PDA

View Full Version : It is time to revive the old 2-3-2 format argument.

Mavs<Spurs
06-16-2006, 09:31 AM
It is time for the annual 2-3-2 format argument.

I think that it favors the team which begins the series without hca and I have no motivation for saying that this year (unlike last year).

It is more difficult for a road team to win 2 out of 3 games than it is to win 1 out of 2.

On the other hand, it is easier to win 2 consecutive games at home than 3 straight at home.

Nevertheless, I still believe that it favors the team which began the series without hca.

What do you think?

Darrin
06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
I think the 2-3-2 cuts down on travel (remember, the only playoff series between opposing Conferences), and that inevitably leaves both teams fresher. It puts an added emphasis on winning games one and two, and generally leads to a better series.

Keep it. 2-2-1-1-1 is fine for the other rounds. The Finals used to be the only seven-game series, now they are the one of four rounds to have a seven-game series. The Finals are supposed to be defined as different, and the 2-3-2 format helps do that.

I like it because it gives the road team a very important game. With exception to game 3, the road team never hosts a series-leading victory in the 2-2-1-1-1 format. Game 5 is played in the road team's gym. There's only one possible outcome of a game five, if there is to be a game six - a 3-2 series lead for one team, and the brink of elimination for the other. That's a great season-finale for the host building, eh? Either a Champion will be crowned, or someone will face elimination.

Also, since the road team spends almost an entire week in the opposing town, usually homecourt advantage of sleeping in "your own bed" and "jet lag" is minimized, so game 5s tend to be classic.

Mavs<Spurs
06-16-2006, 09:47 AM
I think the 2-3-2 cuts down on travel (remember, the only playoff series between opposing Conferences), and that inevitably leaves both teams fresher. It puts an added emphasis on winning games one and two, and generally leads to a better series.

Keep it. 2-2-1-1-1 is fine for the other rounds. The Finals used to be the only seven-game series, now they are the one of four rounds to have a seven-game series. The Finals are supposed to be defined as different, and the 2-3-2 format helps do that.

I like it because it gives the road team a very important game. With exception to game 3, the road team never hosts a series-leading victory in the 2-2-1-1-1 format. Game 5 is played in the road team's gym. There's only one possible outcome of a game five, if there is to be a game six - a 3-2 series lead for one team, and the brink of elimination for the other. That's a great season-finale for the host building, eh? Either a Champion will be crowned, or someone will face elimination.

Also, since the road team spends almost an entire week in the opposing town, usually homecourt advantage of sleeping in "your own bed" and "jet lag" is minimized, so game 5s tend to be classic.

You make some excellent points. I'll have to think about that.

bulletedge
06-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree that 2-3-2 removes a large part of the HCA- especially if the underdog can win three in a row at home and seize the momentum.

MadDog73
06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
It is time for the annual 2-3-2 format argument.

I think that it favors the team which begins the series without hca and I have no motivation for saying that this year (unlike last year).

It is more difficult for a road team to win 2 out of 3 games than it is to win 1 out of 2.

On the other hand, it is easier to win 2 consecutive games at home than 3 straight at home.

Nevertheless, I still believe that it favors the team which began the series without hca.

What do you think?

I don't think the 2-3-2 format was supposed to give a huge HC advantage.

These are the two best teams in the NBA, and the next best thing to having it in neutral territory, is to have the 2-3-2 format, where Momentum can change so easily.

That said, I do believe the homecourt team does have an advantage, and the fact that every team that's won the first 2 has gone on to win the series supports HCA.

Mavs<Spurs
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think the 2-3-2 format was supposed to give a huge HC advantage.

These are the two best teams in the NBA, and the next best thing to having it in neutral territory, is to have the 2-3-2 format, where Momentum can change so easily.

That said, I do believe the homecourt team does have an advantage, and the fact that every team that's won the first 2 has gone on to win the series supports HCA.

That last fact is a good support for your viewpoint.

Hmmm....

You all make sense. but ... a counterargument is that the Mavs worked hard to get the hca, yet if both teams win all their games at home, Heat have 2 chances to win the Finals, putting the team which had the better record in an elimination game first.

Hmmmm...

Interesting...

Winnipeg_Spur
06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
The 2-3-2 is awful. I hope if the Mavs lose game 5 Cuban can start working on getting that fixed. Since he already apparently single-handedly saved the game of basketball, this shouldn't be too hard for him, and this time his annoying whining could actually HELP the Spurs...

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:59 PM
The 2-3-2 format was designed for travel arrangements before the league became the cash cow it is now.

It really is a non-factor too because if you are the home team and you win the first two games, you are supposed to take one of the games on the road.

I think this argument here is because Dallas screwed up their chances at winning this series in five. Had they won last night, I don't think this argument would have even been raised.

MadDog73
06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
The 2-3-2 is awful. I hope if the Mavs lose game 5 Cuban can start working on getting that fixed. Since he already apparently single-handedly saved the game of basketball, this shouldn't be too hard for him, and this time his annoying whining could actually HELP the Spurs...

Why? Spurs have had no problem winning on the road... ever.

Our only game 7's have come around because we lost on our floor...

Winnipeg_Spur
06-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Why? Spurs have had no problem winning on the road... ever.

Our only game 7's have come around because we lost on our floor...
We were seconds away from losing three in a row against Detroit and going down 3-2. There's no guarantee that we still wouldn't have won, but it would've been tough.

Bottom line, if the Spurs have HCA in a series I don't want them to have played less games at home than on the road after game 5. It's just stupid, and we were an eyelash away from getting burned by it last year.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
It's about tv revenue and travel.

Considering what it takes to put these games on, the league has it this way so that they can get production equipment to the cities involved.

If the league went to a 2-2-1-1-1 format, the costs for production would rise dramatically and that price will be reflected at the ticket gates and concessions.

ShoogarBear
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
I guess the biggest thing about the 2-3-2 is that the lower seed almost ALWAYS has to clinch on the road. Off the top of my head, Detroit in 04 and Houston in 95 are the only lower-seeded teams that clinched it at home.

I'm guessing that lower seeds clinch at home under 2-2-1-1-1 more frequently (though I don't have the numbers). So I would say 2-3-2 doesn't give the low seed an advantage.

MadDog73
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
We were seconds away from losing three in a row against Detroit and going down 3-2. There's no guarantee that we still wouldn't have won, but it would've been tough.

Bottom line, if the Spurs have HCA in a series I don't want them to have played less games at home than on the road after game 5. It's just stupid, and we were an eyelash away from getting burned by it last year.

True, but Championship teams win on the road. It's a good test. This year, I wonder if Spurs would be happy not to have homecourt against Detroit. I wouldn't. I want the first two and last two games at Home. Plus, like I said, no team has ever come back after being down two in the 2-3-2 format. So it's obviously not a disadvantage, no matter how close some of those Game 5s are.

On the other hand, I'm not convinced the Spurs would be in a better position to win Game 5 if we were in San Antonio. Game 7 against the Mavs kinda blows this whole argument out of the water...