PDA

View Full Version : Statin Prescriptions???

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Anyone here on cholestoral lowering drugs? Have you dug into the controversy over these drugs? They are crippling and maiming good people all for the good of the drug companies. Side effects of these drugs include muscle damage and memory loss. Go to Google and enter..."lipitor controversy". How do I know this? I was on Lipitor for two weeks until I decided to do some research. As of yesterday, I no longer take this medicine. Be careful as all cardiologists are poised to dispense this medicine even to those with no cardiac symptoms. This will end up one day much like the Enron issue. Until then, many people who trust their doctors, will suffer the consequences. "Pfizer" be damned!

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
The side effects of statin drugs are known... in a lot of cases the risk is far outweighed by the benefits.

The marketing wings of these pharma companies though want doctors to dispense statins like they are aspirin or something.

Be wary Big Pharma. Bayer already got whacked over this.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Go to Google and look up "high cholesterol" and find out the side effects of that.

xrayzebra
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Or go to google and try aspirin side effects. All drugs have some
side effects, some very serious, some not so serious. Lawyers
are like vultures waiting until someone has one and then it's off
to court. In some cases they are the cause some very good drugs
have been removed from the market. You are smart to check your
drugs, but discuss it with your doctor (primary) and cardiologists
before you go off the deep end. They do test you know and any
side effects you might have discuss with them. Don't be stupid.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, you should have been advised about potential side effects and how to monitor for them at the time the drug was prescribed. If you weren't, then the doc dropped the ball.

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 11:27 AM
SO because you can google something, you are going to take that as gospel? The best way to go about it is to discuss it with your doctor and a pharmacist. You have to weigh the risks vs. benefits of every therapy.

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 11:53 AM
SO because you can google something, you are going to take that as gospel? The best way to go about it is to discuss it with your doctor and a pharmacist. You have to weigh the risks vs. benefits of every therapy.
No...I don't take Google as gospel! I have some relatives who are nurses and very aware of the dangers in these drugs. That is what put me on the trail. When I asked my doctor about the controversy surrounding Lipitor, he said he wasn't aware of any. This would likely be the response of a stockholder. Again, before you go on these drugs, do some research. I can also tell you that after obstaining for a day, I already feel better. Those that trust doctors blindly without research are doomed for early death! Are you on these drugs and are you a stockholder?

CosmicCowboy
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
You wouldn't believe the perks some doctors get from drug reps. I have been on several guided fishing trips to the coast with doctor friends where the pharmaceutical reps picked up the whole tab including hotel and meals...I saw one rep drop probably $15,000 in one weekend. Doctors are people too and shit like that can subconsciously make them shade the risks...

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Are you on these drugs and are you a stockholder?

My husband is on those drugs. No I am not a stockholder. My mother is a nurse anesthetist. My sister is an MD. I have a BS in chemistry and put myself through college working as a pharmacy tech in a hospital. We researched the risks vs. benefits for my husband's case and determined they were best for him. Without the statins his cholesterol was over 270 and his triglycerides were 600. Now his cholesterol is around 170 and his triglycerides are around 150. I hope that answers all your questions.

CosmicCowboy
06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
You wouldn't believe the perks some doctors get from drug reps. I have been on several guided fishing trips to the coast with doctor friends where the pharmaceutical reps picked up the whole tab including hotel and meals...I saw one rep drop probably $15,000 in one weekend. They pay for cruises, ski trips, etc. all the time...Doctors are people too and shit like that can subconsciously make them shade the risks...

BTW, I am not saying all doctors do this. I also have doctor friends that won't accept ANY gifts or perks from drug reps to avoid any possibility of potential conflict of interest.

CosmicCowboy
06-15-2006, 12:05 PM
My husband is on those drugs. No I am not a stockholder. My mother is a nurse anesthetist. My sister is an MD. I have a BS in chemistry and put myself through college working as a pharmacy tech in a hospital. We researched the risks vs. benefits for my husband's case and determined they were best for him. Without the statins his cholesterol was over 270 and his triglycerides were 600. Now his cholesterol is around 170 and his triglycerides are around 150. I hope that answers all your questions.

mmmmmm...hot AND smart. I am definitely in love.

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 12:05 PM
BTW, I am not saying all doctors do this. I also have doctor friends that won't accept ANY gifts or perks from drug reps to avoid any possibility of potential conflict of interest.
Hey, I'm glad I'm not a doctor because that would be some tough stuff to turn down. :depressed

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
mmmmmm...hot AND smart. I am definitely in love.
Don't forget OLD. :lol

CosmicCowboy
06-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Don't forget OLD. :lol

:lmao

I prefer to call it "experienced"...:lol

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Thank you 2 Blonde ! Your description sort of describes the problem. Your husband's cholesteral was over 270 and mine was 170. I can see why he was prescribed statins but not me. Does he ever experience leg cramps? How long has he been on them now? What is his age? When you say you researched the risks vs. benefits, did you consider natural products such as red yeast rice? In my opinion, these statins are just flat out dangerous. I might also mention that I had just had a heart cath done and no blockage was found. Just narrowing of the arteries due to smoking for 47 years. I am 66 years old and the cardiologist said I have never had a heart attack and am in very good shape for my age. Needless to say, I don't smoke anymore! Again, thanks for your reply!

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 12:39 PM
My husband is just about to turn 45. He was about 42 when he went on the statins. Yes we tried natural alternatives first but they weren't enough. Also he works out once or twice a day. He's very physically fit. It's just the cholesterol and the fact that he has some problems with kidney function.

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:04 PM
My husband is just about to turn 45. He was about 42 when he went on the statins. Yes we tried natural alternatives first but they weren't enough. Also he works out once or twice a day. He's very physically fit. It's just the cholesterol and the fact that he has some problems with kidney function.
Thanks for the info...I am curious whether or not he had these kidney problems before the statins. That was also one of my problems with them. As far as the cholesteral goes, I realize that a person can't eat oatmeal the rest of their lives, but it really helps. Good luck to you and your husband!

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Hook, you shouldn't have been on statins with 170 cholesterol. It sounds like your doc may be a bit of a crook.

Gatita
06-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Hook, you shouldn't have been on statins with 170 cholesterol. It sounds like your doc may be a bit of a crook.

Usually prescribed to individuals who have a cholesterol >200.

Either way it is an adjunct to other treatments.

When taking Lipitor avoid grapefruit juice like the plague. :)

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Usually prescribed to individuals who have a cholesterol >200.

Either way it is an adjunct to other treatments.

When taking Lipitor avoid grapefruit juice like the plague. :)
Yeah Gatita.....that was another thing that pissed me off! I love grapefruit juice! :lol Waiting for a few days for the lipitor to clear my system so I can resume drinking it. LOL

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I can understand you saying that but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He is a very good cardiologist and after me bucking him on it, he backed down and we agreed that I would discontinue it's use! I am only taking 5mg Altace now. It has dropped my blood pressure to 120/70. Just where I want to be. None of this is to be taken lightly. I have done the homework on all of this in the last few months and my body has been run through the ringer. At least we know that I have a strong heart and don't really have any danger of strokes. I have been checked by a neurologist also. I really posted all of this in case others have been prescribed statins and need to know the facts.

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Do you live in SA or Houston? I don't have much respect for the practice of cardiology in SA.

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I live in San Antonio Stout!

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 05:44 PM
The Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's in Houston is where it's at for cardiology in TX.

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
The Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's in Houston is where it's at for cardiology in TX.
I was in St. Lukes here in San Antonio. They , along with Methodist are best equipped to handle heart problems. My cardiologist was out of town when I had to go to the Hospital for transient ischemic attacks. That was sunday before Memorial day. They did the heart cath on Memorial day and it was done by Dr. Bucay. I would recommend him to anyone. He did a fantastic job.

Gatita
06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
5mg Altace now.

First, grapefruit juice now booze. When will it end? :)

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I was in St. Lukes here in San Antonio. They , along with Methodist are best equipped to handle heart problems. My cardiologist was out of town when I had to go to the Hospital for transient ischemic attacks. That was sunday before Memorial day. They did the heart cath on Memorial day and it was done by Dr. Bucay. I would recommend him to anyone. He did a fantastic job.
If they're affiliated w/ the Houston branch, then they're up to date.

They knock you out for the cath?

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 05:57 PM
If they're affiliated w/ the Houston branch, then they're up to date.

They knock you out for the cath?
No.............they just give you enough to make you groggy! You have to remain awake so you can respond to them when they ask you to take a deep breath and hold it. It's funny....you can't feel the cath because the arteries don't have nerve endings but you know it's there. It kinda puts a strain on the whole system. The hardest part is laying perfectly still for 4 hours after the procedure. Thats so the blood can coagulate.

Extra Stout
06-15-2006, 06:01 PM
No.............they just give you enough to make you groggy! You have to remain awake so you can respond to them when they ask you to take a deep breath and hold it. It's funny....you can't feel the cath because the arteries don't have nerve endings but you know it's there. It kinda puts a strain on the whole system. The hardest part is laying perfectly still for 4 hours after the procedure. Thats so the blood can coagulate.
I have some knowledge of caths.

2Blonde
06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the info...I am curious whether or not he had these kidney problems before the statins. That was also one of my problems with them. As far as the cholesteral goes, I realize that a person can't eat oatmeal the rest of their lives, but it really helps. Good luck to you and your husband!
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I was out this afternoon. No his kidney problems are not related to the statins. He has small kidneys so we have to check his serum creatinine regularly along with his kidney function because of the problems that can come with statins. One time they tried to take him off the statins for three weeks because of a problem with his kidney function but his cholesterol and triglycerides went up dramatically in that short amount of time. So they changed which meds he was on but put him back on them and monitor him about every six weeks. He just has to make sure he drinks lots of water to keep his kidneys working well especially since he likes to take in a lot of protein because he works out so much.

Hook Dem
06-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I was out this afternoon. No his kidney problems are not related to the statins. He has small kidneys so we have to check his serum creatinine regularly along with his kidney function because of the problems that can come with statins. One time they tried to take him off the statins for three weeks because of a problem with his kidney function but his cholesterol and triglycerides went up dramatically in that short amount of time. So they changed which meds he was on but put him back on them and monitor him about every six weeks. He just has to make sure he drinks lots of water to keep his kidneys working well especially since he likes to take in a lot of protein because he works out so much.
Thanks 2Blonde. Tell your husband I wish him all the luck in the world. It's not easy having problems like that and keep on going. Sounds like you guys have explored all the avenues and it just goes to show that everyone's circumstances are different!