PDA

View Full Version : NBA Explains Time Malfunction From Game 3

ace3g
06-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Press Release - The following statement was issued by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations, in regard to a timing malfunction during Game 3 of the 2006 NBA Finals:

“Upon review of Game 3 of the NBA Finals between Miami and Dallas, the NBA League Office has determined that the game timing system malfunctioned on two separate occasions in the fourth period. With 45.3 seconds remaining in the game, the clock continued to run for 2.5 seconds after a foul was called on Jason Terry of the Mavericks, and with 4.3 seconds remaining in the game, the clock continued to run for 0.9 seconds after a foul was called on Udonis Haslem of the Heat. In both cases, the cause of the problem was a malfunction in the electronic device worn by one of the game officials, which is designed to automatically stop the clock when the referee's whistle is blown.

“The NBA will replace the defective equipment for subsequent games of the Finals.”

Link (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/40933/20060615/nba_explains_time_malfunction_from_game_3/)

Burn531
06-15-2006, 04:30 AM
I didn't even know there was a problem with the time. What a difference the game could've been.

ace3g
06-15-2006, 04:33 AM
yeah officials always mess up on the time especially in clutch moments, hence why .4 happened against the spurs, I wish a sensor type technology could be invented so when the ball is touched the clock starts, that way the ref doesnt have to make a "judgement" on when the player touches the ball

MadDog73
06-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Why stop there?

Put sensors on the players to accurately reflect fouls, too.

LEONARD
06-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Sucks that it happened, but it's not why the Mavs lost...

Solid D
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I noticed, as it happened, the clock continuation at 45 seconds but I thought it was "home cooking". I also remember thinking at the time that maybe they (the refs) would notice and correct it and add a couple of seconds back, but nothing was ever said or done about it.

windboy226
06-15-2006, 06:39 PM

True true.

Mavs_man_41
06-15-2006, 06:46 PM

The reason we lost was the meltdown starting with 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter.