PDA

View Full Version : Argentina annihilates Serbia and Montenegro 6-0

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/06/16/argentina.serbmont/index.html

GELSENKIRCHEN, Germany (AP) -- Argentina doesn't just score goals, it crafts works of art.

Three first-half strikes, two by Maxi Rodriguez and another by substitute Esteban Cambiasso, led Argentina to a 6-0 victory Friday over Serbia-Montenegro in Group C. Hernan Crespo made it 4-0 in the 78th, and youngsters Carlos Tevez and Lionel Messi finished off the biggest rout in the tournament so far.

Two-time champion Argentina, which opened the World Cup with a 2-1 victory over Ivory Coast, will reach the round of 16 if the Netherlands wins or draws later Friday against the Ivorians.

"This was an incredible performance," Rodriguez said.

The loss eliminated the Serbs.

Argentine fans, starting to sense something special may be unfolding, were deafening in FC Schalke's closed-roof stadium, with chants of "Ole, Ole" and "AR-gen-tina, AR-gen-tina."

Another screaming serenade, with Diego Maradona swirling a blue and white jersey above his head and joining in, also rang out over and over: "We're going to leave as champions, just like in '86."

Maradona helped Argentina win that last title, and watching this rout, it's not difficult to start believing it could happen again.

Tevez, who is only 22 and a coming star with the 18-year-old Messi, praised the teamwork -- the deft passes and perfectly timed shots.

"When everyone does it together, it's like that," Tevez said.

Argentina's first two goals were masterpieces.

With former star Diego Maradona cheering in the stands, Argentina got a perfect start with Rodriguez scoring in the sixth minute. He finished off his shot at the end of perfect passes down the left side from captain Juan Pablo Sorin and Javier Saviola.

Argentina made it 2-0 in the 31st, a classic goal by Cambiasso, who entered in the 17th minute for injured Luis Gonzalez. Argentina held possession with a string of two dozen passes. At the finish, Saviola found Cambiasso, who passed to Hernan Crespo, who back-heeled the ball for Cambiasso's left-footed finish.

"We're really working well as a group," Esteban Cambiasso said. "This team is solid and we are very confident."

Rodriquez's second involved more grit than guile.

Saviola stole the ball in the right corner, then took a shot breaking for the net. Serb keeper Dragoslav Jevric made a sprawling save. The ball rebounded off the goalpost to his right, with Rodriguez slipping the shot home in the 41st.

To celebrate, he did a flying somersault.

With Serbia down to 10 men after Mateja Kezman was sent off in the 65th for a harsh tackle on Javier Mascherano, Crespo broke through in the 78th off a pass from Messi. It was the 18-year-old Messi's first action of the tournament and he punctuated it with the final goal.

Tevez scored in the 84th, curling the ball into a wide open net as the Serb defense remained leaky. Messi took advantage too, scoring four minutes later.

On a clear day, the game was played under a closed roof at FC Schalke's stadium -- a move to give TV a shadow-free field.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gifhttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smielephant.gif

NASpurs
06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I want the highlights! Need video!

velik_m
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
they fall apart, just like their country

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
they fall apart, just like their country
ouch... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif that was harsh

velik_m
06-16-2006, 10:50 AM
this article is wrong... the Serbs are not out yet...

hope that changes in couple of hours though.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Another screaming serenade, with Diego Maradona swirling a blue and white jersey above his head and joining in, also rang out over and over: "We're going to leave as champions, just like in '86

so who is going to use their fist to score a goal this time? :p

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 11:14 AM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/matchreport/0,,1799515,00.html

Awesome Argentina dance to top of Group C
Paul Doyle
Friday June 16, 2006

The general consensus after this tournament's first series of matches was that only Argentina, Spain and the Czech Republic had shown the fizz, finesse and fearsome finishing of potential world champions. But on the evidence of Argentina's awesome destruction of Serbia and Montenegro today, the Spaniards and Czechs will have to up their game considerably if they're to thwart the boys from Buenos Aires. Jose Pekerman's troops began at a cracking pace and were three up at half-time before adding another three after the break - two of the goals, in particular, being works of rare beauty.

Serbia and Montenegro are certainly no mugs - they had conceded only one goal in 10 qualifying matches - but they were dominated from the outset, Argentina forcing two corners in the first minute. Seven minutes later, Maxi Rodriguez knocked the ball wide to Juan Pablo Sorin, who helped it on to Javier Saviola with a wonderful flick. The little striker skipped past his marker to lay the ball into the path of the in-rushing Rodriguez, who finished what he'd started by firing first-time past goalkeeper Dragoslav Jevric.

The second goal, after 32 minutes, was even better, concluding a majestic 24-pass move that went the whole length of the pitch. The climax came when Juan Roman Riquelme exchanged a snappy one-two with Saviola, who clipped it to Esteban Cambiasso at the edge of the box. The Internazionale man took one touch to find Hernan Crespo, who returned the ball to him with a smart back-heel and Cambiasso blasted it into the roof of the net. If you didn't see it, don't worry: it will be shown on TV over and over again for decades to come.

The fact that Cambiasso had only come on as a substitute 14 minutes earlier in place of the injured Luis Gonzalez proved that in addition to class, speed and cohesion, the Albiceleste have strength in depth. When Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez came on in the second half, the point was underlined emphatically.

The third goal was more straight-forward than the previous two but illustrated yet another quality of this exhilirating young Argentinina team: their hunger. Two minutes before half-time, 5ft 5' Saviola chased a rare punt from defence and outmuscled 6ft 4' Mladen Krstajic before twisting past Milan Dudic and into the box. His low shot was blocked by Jevric, but as ever an Argentinian was first to the rebound, Rodriguez pouncing to slam it home.

Argentina had the match won and everyone knew it, from the elated Diego Maradona dancing in the stands to the outclassed Serbian players battling gamely throughout the second half in a bid to preserve their pride. Savo Milosevic even had a chance to grab a goal for Ilija Petkovic's charges, but he headed weakly wide from six yards after excellent work on the right by Danijel Ljuboja.

Though they played with slightly less adventure in the second period, Argentina continued to zing the ball around via sublime one-touch football or extravagant dribbles and flicks. Any straw of hope the Serbians were clutching was ripped from their grasp in the 65th minute, when Mateja Kezman was harshly sent off for a two-footed tackle on Javier Mascherano, even though he got the ball.

When Messi joined the fray moments after that the Serbians must have feared a massacre and, sure enough, the precocious Barcelona forward soon created a fourth goal, hurtling down the left to deliver a low cross to the back post, where Crespo slid it into the net.

Six minutes from time, it was the turn of another substitute, Tevez, to bring his tricks to the party. Collecting a dainty chip from Mascherano, the 22-year-old nutmegged one defender then barged past another before curling it deftly past the keeper's outstretched arm.

Crespo could have made it six two minutes later but Jevric made a solid block. That was only delaying the inevitable, however, as Argentina were playing at such a rarefied height their opponents simply couldn't live with them. Their sixth goal came in the 88th minute and was almost as breathtaking as the second. After yet more slick interplay, Crespo and Tevez performed a one-two before the latter released Messi, who stormed into the box and rifled it underneath the keeper. That concluded by far the best team display of the tournament. Possibly of any tournament.

samikeyp
06-16-2006, 11:17 AM
You'd figure that the Serbs would have at least showed up. Argentina looks good right now. I would love to see an Argentina-Brazil matchup...the whole hemisphere would go nuts.

rascal
06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I knew I should not have taken Serbia & Montenegro over Argentina in the predictions as an upset and same holds for USA over Italy . I almost changed them right before the start of play but didn't.

If I had taken Argentina and Italy to advance I would hit all right in the first round. And I have to admit I know nothing of any of the teams leading up to the world cup, just past history and who is suppose to be good. i don't follow soccer.

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
the 6-0 is deceiving.

Argentina was leading by 3 when Serbs gave up completely and were down to 10 players on the field.

In my book this is a solid win but not more. Sebs gave the 2nd half away. Even the US would have scored 3 goals on the Serbs at that point.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/minbymin/0,,1788276,00.html

29 mins - GOAL! Argentina 2 - 0 Serbia and Montenegro Sweet mother of Jesus, how the fuck am I supposed to describe that? The goal of the tournament so far by Cambiasso, and quite possibly the greatest goal that's ever been scored.

31 mins: Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping. Cambiano. Crespo. Cambiasso ... goal!

Starting deep inside their own half, with 24 short, high speed passes, the blurry shapes that are assorted Argentina players carve open Serbia and Montengro. Sorin does brilliantly to pick out Cambiasso, who dinkls the ball to Crespo on the edge of the box and continues his run. With his first touch, Crespo back-heels the ball across the edge of the penalty area and into the path of Cambiasso, who pulls the trigger and lashes it home. So mesmerised were the S&M players, they were left standing like statues. Make it your business to see that goal tonight - a mere hack like me doesn't have the literary skills to do it justice. In the stands, Diego Maradona is beside himself with excitement - they'll be setting that one to music for years to come. It'll certainly give England's defenders plenty to think about while they're hoofing long balls up to Peter Crouch. An astonishing goal ...

Guardian is a British newspaper, this comes from their blogger.

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:16 PM
http://football.guardian.co.uk/worldcup2006/minbymin/0,,1788276,00.html

Guardian is a British newspaper, this comes from their blogger.

nah, did u see Spain's incredible goal??? I think it was the 2nd or 3rd. that was the goal of the tournament so far

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
nah, did u see Spain's incredible goal??? I think it was the 2nd or 3rd. that was the goal of the tournament so far
are you kidding me?? Spain's goal, although great was nowhere near as good as Argentina's!

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
are you kidding me?? Spain's goal, although great was nowhere near as good as Argentina's!

hehe that coming from an argentine

I am a neutral opinion. but I'll try to look at the goals again.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:26 PM

I see so because I'm Argentinian, I can't like the goal better lest I seem a homer huh? screw you! IMO the goal was better and it has nothing to do with me being Argentinian

Three Lions
06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
The Argentines are bloody weak primadonnas who will be run off the pitch quicker than they were off the Falklands.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/afp/20060610/i/1657735377.jpg

Eng-a-land.

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
The Argentines are bloody weak primadonnas who will be run off the pitch quicker than they were off the Falklands.

Eng-a-land.

:lol that coming from a fan who's team almost get beat by Trinidad and Tobago

:lol u remind me of Mav fans

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM

Eng-a-land.

See you at the Quarterfinals you english prick

Three Lions
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Argentines must like seeing English pricks, what say you bloke?

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fifa/20060610/i/1420419405.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I've got a feeling this dude is mouse

Ariel
06-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Ugh... Argentine or not, it's not even close, dude... your statement is laughable.

Ariel
06-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I've got a feeling this dude is mouse

Yeah, I'd say that's a safe bet.

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
Ugh... Argentine or not, it's not even close, dude... your statement is laughable.

thanks for another nonbiased opinion :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks for another nonbiased opinion :lol
you want an unbiased opinion, read any European newspaper tonight, and see if they don't hail today's goal as the best of the tournament so far http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Don't take our word for it if you don't want.

nkdlunch
06-16-2006, 12:40 PM
ok will do

Three Lions
06-16-2006, 12:43 PM
A bloody mouse? Argentinians tend to be that in battle.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fi/20060611/i/2871921039.jpg

Fear the Lions.

Sense
06-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Serbia and montenegro... oh wow.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Serbia and montenegro... oh wow.
is that sarcasm? Serbia and Montenegro came into the world hailed as the team with the toughest defense in Europe. They didn't play well, that is true, but they sure are no scrubs.

NASpurs
06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
I fucking hate ESPN. They only showed 2 goals from the game :pctoss

velik_m
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
is that sarcasm? Serbia and Montenegro came into the world hailed as the team with the toughest defense in Europe. They didn't play well, that is true, but they sure are no scrubs.

yes but 2 players in that d are missing.

they're out now.

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Eng-a-land.
primadonnas???

:lmao :lmao :lmao

When calling people primmadonnas, it's not smart to follow it with David Beckham.

:lmao

ALVAREZ6
06-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Even the US would have scored 3 goals on the Serbs at that point.
Now that's pushing it.

That USA team would get beat by any team in this world cup. They are pathetic, nothing but hype lazy asses.

ManuLoco
06-16-2006, 06:10 PM
That USA team would get beat by any team in this world cup. They are pathetic, nothing but hype lazy asses.

The US are better than argentina, at least that's what FIFA rankings show :lol

MannyIsGod
06-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Now that's pushing it.

That USA team would get beat by any team in this world cup. They are pathetic, nothing but hype lazy asses.Um, I call bullshit. The US team makes the 2nd round with ease in other groups. Especially if they were in Mexico's group.

GrandeDavid
06-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Newsflash from down in Brazil: the Brazilians are well-aware of how hot Argentina is. Very dangerous team. The Brazilians have said all along, that if any team can knock them out, its Argentina.

GrandeDavid
06-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Manny is very correct. Nobody should really say with conviction that the USA is not in a ridiculously tough group. Czech is men among boys, Italy is freaking Italy... Czech would beat the Netherlands, but would dogfight with Argentina. The USA got a tough ass draw.

Ariel
06-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Manny is very correct. Nobody should really say with conviction that the USA is not in a ridiculously tough group. Czech is men among boys, Italy is freaking Italy... Czech would beat the Netherlands, but would dogfight with Argentina. The USA got a tough ass draw.
The US sure didn't get lucky, but if you're looking for a team that really got screwed, then it's Ivory Coast.

They were thrown into the toughest group around, with Argentina, Netherlands, and S&M, and after two games they didn't deserve to lose (especially today), they're going home when they possibly would have qualified in any other group, or even win some.

As if that weren't enough, also the order of play within the group was f'd up, since it resulted in losing all hope before even playing their easier match, which at least could have provided a little joy and something to sweeten their overall sour experience. My sympathies to the Elephants.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 09:59 PM
The US sure didn't get lucky, but if you're looking for a team that really got screwed, then it's Ivory Coast.

They were thrown into the toughest group around, with Argentina, Netherlands, and S&M, and after two games they didn't deserve to lose (especially today), they're going home when they possibly would have qualified in any other group, or even win some.

As if that weren't enough, also the order of play within the group was f'd up, since it resulted in losing all hope before even playing their easier match, which at least could have provided a little joy and something to sweeten their overall sour experience. My sympathies to the Elephants.
yeah, seriously fucked up. Any team that has to play Argentina and the Netherlands in the first 2 matches of their World Cup campaign was clearly screwed right from the lottery http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

rascal
06-16-2006, 10:13 PM
The USA has a tough two opening games, with Czech and Italy but there are no excuses. They either win or go home. This USA team wasn't any good and I don't know why they were so hyped up. They can't score enough goals.

Even against weak competition they did not score well, averaged only 1 goal a game over their last few warmups before the world cup began.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't understand what people mean by hyped up. This is without a doubt the best team the US has ever fielded. That doesn't mean they were going to win their group. The so called hype is just the American public not understanding the World Cup.

SPARKY
06-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I think the hype has to do with a FIFA ranking of 5th or whatever. I spoke a month or so ago with someone from the UK and they were aghast that I would even suggest such a thing when I brought it up. Maybe it was just typical British snobbery.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I think the hype has to do with a FIFA ranking of 5th or whatever. I spoke a month or so ago with someone from the UK and they were aghast that I would even suggest such a thing when I brought it up. Maybe it was just typical British snobbery.
its not snobbery, the US isn't 5th by any reasonable standards. FIFA is already looking into changing the ranking due to its ineffectiveness. Anyone that thinks the US is better than teams the like of England, the Netherlands, Argentina, Germany knows nothing about football whatsoever.

Ariel
06-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I mentioned this a lot of times. According to FIFA, USA was ranked 5th, and Argentina 9th. If those rankings hold any truth whatsoever, then why did Argentina pay at most 9 to 1, and USA 100 to 1? Is the market that stupid? All arguments subdue to reality.

USA footbal is a developing sport, that has come a long way, but still has a long way to go. You cannot expect to trump a hundred years of history and football culture world powers have, in just a couple of decades. USA football is in its infancy, and going by some critics I've read from the American media, they're already trying to choke the sport to death before it grows up. Not smart, and definitely not fair.

MannyIsGod
06-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Yeah, the FIFA rankings are pretty misunderstood here. I think overall the US public doesn't understand the level of competition involved in the WC and just what shold be expected from a side.

velik_m
06-17-2006, 01:35 AM

Czechs lost to the netherlands in qualifying 2-0 and 2-0.

Sense
06-17-2006, 03:13 AM
Um, I call bullshit. The US team makes the 2nd round with ease in other groups. Especially if they were in Mexico's group.

When it comes to soccer.... you're not legit.

MannyIsGod
06-17-2006, 04:07 AM
Heh. I don't claim to be all knowing, but I know that the US would have made it into the 2nd round if they and Mexico were switched. What has Mexico done recently to seperate themselves from the US? The US has actually owned them recently.

Mexico should have easily qualified for the 2nd round, but they managed to screw that up today. Seeing as the US and Mexico are pretty damn even, its pretty easy to think that the US should also have breezed through.

So yeah, I'm not as up to date on everything as many people who have better access to the news, but don't take shots at what I'm saying when its completely logical. When it comes to being smarter than you, I'm more than legit.

Ariel
06-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Mexico and USA couldn't have been switched, when the draw was set up, USA could only have taken the place of the teams listed last, in blue, and the possible outcome:

Group A: Germany, Ecuador, Poland, Costa Rica: Fighting 2nd place with Ecuador. A little behind.
Group B: England, Paraguay, Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago: Fighting 2nd place with Sweden, very likely being 3rd.
Group C: Argentina, Ivory Coast, Netherlands, Serbia and Montenegro: Comfortable 4th. Worst possible scenario.
Group D: Mexico, Angola, Portugal, Iran: Fighting for any of the top 2 places with Portugal and Mexico. Unpredictable.
Group E: Italy, Ghana, Czech Republic, USA: N/A. Second toughest group.
Group F: Brazil, Australia, Croatia, Japan: Fighting 2nd place with Croatia and Australia, but likely falling short.
Group G: France, Togo, Switzerland, South Korea: Unpredictable. France has unmeasurably more talented players, but they play like crap as a team. Switzerland is a mediocre European side. Togo is dead last. I'd like USA's chances here.
Group H: Spain, Tunisia, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia: Candidate to advance in the second place.

So, as you'll see, USA could have definitely done better, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park no matter what.

alamo50
06-17-2006, 05:50 AM
That one goal after 26 touches.......................wow................p ure class.

Too freakin' bad that Wednesday's match won't have any meaning for Holland nor Argentina.
I was realy looking forward to that match...........

But hey, who would have thought we both would come out of the "poule of death" so "easy" after 2 wins?

Three Lions
06-17-2006, 05:58 AM
The Netherlands is the big gay orange loving uncle of Europe.

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/afp/20060611/i/2989198240.jpghttp://www.suedharz2000.de/Cartoons/Fussball-Maskottchen/Logos-Europa/EM1988-mascot-holland.gif

MaNuMaNiAc
06-17-2006, 09:39 PM
This goal is just too beautifull!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC5mUFye50&search=Argentina%20goal

MaNuMaNiAc
06-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Here it is with music :lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O7KkZn4rk&search=Argentina%20goal