PDA

View Full Version : Could Swift's rise be coming soon?

ducks
10-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Could Swift's rise be coming soon?
Percy Allen, Seattle Times staff reporter

It didn't take long for Robert Swift to get a taste of what life is like in the NBA.

Forget that first exhibition in Anaheim on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 18-year-old rookie from Bakersfield, Calif., played just four minutes against the Los Angeles Lakers, hardly enough time for him to break a sweat in front of a handful of family and friends who made the trek south from his hometown.

In his second NBA outing the next day in Portland, the 7-foot, 245-pound center taken 12th overall in the June draft showed the Sonics that they might need to condense their long-term developmental plan, in which many believed he'd be able to make his first significant contributions during the 2006-07 season.

Third season? Hardly. Three weeks? Possibly.

"Right now, what we're getting from him is the same that we're getting from our other (centers)," coach Nate McMillan said. "What I'm seeing out of him is an understanding of where he needs to be and what he needs to do. He's in the proper place, and he's not being pushed around.

"It's still early, so you can't make too many assumptions just yet, but I'll say this, I like what he's doing. Not only is he learning, but he's learning on the go. So I can't say right now that I've ruled anything out as far as Robert Swift. He could really help us out this season."

Against Portland on Wednesday, Swift led the Sonics with seven rebounds — four offensive — in 20 minutes. He scored just one point and missed all four of his shots, but, as assistant Jack Sikma said, "They were four good shots that rimmed out."

After yesterday's practice, Swift didn't seem concerned about the missed attempts but was bothered by his rebounding. "I honestly felt I should have had a couple of more offensive rebounds," he said. "With a little bit more experience, hopefully I can grab those three extra rebounds and get my first double-digit stat."

That kind of talk has Sikma and McMillan giddy with glee.

They've stressed greater attention from their post players on rebounding but, despite their demands, backup center Jerome James, who made his first start of the exhibition season on Wednesday, managed just one rebound in 25 minutes.

Seattle's other center, Vitaly Potapenko, didn't play against the Trail Blazers, but he finished with eight points and three rebounds against the Lakers on Tuesday.

Sikma acknowledged that the depth-chart order of Potapenko, James and Swift hasn't changed, but more outings like the one against Portland and continued development in practice could force a change.

"You can talk about a scenario and what you're trying to accomplish, and Robert picks that up pretty quickly as far as what that is and tries to get it done," Sikma said. "Now there's a wealth of things that he still has to learn, but the track that he's on as far as accomplishing that, I've been very pleased with."

Admittedly, many Sonics coaches didn't know what they were getting when Swift arrived. The team didn't get a chance to bring in Swift for a pre-draft workout since his agent, believing that Boston would draft him at No. 15, directed him to forgo any auditions.

As such, McMillan said it's easier to be impressed, "because what did we really know about him?" The Sonics are learning that their teenage rookie doesn't shy away from contact, has limited offensive moves and knows that time is on his side.

"Whether I play or not, that's really not up to me, so I try not to think about it," Swift said. "I think about just going out as hard as I can every day and playing as hard as I can. If I earn minutes, I'll play. I'll gladly take them. If not, I'll understand."

Notes

• Luke Ridnour, who suffered a scratched left eye and did not play on Wednesday, practiced yesterday morning, but Rashard Lewis (plantar fasciitis) sat out. Ray Allen was unable to finish the drills after being hit inadvertently in the right eye by Ibrahim Kutluay. Allen met with an ophthalmologist in the afternoon.

Ronald Murray (strained left quadriceps) said he expects to miss another week before returning. Free agent Galen Young, who had his knee X-rayed, was cleared to practice yesterday.

• The Sonics are expected to trim their 18-man roster before tomorrow's game. The team has 13 players with guaranteed contracts and may keep as many as 14, which leaves five players vying for one spot.

Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]