PDA

View Full Version : No drama this time -- Mavs collapse early

ducks
06-16-2006, 09:10 AM
No drama this time -- Mavs collapse early
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) -- With an arena full of white-clad fans on their feet, one sat glumly in the front row, slumped back with arms crossed over his black shirt.

Mark Cuban wasn't enjoying himself one bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
Midway through the fourth quarter of Game 3 of the NBA finals, his team appeared headed for its first title. Midway through the first quarter of Game 4 on Thursday night, they were headed for nothing but trouble.

With Dirk Nowitzki leading them in the wrong way, the Dallas Mavericks misfired early and often in a 98-74 loss to the Miami Heat on Thursday night. The humiliation was best summed up by their seven-point fourth quarter; that's two fewer than any team scored in any of the 1,384 quarters in NBA finals history.

"We couldn't get much going," said Nowitzki, who scored 16 points, but shot 2-of-14, marking his fewest baskets of the season.

Nowitzki's last field goal came 1:18 into the second quarter. The Mavs already were behind, and they could never recover. Every time they put together a little run, they couldn't sustain it.

There was one possession with five straight misses. They put up three bricks in a row on another trip. For the night, they shot a playoff-worst 32 percent, going an abysmal 3-of-22 on 3-pointers.

Their point total also was a playoff-low. To put it in perspective, consider that they'd scored at least 77 in the other games this series -- after three quarters!

"I think we got the shots we wanted," said Jerry Stackhouse, who shook things up with a hard foul on Shaquille O'Neal in the third quarter. "We just didn't knock them down. ... We know we're better shooters than (32) percent."

A series the Mavericks were so close to leading 3-0 is now 2-2 and guaranteed of going back to Dallas.

The good news for the Mavs is that if they end up winning this series, they'll do so at home for the first time this postseason. But the breaking news is that after a fourth-quarter collapse and a blowout, they don't look anything like champions. All those historic stats about teams that win the first two games at home are starting to seem like burdens more than omens.

Now it's up to coach of the year Avery Johnson to figure out a way of getting them to snap out of this funk. He has two days to do so, with Game 5 not until Sunday night.

"We've been mentally tough all year," Johnson said. "You're talking about the same team that won Game 7 in San Antonio against a world champion."

Johnson tried shaking things up by inserting speedy Devin Harris into the starting lineup. He seemed to give Dallas some early energy, sparking an attacking offense that drew five fouls in the first six minutes.

But when the whistles stopped, so did the Mavericks. They were behind by five when the first quarter ended and wound up down by double-digits the entire seconds half.

They were outrebounded by 12, making it two straight in double-digits. That only happened twice all season. Dallas has won the battle of the boards only once this series after going an NBA playoff-record 17-0 in that category coming into this round.

The worst sign could be Nowitzki's struggles. With Miami making things rough on him physically, he's been held under 20 points twice this series and three times in his last seven games; he'd been over 20 in 42 straight up to then.

"I'm not really worried about my offensive game," he said. "I just got to make shots."

Now the age-old question of whether it's more devastating to lose a heartbreaker (like, say, blowing a 13-point lead with 6:34 left) or a blowout becomes a timely one in the Dallas locker room.

Afterward, though, players stuck to their talking points: All Miami has done is won its home games, like the Mavs did in Dallas; and the series is back to 0-0.

"It's the NBA finals, it's going to be tough all the way through," said guard Jason Terry. "Nobody said it was going to be easy. Give them a lot of credit for tying up the series."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzOyevtb2rtBJ.alJF2SnW8vLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-mavericks&prov=ap&type=lgns

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 09:11 AM
quack quack

Louae
06-16-2006, 09:25 AM
No drama this time -- Mavs collapse early
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

MIAMI (AP) --

But when the whistles stopped, so did the Mavericks. They were behind by five when the first quarter ended and wound up down by double-digits the entire seconds half.

It would've been nice to have that happen in our series during games 3 and 4 down the stretch. Maybe then, the Heat would've been playing a champion instead of a team that wilts when the protection is lifted.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Eh, the better team won round 2

kalikot_boy_kr
06-16-2006, 11:14 AM
thats why mavs is the flukers of all time...hahahha!

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Game 7 in San Antonio?

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Eh, the better team won round 2

That won't mean shit if the Mavericks lose this series. All it will show is that you can win YOUR NBA TITLE AGAINST THE SPURS but when it comes winning the big games, the Mavericks will be known as the biggest chokers of all time.

Remember this, Spurs fans have celebrated THREE TITLES. How many titles have you celebrated??

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
We have a history major on the forums?

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:25 AM
He brings up a good point. I felt Dallas was better against the Spurs and earned their victory in that series fair and square. I congratulated Mavs fan then (unlike many did to me in 2003) and if they pull off this series (which is far from over) I will do the same but Greg does make a good point. Playoff victories are meaningless unless your team wins it all. The trophy is the only thing that matters.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
No just an individual that's been to three nba title series and celebrations...how many have u been too?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Not many celebrations here in Memphis.... :violin

Why live in the past, though? Can't face the fact the Spurs got beat?

kalikot_boy_kr
06-16-2006, 11:30 AM
mavs are just idiot all the time...hahhaha!!

kalikot_boy_kr
06-16-2006, 11:30 AM
fluke fluke fluke!

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
mavs are just idiot all the time...hahhaha!!
You were homeschooled weren't you?

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Not many celebrations here in Memphis

my point exactly...they haven't done anything yet. Literally. Memphis is like, what, 0-12 all time in playoff games or something? :lol

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Can't face the fact the Spurs got beat?

I think you missed something...

He brings up a good point. I felt Dallas was better against the Spurs and earned their victory in that series fair and square. I congratulated Mavs fan then (unlike many did to me in 2003) and if they pull off this series (which is far from over) I will do the same but Greg does make a good point. Playoff victories are meaningless unless your team wins it all. The trophy is the only thing that matters.

So yes, I can deal with it.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM
my point exactly...they haven't done anything yet. Literally. Memphis is like, what, 0-12 all time in playoff games or something? :lol
Quite the contrary, the Xplorers were the Arena Football champs. I wasn't at the parade though.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Ahh my bad! :)

and you DIDN'T go to the parade?!?!?!?! :wow

and you call yourself a fan! :lmao

:p

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Not many celebrations here in Memphis.... :violin

Why live in the past, though? Can't face the fact the Spurs got beat?
I'll let you know while I'm in South Beach tomorrow and Sunday at game five while you sit in Memphis.

And since all teams are measured on past success, don't you think it is kind of poignant that we talk about your team's title history? Oh wait you guys don't have any.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Ahh my bad! :)
Yes, I was talking to Bam-Bam, not you.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Bam-Bam?

Was Pebbles there too? Always thought she was hot. :p

dirk4mvp
I'll let you know while I'm in South Beach tomorrow and Sunday at game five while you sit in Memphis.

And since all teams are measured on past success, don't you think it is kind of poignant that we talk about your team's title history? Oh wait you guys don't have any.
So basically, the Celtics own you right? Even now?

samikeyp
The "my bad" was in reference to the Arena Football post.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Bam-Bam?

Was Pebbles there too? Always thought she was hot. :p
She had a cold. She couldn't make it. :depressed

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Damn because she is hot. :)

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Still waiting for nbascribe to answer...:corn:

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Dayum shame......we give Mav fan props and he still thinks he's done something. Excuse me while I go polish my 2003 ring....:rollin

Hey Mav fan you ever get one of these?
http://www.pbase.com/trrsranch/image/22846411

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Was nbascribe the "Bam-Bam" you were referring to?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Was nbascribe the "Bam-Bam" you were referring to?
You see the similarities too?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Dayum shame......we give Mav fan props and he still thinks he's done something. Excuse me while I go polish my 2003 ring....:rollin

Hey Mav fan you ever get one of these?
http://www.pbase.com/trrsranch/image/22846411

That was damn funny :idiot

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:44 AM

actually no since Bam-Bam is a little white boy and Greg is a grown black man.

I do know that the ladies refer to him as Bam-Bam....something to do with his "club".

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM

And you got the nerve to ask if someone was home schooled? Ooohh so witty of a comeback.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:46 AM
actually no since Bam-Bam is a little white boy and Greg is a grown black man.

I do know that the ladies refer to him as Bam-Bam....something to do with his "club".
Never would have guessed. But according to him, Celtics, Lakers, and Knicks own the Spurs because they have more rings.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:48 AM
And you got the nerve to ask if someone was home schooled? Ooohh so witty of a comeback.
But the Celtics do own the Spurs, right?

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Never would have guessed. But according to him, Celtics, Lakers, and Knicks own the Spurs because they have more rings.

Uh I never said that. And considering that the Spurs defeated the Knicks in 99 to win their first title that would not be accurate.

If you're going to quote me, quote me right. Don't try to make shit up. Too many folk up here will call u out on it...lol

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
If you are just counting rings...the Celts own everybody.

Greg is not just counting rings.

shelshor
06-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Sorry, but the Knicks only have 2 titles in their history--1970 & 1973

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:54 AM
That won't mean shit if the Mavericks lose this series. All it will show is that you can win YOUR NBA TITLE AGAINST THE SPURS but when it comes winning the big games, the Mavericks will be known as the biggest chokers of all time.

Remember this, Spurs fans have celebrated THREE TITLES. How many titles have you celebrated??

The last little line. Since the Mavs are better than the Spurs(they've proven it), but we haven't any rings yet like you guys, we obviously suck. So until we get 4, we'll stay sorry. I gotcha

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
But why would someone continually say "Oh we got 3, how many you got" as an argument? This isn't '99 or '03 or '05 so why keep saying it?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:56 AM

You said teams are measured of past success. I'm not making anything up.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:56 AM
He just asked a question. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:58 AM
The last little line. Since the Mavs are better than the Spurs(they've proven it), but we haven't any rings yet like you guys, we obviously suck. So until we get 4, we'll stay sorry. I gotcha

'We'? Since when did Mark Cuban put you on the payroll?

I said Spurs fans. The Mavs won a series against the Spurs for the first time ever. And now you think they are the king of the mountain? The Mavs have a long way to go before they can dominate the Spurs.

And if they wre the better team, shouldn't the better team be 3-0 against a mediocre Miami Heat team?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 11:59 AM
He just asked a question. You don't have to answer it if you don't want to.
But it's a lame argument. Who cares how many titles they've won in the past? Let's talk about now.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
lame, in your opinion. but to be fair, because you or I say something is lame, doesn't mean everyone feels that way or has to.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
You said teams are measured of past success. I'm not making anything up.

Yes sports teams are measured by their past success. But I did not say that one team owned another.

Compared to the Lakers, Celtics and Bulls, the Spurs are with Detroit as a team that has three rings in franchise history.

If you want to look at immediate success, the Spurs still are the most successful franchise of the NBA because they grabbed two titles in three years between 2003-05.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 12:03 PM
'We'? Since when did Mark Cuban put you on the payroll?

I said Spurs fans. The Mavs won a series against the Spurs for the first time ever. And now you think they are the king of the mountain? The Mavs have a long way to go before they can dominate the Spurs.

And if they wre the better team, shouldn't the better team be 3-0 against a mediocre Miami Heat team?

King of the Mountain? Didn't say that. Like you said, don't make crap up. A long way to go? Did not they come in the Spurs arena for game 7 and win the series? Tell me if they didn't. Heat aren't mediocre. They beat a team who has been in the Finals the past, what, 3 years? Hardly mediocre.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Let's face it. The Mavs are a force in the west now. Not just a pushover from past years. There's no telling who'll win it next year between PHX, DAL, and SAS.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:12 PM
The Heat are mediocre. They have limited bench depth and the only two consistent scorers they have outside of Wade and Shaq are Walker and occasionally J Will.

You're the one flaunting how great the Mavs are and yet this team has nutted twice on the biggest stage there is. You can't talk about now because the Mavs are on the road to disaster if they lose on sunday.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
A force in the West? What just becuase this year the Mavs got past a Suns team tht did not have Amare Stoudamire makes them a force?

I doubt that. A contender is someone who is always either in the WCF or Finals. if Dallas makes it to that point next year, maybe. Right now this is just a team that got by the teams they had to and that was no easy feat. It wasn't like Dallas dominated the Spurs or Pheonix in those series. That team struggled and it showed up again in this series too.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Are you not the one rubbing in the "3 rings" everytime I tell you the Mavs beat the Spurs?

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
A force in the West? What just becuase this year the Mavs got past a Suns team tht did not have Amare Stoudamire makes them a force?

I doubt that. A contender is someone who is always either in the WCF or Finals. if Dallas makes it to that point next year, maybe. Right now this is just a team that got by the teams they had to and that was no easy feat. It wasn't like Dallas dominated the Spurs or Pheonix in those series. That team struggled and it showed up again in this series too.
Mavs didn't dominate the Suns after they won the first game? Hmmm, I'm late.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Maybe cause you come in beating ur chest like your team did something spectacular.

You keep trying to diss Spurs fans with your spill so what would u expect for me to say? That the Mavs are the greatest team I've seen? Hell flippin naw they ain' the greatest team I've seen. They've been the most explosive at times but great is pushing them way to far into a realm that they haven't earned yet.

Like I said, holla at me Sunday on this 'great' team u are rooting for on Monday if your team loses. I'll be there in person and I doubt the Mavs will win that game. Last night's loss was gut wrenching and the Mavs' psyche is as fragile as a wet piece of paper soaked in bleach.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
"Alex, I'll take bullshit for $500."

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Actually I agree...I think the Mavs' psyche took a big hit over these last two game. Doesn't mean they can't snap out of it though.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
"Alex, I'll take bullshit for $500."
Okay smart guy then explain to all of us how the Mavs let a 13 lead turn into a two point loss in game three and how they never led in last night's game?

And if you think that they will win game five? The Mavs do not have killer instinct. As a matter of fact they don't have it because they keep allowing teams back in series instead of closing them out. They did in San Antonio, Pheonix and now here.

So if I'm spewing bullshit then counter it with something that shows that they can finally overcome adverserity and win the big one. This team was up 2-0 and everybody in the media were ready to crown them....I MEAN EVERYBODY. Today, it is now 0-0 and in a best of three fight, many are now saying that the Heat could take the next two games; especially if they win game five mean are saying there may not be a game seven.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
The Mavs's have no killer instinct, but they came in the house that Duncan built, and won game 7 of a playoff series.

Shank
06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
And if you think that they will win game five? The Mavs do not have killer instinct. As a matter of fact they don't have it because they keep allowing teams back in series instead of closing them out. They did in San Antonio, Pheonix and now here.

Before last night's game, didn't the Mavs come back to win 4 playoff games in which they trailed by double digts?

I still think Dallas has the inside track. Blowout losses aside, this series is merely each team holding form and winning on their home court. Whether or not Dallas will nut up and overcome has yet to be seen. You can certainly say they've been gutless since the 6:00 mark of G3, but they have had a mental toughness instilled in them this season. We just need to see that come to fruition.

Side note - If Lee Harvey Oswald had shot like that in his time in Dallas, Kennedy would have seen us land on the moon.

dirk4mvp
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
^:lmao

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Before last night's game, didn't the Mavs come back to win 4 playoff games in which they trailed by double digts?

I still think Dallas has the inside track. Blowout losses aside, this series is merely each team holding form and winning on their home court. Whether or not Dallas will nut up and overcome has yet to be seen. You can certainly say they've been gutless since the 6:00 mark of G3, but they have had a mental toughness instilled in them this season. We just need to see that come to fruition.

Side note - If Lee Harvey Oswald had shot like that in his time in Dallas, Kennedy would have seen us land on the moon.

Okay but what you guys aren't getting is that winning a title is a process. That's what I was trying to get Dirk4MVP to understand. organizations just don't win titles off the bat and I am surely not going to say that the Mavs are ready to be in the Finals every year.

Mental fortitude comes from adversity that they have faced before. The Mavericks have never been in a position of this magnitude. Series wins aside, ask yourself if the Spurs were playing instead of Dallas, do you think they would have blown a 2-0 lead like the Mavs had coming into Miami? Possibly they would lose game three but I don't think they'd lose game four if they were 'focused'.

And that's my contention. The Mavs keep losing focus at the wrong time each series. Fortunately they overcame that mistake against the Spurs and Suns but I don't think Miami will let them overcome it this time.

I'm going to reiterate my point on this team being gutless, near clueless and definitely lacking a killer instinct. If the Mavs lose game five on Sunday, start checking to see if Dr. Phil is coming to the metroplex.