PDA

View Full Version : Could this statement hold some truth?

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
I wrote this for FSR's quick hits yesterday in a pow wow session:

"LACK OF KILLER INSTINCT IN THE MAVERICKS VERY NOTICEABLE

The Dallas Mavericks have a clock problem of their own and it has nothing to do with the referees but has everything to do with their lack of killer instinct. Tuesday's game was an ideal scenario for the Mavericks and first year head coach Avery Johnson to make a statement to the nay sayers who are against them. When the Mavericks had the Heat down by thirteen, this team should have been putting away their opponent. Instead the Mavericks have once again allowed a very good playoff veteran team come back in a series and put the pressure right back on them. This has been their pattern of operation throughout the playoffs. Against the San Antonio Spurs at San Antonio and at Dallas, the Mavericks allowed the former defending title holder tie the series up and only in an overtime win in the seventh game did the Mavericks prevail. It happened in Phoenix as well even though the Mavericks won that series in six games. Now it has happened in this series as well.

As good as the Mavericks are, many analysts, myself included, feel that should this team win this year's Larry O'Brien trophy, they may be nothing more than a one hit wonder. Championship caliber teams or at least teams that are always in contention, are able to put their opponents away when given the opportunity. The Mavericks are like a great thoroughbred that never wins the big race; they are front runners. As long as they get out in front and get a commanding lead, they will win the small battles. However, veteran teams that have championship caliber players on their rosters could be considered 'last spurts'. The Heat didn't really panic in game three but came on in the last six minutes of the contest and caught the front running Mavericks. While this may seem like a very awkward analogy of two basketball teams, consider what you are looking at; a race to four wins. Should the Miami Heat win tonight's contest and do it in convincing fashion, the Mavericks will be on their heels. They are not a very good come from behind team as far as series goes. While it is very apparent that the Heat need to win this game to just stay in contention, the pressure is really on Johnson and his players. this is the Mavericks' game 'seven'. This is a must win for them to win the title. A loss here could possibly derail that opportunity or at least make the task that more difficult."

Now looking back at the game from last night, I wonder if the Mavs may be having second thoughts.

bulletedge
06-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow- you really are a master of the obvious.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Uh that was from an e-mail taht is sent to Fox and ESPN YESTERDAY when I was in a production meeting during a confernce call.

bulletedge
06-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm duly impressed with your insightful, though obvious, commentary and your incredible ability to multitask by sending an email during a production meeting.

I am even more impressed that you are a prefessional analyst.

Wow.

nbascribe
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm duly impressed with your insightful, though obvious, commentary and your incredible ability to multitask by sending an email during a production meeting.

I am even more impressed that you are a prefessional analyst.

Wow.
Say genius it wasn't an e-mail. I had sent a synopsis of the whole series to everyone in the meeting and that was what we were discussing. Show hosts were asking contributors to give breakdowns on various things. The Mavs' part of the synopsis was part of a topic sheet including the clock malfunction, MJ's return as an executive in the NBA and who would win game four.

bulletedge
06-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Uh that was from an e-mail taht is sent to Fox and ESPN YESTERDAY when I was in a production meeting during a confernce call.

Dear Einstein,

I guess this is why I assumed that it was an email you had sent...because you stated it was in your post as quoted above.

I still stand by my statement that everything you said was obvious.

Thanks.