PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Sprains

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I was playing basketball all afternoon today and I came down hard after a rebound, landed on some dude's foot, and sprained my ankle. I'm pretty sure it bent all the way down, fuckin hurt like a mother.

The reason I made this thread is to ask how long do ankle sprains generally take to heal???

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Too long, from my experiences

MannyIsGod
06-15-2006, 06:38 PM
It depends. If you can walk on it at all - even with big ass limp - I'd say you'll be fine within a week at most.

Who hasn't landed on a foot while playing ball? That and jammed fingers are the 2 things that happen to everyone all the time.

katyon6th
06-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Goddamn, I'm cringing at the thought of any injury below the knee.

Ugh!

Feel better soon.

NorCal510
06-15-2006, 06:46 PM
go buy a McDavid ankle supporter at sports authority

ORION
06-15-2006, 06:47 PM
if you don't sprain your ankle while playing basketball then your not playing right

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I've sprained my ankle before but that was a long time ago.

Who hasn't landed on a foot while playing ball? That and jammed fingers are the 2 things that happen to everyone all the time.
I broke 2 fingers in football last season. The one finger is fucked, it's gonna keep getting fucked up every season.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 06:52 PM
My football coaches are dickheads, they have a hard time believing any fuckin excuse involving injuries. To one of my coaches, if you break a leg, you're a pussy.

They're gonna bitch about me playing basketball too.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I played basketball for a couple of weeks with a broken finger without knowing it. I thought it was just jammed badly. Come to find out it was broken.

Sports injuries are fun.

T Park
06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
add ice, elevate, and keep the swelling down.

geta nice padded ankle brace

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 07:05 PM
add ice, elevate, and keep the swelling down.

geta nice padded ankle brace
Did all of that.

This shit gets old fast though, too fuckin boring.

Gatita
06-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I was playing basketball all afternoon today and I came down hard after a rebound, landed on some dude's foot, and sprained my ankle. I'm pretty sure it bent all the way down, fuckin hurt like a mother.

The reason I made this thread is to ask how long do ankle sprains generally take to heal???

It all depends on the severity.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/images/cons1_351_152.gif

ZStomp
06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I sprained my right anke two weeks ago today....high ankle sprain.

I can walk and all..even run..but if I wanted to play bball...i couldn't.

I bet you won't play ball for a few weeks...

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Since I play receiver/cornerback in football, it's gonna make my recovery take longer. All I do on a football field is really hard cuts and sprints, if I come back to early I will fuck it up.

ZStomp
06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Since I play receiver/cornerback in football, it's gonna make my recover take longer. All I do on a football field is really hard cuts and sprints, if I come back to early I will fuck it up.

Exactly.

Stay off it man.

It may feel good walking and even running..but once you make that CUT...ouch!

Das Texan
06-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a bad thumb, not sure how.

Was playing basketball last month and first possession ball deflected off my good thumb, so needless to say I had zero good thumbs to play with the rest of the way.

Ankle sprains are joyous. Done that some 33 million times. If you can walk on it, you will be fine within a short period of time. Its always fun when you try to play with the ankle sprain, tighten your shoes and then when you finally take em off it blows up. Good stuff.

NorCal510
06-15-2006, 08:02 PM
ill burn alvarez

ShoogarBear
06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
You're 15. It'll take a lot less time for you than the rest of us.

Last time I sprianed an ankle, it was about 6-8 weeks before it was anywhere near 100%. (Of course, I was playing on it, which is dumb.)

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm 16.

I'm actually closer to 17 than 16, FYI.

ShoogarBear
06-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Sorry. :lol

My point is still the same. You're young, dude. You hurt it today. The odds are you won't feel a thing in a week or so.

Wiat until the first time you hurt yourself when you're about 35. Then you'll know what I'm talking about.

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
ill burn alvarez
You'll burn me?

ALVAREZ6
06-15-2006, 08:20 PM
lol I know the point is still the same, I just wanted to clear that up with everyone.

Marklar MM
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
In my experience, you tend to forget the pain when you start playing. It is the rests that get you.

spurschick
06-15-2006, 10:09 PM
If it's a possibility for you, acupuncture really speeds healing time.

TDMVPDPOY
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
under a week

timvp
06-16-2006, 12:02 AM
if ou kp ou sho on i'v found ha ou a good o go h nx da.

xcoriate
06-16-2006, 05:31 AM
^ are you trying to make a point?

I don't get it! Wheres the joke!

:lol

Does Kori find it cute :p

Ankle sprains are something I do frequently, if you play the next game chances are you'll roll it again, and again until you take a few weeks off. Generally with small sprains you can keep playing, I've only sprained it once bad enough that I actually had to stop playing.

My advice (that you won't get from a doctor): you'll likely be good enough in a couple of days (unless its hella bad) and you can play again, brace it, strap it and hope you don't reinjure.

If you get a chance, end of season etc. take a few weeks off from full contact.

xcoriate
06-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Never mind I found the joke!!!

mcornelio
06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
dude if you could only take one advice from this thread dont walk on it if it hurts dont walk on it at all!! i say this from first hand experience, i played this faggot assed kid at the court last year who would shove his foot under your feet everytime you jumped, he caught me and i sprained my shit... i just kept playing on it and went to work, all the regular shit... it just hurt like shit... and now it still hurts. its been a year and the doctors have done xrays and everything and they cant see any fractures or anything... supposibly theres nothing wrong with it.. but it hurts like hell, i cant even get tru the day without taking some ibuprofen

tlongII
06-16-2006, 09:42 AM
It shouldn't take long for you to recover. You can play now as long as your tolerance for pain is high enough. In fact, if you don't play now you are a PUSSY! :madrun

gay abc
06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
if you can find it... use "volcanico ointment" and wrap your ankle with hot towels

this is an old old mexican remedy that works - somehow speeds up the healing process

it may be hard to find though - i know you can find at any local HEB store here in san antonio

:spin

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
It shouldn't take long for you to recover. You can play now as long as your tolerance for pain is high enough. In fact, if you don't play now you are a PUSSY! :madrun

:lol

He's probably already hearing this from his boys.

Jules
06-16-2006, 03:26 PM

Damn, they take a LONG time to heal! The swelling will last months.

I rolled my ankle grabbing a board in April 2005 (same day Rasho rolled his in L.A. against the Clippers). I incurred a 3rd degree sprain, which requires surgery. I continue to postpone the surgery because of the 12-week recovery (they go in, brake the ankle and pin back together). There will be months of physical therapy as well. Rasho's was not as severe, but he continues to struggle with his ankle too.

CosmicCowboy
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
just shoot it with cortisone/xylocane and go play ball.

tlongII
06-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Get some DMSO and put it on the ankle.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Rub some spit on it.

cherylsteele
06-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I have a bad thumb, not sure how.
Stop hitch-hiking so much!! :D

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 04:01 PM
*waiting for the sore wrist remarks . . . *

SpursWoman
06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Get some DMSO and put it on the ankle.

Damn, that's weird that you said that. User was telling me about that stuff and that he had ordered some.

tlongII
06-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Damn, that's weird that you said that. User was telling me about that stuff and that he had ordered some.

I think it's good stuff and have used it in the past. It's best to apply quickly after you sprain something and after you make sure the surface of your skin is clean. It does a great job of reducing swelling. Shoog would have to tell you if there are any medical risks involved.

spurschick
06-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Spray Windex on it... OPAH!!!!

SpursWoman
06-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Spray Windex on it... OPAH!!!!

:tu :lmao :lmao

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Tussin. Tussin fix everything. When the bottle empty, put some water in it, shake it up . . . more Tussin!

JoeChalupa
06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
I have bad ankles. I use http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/84720/200.jpg for a speedy recovery. That's why I still play basketball in High Tops.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I think it's good stuff and have used it in the past. It's best to apply quickly after you sprain something and after you make sure the surface of your skin is clean. It does a great job of reducing swelling. Shoog would have to tell you if there are any medical risks involved.

DMSO has no serious risks that I'm aware of (side-effects include garlicy breath and intestinal disturbances). However, whether it actually does anything or not is a source of much controversy.

There is no clinical evidence that it helps with chronic rheumatic diseases or arthritis, although it gets pushed as such. I'm not sure what the evidence is for it providing pain relif from soft tissue injuries. Because of the lack of hard proof it's considered "alternative" medicine.

tlongII
06-16-2006, 05:47 PM
DMSO has no serious risks that I'm aware of (side-effects include garlicy breath and intestinal disturbances). However, whether it actually does anything or not is a source of much controversy.

There is no clinical evidence that it helps with chronic rheumatic diseases or arthritis, although it gets pushed as such. I'm not sure what the evidence is for it providing pain relif from soft tissue injuries. Because of the lack of hard proof it's considered "alternative" medicine.

My understanding is that it improves the blood flow of the area where it is applied. I have assumed that this is why the swelling after applying it is not as severe as if it is not applied. Obviously I could be wrong, but I've always felt that my recovery time after a sprain was reduced when I used DMSO. I hated that garlicy taste I would get in my mouth though...

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, people have thrown aroun dlots of theories. I just don't know if anyone's ever done a controlled study that shows that it works better than placebo or any other ointment. That's doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that no one has demonstrated by currently accepted standards.

tlongII
06-16-2006, 06:22 PM
http://www.dmso.org/articles/information/jacob.htm

Current Status of DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE (DMSO)
Stanley W. Jacob, M.D
Gerlinger Professor • Department of Surgery • Oregon Health Sciences University • 3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Road • Mail Code L225 • Portland, Oregon 97201 • (503) 494-8474 • FAX (503) 494-5352
March 2002

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide), as a therapeutic principle, was first introduced to the scientific community in 1963 by a research team headed by Stanley W. Jacob, MD, at the University of Oregon Medical School.

While DMSO has been called "the most controversial therapeutic advance of modern times," the controversy seems to be bureaucratic and economic rather than scientific. Over the past forty years, more than 10,000 articles on the biologic implications of DMSO have appeared in the scientific literature and 30,000 articles on the chemistry of DMSO have also been published. The results of these studies strongly support the view that DMSO is a truly significant new therapeutic principle.

When organ systems are injured or deteriorate, the damaged tissue produces agents we call "free radicals." These further harm cells and prevent or slow healing. DMSO is a potent scavenger of these radicals, maintaining the normal integrity of cells and tissues. Another important component of DMSO activity is its synergism with other therapeutic agents. For example, Charles Dake, D.V.M. (Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences, 1967, Vol. 141) found that cats with overwhelming viral infection treated with either DMSO alone or conventional therapy for viral infections all died. When DMSO was combined with standard antiviral treatment, the figures were reversed with the majority of the cats surviving.

At this time, DMSO is a respected, approved pharmaceutical agent in more than 125 countries. In 1970, the FDA approved DMSO for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders in dogs and horses. Many veterinarians consider DMSO to be the most valuable therapeutic substance in their armamentarium. Additionally in 1978, it was approved by the FDA in humans for the therapy of Interstitial Cystitis (a painful disabling urinary bladder inflammation). In many ways, DMSO represents the "aspirin" of our era. If aspirin had been introduced in 1963 with its multiple properties, it might very well have been similarly restricted in the scope of its application.

DMSO became prescriptive for humans in the USSR in 1971. Since that time, it has been widely used in the USSR alone and in combinations. Currently DMSO is employed in the therapy of various musculo-skeletal problems in Russia. Dr. Balabanova of the Moscow Institute of Rheumatology estimates that about 50 percent of the Russian arthritic population receives DMSO as a part of their therapy. There are more than one hundred articles in the world's literature relating to DMSO and arthritis. These include both clinical results and mechanism of action. Among the well-documented pharmacologic properties of DMSO include analgesia, anti-inflammation, softening of scar tissue, hydroxyl radical scavenging, vasodilation, and stimulation of healing.

An excellent controlled study was completed by the Japanese Rheumatism Association showing benefit in rheumatoid arthritis (Matsomoto - Annals of NY Academy of Sciences 1967, Vol. 141, Aritcle 1, 560-569). Twenty university centers were involved.

One of the most important questions about any medicinal therapy is safety. Except for nuisance side effects such as odor, the only well-documented, potentially serious side effect is the occasional patient who is allergic. A careful review of the published literature on DMSO show that there is not a single death which can definitely be attributed to this agent.

Conservatively, hundreds of millions of patients have been safely treated with DMSO worldwide. DMSO is a substance of extraordinary low toxicity.

In 1965, when the FDA halted evaluation of DMSO in the United States, they had data in their files on more than 100,000 patients submitted by approximately 1,500 physicians in our country showing safety and effectiveness. The pharmaceutical companies submitting the aforementioned data were Merck, Syntex, and Squibb. This occurred in 1965.

When we discuss DMSO, we are talking about an agent which not only relieves pain, but has multiple well-documented effects in a variety of illnesses. DMSO possesses lifesaving potential in stroke and head injuries (JC de la Torre - Annals of NY Academy of Sciences 1975, vol 243). In multiple lower animal studies, DMSO prevents indefinite paralysis following severe spinalcord contusions. Since 1965, about 300,000 people in this country have sustain spinal cord injuries. Many remain paralyzed. The early effective use of DMSO might have prevented theses tragedies. More recently, Karaca (European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 1991, vol 40:113-114) & Kulai (Neurchirurgia 1990, Vol 33: 177-180) report on the value of intravenouse DMSo in the management of brain swelling and intracranial pressure in patients with the severe closed head injury. Currently, we are studying DMSO and fructose diphosphate in rodents for the therapy of Alzheimers' Disease.

Today, DMSO is an effective treatment for many illnesses for which we have no other therapy. It is safer, less expensive, and at least as effective for a variety of problems for which we are presently using other, less effective, and more costly treatments. In 1972 the National Academy of Sciences evaluated the scientific data on DMSO and concluded it was a least as effective as currently approved treatments for three musculoskeletal inflammatory problems in man.

We have employed a mixture of DMSO and DMSO2 for the therapy of fibromyalgia. Patients are treated with intravenous, oral, and topical routes. It requires approximately two months before any benefit occurs. Seventy percent of our patients with fibromyalgia improve.

Published articles on DMSO have show benefit in the following entities:

Interstitial Cystitis
Scleroderma
Raynaud's Phenomenon
Lupus
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Degenerative Arthritis
Ulcerative Colitis
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
Diabetic Ulcerations
Burns
Scar Tissue
Adjunct in Plastic Surgery

2centsworth
06-16-2006, 06:43 PM
If it's your first ankle sprain probably 2 weeks. I've done it so many times that I can recover in 2 days.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I in no way will claim to be an expert on this, but I can point out obvious problems with that website you posted, tlong.

First, dmso.org is obviously an advocacy site. Not that they're necessarily wrong, but you have to start with the presumption that they work with a bias. The fact that they go way overboard in claiming that DMSO works for just about everything makes it hard for me to believe them as a reference source. There are lots of well-done studies out there that were unable to show it doesn't have an effect, which conveniently they ignore. Believe me, if there was really that much overwhelming hard evidence, physicians would use it.

Second, the author of that information is a guy who, in the very first sentence, is tooting his own horn about how he was the father of DMSO 40 years ago. So clearly he has a vested interest (professional and perhaps financially) in making it sound like it's a wonder drug. He apparently has a good deal of stature at a very well respected medical facility, so he's not a quack, but that doens't mean he's right. Most importantly, he's a surgeon, and I'd be surprised if he had much experience with all of the non-surgical illnesses he claims DMSO works with.

That list of diseases he gives at the end is laughable. Some of those are some of the most complex and difficult autoimmune diseases to treat and people have tried tons of things looking for answers. If DMSO clearly worked, it would be used.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Good luck trying to walk tommorrow morning. :D

Leetonidas
06-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I sprained it hardcore in September. I still can't really move it much. It was so purple and gross...it's still bigger than my left ankle. It hurts very easily and I couldn't walk on it for a month...I'm not sure what class that was. It sucked badly though. It still does.

Billy Cobham
06-17-2006, 02:14 PM
I in no way will claim to be an expert on this, but I can point out obvious problems with that website you posted, tlong.

First, dmso.org is obviously an advocacy site. Not that they're necessarily wrong, but you have to start with the presumption that they work with a bias. The fact that they go way overboard in claiming that DMSO works for just about everything makes it hard for me to believe them as a reference source. There are lots of well-done studies out there that were unable to show it doesn't have an effect, which conveniently they ignore. Believe me, if there was really that much overwhelming hard evidence, physicians would use it.

Second, the author of that information is a guy who, in the very first sentence, is tooting his own horn about how he was the father of DMSO 40 years ago. So clearly he has a vested interest (professional and perhaps financially) in making it sound like it's a wonder drug. He apparently has a good deal of stature at a very well respected medical facility, so he's not a quack, but that doens't mean he's right. Most importantly, he's a surgeon, and I'd be surprised if he had much experience with all of the non-surgical illnesses he claims DMSO works with.

That list of diseases he gives at the end is laughable. Some of those are some of the most complex and difficult autoimmune diseases to treat and people have tried tons of things looking for answers. If DMSO clearly worked, it would be used.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but the possibility exists that DMSO does work and the reason it is not used is because it is so cheap. Drug companies would lose a lot of profits if this substance were allowed to be used in the mainstream American medical community.

SpursWoman
06-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Ours should be here soon ... I'm guessing I'm going to have to go out and hurt myself to try it out. :lol

polandprzem
06-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Be a man play on it!!!!!!!

Well you are not a man you are still a kid Alvarez, so lie down, heal and do notr play as long as you can...

ShoogarBear
06-17-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but the possibility exists that DMSO does work and the reason it is not used is because it is so cheap. Drug companies would lose a lot of profits if this substance were allowed to be used in the mainstream American medical community.
Yes, it's true that it's hard to get things studied if there's not going to be a profit in it for Big Pharma.

That would explain why for sports injuries and the like, where there are lots of other options, there hasn't been a good study funded.

But for some of the serious rheumatological diseases listed, where there are no other options and lots of money for study available from places like the NIH, if there was anything worth pursuing regarding DMSO I think they would be looking into it.

Kevin Trudeau
06-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's true that it's hard to get things studied if there's not going to be a profit in it for Big Pharma.

That would explain why for sports injuries and the like, where there are lots of other options, there hasn't been a good study funded.

But for some of the serious rheumatological diseases listed, where there are no other options and lots of money for study available from places like the NIH, if there was anything worth pursuing regarding DMSO I think they would be looking into it.

False. The government and big Pharma want you sick, Period.

I'm blowing the whistle on this corruption.

ShoogarBear
07-06-2006, 04:08 PM
So, Alvie, how's the ankle?

E20
07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Thank GOD! I have Cankles, no matter how hard I land or in what postion, my cankles never get hurt.

Reginald Red Forman
07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Ohh an ankle sprain, you sure you're going to live there daisy?
If I were you I would go to the hospital with a booboo like that.