PDA

View Full Version : Request for prayers, good thoughts, well wishes.

easjer
06-14-2006, 11:21 AM
A good friend from Pheonix just emailed to say that she was admitted to the hospital last night to stop contractions on her 29 week pregnancy. She's had some spotting/light bleeding, but it stopped, and her doc said all was well. It started again yesterday, stopped and started again, at which time the oncall doc sent her to the ER to be checked out. Turns out she was 50% effaced and dilated 2 centimeters (all new since her appointment last week).

The initial drugs did not work and contractions continued. Apparently, she's been contracting for weeks - the usual signal of the uterus hardening up did not happen in her case, and so she and doc assumed it was normal fetal movement. So now she's on magnesium sulfate to try and stop/delay contractions and steriods to speed up the baby's lung development in case of delivery.

She has an ultrasound scheduled for later, though baby's heartrate and movements seem fine for now, and a visit with the neonatalogist later today as well. She'll be continued on the meds she's on now until Friday, at which point, depending on how well they work, she's going home to bedrest or the antepartum wing until delivery (which will likely be early).

The hospital she's in works with the one of the best NICU's in the country, so she's relieved on that front if something goes wrong. This is their first child, it will be a boy. This child has been wanted and loved for a very long time.

Please send whatever good thoughts, wishes, prayers you can. Technology is very advanced now - a good friend of both of our was in the same situation last year, and her 1 year old daughter is doing well, but the longer baby stays in, the better his chances for survival and good health are - if they can make it hang on to 35 weeks, that's close enough to full term to be ideal. But every day he stays put is better for both of them.

Jekka
06-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Good luck to your friend and the baby - they are in my thoughts.

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I'll be thinking of them.
Sending lots of sticky vibes that baby boy gets at least 6 more weeks of tummy time!

angel_luv
06-14-2006, 11:34 AM
I will pray right now for you, your friend, the baby, and everyone else involved. Please keep us updated.

CosmicCowboy
06-14-2006, 11:35 AM
the miracles they can do now in NICU's are amazing. Worst case scenario at 7+ months they have a good chance the lungs will be developed and have a high probability of a successful outcome...You are right, though...the closer to term the better...good luck to your friend...

pache100
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Thinking. Wishing. Praying. http://i6.tinypic.com/14cvi36.gif

And, yes, please keep us updated.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I'll be praying. God Bless your friend and their child.

tlongII
06-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Good luck to your friend!

1Parker1
06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Best wishes.

Summers
06-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Good luck to your friend!

Old School Chic
06-14-2006, 02:05 PM
God bless Mommy, Daddy, and Baby...

kingsfan
06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Best wishes for the baby. One of my family members just went through this and she had a healthy baby girl.

easjer
06-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the well wishes.

D is keeping pretty calm about everything, which is better than I could do. She's still got another ultrasound today, but baby's heart rates are doing just fine (good news). The quick u/s they did on admittance showed that baby generally looks good and is on target for "28 weeks and change (5 days)", the next u/s will be to try and determine how the lungs look. She's down to about one contraction per hour, which means things have really slowed down (good news!) but haven't stopped like they hoped/anticipated (bad news). But short contractions like that are manageable and won't do much to promote labor, so if things continue in this trend, she may have to remain in hospital, but things would be delayed for awhile longer.

Again, thanks. She is a good friend, and we unfortunately know how difficult going through a premature delivery can be, even with minor complications and a happy outcome, because this happened to our friend a year ago.