PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 is an idiot...

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Andrei makes case

Forward says he just wants what he's worth
By Tim Buckley
Deseret Morning News

His price tag is set, and Andrei Kirilenko — seeking a max-money contract extension from the Jazz — doesn't seem willing to mark himself down.
"I want to get the money which I'm worth," said Kirilenko, whose agent, Marc Fleisher, is engaged in sputtering contract-extension negotiations with the Jazz. "That's it."
Actually, that's just the beginning.
On Wednesday, Fleisher said, "We're far apart on what we (the Jazz and Kirilenko's camp) both see his value as being." A deadline of Oct. 31 to either agree to terms or risk having the Jazz's 23-year-old All-Star forward become a restricted free agent next summer is fast approaching. So Thursday, Kirilenko himself made a case for why he will not back down from his demand for a six-year, $86 million deal.
"I think every NBA player," he said, "is like product, in the NBA's market.
"You know, if you go into the store and want to buy milk, it costs three bucks. And (if) you say, 'Well, no, I don't think it costs three bucks, it costs two bucks,' . . . it's still three bucks."
Kirilenko thinks he's worth 86 million bucks — not 80, not 76, not a penny less than big man Paul Gasol recently managed to wrestle from the Memphis Grizzlies.
And if he does not get it, well, Kirilenko doesn't know what he'll do.
"This is my job — to play basketball," he said. "I have like 10, or 13, years more (to) my career. I can't do anything except basketball.
"So, you know, if I don't get money which I'm worth, maybe I should change my job," Kirilenko added. "Maybe I should go to work like a journalist, and I will cost like, I don't know, a thousand bucks a month."
The Jazz and Kirilenko are believed to be about $10 million apart.
Fleisher said he is "not optimistic" the gap will be bridged, especially since he is not willing to discount his client.
The Jazz feel they deserve some sort of significant monetary break for agreeing to give Kirilenko his big-bucks deal now — but you won't hear that from Kevin O'Connor, the club's senior vice president for basketball operations.
"Our negotiations will stay in-house," O'Connor said Thursday. "Look," he added, "Andrei's agent, what he's trying to do is get Andrei a deal. If he wants to talk in the papers and go public, that's great. I've got no comment."
Kirilenko, however, had plenty to say prior to Thursday's training-camp practice.
"I don't think we're talking the right market (value), really," he said.
Chastised by Jazz owner Larry H. Miller for saying he was "a little unhappy" the deal was not done prior to the opening of camp last week, Kirilenko isn't sure what will happen now — and isn't hesitant to say it.
"I don't want to say I'm discouraged, but — that's life," he said. "That's life, and you can't bet what's gonna happen tomorrow or day after tomorrow.
"I want to be taken care of, but I'm always ready for bad," Kirilenko added. "I'm telling you — all my career, all my life, every time I'm thinking good, but I'm ready for bad."
If it were to come to a worst-case scenario — no extension signed — Kirilenko insisted he will not be adversely influenced during his fourth year in Utah.
He did not sound terrifically convincing, however.
"Don't worry about it," said Kirilenko, a married father of one who will make $1.67 million this season. "I'm a basketball player, a professional basketball player.
"This will not be on my mind during the season," he added. "But it forces me to think about my future, for sure. About my family, about my career. It probably (indicates) how important I am for the team."
With the Jazz signing Detroit center Mehmet Okur to a six-year, $50 million deal and Cleveland power forward Carlos Boozer to a six-year, $68 million deal this past offseason, Kirilenko feels he is next in line.
"Maybe some products are too high," he said, "but they've already set up the market. . . . They signed Boozer, they signed Okur in the summer, and right now I'm like walk-on."
Kirilenko suggested he was not looking for public sympathy.
Perhaps understanding, though.
"I don't even want to try to play with public, with people, with the fans," he said. "This is just my opinion."
Just like he has an opinion on most everything, including the price of a gallon of milk.
"Nobody will sell you," he said, "for two bucks."

Useruser666
10-15-2004, 08:58 AM
He would be a valuable reporter since he could reach over the heads of all f the other press. That and he could do "eye level" interviews with the players.

picnroll
10-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Doesn't look like Andrei would have scored too high on the SATs.

Taco
10-15-2004, 09:21 AM
damn Ivan Drago Look-a-Like!!!

Kirilenko to the Jazz: " I must break you "

Solid D
10-15-2004, 09:27 AM
"So, you know, if I don't get money which I'm worth, maybe I should change my job," Kirilenko added. "Maybe I should go to work like a journalist, and I will cost like, I don't know, a thousand bucks a month."

Very solid reasoning. Oh, okay. That'll get the journalists off your back.

Sportcamper
10-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Carlos Boozer comes over from Cleveland & SNAKES a ... $68 million...deal

Kirilenko has become a centerpiece for the Jazz and is playing for $1.67 million...

I am pulling for Ivan Drago on this one...YOU MUST BREAK THEM... :lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38296000/jpg/_38296219_rocky150.jpg

Kori Ellis
10-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Kirilenko has become a centerpiece for the Jazz and is playing for $1.67 million...

I understand they are offering him 6years/$70-76M but that he wants the max ($86M).

Is he a max player?

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
I understand they are offering him 6years/$70-76M but that he wants the max ($86M).

Is he a max player?

I don't think so...but we have seen some stupid money thrown around this year...

IMHO if he doesn't take their offer he is an idiot...all signs point towards a lockout next summer and the owners aren't gonna make the same mistake again...and it looks like they are trying to TIGHTEN the lux tax instead of eliminating it...he may get a very unpleasant surprise next summer when he sees the qualifying offers...

Sportcamper
10-15-2004, 12:16 PM
Kirilenko is thumbing his nose @ 70 mil? Well...That’s a horse of a different color...In that case turn him over to the Lakers populace that gathers after sundown...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/795000/images/_798383_fire_300.jpg

maxpower
10-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Is he only 8 mil over the duration of the contract more than Boozer? It seems the Jazz have set the precedent. I don't know Boozer's game well...so I can't say....

spurster
10-15-2004, 12:38 PM
What is the incentive for the Jazz to offer a max contract now? They can wait to do that next summer. AK will be restricted after all. The incentive for the Jazz is to offer a simaller contract and AK avoids the uncertainties of poor play, career-ending injuries, possbily bad contract offers for next summer.

This is similar to the Spurs with TP (though TP is not asking for the max or near-max by most rumors).

ShoogarBear
10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
I say AK is not a max player, but I think right now he's closer to being one than TP. (Pau Gasol is not a max player either. Switch Gasol and Duncan. The Griz immediately become a 65-70 game winner and the Spur struggle to hit 50.)

Question: how many out there would sign TP to a max contract but not AK? And why?

Brodels
10-15-2004, 03:51 PM
AK is a max player IMO. He's possibly the most versitile player in the league. He plays great defense, sees the floor well, rebounds, and can score. He might not know when to shut his mouth, but he's young and he's good.

I think he's a franchise player and that he'll continue to blossom this season. I'd pay him the max given Utah's situation. They aren't finding another franchise player to build around very easily.

Kori Ellis
10-15-2004, 04:02 PM
I think AK is overrated because the Jazz didn't have anyone to defer to for anything and his stats were inflated. If Harpring is healthy and they get some numbers out of anyone else, he'll fall back to earth.

Brodels
10-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Question for everyone:

Would you trade AK47 for Parker based on an exchange of talent alone?

Would you make the trade taking into consideration the SA's current situation?

Useruser666
10-15-2004, 04:18 PM
I think we need Paker's shooting and pg skills more than even a better than average bigman. I don't know who we could get to fill in for Parker at this time. Beno? Too big a risk right now. I'd trade Rose, Bowen, and change for him. But that's a fire sale.

ShoogarBear
10-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Question for everyone:

Would you trade AK47 for Parker based on an exchange of talent alone?

Ignoring the position differences, it's close, but I would. TP can dominate games in stretches like AK never will, but AK's defense and versatility are the deciding factors.

Would you make the trade taking into consideration the SA's current situation?

Not straight up. If it were AK and Arroyo for TP and ABD (anybody but Duncan), I'd have to think about it.

If it were AK+Arroyo for TP+ABD or Manu, I'd do it in a flash.

Spurminator
10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
From what I've seen of him, AK is a borderline max player... and if it took the max to keep him, I'd give it to him. He's the most defensively versatile player in the league next to KG, and he's very good on offense... maybe not a 30-points-per-game scorer if that's what you need, but he'd be one of the best "2nd options" in the league.

boutons
10-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Didn't AK get a 5-5-5-5-5 game last year?

No doubt the Boozer deal has puts stars in AK's eyes.

xcoriate
10-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I think he's probably worth it, if Gasol gets the maxc then so does AK

Nikos
10-15-2004, 11:20 PM
AK is worth it. It would be sad if they had all that money for Okur and Booz, but not Kirilenko.

AK will never be the best offensive player on a championship team, but hes more of a Pippen type in terms of overall effectiveness in a game and being the best section option type of player.

Right now I think hes better than TP. TP is more talented offensively, but hasn't tapped into that potential enough to say that his overall game is better than Kirilenkos.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-16-2004, 12:57 AM
He's not worth the max. He's not even a franchise player in the TD mold.

AK is more of a Robin than a Batman. Great 2nd fiddle, but can't carry a team IMO.

Y'all better pray he doesn't get what he's asking for, because like it or not Tony's agent will not be far behind.

timvp
10-16-2004, 01:20 AM
I've said AK47 is one of the most overrated players in the league and I'm sticking by it. He's good ... but Sloan makes everyone look better than they are. Hell, Matt Harpring is a borderline All-Star under Sloan.

genghisrex
10-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Y'all better pray he doesn't get what he's asking for, because like it or not Tony's agent will not be far behind.
Don't they have the same agent?

ShoogarBear
10-16-2004, 10:36 AM
I think separate questions are being asked here:

1. Is AK worth a max contract because he is in the top tier of NBA players? No, clearly not. He's probably never going to be one of the top 5 or top ten players in the game. But Tony Parker is not in the top tier either, and a lot of folks here are arguing to give him a max contract, which leads us to . . .

2. Is AK worth a max contract based on the other players who are getting them? Here you keep coming back to the Gasol contract. The only thing Gasol does better than AK is score. Otherwise, I would rather have AK any day of the week. It's hard to argue that he deserves less than Gasol, but then does Utah have to overpay just because Memphis did? Based on standards that the Jazz have already set internally, he should get about what Boozer is getting, maybe a little more.

By either critierion, I would argue that AK is more deserving of a max contract than TP.

ducks
10-16-2004, 11:00 AM
gasol is a big he is not

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-16-2004, 02:36 PM
genghis,

It is the same. I meant that if he got the max for AK he'd be along shortly asking for the same for TP from SA.