PDA

View Full Version : manu should come off the bench

ducks
06-15-2006, 04:52 PM
why start him?
bowen needs to start because of his d.
manu is not given the ball in the first 6 minutes of the game. Parker shots more and give it to duncan in the first quarter.
this is 6 minutes he does not need to play and he can be more effective later in the game
need to save manu for the 4 quarter

it really should not matter who starts but who finishes.
it is proven that manu should not play much more then 30 minutes a game during the 82 games. the season is to long for him to play more minutes then that. He is capabily doing more once in a blue moon but not every game.
also he has thelast 2 years came of teh bench so let another player get used to starting during the regualar season

I am not trying to downplay his role on the team. He is vital for the spurs success but pop goes to him in 4 he needs his energy then!
now I am waiting for the manu church to bash my post

:angel

SsKSpurs21
06-15-2006, 05:10 PM
lol Ducks I was coming in here with the notion of thread bashing, but i must admit that you make some pretty valid points.

i think most importantly manu would feel like he is being downgraded, or punished etc. IF he understands what is being asked, his self esteem doesnt drop, and his ego allows it, then i agree it would be for the betterment of the team. Having manu coming off the bench and dominating the other teams second string would give the spurs a burst of energy, and make it easier for him to score.

if he is willing, i say its not a bad idea.

koopa
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
that is what i like about manu, he has no ego from what i can tell. he understands that this is a team game and is probably willing to do whatever it takes to win. i like this idea, just as long as the starter isn't brent barry. he gets the same amount of points coming off the bench, and like you said that extra rest would be great for manu.

SsKSpurs21
06-15-2006, 05:26 PM
yup, if manu is up for it then by all means it would be a great plan...if he has the slightest doubt or he is not feeling the idea then drop it, case closed.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Uh, no.

Maybe at times...but not always.

NorCal510
06-15-2006, 05:28 PM
we should have TP play the 1st quarter for 4 quarters

Please_dont_ban_me
06-15-2006, 05:30 PM

Lmao.

Someone needs to arrange that with the scores table. Slip them a c-note and ask him to please forget to change the quarters sign to 2,3 & 4.

beirmeistr
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Quote: "Manu is not given the ball in the first six minutes of the game."
Perhaps a more practical approach is for Parker to quit ignoring Manu the first six minutes of the game.

ace3g
06-15-2006, 05:59 PM
or how about Parker actually showing up for the 4th quarter

mavsfan1000
06-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Manu only comes off the bench if San Antonio has a better defensive player available. Barry is not that so I think you have to go with your best defensive lineup to start the game.

ducks
06-15-2006, 06:20 PM
pop wants tp to score first to open things up for duncan and manu later
that is why manu does not get the ball alot the first 6 minutes of the game

beirmeistr
06-15-2006, 06:21 PM
That logic is a little warped, Ducks. It is just as warped as stating that since Parker disappears in the fourth quarter, why not use him for 3 quarters and bench him in the fourth? Doesn't sound good, does it?
I say use Ginobili since the beginning of the game for as long as he is willing to play. He will not run out of energy because he is insured with A F L A C !! Get it?

ducks
06-15-2006, 06:21 PM

if he did then the other team would stand around and watch him all game and the other team would triple team him

ducks
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
That logic is a little warped, Ducks. It is just as warped as stating that since Parker disappears in the fourth quarter, why not use him for 3 quarters and bench him in the fourth? Doesn't sound good, does it?
I say use Ginobili since the beginning of the game for as long as he is willing to play. He will not run out of energy because he is insured with A F L A C !! Get it?
tony understands his role
in the 4 to give it to manu and tp
and even let manu create some in the last minutes of the game

benching tp for 4 is stupid with beno as the backup

tp also stis more minutes in the 4 then others because he is not the primary focus in the quarter

gameFACE
06-15-2006, 06:25 PM
It's been done before. But I would wait and see how Manu plays this next season as a starter. If he continues to be injured because of his style of play then, yeah, come off the bench.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Manu only comes off the bench if San Antonio has a better defensive player available. Barry is not that so I think you have to go with your best defensive lineup to start the game.

Barry?

I think we had this guy named Finley in mind. You should be familiar with him. :elephant

SequSpur
06-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Manu in the 4th = Fishing Trip.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm sure they'll look into limiting Manu's minutes even more this upcoming season, but I don't know if that would be coming off the bench. I like Finley coming off the bench and Manu starting (and more importantly finishing).

I just want Manu as healthy as possible because he's a stud.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Manu in the 4th = Fishing Trip.
Dude that shit is old.

How old are you, seriously?

Manu dominates 4th quarters.

Don't believe me? Re-watch the NBA finals fucker

Pistons < Spurs
06-15-2006, 08:55 PM
why start him?
bowen needs to start because of his d.
manu is not given the ball in the first 6 minutes of the game. Parker shots more and give it to duncan in the first quarter.
this is 6 minutes he does not need to play and he can be more effective later in the game
need to save manu for the 4 quarter

it really should not matter who starts but who finishes.
it is proven that manu should not play much more then 30 minutes a game during the 82 games. the season is to long for him to play more minutes then that. He is capabily doing more once in a blue moon but not every game.
also he has thelast 2 years came of teh bench so let another player get used to starting during the regualar season

I am not trying to downplay his role on the team. He is vital for the spurs success but pop goes to him in 4 he needs his energy then!
now I am waiting for the manu church to bash my post

:angel

I agree.

My fear is that all of these little bruises are going to seriously hurt the legnth of his career. His style of play leads to tons of minor injuries.

This year I kept reading that POP wanted TP to shoot more and more. Especially out of the gate to start games.

While you have the luxury of a Finley available to you, I say use him to prolong Manu's health, energy and effectiveness.

Of course the biggest question is how Manu will take that. I believe POP brought him off the bench quite a bit 2 years ago right? He didn't seem too bothered by it....but I do remember the media trying to make alot of noise about it.

I wouldn't want to shake his confidence or screw with his head with this move. Manu seems to let things get to him mentaly. In this years playoffs he seemed menatly crushed after a couple of bad plays at end of games. To what extent do things gnaw at him internally? This is really my biggest concern about this playing out.

But long term for the Spurs and for Manu, I think it's a very good idea.

Nikos
06-15-2006, 09:24 PM
I worry about Manu's health, but it also sucks that he is getting older. He will be 29 this season. Would have been nice if he was a rookie at 23 instead of 25.

It is possible that Manu has two more years at 27-29mpg in the regular season. But even with that estimate I am concerned.

As far as benching? Well if his body can't hold up I guess you could shave off 2-3 mpg or so. But if he is reasonably healthy then there is no need to bench him. Look at his +/- in the playoffs and regular seasons the last two years. Insane. He flat out makes the team better.

beirmeistr
06-15-2006, 09:37 PM
There are 52 million reasons why Manu should be a starter. Holt does not pay that kind of bread for someone to sit on the bench.

ducks
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
my agrument is not that he makes the team better
he just does not get used on the o the first 6 minutes most games unless he is wide open
tp and duncan have the green light
I am not against him not taking any fewer shots in the game though

ducks
06-15-2006, 09:40 PM
There are 52 million reasons why Manu should be a starter. Holt does not pay that kind of bread for someone to sit on the bench.
dude steve smith was paid 11 million a year
the only good thing he ever did was the game before dallas he told tp to bend his knees when he shot
he did that in pregame warmups and burned the mavs that game :elephant :elephant :elephant

ps mike finley is make 3 times as much as him if you count cuban and he is even makign mroe then duncan

beirmeistr
06-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Steve Smith is no Manu.

ducks
06-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Steve Smith is no Manu.

no kidding you were just pointing out how much he made

money should not make you a starter you should earn it to a certain extent
manu earns it but also you have to protect him because the playoffs is what it is about

beirmeistr
06-15-2006, 09:49 PM
My point about the 52 million was very simple---I think the Spurs management decided to sign him for that large sum of money because they were thinking of him as a starter. Just like they thought that Rasho was going to be a starter for his 42 million.

ChumpDumper
06-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, we probably thought we could play Manu more than 30 mpg when we gave him the $52 million, too.

Nikos
06-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Well, we probably thought we could play Manu more than 30 mpg when we gave him the $52 million, too.

Well to be fair Duncan and Parker have averaged about 33-34mpg each the past few years. Pretty low for a guy like Duncan even despite not being healthy. It would be a problem if they got 39mpg and Manu was lagging at 26-27mpg.

ChumpDumper
06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
I might agree if we could start Beno or Horry. We have crazy depth at the 2. Finley's presence just really seems to make monitoring Manu's minutes a priority.

aaronstampler
06-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Quote: "Manu is not given the ball in the first six minutes of the game."
Perhaps a more practical approach is for Parker to quit ignoring Manu the first six minutes of the game.

Yes. I keep saying this. I hate having designated Tony portions of the game and Tim portions of the game and Manu portions of the game. It makes us too predictable. It'd be nice if all three of them could learn to play with each other and all be to help get each other going thruought the game.

I think it's VERY bad commentary on Tony that Manu gets fed the ball more when the backup points are in the game.

The problem is Tony isn't mature enough to help win a game in any other way than score. If he doesn't go off in the first quarter, he pouts and he's useless the rest of the game. He's not like Tim who can help win a game when his shot is off by rebounding and defense and drawing double teams. And he's not like Manu who even when he's not scoring, he can draw charges and get steals.

I'll be impressed if Tony could ever have a game where he's like 3 for 13 on the floor, but 9 assists and 3 steals. Sadly, I don't know if emotionally he's capable of that.

ChumpDumper
06-15-2006, 11:16 PM
That was a big steaming load.

Tony takes so many shots because Pop tells him to.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 11:23 PM
I'll be impressed if Tony could ever have a game where he's like 3 for 13 on the floor, but 9 assists and 3 steals. Sadly, I don't know if emotionally he's capable of that.

Tony didn't have many 3-for-13 nights this season. But I grabbed a few of his off shooting nights and here's his assist numbers. Seems like he does exactly what you say he is "emotionally" incapable of.

6-14 Mavs 9 assists
6-15 Rockets 8 assists
4-11 Lakers 6 assists
5-12 Heat 11 assists
9-21 Bucks 11 assists
7-17 Pistons 4 assists
3-9 Nuggets 6 assists
4-11 Nuggets 7 assists

aaronstampler
06-15-2006, 11:44 PM
whatever Kori. This stupid shit Pop does where it's Tony's show for 3 quarters and then if the game's tight or they're losing they go to Manu in the 4th is really getting old and it's unfair to both players.

It's messed up for Manu if he takes like five or six shots the whole game and then he has to be counted on as a savior in the 4th quarter when he might not have his rhythm.

And it's messed up for Tony too. How does it feel when Pop tells him that he doesn't trust him enough to carry the team home?

I'm telling you, if it hasn't already, it's going to lead to a rift between those two, and it's pretty much Pop's doing. I'm just saying the offense would be better if you never knew who was gonna get the ball among the big three at any given time.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Then blame Pop for the system.

But to think Tony is emotionally incapable or pouty is stupid.

Pop uses Tony to jumpstart the offense in the 1st. He runs the ball through Manu in the 4th. I agree that it's predicability is annoying. But there's no rift. Both Tony and Manu are more mature than that.

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2006, 06:50 AM
I think if the Spurs keep using TP to score a lot of points in the beginning of game, then they might as well bring Manu off the bench in the first, but have him start in the 3rd quarter. Once Manu comes in, TP eventually leaves, and the offense continues to do well.

smeagol
06-16-2006, 07:23 AM
ducks should come off the bench for Tony and Sequ for Manu

1Parker1
06-16-2006, 07:32 AM
:lol Manu would definitely win 6th Man of the Year.