View Full Version : Nets Set To Extend CEO Thorn and collins

ducks
10-15-2004, 10:25 AM
NETS SET TO EXTEND CEO THORN

By FRED KERBER
PHOTO ROD THORN

Email Archives
Print Reprint

October 15, 2004 -- WILKES BARRE, Pa. — Rod Thorn says he likes a challenge. Well, he's got one with the Nets, but he'll also have five more years to figure it out.

Thorn declined specifics but confirmed last night he is on the verge of signing a new deal as CEO of the Nets, a pact sources have said will run for five more years.

"I haven't signed anything yet. We've had discussions and I don't anticipate any problems," Thorn said before the Nets opened their pre-season schedule with a 92-84 loss to the Knicks here last night.

"I feel very strongly we're going to be good. It's a challenge and I look forward to the challenge. I've always been very competitive and challenges appeal to me," Thorn added.

Thorn didn't sound as certain that Jason Collins will be extended before the Oct. 31 deadline, but he didn't rule it out.

"There isn't anything imminent right now. But that could change."

Regarding coach Lawrence Frank, who is near signing a two-year extension, Thorn said, "We're hopeful we'll be able to end up doing something."

With Knick Tim Thomas re-launching his tired verbal abuse act, the Nets came here expecting one thing in terms of revenge: Nothing.

"I guarantee we'll see a whole lot of nothing," Jefferson said beforehand. He was right.

Frank defended Collins against Thomas' insinuation the center was a "coward" with "I know Jason Collins obviously is not a coward. Seen the play live, seen the play on tape. That was a basketball play."

Collins declined comment.

ducks
10-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Nets: Rice shoots for spot on roster
Friday, October 15, 2004
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. -- There was no bad choice, really, but everywhere Darius Rice goes he's often greeted with so you're the guy who passed up millions for four years of accounting and macroeconomics.

He can live with it. The only regret he has is that the NBA community still values potential more than polish, so four years at the University of Miami didn't exactly help his draft position or bank account.

"I may have done things another way, if I knew how (general managers) think," said the Nets rookie, who was regarded as a lottery pick as a senior in high school, only to have his stock fall for four straight years at college.

"I thought about it a lot at the time, but my mom was really big on my getting an education. And now I'm two classes from my (financial management) degree, so I have no regrets. All I want to do now is focus on the future, because I really think I have a good chance of sticking with a great organization. I have to make the most of this opportunity."

He has to win a numbers game. The Nets have a "minimum of two spots" open on their 15-man roster, Lawrence Frank believes, and he adds that Rice has "a legitimate shot."

Here's why: "He makes shots," CEO Rod Thorn said. "He is an NBA-skill level player. He is an athletic 6-9. Those are rare. Now we just have to see how he reacts out here."

Last night, Rice played the final 15 minutes in a 92-84 loss to the Knicks at Wachovia Arena, and it was a typical rookie experience. He missed his first three shots, took his fourth without hesitation and buried it from 18 feet.

He also nailed a 3-pointer and a one-dribble pullup in the final minute to finish with seven points. The only glaring mistake was giving up a blow-by to the Knicks' impressive rookie, Trevor Ariza, but for the most part, he was active -- albeit overmatched and out of step.

"D-Rice didn't get into the game until late and he showed a lot of energy and poise for a young fella," teammate Eric Williams said. "He just needs some more attention to detail on defense, but that will come. Overall, he showed well."

"I've learned a lot, especially about defense," said Rice, the nephew of NFL legend Jerry Rice. "Guarding Richard Jefferson every day, having an all-star opposite you in every practice, you can't help but learn a lot.

"I really want to be here, I like the team, I gel with the guys. That's why the Nets brought me here. I try to use my length, speed, athleticism and shooting, and those things will help me find my niche."

Notes:
The Knicks, looking bigger, quicker and more athletic for most of the night, fell behind by 13 in the third period, but the Nets' third unit scored one point in the first 10 minutes of the fourth period. Jefferson led the Nets with 18 points in 24 minutes. Jamal Crawford (19 points, seven boards, six assists) was a one-man show for the Knicks, Michael Sweetney (11 boards) was a load inside, and Kurt Thomas hit all seven of his shots....

Thorn said he expects to sign a new contract "very soon," and anticipates an extension for Frank will follow. As for Jason Collins, who is eligible for an extension before Oct. 31, the Nets CEO isn't sure it's going to get done before the deadline. "Whether we get him signed or not right now, we still want to keep him," Thorn said. "Jason is going to play a lot of minutes for us this year."...

The Nets have five scouts watching preseason games, looking for live bodies. "You're always looking to tweak," Thorn said. "In the next couple of weeks, we'll find out if some of the guys we're looking at are strong enough to help us when the real deal comes along."...

There was no incident between Tim Thomas and the evil empire last night, which is just the way Lenny Wilkens wanted it. He spoke to the forward about his bitter feelings against the Nets yesterday and told him to cool it. "I told him he's got to rise above everything, put all that behind him, and look forward to this year," the coach said. "And you prove yourself night in and night out. That's how you deal with it."