View Full Version : No more foreigners

SequSpur
06-14-2006, 11:56 AM
:wakeup

DarrinS
06-14-2006, 12:59 PM

In our country? Or on the Spurs? :angel

Actually, I'm getting a little tired of them too.

How often is a team going to luck out with a Parker, Ginobili, or a guy like Boris Diaw?

I haven't been overly impressed with Ginobili's compatriot, and I'm not getting overly excited about the Lithuanian guy either. And PLEASE, no more Slovenians.

velik_m
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
i agree, less foreigners more Sequ

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2006, 01:03 PM
In our country? Or on the Spurs? :angel

Actually, I'm getting a little tired of them too.

How often is a team going to luck out with a Parker, Ginobili, or a guy like Boris Diaw?

I haven't been overly impressed with Ginobili's compatriot, and I'm not getting overly excited about the Lithuanian guy either. And PLEASE, no more Slovenians.
Is there something wrong with them?

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Their timing's off on the Gatorade dispensing

DarrinS
06-14-2006, 01:07 PM

Slovenians?

Hell no. Rasho and Beno are the best C and PG in the NBA. :rolleyes

angel_luv
06-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Boosh, Sequ.

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Slovenians?

Hell no. Rasho and Beno are the best C and PG in the NBA. :clap :worthy: :smokin

SequSpur
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Slovenians are prime examples as to why the Spurs don't need any more foriegners..

the fan
06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
I don't mind foreigners on the Spurs as long as they can play. At times I wish Pop would draft someone from college that I have seen play. I know we hit it big with Tony and Manu and not so much with Rasho and Beno but I think Beno can still be a solid back-up. I wonder why we don't give Marks a chance to prove if he belongs in the NBA or not. I would like to see him get extended minutes in meaningful games.

Not only wouldn't I mind seeing some Americans coming to the Spurs, I want to see some Texans and possibly San Antonians. Let's bring back Devin Brown!

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Slovenians are prime examples as to why the Spurs don't need any more foriegners..

Have you seen Beno's cousin? Girl is freakin hot

Slo spurs fan
06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Go ask your mama for another candy...

picnroll
06-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Deport all Canadians.

ShoogarBear
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
And how about those British mfer's?

nkdlunch
06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah because they win all the championships...

Last year Manu, Duncan, Parker

this year Nowitzki

and next year Nash, Barbosa, Diaw

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I for one would have liked to see more of Marks. Don't ask me why. I saw him play in some games last season and was impressed with his outside touch and aggressiveness. It may have been when the Spurs were blowing out the other teams when he was in there, but I still liked what I saw. He was more aggressive on the offensive side than Rasho. I still give it to Rasho on defense though.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
If Amare is healthy, watch out! That team is going to be dangerous. They better hope they keep all those pieces they have though.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
No more foreignors???

Alright, say good bye to Tim Duncan, Manu, and Tony.

If it weren't for foreignors, the Spurs would have 0 rings.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Can someone remind me who or what we got in return for Barbosa?

greywheel
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
No more foreignors???

Alright, say good bye to Tim Duncan, Manu, and Tony.

If it weren't for foreignors, the Spurs would have 0 rings.

:pctoss Tim Duncan is US Citizen :madrun

thispego
06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Have you seen Beno's cousin? Girl is freakin hot
you must submit pictures to make such claims

boutons_
06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
"Tim Duncan is US Citizen"

Tony is a US citizen.

greywheel
06-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Tim was born a US Citizen in US territory.

Edit: And if Tony was born a US citizen that just means Alvarez was wrong twice.

nkdlunch
06-14-2006, 01:59 PM
How can he be citizen? Tony can't even speak english.

This is a transcript from his last interview:
Tony: asdiaa adsflakjsdf asdlfjasdf Timmi alsdkjfklasdjfalk Eeeva laskdjfa...

cheguevara
06-14-2006, 02:01 PM
"Tim Duncan is US Citizen"

Tony is a US citizen.

Tony plays for France team. He is french.

SuperManu!!!
06-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Tim duncan is from Virgin Islands, just as parker was born in belgium

manustarting2gd
06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
amare better start shooting jump shots cause his dunking days are over.

Amare's got a J. It was a pretty decent one at that. It has been what a year and a half now? If he's smart he focused on his j alot and adding other aspects to his game to offset his loss of athleticism after the injury. Either way Phx is scary in 07.

austinfan
06-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Who cares where someone was born, as long as they play well and can help us win a ring?

cheguevara
06-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Amare's got a J. It was a pretty decent one at that. It has been what a year and a half now? If he's smart he focused on his j alot and adding other aspects to his game to offset his loss of athleticism after the injury. Either way Phx is scary in 07.

mmm I don't know about that. Amare was sinking his Js 2 years ago because ppl would leave him wide open. Now that he might not be able to power himself inside, people will not leave him open and he might struggle. we'll see

v2freak
06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I can see some advantages to what SequSpur is saying ..

SenorSpur
06-14-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't mind foreigners on the Spurs as long as they can play. At times I wish Pop would draft someone from college that I have seen play.

Yeah, like Josh Howard

birdy219
06-14-2006, 04:00 PM
The Spurs definitely need more youth and athleticism. Last year, it was our ability to run that brought us to the promised land. I don't care if it comes in the form of foreigners or not. We need athletic skilled players period.

NZHayden
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Foreigners are awesome. basketball is a global sport, the usa aren't even world champions meaning there must be some decent talent outside of the usa, why not have them on the spurs?

v2freak
06-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Of course there is talent outside of the USA, but the biggest reason to me to start signing more American-born players is this: these players will be less likely to injure themselves during the offseason. Manu, Tony and gang play for their respective countries.

ALVAREZ6
06-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Virgin Islands = foreign place.

German_Spursfan
06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Tim Duncan is from Virgin Islands = foreign place?
Tony Parker is from France
Rasho Nesterovich is from Slownia

I don't know what Adolf Hitler is thinking about, but perhaps, he would agree to you. Better be american, play american and think american.
There was a whole of prejudices about americans, perhaps there right.

Ariel
06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, like Josh Howard
Actually, the Spurs didn't pass on Josh Howard for a foreigner, but for a very American Jason Kidd, who would have possibly come at the expense of both Manu and Tony. But boy, would that have been something!!!

Kidd's USA born knee >>> Manu + Tony!!!

Virgin Islands = foreign place.
It's the U.S. Virgin Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Virgin_Islands), and they're a USA territory. Tim Duncan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan) is a USA citizen, he's not foreign.

nbascribe
06-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Of course there is talent outside of the USA, but the biggest reason to me to start signing more American-born players is this: these players will be less likely to injure themselves during the offseason. Manu, Tony and gang play for their respective countries.

Huh?

Okay I can see where Sequ was trying to go with this thread but here's the deal:

Until you get American ball players to commit to college more than two years, many teams will not take a chance on them.

One of the biggest things that David Stern said last week in his state of the NBA address was that American basketball, as a system, is piss poor and he's right. When you have shoe companies hounding kids when they're ten, it doesn't bode well for the product.

The reason why foreign players are succeeding is because they are fundamentally sound in the skill sets. American ball players do not, as a whole, work on the fundamentals of the game. Take a good look at the Finals or at how the Suns play. Very few teams play 'team' basketball and have players who are structurely sound in their basketball concepts.

But to say that the Spurs have to go American is crap too. The Spurs need to draft players who will help the team succeed. Sometimes it might be a player who is from the States and sometimes it's one from overseas. If you want to blame the Spurs for not taking an American player, then maybe it's time we start blaming the shoe companies and parents of these exploited American players for their selfishness.

Just my thoughts on the whole deal.

ducks
06-14-2006, 06:03 PM
most foreinors stay out of trouble with the law

that is important for the spurs

I guess not so much for posters here

ducks
06-14-2006, 06:05 PM
players from the usa play in offseason as well as other players that are born outside the usa

see bowen

exstatic
06-14-2006, 06:28 PM

I'll bet he doesn't hit it at 90-95% like his dunks. That makes him less effective.

SequSpur
06-14-2006, 08:41 PM
What do shoe companies have to do with Rasho and Beno postseason performance?

Foreigners just don't get the "no layup" rule.

Taking it to the Hole
06-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Parker is a dual citizen of France and the US.

Tobias
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I proclaim this thread henceforth is about demanding pics to be posted of Beno's supposedly hot cousin.

ducks
06-14-2006, 08:53 PM
What do shoe companies have to do with Rasho and Beno postseason performance?

Foreigners just don't get the "no layup" rule.
yes a shoe deal makes a player great :rolleyes

how many does duncan have
how much bigger of a shoe endorsement does james have over duncan :madrun

Solid D
06-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Players like Boris Diaw and Andres Nocioni don't get the no-layup rule then, I guess.

smeagol
06-14-2006, 10:11 PM
No more Sequ . . .

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kori Ellis
06-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Sequ Is A Foreigner. He Was Born In England!

Solid D
06-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Sequ is a Latin word....for follower.

NorCal510
06-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Lets get em all from da yay area yadidamean my nig?

ShoogarBear
06-14-2006, 10:43 PM
And how about those British mfer's?

SequSpur
06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Sequ Is A Foreigner. He Was Born In England!

:lol :lol :lol

v2freak
06-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Huh?

Okay I can see where Sequ was trying to go with this thread but here's the deal:

Until you get American ball players to commit to college more than two years, many teams will not take a chance on them.

One of the biggest things that David Stern said last week in his state of the NBA address was that American basketball, as a system, is piss poor and he's right. When you have shoe companies hounding kids when they're ten, it doesn't bode well for the product.

The reason why foreign players are succeeding is because they are fundamentally sound in the skill sets. American ball players do not, as a whole, work on the fundamentals of the game. Take a good look at the Finals or at how the Suns play. Very few teams play 'team' basketball and have players who are structurely sound in their basketball concepts.

But to say that the Spurs have to go American is crap too. The Spurs need to draft players who will help the team succeed. Sometimes it might be a player who is from the States and sometimes it's one from overseas. If you want to blame the Spurs for not taking an American player, then maybe it's time we start blaming the shoe companies and parents of these exploited American players for their selfishness.

Just my thoughts on the whole deal.

The number of times I have heard the stereotype that American players only care about flash and shoe deals has just been upped 1, yet again.

But, let me clarify what I was saying before. Let's say the Spurs re-sign Devin Brown, an American. Because the NBA is an American league, the chances of Devin Brown playing for the US are lower than the chances of Beno Udrih playing for Slovenia. Americans are getting drafted everywhere, whereas only the best of the best (most of the time, exclude exceptions like Dejan Bodiroga) international players make it here. So of course those players are probably going to represent their countries too. The NBA is a buisness, and NBA teams should get to protect their investments - that is, their players. The more a player plays, the more that play is likely to get injured. More Devin Browns and less Beno Udrihs result in fewer chances of injury to the players and team.

It's the U.S. Virgin Islands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Virgin_Islands), and they're a USA territory. Tim Duncan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Duncan) is a USA citizen, he's not foreign.

Correct

Solid D
06-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Sequ's just playin. He probably already received his kit (T-Shirt, Shorts, Socks and Spiral-bound Primer) for the Rasho FANtasy Summer Basketball Camp.

Solid D
06-15-2006, 01:08 AM
http://mailbling.com/draft44.jpg

Sometimes, all you have clean to wear is "foreign players'" gear.

T Park
06-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Ignore him.

he doesn't mean it, and hes full of hot air.

You euros let it get to you toooo easily.

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2006, 01:33 AM
The state US basketball is in, there's more promise in foreigners especially for the Spurs who rarely have a low draft pick. But I do agree that a paradigm shift needs to be made at how we look at US players

Ariel
06-15-2006, 03:56 AM
No more foreigners?

Honestly, I didn't ever consider taking this argument seriously, but some replies might warrant just that.

The Spurs don't draft native US players or foreign players, they draft bball players. The better talent, the draft pick. What's fairly obvious to see is that, over a long period of time -particularly before the last few years-, probably the very same mindset some posts in this thread reek of, and a lack of vision, resulted in deficient international scouting that enabled a franchise doing their homework to get their hands on otherwise unattainable superior talent.

A simple revision of recent history should suffice to convince anyone that, for the most part, the foreign players were far and away the best option available in single every draft.

Who was better than Manu with the 57th pick in 1999?
Who was better than Tony with the 29th pick in 2001? you could make a case for Arenas, but in any case Tony is a good enough player to make it at the very least an understandable decision, picking -at wost- the 2nd best player out of the 29 available.
Who was better than Robertas Javtokas with the 56th pick in 2001?
Who was better than Luis Scola with the 56th pick in 2002?

The jury is still out on both Sanikidze (43rd pick, 2004, could have had Ariza) and Mahinmi (29th pick, 2005, could have had Ryan Gomes), but in any case their promise is good enough to assure that, even if not the best option available -which they may very well be-, they're at worst the second best player of the dozens left on the draft, making it impossible for any rational thinker to spin it on the FO.

The only cases I might grant you could challenge are Beno Udrih (24th pick, 2004), and FA signing Fabricio Oberto. Ironically enough, in the first case the better option would have probably been yet another foreigner, Anderson Varejao... so, no grounds for a 'buy USA' claim there. Also, though there could have been better alternatives, neither came at a high expense, and both can very well prove worth their signings in time. And, in any case, in any direction you go you can't expect everything to be 100% perfect. If you ask me, those are very minor bumps on the road of a giant history of success.

So we're left with the much maligned Rasho Nesterovic. Now, certainly he hasn't lived up to expectations... but I have to ask, was his signing part of the foreign wave? Remember, he had already played in the US for a long time, so he was essencially an established NBA player. And, most importantly, what was the 'American' alternative? none other than the great Michael Olowokandi!!! -not US native, but developed in the American system, which is ultimately much more important- now, would that have been much better? Forgive me if I'm skeptical.

Having gone through that, a few questions arise:

Which clearly superior US born player did they pass on just for the sake of drafting a foreigner?
Is there a significant improvement they could have had by drafting native talent instead?
The ultimate question would be, knowing what you know today, would you have done different?

Remember, we're talking about passing on better native US talent for the sake of drafting foreign... I mention this because someone might as inevitably as erroneously bring up the cases of Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels. However, that decision wasn't due to prioritizing foreign talent over that of America, but because of Tim and the Spurs' craving for Jason Kidd... another American!!! so no, you don't get to pout about this one either.

So, after those questions I leave to your analysis, I'll bring up another interesting matter, one that goes overlooked: What would be of Tim Duncan and subsequently the Spurs, had they not gotten their hands on Manu Ginóbili and Tony Parker?

My guess is, watching the Magic own the NBA time and again for the last few years. Remember Tim's reluctance to sign a long term contract without a player option in between? Why do you think that was? So that if the Spurs weren't going the right direction, he'd re-sign for less to help them? :lol

And so I ask again... no more foreigners?

RON ARTEST
06-15-2006, 04:52 AM
if it wasnt for these foreigners you would have ZERO titles buddy. this is the dumbest thing you have said in like 2 hours.

GrandeDavid
06-15-2006, 05:26 AM

this year Nowitzki

Next year Nash, Barbosa, Diaw? Dude, I know ball, especially championship ball, and you can take Leandrinho off that list. Next year I think San Antonio will win the championship, so you should make your comment a Dallas sandwich, i.e. Spurs - Dallas - Spurs.

Phoenix!? LOL!!! Brother, I'm not even sure Nash's back will hold up by next year's playoffs and I can't wait to see Amare magically learn how to play some defense and Leandrinho learn to hit shots consistently. I personally know Leandrinho and he's a very nice guy, so I feel uncool cracking on him, but its true.

But more to the point, good American players will get into the league if they deserve it. The influx of foreign players, I think, is terrific for the game and its global growth.

nkdlunch
06-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Next year Nash, Barbosa, Diaw? Dude, I know ball, especially championship ball, and you can take Leandrinho off that list. Next year I think San Antonio will win the championship, so you should make your comment a Dallas sandwich, i.e. Spurs - Dallas - Spurs.

Phoenix!? LOL!!! Brother, I'm not even sure Nash's back will hold up by next year's playoffs and I can't wait to see Amare magically learn how to play some defense and Leandrinho learn to hit shots consistently. I personally know Leandrinho and he's a very nice guy, so I feel uncool cracking on him, but its true.

But more to the point, good American players will get into the league if they deserve it. The influx of foreign players, I think, is terrific for the game and its global growth.

Hey, in 2005 you would have dismissed and laughed at someone saying that in 2006 Mavs and heat would play for the title.

If one thing I've learned from this season is that NBA's new way of officiating anything can happen. And Suns have as good a chance as Spurs or Mavs to reach the finals next year. you shall see...

waly.mg
06-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Tim was born a US Citizen in US territory.

Edit: And if Tony was born a US citizen that just means Alvarez was wrong twice.

Really

i Saw USA Team vs Raja Bell and The Virgin Islands National Team, and TD donīt play that Game because he donīt want to play vs His Birth Place Team

Puerto Rico is a US Territory too, and Arroyo is a US Citizen but heīs a Foreigner, and PR have a great National Team

Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing are Foreigners too, and Both played for the "Dream Team"

nkdlunch
06-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Really

i Saw USA Team vs Raja Bell and The Virgin Islands National Team, and TD donīt play that Game because he donīt want to play vs His Birth Place Team

Puerto Rico is a US Territory too, and Arroyo is a US Citizen but heīs a Foreigner, and PR have a great National Team

Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing are Foreigners too, and Both played for the "Dream Team"

good point. By their logic, Saddam Hussein is a US citizen :lol

DarrinS
06-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Actually, I don't care if they're freakin Eskimos as long as they have game.

luna8190
06-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Can someone remind me who or what we got in return for Barbosa?

we traded for a future first round pick that turned into the 30th pick in the 2005 draft that new york used to draft david lee

angel_luv
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Sequ, were you born on a military base and if so which one?

luna8190
06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
at least we arent still gettin guys like Zarko Paspalj & Uwe Blab anymore , now those were the days.

I remember being at blossom athletic center during a spurs mini-camp when they introduced zarko... foreigners have some a long way
__________________________________________________ ____________________

"Zarko arrived to the Spurs in 1989, and lived four months in my house," Popovich said. "I had to move the bed outside because he never stopped smoking. So I got to know him well. I was convinced that he was a great player, but the club had chosen Sean Elliott with the second pick in the draft, and they had to take advantage of him...Even Sean recognized that Paspalj was able to do the same things as him, but didn't get the opportunity...Those were different times. The NBA, with its status and power, thought that the basketball world began and ended with American basketball, and we needed to see guys like Divac and Marciulionis to convince us otherwise."

Solid D
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I too went to see Zarko during some of the practice sessions and I really liked his offensive skills, but he was a turnstile. Sean Elliott played much better defense.

luna8190
06-15-2006, 12:53 PM
haha... thats a good word for it... "turnstile"... he had some game, no doubt about it. but realistically he never had a chance with larry brown coachin..

the fan
06-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Remember that the Spurs draft very late and everyone drafted in the first round gets a guaranteed contract. Foreigners are many times locked into a contract with someone else so the Spurs can wait and watch if these picks pan out in other professional leagues on someone else's dime. This frees up money to sign free agents.

I think this is a very good strategy. It is just too difficult and risky to find a Howard so late in the draft on a consistent basis.

Mavs_All_the_Way
06-15-2006, 01:20 PM

this year Nowitzki

Actually Nowitzki will win again next year, see, this is how you defend your title and repeat!

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Actually Nowitzki will win again next year, see, this is how you defend your title and repeat!

Premature.

Mavs_All_the_Way
06-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Premature.

I'm sure they will win, They are just going to get better...

polandprzem
06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Sequ's word-bomb. But this time it exploaded.

Kirlilenko

v2freak
06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Premature.

Quite

clubalien
06-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Tim Dunca=US CITZEN BORN AND RAISED
the dude played for the US national team (he sucked and lost and always was in foul trouble)
how the freak can you think he isn't American

US virgin islands ring any bells for you?

anyways We went after jason KiDD I am not sure what nationality he is, but I think he is an american

SequSpur
06-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Sequ, were you born on a military base and if so which one?

Wethersfield.

angel_luv
06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Wethersfield.

You are like me- not born a Texan, just got here as fast as we could, eh? :fro

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 07:04 PM
AGAIN??? You gotta win this year before you can say that! :lol

Solid D
06-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Wethersfield.

Blimey bloke! Little did we know that pie you keep demanding might include Shepherd's Pie.

http://gc.kls2.com/flags/gb.gif

NBA/ABA Players Born in Great Britain

Archibald, Robert 2002-2003
Bucknall, Steve 1989-1989
Donaldson, James 1980-1994
Ebi, Ndudi 2003-
Gordon, Ben 2004-2005
Harris, Chris 1955-1955

http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/bycountry.htm?code=GBR

SequSpur
06-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Blimey bloke! Little did we know that pie you keep demanding might include Shepherd's Pie.

Shepherd's Pie?

SpursWoman
06-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Shepherd's Pie?

http://www.prevention.com/images/cma/shepherds_pie.jpg

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm sure they will win, They are just going to get better...
Stupid Mavs chode forum