series 2-0, Payton got a technical, commit 20 turnovers, often poor shot selection...)

The finals is a darwinian process and I don't like Miami's chances when they make so many mental mistakes and turn the ball over so much.

I thought that if Miami could keep their turnovers down, defend the screen and roll halfway decently and keep Shaq out of foul trouble, then Shaq and Wade would shoot such a high percentage, (because they were taking high percentage shots ) that they would put Miami over the top.

However, the fact that Miami can't keep their turnovers down, can't defend the screen and roll, can't match Dallas depth and athleticism at the guard/ small forward position and can't determine what is and what is not a good shot has led me to conclude that it is very unlikely for Miami to win the series. While it is not impossible, it is a long shot.

leemajors
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
i was shocked they called wade for hanging on the rim like that. i didn't think it was that long.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 09:16 AM
i was shocked they called wade for hanging on the rim like that. i didn't think it was that long.

I know what you're saying. I think that it was the chinup thing. I would prefer not to have the call, but it is not the first time that they have called a chinup on the rim a technical foul.

And why take the chance.

Wade is awesome, but he does make too many mental mistakes. His athleticism and skills are so amazing that we miss them.

Islymore
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
i know the mavs haven't really clicked for a whole game, but neither have the heat. they played fairly well in the first half and great in the 4th, but they keep having some real clunkers in the 2nd and 3rd quarters every game. i don't think the heat will win the series, but they do have a chance, and a great chance to make this a real competitive series. that's all i'm hoping for at this point since i don't like either team too much. i would rather the heat win, but they probably won't. if they cut down on the turnovers they could really get going after that comeback in the 4th.

just how likely is that?? :rolleyes

Islymore
06-14-2006, 09:25 AM
I know what you're saying. I think that it was the chinup thing. I would prefer not to have the call, but it is not the first time that they have called a chinup on the rim a technical foul.

And why take the chance.

Hate to be double posting but... WADE had nobody near him when he did the chinup either... If there was a blue jersey in the vicinity, he may have gotten away with it...

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 09:26 AM

Exactly.

Ballgame.

Mavs<Spurs
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
How depressing!!!

:depressed :depressed :depressed

It's going to be a long year.
And we have to address the weaknesses Dallas revealed (if we can).

:depressed :depressed :depressed

Islymore
06-14-2006, 09:31 AM
It isnt depressing... @Manu...

It happens... It's the NBA.

leemajors
06-14-2006, 09:41 AM

miami isn't going to keep turning he ball over 20 times a game. if they do, i would be really surprised. not saying they will automatically win a game if they don't, but they are certainly capable of turning the ball over less.

kalikot_boy_kr
06-14-2006, 09:43 AM
what???? impresive???? where???? ur kidding me!!

kalikot_boy_kr
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM
mavs dont know how to play basketball. they know how to buy the ref's hahhaha!

Islymore
06-14-2006, 09:54 AM
and i thot this was gonna be a real deal thread... minus the jibberjabber...

LEONARD
06-14-2006, 09:55 AM

It was for pulling up, not for hanging for too long...

boutons_
06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
"looks like they are so much better than Miami. "

We knew that before the series started. Heat need Wade and Shaq to have great, not average but great games, since NOBODY else, except on very sparse and random nights, helps them win.

There is just no fucking way the Heat "deserve" to be in the NBA Finals.
The EC continues to be be incredibly weak.
The Pistons were the only credible contenders and they totally blew their entire, dominating season in the playoffs.

After the Pistons, nothing.

No chance the Mavs lose the Finals, if they stay healthy.
I bet the series won't go back to Dallas.

Slinkyman
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I feel like last nights game was alot like game 2 of the Lakers Pistons final 2 years ago where detroit had a melt down on the road against a team that was in a must win situation like miami was but still should have won the game. I can see Dallas being up by double digits again in games 4 and 5 but unlike last night the mavs will hold on to win those games and take the series in 5.

Islymore
06-14-2006, 10:58 AM
For some reason, I still see Miami as pulling another win at home.

That might be wishful thinking bc I'm guaranteed floor seats to Game 6.. lol...

Tanya
06-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Game 3 was a MUST WIN game after they were down 0-2. But did MIA look like they had already made enough adjustment(offensively and defensively) to beat DAL? They still looked stupid and had no clue how to beat DAL.

I am quite sure DAL will be the champ this year. MIA is not a good road team, and they are the worse team in the series, therefore they'd better win all games or at least two at their home court. hmm.. impossible mission..

Mavs_man_41
06-15-2006, 12:46 AM
themanurules is a smart man....

DDS4
06-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Personally, I'd be shocked if this series goes past 5 games.

However, if Miami wins tomorrow...things can get interesting.

Pandaemonaeon
06-15-2006, 01:03 AM
miami isn't going to keep turning he ball over 20 times a game. if they do, i would be really surprised. not saying they will automatically win a game if they don't, but they are certainly capable of turning the ball over less.

They average 15/16 turnovers per game in the entire post-season (they had 16 in game 1) and although that's 4 short, it's still too much especially with Dallas's inate ability to capitalize on these miscues.

and i thot this was gonna be a real deal thread... minus the jibberjabber...

Ignore him. That cocksucker's got 354 posts full of incoherent drivel that to expect anything better is out of the question. He's an embarassment to Filipinos everywhere.

East Coast Babe
06-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Exactly.

Even when Miami pulls ahead, you, as a Dallas fan, have to remember how much Miami turns the ball over, the athletes that Dallas has which can take advantage of those turnovers and the much improved Dallas defense. In addition, the thing that in my view put Dallas over the top is the fact that Dirk now consistently goes aggressively to the rim. He is one of the best free throw shooters in the league as we all know (anomalies do happen like yesterday).

Plus, remember how poorly Miami defends the screen and role. Finally, when you lose all hope remember that often two of the best players for Dallas are Antoine Walker and Jason Williams (definitely volume shooters as the other poster said!).

In addition, Dallas shoots well from the free throw line and has some good shooters from 3 (Dirk and Jason Terry - the others are Dallas' volume shooters).

Add all of this up and even if Miami is up big, Dallas is likely to come back and have a good chance to win it.

And I say all of that reluctantly, but it is true.

These are minor corrections here and then I will go on with my comments. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams play for Miami, not Dallas; and secondly I am primarily a Pistons fan. I am rooting for Dallas to win over the Heat because I don't like them, plus I would like a little revenge for my Pistons. So, if that makes me a Mavs fan, then great!

I agree that I think Dallas can win it. I think too that they are the better team. Dirk can go aggressively to the rim and I have seen some evidence of it these games. But, I do think that Miami has been doing at least a decent job of guarding Dirk because he does not seem to be as able to be as tough as he usually is around the basket.(Although I think he came up with 30 points, last time) Perhaps that is my mistake, but that is the way it seems to me.

Jason Terry has been a little more free to shoot as he might like. Josh Howard is doing better too since the first game and came up decent last time with 20+ points. Everyone else on Dallas' team is volume shooters to me. I agree with you about their free throwing too. Aren't they at least close to the top in that department?

I definitely like the way they have improved their defense and wonder sometimes if we would have gotten by them. We are tough on rebounds (usually), but so are they when they are playing their best. We can defend well otherwise, but during these Finals, the Mavs have been very good for the most part at it too. They got by the Spurs, one of this league's toughest team. They might have gotten by us too. But, I guess we will never know now!

DubMcDub
06-15-2006, 01:36 AM
These are minor corrections here and then I will go on with my comments. Antoine Walker and Jason Williams play for Miami, not Dallas; and secondly I am primarily a Pistons fan. I am rooting for Dallas to win over the Heat because I don't like them, plus I would like a little revenge for my Pistons. So, if that makes me a Mavs fan, then great!

He was speaking figuratively, saying that Williams and Walker are the best players for the Mavericks because they're so unclutch and throw up a lot of horrible shots.

East Coast Babe
06-15-2006, 01:49 AM
He was speaking figuratively, saying that Williams and Walker are the best players for the Mavericks because they're so unclutch and throw up a lot of horrible shots.

Okay, I get it now. Sorry! :oops

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2006, 11:32 AM

Thank you.
I expected everyone to get it.

Antoine Walker only shoots the ball as often as he has it.

Game 7 in the Finals is tied, Walker's got the ball, 22 seconds left on the shot clock and the game clock, he's triple teamed from 40 feet away, he heaves it

Watch out, incoming!!! He's in the construction business. Only way I can figure that he comes up with all of these bricks.

That's what I'm saying.

Mavs<Spurs
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Although the Mavs beat us and the Pistons didn't make the Finals this year,

the Spurs and the Pistons are still my two favorite teams.

A mark of integrity is the ability to admit the truth even when it is against you.

That's all that I have done here.

Don't have to go out too much on a limb to predict a Dallas win and a big night for Dirk in game 4.

I do not see another miracle coming, but to even have the slightest chance of winning the Finals (and this just isn't going to happen), Miami absolutely must win games 4 and 5.

And even if they do that (and I can't see that happening), in most of games 1 and 2 (especially game 2), Dallas looked much, much better. So, Dallas is still likely to win both games 6 and 7 in Dallas (and it won't get that far).
Remember that Dallas won both games in their place by 10 and had a 13 point lead in the fourth in game 3 in Miami.

Nevertheless, go Heat. Delay the inevitable!!!

go heat.

:depressed

leemajors
06-15-2006, 11:51 AM
i actually thought walker did a pretty good job of getting to the rim in game 3. he has always been much more effective that way, and can score on anyone when he does it. but he can't keep himself from chucking.

LEONARD
06-15-2006, 11:53 AM
i actually thought walker did a pretty good job of getting to the rim in game 3. he has always been much more effective that way, and can score on anyone when he does it. but he can't keep himself from chucking.

When he does drive he usually ends up throwing up a wild shot that never had a chance...

He's championship KRYPTONITE... :lol

Islymore
06-15-2006, 02:52 PM
... Walker just rattles my nerves... He thinks he's a 90% shooter... And when he has a bad night, it's just bc the ball didnt fall the right way... I dunno. He got on my nerves as a Mavs... Some ppl just need to know when their time is growin thin... and his was a while ago...

Anyway - I have to agree in this series Dallas is the better team, the only thing that overly concerns me in Miami is rebounding and that's really about it. At any moment, the Mavs could turn their defense on and shut out Miami or at any moment they could turn their offense up and crush Miami... Or *my personal fav* they could do both...

Anyway - again, I fail to believe DWade will have another stellar night, not like he had. He might have a few more good games, but not stellar - not 40 + pts. (Not if I had a say) But I gotta agree with someone who posted before - I think the kid is great but can he decide if he wants to be healthy/sick, injured/well... ? Bc Im sick of how heroic he is playing injured/sick seems like every game since the post season started. Really now.

Mavs<Spurs
06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the props. It is our time not only to win it this year, but it is our time to begin a long 4-6 year DYNASTY!! :elephant :elephant :elephant I am glad you are starting to realize that :fro . The more you accept the truth the less painful it is :spin

Don't get ahead of yourselves. Mavs have a good chance to win the Finals despite being slaughtered in game 4 which tied the series.

4-6 year dynasty talk is a little premature when at this point you don't have a single championship.

A dynasty takes place when you are much, much better than the rest of the league.
Dallas won in 7 against the Spurs despite being down by 3 with 30 seconds left in the game. They were handed 2 games by the refs and had a much easier schedule (facing a Memphis team that has yet to win a single playoff game ever and Sacramento was a much tougher opponent than Memphis).

Clearly, Spurs and Mavs are pretty evenly matched teams. Remember it is more difficult to repeat after winning it all than it is to win it all the first time.
Since you all have yet to win a championship, you will have to accept our word on that one.

If Miami wins game 5, it is very possible for Miami to win the series, leaving you with an empty trophy case.

I have tried to give you guys some credit, but when you overreach like that the basketball gods have a way of handing out a beat down.

Spurs 3 championships, Mavs 0 (might possibly become 1 - although game 4 Dallas certainly did not look like a dynasty).

I certainly do not want to contribute to any delusions of grandeur that you have. Since you do not have the humility, the wisdom and/or a realistic perspective of the Mavs, I will make a point of not posting anything that will lead you down this wrong path.

Mr. Body
06-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Clearly, Spurs and Mavs are pretty evenly matched teams. Remember it is more difficult to repeat after winning it all than it is to win it all the first time.
Since you all have yet to win a championship, you will have to accept our word on that one.

I kinda wonder how Dallas will take everyone gunning for them next year, if they win.

One, it's more likely that Terry is gone. Someone will overpay him for the championship experience, above what he'd normally get, and he'd have less reason to stay.

Two, Cuban will have to ditch the persecution act and find some other schtick. Fans around the league could get sick of him pretty fast.

But the biggest thing is - everyone will throw their best at them. I don't see the Mavs hitting 60 wins next year.

Mavs<Spurs
06-16-2006, 01:19 AM
I kinda wonder how Dallas will take everyone gunning for them next year, if they win.

One, it's more likely that Terry is gone. Someone will overpay him for the championship experience, above what he'd normally get, and he'd have less reason to stay.

Two, Cuban will have to ditch the persecution act and find some other schtick. Fans around the league could get sick of him pretty fast.

But the biggest thing is - everyone will throw their best at them. I don't see the Mavs hitting 60 wins next year.

Exactly. Like your name says, let's look at their body of work. It doesn't consist of nearly enough to justify this kind of arrogance and pretentiousness!

Without Terry and with a bulls eye on their back, I agree that Dallas won't win 60 games next year.

Also, I would say that Spurs are going to want to take their revenge. With some appropriate adjustments in our personnel, we have a good chance to do that.