PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Takes Shot At Riley On 'Letterman Show'

ace3g
06-15-2006, 04:09 AM
ESPN.com - Mavericks owner Mark Cuban took a shot at Heat coach Pat Riley during an appearance Wednesday night on CBS's "Late Show with David Letterman."

Cuban, wearing a Ben Roethlisberger jersey, brought up Riley's coaching tactics when he was with the Knicks after Letterman asked about the Dallas owner's contributions to the NBA.

"I've tried to make it more fun, but we've changed the rules around some," Cuban said. "I mean, the game got to a point where it really, it slowed down, and then they went through a whole set of rules changes, which really helped, and then these past couple years, I really got involved to outlaw all the handchecking and all the beating up of guys on the perimeter, so now the game's gotten a lot smoother, so you've got superstars like Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki who can take the ball to the hoop without all of that old Knicks ball, the old Pat Riley stuff, where they'd just beat up on people. So, we changed it up some."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/40931/20060615/cuban_takes_shot_at__riley_on_letterman_show/

and Mav Fans say Dirk doesnt get special treatment during games. Marc Cuban what is wrong with handchecking, what Dirk cant handle the contact? joking aside, what is wrong with handchecking and tough defense

and now we know publicly that Cuban has an influence during games

there is no denying that mav fans

NoMoneyDown
06-15-2006, 06:50 AM
so you've got superstars like Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki who can take the ball to the hoop

You've got to be kidding me - Dirk a superstar known for taking the ball to the hoop? That's like saying Spud Webb is a superstar Shaq defender.

boutons_
06-15-2006, 09:01 AM
"Dirk a superstar known for taking the ball to the hoop"

He drove a lot on the Spurs, and tied Game7 with seconds remaining with a drive and two-handed dunk attempt, rather than a jumper from his preferred spot.

nkdlunch
06-15-2006, 09:45 AM
So what the fuck does that mean??? How about the superstars of the 80s and 90s?? They played w/Riley type defense and still kicked ass.

that would mean Jordan, isaiah, etc with today's defense, would make Wade, Dirk look like little schoolgirls.

Thank god when Cuban and Stern die, the game might go back to what it was. and only the REAL superstars will excel

NoMoneyDown
06-15-2006, 09:46 AM
"Dirk a superstar known for taking the ball to the hoop"

He drove a lot on the Spurs, and tied Game7 with seconds remaining with a drive and two-handed dunk attempt, rather than a jumper from his preferred spot.

A lot? Some, but not a lot. Regardless, it is not his forte to drive to the basket a'la the other "superstars" Cuban mentioned. Also, wasn't his dunk at the end of G7 because he was finishing a break (i.e., not because he was driving from a set offense)?

Mavtek
06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
A lot? Some, but not a lot. Regardless, it is not his forte to drive to the basket a'la the other "superstars" Cuban mentioned. Also, wasn't his dunk at the end of G7 because he was finishing a break (i.e., not because he was driving from a set offense)?

Jesus how could you not watch game 7!! It came out a time out which always means half court offense. HELLO!!

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2006, 10:54 AM

Spurs we're up by three so they gave up an easy two

Trainwreck2100
06-15-2006, 10:56 AM
So what the fuck does that mean??? How about the superstars of the 80s and 90s?? They played w/Riley type defense and still kicked ass.

that would mean Jordan, isaiah, etc with today's defense, would make Wade, Dirk look like little schoolgirls.

Thank god when Cuban and Stern die, the game might go back to what it was. and only the REAL superstars will excel

He wants to turn this into a game for pussies.

LEONARD
06-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Cuban is the man... :fro

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2006, 12:07 PM
was that spinache stuck between his teethS?

Neuromancer
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Marc Cuban should be stabbed in the heart with a shit covered fork.

LEONARD
06-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Marc Cuban should be stabbed in the heart with a shit covered fork.

Statements like that make Cuban even greater than he is...

After the Mavs close out the Heat, Cuban is going to be everywhere...driving Spurs fans and everybody else crazy! Host Saturday Night Live maybe?? :lol :fro

GO MAVS GO!!

ace3g
06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
yep he will be driving us crazy until next year when the spurs beat the mavs in the WCF (they way it should have been it wasnt for stern and his stupid setup for seeding teams in the playoffs)

SPARKY
06-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Somewhat amusing given how Riley originally made his mark as a head coach in the NBA.

ace3g
06-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I wonder if all the forearms to the gut when dirk drives is legal?

thats the way the league use to be and if it wasnt for stern and people like Cuban the league would still be like that. What Dirk cant handle a little contact,

like I always said, dont get flustered by your defender, just get past him"

ducks
06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
did not cuban say the heat might beat then in miama but would not in texas?

idiot to show no faith in your team like that

aaronstampler
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Cuban ripped Nash too. He's utterly without class.

FromWayDowntown
06-15-2006, 11:25 PM
It's pretty sad that when his team is on the biggest stage it will ever see, Mark Cuban decides to make the story mostly about himself.

CubanMustGo
06-15-2006, 11:29 PM
It's pretty sad that when his team is on the biggest stage it will ever see, Mark Cuban decides to make the story mostly about himself.

Hello? The Cuban mindset is all about self-aggrandizment. Always has been, always will be. You guys don't see it because you don't have the misfortune of living up here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-15-2006, 11:33 PM
That's not sad, it's typical Mark Cuban.

BTW, I find it funny that Jordan had no problem getting to the rim during the "Riley era", and last I checked he was about 100 times the superstar Dirk Nowitzki can ever hope to become.

FromWayDowntown
06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
That's not sad, it's typical Mark Cuban.

True. Sad was a poor word choice on my part; it's actually pathetic, I think.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
What kind of a pathetic whining pussy would think it's cool to go on national TV and admit that he got the rules changed so he could win?

DirkAB
06-16-2006, 01:00 AM
Marc Cuban what is wrong with handchecking, what Dirk cant handle the contact? joking aside, what is wrong with handchecking and tough defense

What the hell do you think is wrong with it? It's a foul!!!!!!!! Look it up in the rule book. It's ridiculous that they let it go for as long as they did. Next on the officials' checklist, get rid of all the BS charging calls. It is getting fucking out of hand. A player doesn't even have to be moving toward the basket anymore to get called for a charge, ridiculous.

I H8 Mavs Fans
06-16-2006, 01:04 AM
So he disses Riles and then has his boy Stack try and take out Shaq, real hypocritical.