PDA

View Full Version : Could Shawn Marion be had?

DarrinS
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I remember hearing some rumors that Phoenix might be willing to deal him. Any chance?

If Tim could be convinced to slide over to center, a guy like Marion could move into PF role. At other times, he could spell minutes for Bowen.

To me, Marion is exactly what the Spurs need. He's a good shooter, a good defender, a good rebounder, etc. etc.

Mr. Body
06-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Not for the Spurs. There was talk of getting the Chicago top pick. Nothing the Spurs could get.

leemajors
06-14-2006, 12:54 PM
we cannot afford shawn marion.

picnroll
06-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Sure. Get Sarver to buy out Marion's contract and then have the Spurs sign him for MLE. Better yet sign him for veteran's minimum so the Spurs still have their MLE.

MoSpur
06-14-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm sure he could be had, but that would require a lot. The Spurs aren't going to tear apart their core for Marion. The Spurs don't need a big name. They need good role players.

George Gervin's Afro
06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm sure he could be had, but that would require a lot. The Spurs aren't going to tear apart their core for Marion. The Spurs don't need a big name. They need good role players.

it would probably take TP and Manu..although straight up for TP I'd do it but Phoenix nor any other team would pay a back up point guard 11 million a season..especially when Nash is your first teamer

nkdlunch
06-14-2006, 01:47 PM
We need a true reliable bakup point guard and a forward who can guard those big athletic SF. Marion is neither

DDS4
06-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Trade Manu for him. .

nkdlunch
06-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Manu in the Suns

that would be a badass team

Mixability
06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm sure the Matrix would love to only have to worry about Bruce during practice. At least he'd get owned behind closed doors.

SenorSpur
06-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Pipe dream only.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
We need a true reliable bakup point guard and a forward who can guard those big athletic SF. Marion is neither

Marion would be that.

He is a SF that can play PF, rebounds the hell out of the ball, defends really well, and can score. He'd be exactly what the Spurs are looking for.

But he's way too expensive and after all the rumors, I think the Suns came out and said they aren't moving him.

Das Texan
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Marion would be the perfect fit for what we want.

Now we just have to go out and find the Shawn Marion lite that is out there.

If Marion played on a team that actually knew what defense was, he would be a top defender in this league.

nbascribe
06-14-2006, 05:48 PM
as the pipe dream continues.....:lol

has anyone seen what Marion makes? c'mon now.

At least the J.R. Smith situation is in some type of reality.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2006, 07:27 PM
rofl @ the dork who said marion would not fit cuz he can't play and guard SF's

he's like the best rebounding SF in the game

exstatic
06-14-2006, 07:35 PM
He makes about $10M a year TOO MUCH (13.7M) to be a 4th option. Only Phoenix was stupid enough to pay him that for that role, and they even seem to be wising up, if rumors are to be believed.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Even though he doesn't step up in the playoffs, and bowen has locked him down, I would love to see him as a spur

even if he was overpaid

we would be 3lit3 if he were a spur, the perfect bowen replacement possible

exstatic
06-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Marion would score about 12 ppg on any other team than Phoenix. He gets half his points off the break, and that is why he struggles in the playoffs. Bowen isn't the only one to lock him down. He just struggles in the half court offense. He really would only bring defense and rebounding to the table, and you can get that a LOT cheaper than $14M a year.

Shawn Marion may be THE most overrated player in the league. He's a system player if ever I saw one. Think: college run and shoot QB. His teams in Phoenix have always run, and always failed in the playoffs.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2006, 09:08 PM
hmmm, good point, yeah you are right

but his D and Rebs would be worth the money in my opinion, plus he gets OR's as well, could be that garbage man we have needed since Drob's departure

if the D and R marion is capable of is so cheap, we better get that shit in this offseason

plus if he plays servicable, solid D in PHOENIX, he could be THE premire lockdown defender under the spurs system and bowen's tutelege

Winnipeg_Spur
06-14-2006, 09:13 PM
I really hate Marion's offensive game, it's all such junk (even though a lot of it goes in, at least in the regular season). Floaty half-hooks, an odd looking runner and just maybe the ugliest jumper in the league. It's a crime against nature everytime his jumpshot falls.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-14-2006, 09:15 PM
his sickest trademark is that little floater he shoots, but he's so springy that he just aims for the lower mid backboard, and jumps to tip in his own missed shot

he did that lno against the spurs in 2003

he's an expert at it, really

exstatic
06-14-2006, 09:43 PM
But for the grace of God (and being drafted by Phoenix) Shawn Marion would be James Posey. They were both similarly ranked coming out of college. Marion gets drafted by a lottery pick the Suns stole from someone, going to an already good team, and Posey gets shitty non-playoff Denver, then Houston in a down year, then Memphis and their watch paint dry offense. He played well for Miami this year, but again, like Memphis, got caught in a numbers/minutes jam. I can't help but think that if he were plugged in to someones rotation and given 35 minutes, he'd put up 14p/7r, and shoot well from downtown, probably 35-40% depending on the post threat he played off of.

THE SIXTH MAN
06-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Two questions, how old is he and when is he a free agent?

exstatic
06-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Marion '08
Posey has an option this year (doubtful) and is free next summer.

06-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Marion would score about 12 ppg on any other team than Phoenix. He gets half his points off the break, and that is why he struggles in the playoffs.

I am going to assume that what you meant to say was that he struggled in the handful playoff games that you have actually watched.

He has not had great success against the Spurs, this much is true. However, you can count on 20 and 10 almost every night from Shawn. He is not a system player. He has played for 4 or 5 head coaches, all who varied in styles from Ainge to Skiles to D'Antoni. He has played with 4 different point guards, from pass-first Kidd and Nash, to shoot first Marbury. All Marion has done during that time is put up close to 20 and 10, no matter what.

This year regular season he put up 21ppg and 11rpg, in the playoffs he put up 20 and 11.

For his career his is 18ppg and 10rpg, playoff career 17 and 11.

Marion gets drafted by a lottery pick the Suns stole from someone...

The Suns traded Nash to the Mavs for the pick and a few spare parts.

exstatic
06-14-2006, 11:30 PM
I am going to assume that what you meant to say was that he struggled in the handful playoff games that you have actually watched.

He has not had great success against the Spurs, this much is true. However, you can count on 20 and 10 almost every night from Shawn. He is not a system player. He has played for 4 or 5 head coaches, all who varied in styles from Ainge to Skiles to D'Antoni. He has played with 4 different point guards, from pass-first Kidd and Nash, to shoot first Marbury. All Marion has done during that time is put up close to 20 and 10, no matter what.

This year regular season he put up 21ppg and 11rpg, in the playoffs he put up 20 and 11.

For his career his is 18ppg and 10rpg, playoff career 17 and 11.

The Suns traded Nash to the Mavs for the pick and a few spare parts.
The common thread is that EVERY Suns team he's played on has been Run'n'Gun, so in that sense, he IS a system player. Didn't matter who the coach was or who the PG was, Phoenix fucking RAN. That's playoff death.

Almost all of his numbers are lower in the playoffs, in spite of playing an average of 2.5 more minutes per game. The sample size is pretty good, too, with 54 playoff games.

There is no fucking way he's the best player on the Suns. On his best day, he's the third wheel behind Nash and Amare, yet he's paid like a Franchise guy.

SenorSpur
06-14-2006, 11:37 PM
The common thread is that EVERY Suns team he's played on has been Run'n'Gun, so in that sense, he IS a system player. Didn't matter who the coach was or who the PG was, Phoenix fucking RAN. That's playoff death.

Almost all of his numbers are lower in the playoffs, in spite of playing an average of 2.5 more minutes per game. The sample size is pretty good, too, with 54 playoff games.

There is no fucking way he's the best player on the Suns. On his best day, he's the third wheel behind Nash and Amare, yet he's paid like a Franchise guy.

That's why it's Phoenix's problem. I heard he makes something like 17 mil per year.

exstatic
06-15-2006, 07:10 AM
That's why it's Phoenix's problem. I heard he makes something like 17 mil per year.
$13.7M last year, but bump that by 12.5% for each of the next two years for those figures.

nkdlunch
06-15-2006, 09:09 AM
rofl @ the dork who said marion would not fit cuz he can't play and guard SF's

he's like the best rebounding SF in the game

I'm the dork who said that. Marion has no defensive skills whatsoever. If you beleive he's a good defender u the dork.

Even Manu, who is smaller,weaker and slower owns his ass. please, :rolleyes Spurs defense would suffer w/a guy like Marion especially in the playoffs.

DarrinS
06-15-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm the dork who said that. Marion has no defensive skills whatsoever. If you beleive he's a good defender u the dork.

Even Manu, who is smaller,weaker and slower owns his ass. please, :rolleyes Spurs defense would suffer w/a guy like Marion especially in the playoffs.

Marion is no Bruce Bowen but he's best defender on the Suns after Raja. He's got an awkward looking jumpshot, for sure, but that damn thing does in most of the time. His defense could be further improved if he were in the right "system". He's a very versatile player that can play numerous positions. He IS paid quite a bit of money, but, .... How much are we paying Rasho? I forget.

We may not be able to get him, but if we get a player LIKE him (and a serviceable backup for TP), then the Spurs will be in excellent shape for next season, IMO.

I still like the idea of moving Timmy to center and bringing someone else in at PF. I think this could extend Timmy's career in S.A. Anyone else with me?

AZLouis
06-15-2006, 10:30 AM
He's paid a lot of money for sure. But he also is one of 4 players in the league that averaged 20/10 last season. While also leading the Suns in blocks, steals, minutes played, and a few other categories.

He's been an all-star a few times, all-nba, all-defense, he's got the whole package. Except for his GD playoff performances where he goes casper.

He gets paid like a franchise player because at the time he was signed he in fact was.

Problem is now he is the 3rd or 4th wheel on the Suns team. Amare and Nash obviously are above him, and it can be argued that last season Joe Johnson became the 3rd wheel and this past season Diaw became that guy.

Marion can and has defended 4 positions this season. His defensive versatility being showcased during the playoffs when having to defend the likes of Elton Brand, Sam Cassell, Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, Dirk Nowtizki, and Josh Howard.

But he wouldn't fit in with the Spurs. The style of game isn't what he excels at and which can easily explain his troubles in the playoffs. A fast paced game better suits his talents.

nkdlunch
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
but he's best defender on the Suns after Raja.

that's not saying much

DarrinS
06-15-2006, 10:35 AM
But he wouldn't fit in with the Spurs. The style of game isn't what he excels at and which can easily explain his troubles in the playoffs. A fast paced game better suits his talents.

Not to rub salt in an old wound, but didn't the Spurs beat Phoenix in some pretty fast-paced games last year? Yes, but we also had a different supporting cast.

IMO, the Spurs need some more youth and speed to compete with the likes of the Mavs and Suns. NBA rules have changed that benefit "small ball" teams. Spurs have to adapt.