PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite play in each Spurs legend's careers

baseline bum
06-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Tim Duncan - Game-winner in Malone's face in Utah, 2003

David Robinson - Don't remember when... prob his rookie year... David beats everyone down the floor, jumps, does a full circle with the ball with both hands, slams it, Hemisfair goes fucking nuts

Greg Popovich - Pass to the nuts from Terry Porter that drops him to the floor in Utah, 2000

Tony Parker - Pick and roll with Duncan against Shaq and Payton, game 1, 2004 second round...

Parker has the ball, jumps like a madman, waves Tim over,
Duncan sets the screen, GP and Shaq trap, Tony hands off to Tim,
Tony curls around Tim on the outside, Payton goes under, Tim hands off to Tony, Shaq traps, Tim sneaks towards the baseline, Tony passes it to a wide open Duncan, bank-shot, game over

Manu Ginobili - this is the toughest call:
1a) 70-foot bounce pass under Yao Ming to Kevin Willis in 2003
1b) pass through Kobe Bryant's legs to Rob for the layup, 2004

Sean Elliott - Obvious.. MDM

Robert Horry - Obvious, Father's Day Dagger

Mario Elie - gamewinner vs Houston, 1999, comeback from 23 down to win with 0.1 seconds left... blew kisses to Hakeem and Rudy after it was over

Bruce Bowen - block in game 5 on Nowitzki... if Dirk gets that shot off, the Spurs lose the series in 5

Avery Johnson - Obvious... 1999 title-clincher

Michael Finley - Dunk and head-butt, game 6 of Dallas series

Stephen Jackson - Three to go up 73-72 on Jersey in game 6 of the Finals after being down 62-72.

Nazr Mohammed - Block on Ben Wallace to force shot-clock violation in fourth quarter of game 7 to hold a 3 point lead, 2005 Finals

Malik Rose - http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0611/photo/a_rose_vt.jpg

Kevin Willis - Halfcourt shot to break a tie at the half, game 1 vs LA, 2003

Steve Kerr - During the 23-0 run in Dallas in game 6 of the 03 WCF, goes face down into the floor to save a loose ball from going out of bounds after shutting down Nash and getting the stop

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Mine is the two-hand jam by Tony Parker.http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/show_575/BKN0511_spurs1_parker_jl.jpg

The Nike Tony Parker Dunk Highs
http://www.kicksnavi.com/hotkicks/entryimg/040921.jpg

Leetonidas
06-17-2006, 12:21 AM
The one's I change are:

Tim Duncan -- 41 point, 15 rebound effort versus Dallas in Game 7.

Tony Parker -- Three pointer in the face of Marcus Camby in OT in Denver, 2005 Playoffs.

Manu Ginobili -- Tie:

1. 48 point game versus Phoenix in '05 to come back from a 17 point defecit at the beginning of the 4th and win in OT.
2. Finger-role to dunk versus Detroit in NBA Finals 2005.

David Robinson -- Going out with a ring in 2003.

Solid D
06-17-2006, 12:25 AM
D-Rob against the Mavs in his 1st year at the Reunion Arena, blocks a shot at the baseline and then outruns all 9 other players to the other end and takes a lob for a dunk. All 9. I couldn't believe the speed.

I can't decide on a moment for Tim. Therefore, I just remember Timmy's huge games versus the Lakers in both 99 and 03 playoffs where he went nuts and could not be stopped.

How about Bowen's block on Billups in Game 7 in 2005?

Sean Elliott's MDM for sure. I also liked his two-stage hang-time dunk over Lakers' Vlade Divac in the playoffs (replay actually showed Sean's foot getting a boost from Vlade's thigh)

Too many Manu favorites: Hard to choose...maybe the hack and wrap by Brad Miller ending up with back-to-the-basket, flip shot and1...or maybe the behind the back from left elbow to rt. corner to Devin Brown for 3 at the buzzer vs. PHX in 2005 playoffs....or maybe the understated wizardry against Milwaukee at home in a meaningless reg. season game...running the break, Manu rt. wing one-hands a pass with his rt. hand, except he doesn't pass but changes his mind and seems to spin the ball in his palm and pull it back in like it was on a string, only to pass it back to a different teammate running the left wing for a layup. Yeah, one of those.

Robert Horry's Game 5 3 in 2005.

TP's epic performance 1 on 1 battle versus BD of Golden State in one of two b2b OT wins in Cali in 2005, without Tim Duncan, Rasho or Manu.

Steve Kerr's amazing hustle to run down a loose rebound and then sticks several 3s versus Dallas in 2003 while D-Rob is jumping and doing pirhouette 360s on the sideline.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-17-2006, 12:34 AM
no no for TD his game 6 performance against the nets in 2003 greatly outshadows that of the game 7 heartbreaker against the mavs.

Solid D
06-17-2006, 12:41 AM
I almost forgot, Kevin Willis' legendary one-hand catch and slam in Shaq's domain to close out the Lakers in 2003, as Bill Schoening yells out for Jack Nicholson's ears, "THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, RIGHT THERE!!!"

TMTTRIO
06-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Those were great and I agree with each one of ya'll. Manu has had a lot of awesome plays to remember including the dunk on the three Lakers, the dunk on the Suns in his 48 point game to wrap it all up, the rebound after a missed free throw and then the 3 pointer against Miami. Man, I really missed the real Manu this year that used to do all those things :(. Hopefully he'll get his explosiveness back and be back ready to go next year.
Sean Elliott for his Memorial Day Miracle
Tim Duncan for all the game winning shots that he's made including last year against the Sonics series even if he was hobbled.
Robert Horry for game 5 of last year during the Pistons series :elephant .
Bruce Bowen for the block that he did on Dirk

jman3000
06-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Sean's massive slam in his comeback game against the Hawks ... obviously didn't mean as much as MDM, but it was close.

Texas_Ranger
06-17-2006, 01:15 AM

That is my favorite play.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g253/Ivan21_2006/13.jpg

ShoogarBear
06-17-2006, 01:23 AM
David Robinson - Can't remember who or when but some opposing point guard is bringing the ball down on the break across half court. DRob CHASES HIM DOWN FROM BEHIND and pokes the ball free from a Spur then heads back down court for the cherry pick dunk.

Tony Parker - Faking Payton out of his jock in the playoffs against Seattle.

Bruce Bowen - block in game 5 on Nowitzki... if Dirk gets that shot off, the Spurs lose the series in 5
My only major disagreement. Bruce's play is the block on Billups in Game 7. Billups gets that shot off, the Pistons are down by 2 and only half to make one more stop.

T Park
06-17-2006, 01:39 AM

Id say his deke move on Shaq the layup in game 6 in 03.

"Well, maybe they wont comeback if they are making shots like that"
" This is a blowout, Phil Jackson is in Kobe Bryant's ear, HOW ABOUT SOME DEFENSE OUT HERE, HORRIBLE!!"

:lol

SA Gunslinger
06-17-2006, 02:03 AM

Great call.

That is the first one that came to mind when I read the thread title.

I also liked the dunk TD gets after an offensive board in '99 over Malone and Ostertag. That was sweet.

sabar
06-17-2006, 02:08 AM
Duncan's miracle fadeaway shot before the 0.4 dagger would have been a good contender if we won that and then went on to win the series.

Agree with most of what's been said.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2006, 02:23 AM
manu - the dunk against the lakers where he went 1 on 4 :D:D
- the dunk against the suns out, over 3 dickheads

toosmallshoes
06-17-2006, 03:13 AM

David Robinson - Don't remember when... prob his rookie year... David beats everyone down the floor, jumps, does a full circle with the ball with both hands, slams it, Hemisfair goes fucking nuts

Greg Popovich - Pass to the nuts from Terry Porter that drops him to the floor in Utah, 2000

Tony Parker - Pick and roll with Duncan against Shaq and Payton, game 1, 2004 second round...

Parker has the ball, jumps like a madman, waves Tim over,
Duncan sets the screen, GP and Shaq trap, Tony hands off to Tim,
Tony curls around Tim on the outside, Payton goes under, Tim hands off to Tony, Shaq traps, Tim sneaks towards the baseline, Tony passes it to a wide open Duncan, bank-shot, game over

Sean Elliott - Obvious.. MDM

Robert Horry - Obvious, Father's Day Dagger

Mario Elie - gamewinner vs Houston, 1999, comeback from 23 down to win with 0.1 seconds left... blew kisses to Hakeem and Rudy after it was over

Avery Johnson - Obvious... 1999 title-clincher

Michael Finley - Dunk and head-butt, game 6 of Dallas series

Stephen Jackson - Three to go up 73-72 on Jersey in game 6 of the Finals after being down 62-72.

Nazr Mohammed - Block on Ben Wallace to force shot-clock violation in fourth quarter of game 7 to hold a 3 point lead, 2005 Finals

Malik Rose - http://sports.espn.go.com/media/nba/2003/0611/photo/a_rose_vt.jpg

Steve Kerr - During the 23-0 run in Dallas in game 6 of the 03 WCF, goes face down into the floor to save a loose ball from going out of bounds after shutting down Nash and getting the stop

Tim Duncan:
The picture of Tim and DRob hoisting the MVP and Larry O'brian Trophy together after the '99 campaign.

David Robinson:
Same thing.

Gregg Poppovich:
When he went straight to his mentor, Larry Brown, and gave him a hug when the Spurs beat the Pistons.
I also liked watching him act like a doofis on his float during the first Spurs Championshoip Parade.

Tony Parker:
His girlfriend is hot.

Manu Ginobili:
The steal he made in game six against the nets in '03 that lead to a breakaway dunk and changed the momentum of the game.

Sean Elliot:
One guess, and if you don't get it right you get kicked in the nuts until whales become extinct.

Robert Horry:
I should kick you in the nuts right now.

Mario Elie:
The three vs. H'town. Yep. That was his moment.

Bruce Bowen:
The block at the end of game 7 in '05 was and always will be his defining moment.

Avery Johnson:
'99. His big shot. That moment is the swirling center of his life.

Michael Finley:
The dunk and head butt.

Stephen Jackson: That night he punched those people in the face in Detroit. I sure wish "Face Puncher" was a Spur again!!!!

Nazr... who?....

Malik Rose:
Watching him cry during the interview he gave before going to New York.

Kevin Willis:
When he jumped into David Robinson's arms as they were seconds away from his first and the Spurs' second NBA Championship.

and who can forget the time DRob was blocked by Charles Barkley, and the time Rod Strickland threw that awesome behind the back pass against portland?
ugh.
How about the time Sean Eliot missed those free throws against Houston?
What about the time Bruce Bowen was called for a foul when David Hasselhoff pushed off on him and committed an offensive foul in the 2006 playoffs?

What a crazy soap opera.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-17-2006, 03:17 AM
I see you've chosen to exclude Mengke Bateer.

Lady M
06-17-2006, 07:00 AM
for Tony
the steal and the 3 against Miami when he break his point record

Pistons < Spurs
06-17-2006, 07:29 AM
How about Bowen's block on Billups in Game 7 in 2005?

Robert Horry's Game 5 3 in 2005.

These were the 2 plays that immediately came to mind when I read this thread title.

Those are also 2 plays that I never want to think about ever again... :madrun :madrun

Obstructed_View
06-17-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm glad someone agrees with me on that one. His defense and hustle in that game was pivotal. The threes were obviously important, but Kerr got everybody going with his effort off the bench that year.\

I loved Kevin Willis' putback dunk and when Sean Elliott threw it down in Barkley's mug. My favorite five oh moment is 1999 when he pushed Kevin Garnett away by the face. That was a sign he wasn't going to be happy about losing ever again.

TxJudsonRocketTx
06-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I know Horry's shot saved us the championship last year, but Ill have to go with his dunk on Rip that game. When that shit went down I jumped up and screamed my lungs out cus I didnt know Horry could get up like that and he was just taking the 4th quarter and overtime into his hands

Obstructed_View
06-17-2006, 07:52 AM
I see you've chosen to exclude Mengke Bateer.
My favorite Mengke moment is when he scored 5 points in a game against the Pistons. The Spurs won by like 30 and he played most of the fourth quarter.

baseline bum
06-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I pick Bruce's block on Dirk because a 12-footer is automatic for Nowitzki, and because it would have given Dallas a 1 point lead. Billups' put up a much more difficult shot.

Tigole Bitties
06-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Rasho Nesterovic: The awesome display of speed when he ran away from those peasant villagers carrying torches and pitchforks -- that was awesome.

Dwayne Schintzius: My favorite moment is that one time... err... hmm... n/m

polandprzem
06-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Timmy: alleyoop one-handed dunk - pass out of the base line vs Milwaukee
The fallow dunk vs Utah in his rookie year when he take a baseline hook then beats Carr (ball of the rim of the backboard) Tim catches with two hand and slams it dow with a right hand. [Is it correct?]

Tim Duncans trey at SBC Center vs Miami. That was a jumpshot and than he puts his finger up and says "One hundred bucks" - to Tony ofcourse.

gospursgojas
06-17-2006, 12:19 PM
5-0: When he went off on the ref and got ejected against the Trailblazers, lighting a fire under the rest of the team. The Spurs than came back from like 20 down with 3:16 to go in the game.

Dunc: 2 blocks away from the first and probably only ever quad-doub in the Finals. Game 6 of the 03 Finals.

Tony Parker: Tie: 30 ft 3pter at the buzzer at the end of the 2nd half, game 2, 04 semifinals against the Lakers, then goes in the stands, all crazy-like. And his back and fourth 2OT game against Baron Davis 2005 Season with Manu and Tim both Sidelined.

Manu: 48 Point game against Phoenix, 2005 Season

Avery Johnson: Baseline jumper game 5 99 NBA Finals

Sean Elliott: Tie: Memorial Day Miracle & Dunk on 3 hawks his first game back from Kidney transplant surgery.

Malik: Dunk on Mutumbo

Bruce: Blocks Chauncey Billups shot in game 7 of the 05 NBA finals

SJax: Tie: Hitting three 3's in game 6 of the 03 Finals, and For once a Spur standing up to fucking Karl Malone, Telling him and waving him off to go sit on the bench

Kerr: Game 6 against the Mavs in 03 NBA WCF

Big Shot Rob: Game 5 05 NBA finals

Mario Ellie: Game winner against Houston 99 season blowing kiss to Old team's bench

baseline bum
06-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Tony Parker: Tie: 30 ft 3pter at the buzzer at the end of the 2nd half, game 2, 04 semifinals against the Lakers, then goes in the stands, all crazy-like. And his back and fourth 2OT game against Baron Davis 2005 Season with Manu and Tim both Sidelined.

Actually, that was the end of the first quarter of game 1. It was right after Tony shook Kobe Bryant so badly for a layup it got put in the NBA Ankle-Breakers DVD.

Boulevard1
06-17-2006, 04:24 PM
I agree with most of what's been said...

Tim Duncan/David Robinson- Game 4 of the 99 Finals against NY. Larry Johnson pump fakes both of them up in the air, Tim behind him, DRob in front, and they both get all ball in coming down for a block.

Bruce Bowen- my facts may be a little mixed up here, but I seem to remember the first time as a Spur that Bowen faced Kobe, it was in SA, Kobe started trying backing Bruce in on the right corner and Bruce poked the ball away from him (which Terry Porter picked up and started a fast break)

Block on Nowitzki

SPARKY
06-17-2006, 04:34 PM
DRob - I vaguely recall one dunk he had on Ewing which was off the charts. Also, seeing him in person walk off the court in his last NBA game ever as the Spurs were to win their 2nd championship was a special moment. The Quad.

TD - Hmmm. I'd have to go with the time he threw down a tomahawk dunk on the Lakers in the '02 series. The Spurs were down but man, that was the most vicious dunk I've ever seen him make. Beyond that, the shot in Shaq's face right before 0.4* was nice. The J in Malone's face at the end of one season was awesome.

Manu - the dunk in Game 7 of the '05 Finals. Taking the ball right out of Kidd's (or Jefferson's, I forget) hands in Game 6 of the '03 Finals was pretty sweet too. Of course, there are a million other highlights he's made in all of his 4 seasons with the team.

TP - pick any one of his driving scoop reverse layups shot from like 2 feet off the floor. He had some pretty stellar games in this postseason.

Bowen - the block on Billups in Game 7 of the '05 Finals. Blocking Nowitzki near the end of Game 5 of the series this season. Dropping 30+ points on Kobe in the '04 series, IIRC.

AJ - the 'I will not be mishandled' game (1998 playoffs 1st round v Suns) in which he went off for like 30 against a cocky Nash and KJ backcourt. AJ was the best point guard on the floor in that series.

Elliott - MDM.

Alvin - the quad.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
tp - floppin after every missed drive = dude deserves a cannes award.

ShoogarBear
06-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Rasho Nesterovic: The awesome display of speed when he ran away from those peasant villagers carrying torches and pitchforks -- that was awesome.
:lmao :lmao :rollin

greens
06-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh, I really like this thread! Great idea!

Let's see:

Robert Horry-Game 5 from last year...It just tops everything else. That three literally saved us...I really do believe that if we had lost that game, then the championship would not be ours...Plus Horry was phenomenal in the entire fourth quarter and overtime. His dunks, his defense, everything was superb...It's as though he came alive! I don't know. I've never seen Horry better than Game 5! Also all his other clutch 3 point shots that he made in 2005 playoffs, in that season...Truly the best clutch player...

Bruce Bowen-The block on Dirk this year...I mean that was just amazing. Here is a 7 footer who practically makes that shot 9 out of 10 times, then you have Bruce, a way shorter guy block his what would have been winning shot...from the side! I mean he jumped as HIGH as Dirk did..lol...We would have been done in that game if it weren't for that block. I am sure Dirk would have made that shot easily...The block from last year on Chauncey, I also feel saved the game. Because there was still plenty of time left, if that three went in, we could have lost the game easily...It was just incredibly well timed block! And I also love the Appolo chair that Bowen pulled on Kobe back in 2004, as well as his 7 out of 8 three pointers against Lakers in 2003, etc...There are lots of great moments...

Timmy- wow, well that's too many to choose from...I mean Timmy is ALWAYS solid, and great...I still like that crazy shot that he did while falling to the floor in the Lakers/Spurs series in 2004, granted it was ruined by .4...but still that was incredible...just amazing! Game 7-third and fourth quarter of last year, phenomenal, he took the team on his shoulders and carried them to the win! Just that whole second half of Game 7, he gave those 3 point assists to Bruce, Manu, and Robert...all in fourth quarter...And just, I've never seen him being so aggressive and so passionate before. It was like he was on fire.

Manu-also way too many to name...I can't remember which game it was, but Manu was at the free throw line, and missed his free throw and then grabbed the rebound, went behind the three point line, and made a 3 just like that...I don't think the opposing team even realized what hit them cuz Manu did all that in a few seconds before the other players could even react! LOL...Also I love his half court shot, that was phenomenal...

Tony-I love that one play when he stole the ball, ran across the court to the other side and dunked! lol...it was just so quick...I also love that shot that he hit in half court as the buzzer was about to sound off...He was literally flying and throwing the ball in the air at the same time...Just great stuff...

Sorry that I can't be exactly precise on what date and what game these plays were in...It's hard to remember all the details...

Admiral
06-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Nobody has a favorite Jack Haley moment? Surely one of his many cheerleading routines for Dennis Rodman caught someone's attention! :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
06-18-2006, 12:47 AM
My favorite Mengke moment is when he scored 5 points in a game against the Pistons. The Spurs won by like 30 and he played most of the fourth quarter.

:elephant

aaronstampler
06-18-2006, 03:57 AM
DRob: A random Sunday game on NBC against Shaq and Penny in San Antonio. The Spurs were down big early but they made a huge run at the end and won. Robinson had this one sick dunk at the end over Shaq while Penny was fouling him and knocking him to the ground. Rodman got so excited he kissed him on top of his head.

Rodman: This flying offensive rebound and dunk, all in one motion at Golden State in '94. Only because I was there. He got WAY up there.

Tim: The '99 series, Game 4 against the Lakers. Shaq said he was tired of seeing TD abusing Horry, so he'll guard him one on one. I think Tim went off for damn near 40 and the Spurs won easily. Shaq would beat Kerr in a 3 point contest before he hope to guard Duncan in his prime.

Tony: The '03 series, Game 6 against the Lakers. He just kept sinking jumper after wide open jumper, and some floaters too, and the whole Forum just got silent. It's like everyone collectively knew if TP hits open shots, the offense can't be stopped.

Manu: I forget if it was Game 1 or Game 2 last year against the Suns in the WCF, but the play where he went around the back on Marion on a drive and finished with a behind his back layup to make it a 3 point game. His 2 hand dunk over Stoudemire was cool too.

Bruce: Game last season at NJ, where Vinsanity was going off, he had like 35 of their first 50 points and just hitting ever shot and the Nets were beating us by 15 or so. Then on some jump shot in the 3rd quarter Bruce subtly got his feet under Vince's, trying to get him to sprain his ankle or something, and Vince got so mad at him that he got ejected. The Spurs went on to an easy win.

Elliott: Everybody says the MDM, so I'll say in '95, when we won a game at Cleveland with a last second Elliott layup off a sideline inbounds play. Boner actually could design quite clever plays at times.

AJ: The one play in NY in 1999 when we weren't embarrassed to have Avery Johnson as our starting point guard.

SJax: At the podium after Game 6 with NJ, when he suggested to the media that next year him and Manu should be the starting backcourt, with Manu at point, I guess. Manu had this look on his face like "What the hell?" SJax is crazy.

Kevin Willis: Same game, when he put his elbow braces on, even though he was coming in with like 20 seconds left to play.

Horry: The dunk in Game 5 before his three. That was nuts. Right then I started to believe we'd win that game.

gospursgojas
06-18-2006, 10:05 AM
AJ: The one play in NY in 1999 when we weren't embarrassed to have Avery Johnson as our starting point guard.

:lol :lol :lol

So true

baseline bum
06-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Tim: The '99 series, Game 4 against the Lakers. Shaq said he was tired of seeing TD abusing Horry, so he'll guard him one on one. I think Tim went off for damn near 40 and the Spurs won easily. Shaq would beat Kerr in a 3 point contest before he hope to guard Duncan in his prime.

Are you sure that was game 4 and not game 3? That was hilarious... Shaq was running his mouth to the media about how he was gonna shut down Duncan, and Tim scored on the first 5 or 6 possessions of the game and after that Shaq retreated to guard David. I remember a quote from Costas in that game saying something like Duncan 16, Lakers 15 in the first quarter. I remember Jerome Kersey was huge in the third quarter of that game too, and then JJ sealed it in the fourth.

cherylsteele
06-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Hmmm....I can't believe you all forgot Ice.
His 63 point against the Jazz in 1978 to secure the scoring title against David Thompson....this after Thompson score 72 earlier that day. I believe it was the closet.....or one of the closest races in history.

baseline bum
06-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I became a fan the year they traded Ice, so my best Ice moment was being there when his number was retired in a game where the Spurs beat Jordan and Chicago.

Obstructed_View
06-18-2006, 03:59 PM
I almost forgot about AJ's pirouette against Damon Stoudamire in the '99 WCF. While not a championship winning shot, it was a supremely satisfying moment as an AJ fan to see him pump-fake Stoudamire out of his socks, pivot and calmly hit that jumper.

cherylsteele
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I became a fan the year they traded Ice, so my best Ice moment was being there when his number was retired in a game where the Spurs beat Jordan and Chicago.
I wasn't a fan yet....not until 1980....but that was a great moment in Spurs history. It was not long after the NBA/ABA merger and helped show that that those players truly belonged.

ALVAREZ6
06-18-2006, 04:20 PM

wrong, he dunked that 2-handed.

:spin :spin :spin

davi78239
06-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Anyone remember Timmy's rookie year in 98 when the Bulls came to SA and Jordan had blocked Tim's shot, but then later he returned the favor on Jordan when Tim contested his shot?

Spurologist
06-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Manu - Manu avoids the tight pressure defense by Marion by going behind the back with reverse spin for the crucial layup against phoenix in the western conference finals.

gospursgojas
06-19-2006, 02:20 AM
Anyone remember Timmy's rookie year in 98 when the Bulls came to SA and Jordan had blocked Tim's shot, but then later he returned the favor on Jordan when Tim contested his shot?

Then MJ beat us with a game winner that game

Sportman
06-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Manu-also way too many to name...I can't remember which game it was, but Manu was at the free throw line, and missed his free throw and then grabbed the rebound, went behind the three point line, and made a 3 just like that...I don't think the opposing team even realized what hit them cuz Manu did all that in a few seconds before the other players could even react! LOL...Also I love his half court shot, that was phenomenal..

Against Miami, manu scored 28 points and in the same game he stole a ball to SHAQ, it was a foolish play by SHAQ :lol

Fabbs
06-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Manus behind the back dribble and layup vs Kings this year. Also had a split the D dunk. I was looking forward to his three point drainer being classic at the end of Gm 7 this year.

Bob Horrys drive n lefthanded dunk vs Pistons last year. He launched from way out.

Duncan had a clock running down turnaround 18 foot jumper from the baseline last year vs Det. :spin

Phenomanul
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Someone needs to make a Spurs' History Highlight Video... something spanning all our history and all of these classic moments...

timvp
06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Tim Duncan - He had a disgusting fadaway shot in his first playoff game versus the Suns in 1998. Going into that game I was a little worried about how he'd play in the playoffs. He looked great as a rookie but the playoffs are a different animal. In the first half, Duncan a little timid and I think had like two or four points or something like that. But then in the second half, he just exploded. At one point in the fourth he hit like seven or eight shots in a row, IIRC. It was at that point I realized that a championship could one day come to San Antonio de Bexar.

David Robinson - In his final game of his career, David took a pass on the perimeter and drove in for a tough layup. The look of determination on his face as he drove in gave me calm during that game against the Nets because I just knew David wouldn't let the Spurs lose that game. He was going out in style. 13 points, 17 rebounds and amazing defense in his final game. It was the perfect end to his career ... and that layup, which in his younger days would have been a thunderous dunk, showed to me how much he really wanted it.

Gregg Popovich - I became a believer in Pop during the 1997 season. I just loved his defense first view of the game. He didn't stand for players not giving 100% defensively. Even though the Spurs sucked and were losing every game, the defensive intensity shown was something never seen before out of a Spurs team.

Tony Parker - When Parker destroyed Gary Payton in the first round of the playoffs as a 19-year-old rookie Euro point guard. That mini-dreamshake move he made was classic. There had never been a Euro point guard who did anything in the NBA ... much less 19 years old. There had never been a point guard who did anything in the NBA who didn't go to a US college. It was just unheard of. But Parker showed he was for real right off the bat.

Manu Ginobili - Manu has had too many highlight plays over the years to name them. His 2005 playoffs was legendary. If I had to break it down into on play, it'd be that dunk in Game 7 versus the Pistons. He went up like he was going to lay it up and then turned it over and dunked it. However, the thing that makes Manu the player that he is today is his fearlessness. And I knew he was a hardass when he was a rookie and he stood up to Kevin Garnett one game and then a couple games later he drove the ball right at Shaq relentlessly.

Sean Elliott - Nothing can really top MDM. That's probably the highlight of the franchise's history. But his dunk against the Hawks in his comeback was up there. He had a buzzer beater against the Suns in 1999 over George McCloud. And of course his many high flying dunks earlier in his career.

Bruce Bowen - Probably the block on Billups in Game 7. Or maybe the 7 threes he hit against the Lakers in Game 2 of the 2003 playoffs. But Bowen isn't about stats, so those aren't good representations of his career. I remember once in his first year with the Spurs when Bowen was guarding Iverson and he tipped the ball away, Iverson got it back, Bowen tipped it away again, Iverson got it back and then Bowen tipped it away a third time and it went off of Iverson and out of bounds. The crowd at the Alamodome gave him a standing ovation.

Avery Johnson - 1999 championship winning shot has to top the list. It was the perfect end to an awesome season. Also Game 4 versus the Suns when AJ destroyed the best threesome of point guards ever assembled in Steve Nash, Jason Kidd and Kevin Johnson. 30 points, 7 assists, 1 turnover and countless chants of "Av-er-y, Av-er-y" in the Alamodome.

Malik Rose - The dunk on Dikembe has to be number 1. The game against Philadelphia in 1999 when he had 22 and 9 is right up there too. It was his coming out party. When he got his second consecutive And 1 and then they showed a picture of his family celebrating in the stands was classic.

Robert Horry - The Three.

Mario Elie - The game winner against the Rockets was awesome. Games like that helped that 1999 team believe. Another thing I'll remember Elie for was when the Spurs were beat by the Suns in the 2000 playoffs, Elie was interviewed after the game and flat out said that he'd love to be back but the Spurs need to get younger on the perimeter so they'd be better off without him. I've never heard an athlete say something like that.

Stephen Jackson - His final three in Game 6 against the Nets in 2003 to wrap up the championship. Followed closely by the times he stood up for his teammates against the likes of Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone.

Jaren Jackson -- He hit so many big threes in the 1999 run that I don't even know which one was the biggest.

Antonio Daniels -- His fake timeout and layup against the Lakers in 2002 was so huge. Without that play, the Spurs don't win the game and probably get swept by the Lakers for the second year in a row. If that happened, I don't know if 2003 would have been possible. The way AD played against the Lakers in 2001 was also commendable. It was a great series for him ... even though the Spurs were destroyed like no team was destroyed before.

Steve Kerr -- His three-point show against the Mavs. The one where Steve Nash ran to an invisible ghost instead of guarding Kerr had to be the best.

Jerome Kersey - Game 4 versus the Lakers, IIRC, he was huge. Without his spark, the Spurs are coming back to San Antonio for Game 5. I also remember in 2000 against the Suns in Game 2 when he went up to get a defensive rebound and landed on someone's foot. Even though he was in obvoius pain, he did what he could to continue to play defense for the rest of the possession. He then limped straight to the locker room. He had broken his ankle and his career was over ... but him playing on that broken ankle instead of lying on the ground was Jerome Kersey in a nutshell.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 05:34 PM
The one where Steve Nash ran to an invisible ghost instead of guarding Kerr had to be the best.

I've brought up that play like five times here. I wish someone had had the guts to ask Nash WTF he was thinking.

Phenomanul
06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I've brought up that play like five times here. I wish someone had had the guts to ask Nash WTF he was thinking.

Cue link to the Nash photoshop express.. :lol

ShoogarBear
06-19-2006, 05:52 PM
:lol

DarrinS
06-19-2006, 05:52 PM
In no particular order

Horry -- Game 5 dunk
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/06/20/PH2005062000029.jpg

Kerr -- Killing Mavs
http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/spurschamps/slideshows/spursnetsgame5/images/11.jpg

Elliot -- MDM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/elliott_miracle_200w.jpg

Manu -- This dunk against Phoenix.
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2005/05/24/bc.bkn.spurs.suns.ap/tx_manu_dunk_ap.jpg

Bowen -- Blocking Dirk
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/2005-2006/0518spurs_bowen_jl.jpg

Tim & Dave -- Too many to count